Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
What kind of department he worked for won't really matter at all. I've talked about this in the past a lot but there are tons of specialty police agencies almost all of which receive the same state mandated minimum training.

Just as examples, there are city police, Sheriff police, state police, railroad police, airport police, park district police, school district police, university and college police, transportation police, forest rangers, conservation police, water reclamation district police, zoo police, and I'm not even kidding about those last two.

As a campus cop you generally have the same police authority as any municipal cop and possess the same certifications and training and in some cases you even earn better money than the city police.

As for the question why was he pulling over a car for a minor traffic violation, the answer is the same as why any cop stops cars. We're looking to find criminals, warrants, drugs, weapons, make arrests, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Big K of Justice posted:

How much does it factor into the situation that the guy was university police? I'm sort of thinking, why is this guy pulling over a car for a minor moving violation off campus? Are University Police treated as full fledged PD's there? The ones I've seen were more like "campus security"/private security contractors.

Different universities have different powers. My understanding is that university has a memorandum of understanding with the city of Cincinnati that they could conduct traffic stops and assist city police as necessary outside of the school's property. This is pretty standard for college agencies that have full police powers. Also it seems the university is rescinding that MOU and restricting their officers to campus property in the aftermath of this shooting.

Ironically, University of Cincinnati is considered one of the top criminal justice schools in the country. :laugh:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Branis posted:

If I even thought I was gonna get indicted for murder i'd probably eat my gun. I'm too much of a freebird for prison.

What kinda gun would you use?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
maybe like a swiss K31 just for the variety. I can almost bet nobody in the US has died by 7.5x55

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Branis posted:

maybe like a swiss K31 just for the variety. I can almost bet nobody in the US has died by 7.5x55

Nah man if you wanna go unique, I bet no ones died at all to a 6.5x47 in the US. Or at all.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would off myself with a Gyrojet.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
http://hollandandholland.com/gun-room/bolt-action-magazine-rifle/

ITT crowdfund this gun for me in .465 H&H and i'll kill myslef with it.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I will pledge $1 per every D&D poster you take out before you off youslef.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cop gay. So What posted:

I will pledge $1 per every D&D poster you take out before you off youslef.

I will match this contribution to your afterlife 401k.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

mah puckins forum

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
What do I get at the $50 level? Can I choose the location?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
for 50 dollars i'll directly reference you in my manifesto.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
loving done. I'll send out copies of it with my Christmas cards.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
UCPD shooting chat time. This is my old department, I've been gone for 10 years, worked there for 5, from 2001-2005. No longer in LE.

The DA here has a hardon for dissolving UCPD and has for years. Some of it is stoking the fires for political reasons, and some of it is his personal (and wrong) opinion. There is definitely a place for UCPD, and it comes about in things like not arresting students for low level bullshit and just referring them to the student code of conduct board or the residence life board. There is an absolutely huge emphasis on community policing, and I remember doing things like blocking off a side street while the students put up an impromptu 10'x100' slipnslide behind one of the dorm so they could get a good running start, hanging out at grillouts, and sitting down with students in the dorm lounges for a round of Halo during dorm patrols. It sounds like it would be security work, but I also remember having to do a raid on a football player's dorm room after we got intelligence from the city that he had broken into an off-duty city officer's car and taken his duty weapon, taser and body armor; having a ROTC student go on a improvised bombing campaign in his dorm (MRE heaters in plastic bottles); having a shooting happen while we were clearing an uruly crowd after a shutting down a student group dance that got way out of hand; and blocking off traffic while one of my coworkers tried to talk a guy off the ledge of an 8-story parking garage and failed.

When I started working there, there was a very clear line between the U and the City. The LT would jump your poo poo in a minute for conducting a traffic stop on the city street in front of the freshman dorms, and you better have a drat good justification for conducting it. In my time there, there was a slow eroding of that bright line, mostly due to the increasing crime rate off campus. By the time I left, we had a directed patrol setup where one of our guys would run a 2-man car with a CPD officer in the areas immediately adjacent to campus, and my understanding is that line has been further eroded since I left to the point that the U is not just permitted, but directed to patrol within a certain radius of campus (5 blocks or half a mile or something like that) in response to a couple of high profile incidents of students being victimized off campus. That resulted in the department undergoing a hiring surge to staff the new patrol beats. The people that I was hired in with and that came shortly after me are now the senior officers, LTs and CPTs, and I can't help but have the feeling that the conversations we'd have during downtime about wanting to be allowed to go do work in the city and wanting "more action", that between the guy who'd been chief for like 20 years retiring and having them rise up to the leadership positions, it's changed the culture of the department to the point that something like this was almost bound to happen.

My general feeling of the incident after watching the video and talking with some friends of mine, is that he inappropriately had his gun out and NDed into the victim when he was fighting with him, then lied to cover his rear end. He was not shown his own bodycam video before it was shown today, and his story not lining up with the bodycam footage is what hosed him into a murder charge.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Branis posted:

for 50 dollars i'll directly reference you in my manifesto.

I'd like you to reference me as Ayatollah Skollulah ali Al Baba.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
The University Police where I went to school are a full department and are now getting contracted out to patrol parts of the city proper because they're much quicker than the city police at responding. To be fair though, the city police are severely understaffed and overworked... http://fusion.net/story/164271/detroit-has-fewer-police-officers-today-than-at-any-time-since-the-1920s/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCozh_vbYdM&t=220s

If tazing a sovereign citizen in the nuts is improper use of a taser, I don't want any of you to be right.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

CommanderApaul posted:

UCPD shooting chat time. This is my old department, I've been gone for 10 years, worked there for 5, from 2001-2005. No longer in LE.

The DA here has a hardon for dissolving UCPD and has for years. Some of it is stoking the fires for political reasons, and some of it is his personal (and wrong) opinion. There is definitely a place for UCPD, and it comes about in things like not arresting students for low level bullshit and just referring them to the student code of conduct board or the residence life board. There is an absolutely huge emphasis on community policing, and I remember doing things like blocking off a side street while the students put up an impromptu 10'x100' slipnslide behind one of the dorm so they could get a good running start, hanging out at grillouts, and sitting down with students in the dorm lounges for a round of Halo during dorm patrols. It sounds like it would be security work, but I also remember having to do a raid on a football player's dorm room after we got intelligence from the city that he had broken into an off-duty city officer's car and taken his duty weapon, taser and body armor; having a ROTC student go on a improvised bombing campaign in his dorm (MRE heaters in plastic bottles); having a shooting happen while we were clearing an uruly crowd after a shutting down a student group dance that got way out of hand; and blocking off traffic while one of my coworkers tried to talk a guy off the ledge of an 8-story parking garage and failed.

When I started working there, there was a very clear line between the U and the City. The LT would jump your poo poo in a minute for conducting a traffic stop on the city street in front of the freshman dorms, and you better have a drat good justification for conducting it. In my time there, there was a slow eroding of that bright line, mostly due to the increasing crime rate off campus. By the time I left, we had a directed patrol setup where one of our guys would run a 2-man car with a CPD officer in the areas immediately adjacent to campus, and my understanding is that line has been further eroded since I left to the point that the U is not just permitted, but directed to patrol within a certain radius of campus (5 blocks or half a mile or something like that) in response to a couple of high profile incidents of students being victimized off campus. That resulted in the department undergoing a hiring surge to staff the new patrol beats. The people that I was hired in with and that came shortly after me are now the senior officers, LTs and CPTs, and I can't help but have the feeling that the conversations we'd have during downtime about wanting to be allowed to go do work in the city and wanting "more action", that between the guy who'd been chief for like 20 years retiring and having them rise up to the leadership positions, it's changed the culture of the department to the point that something like this was almost bound to happen.

My general feeling of the incident after watching the video and talking with some friends of mine, is that he inappropriately had his gun out and NDed into the victim when he was fighting with him, then lied to cover his rear end. He was not shown his own bodycam video before it was shown today, and his story not lining up with the bodycam footage is what hosed him into a murder charge.

Hey there old pal, good to see you poke your head back in. My thoughts are pretty much in line with your assessment. I don't think he intended to execute him, but he hosed up in a horrendously stupid way and a man is now dead. Hopefully he sees prison.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

What's NDed? I'm sure I'm familiar with the term but not the abbreviation.

I remember one of our academy instructors drilling into us "if you have your gun out, you better be lawfully able to use it."

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Negligent discharge

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Had he been truthful, would he still have gotten indicted?

edit: for any uk cops on here, how long does an application process take, and are there specific depts that may be interested in hiring tech folk?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

awesome-express posted:

Had he been truthful, would he still have gotten indicted?

edit: for any uk cops on here, how long does an application process take, and are there specific depts that may be interested in hiring tech folk?

I think if he said he panicked and hosed up he'd still be charged, but I don't think it'd be a murder charge.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

FWIW at his arraignment today the judge mentioned that he was charged with Murder and Involuntary Manslaughter.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

IM sounds about right given the circumstances.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

IM sounds about right given the circumstances.

Agreed, in my opinion. And Jesus Christ that DA is a total piece of poo poo. Starts off calling the stop "chickenshit" when it totally wasn't, and the most recent interview I read about, he says "They're not cops" when talking about UCPD officers, when they very clearly are. What a tremendous, reeking piece of poo poo.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

He said they're not cops? :stare: link, please.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

DA's prejudice is gonna get a murderer off scott free lol.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Grem posted:

DA's prejudice is gonna get a murderer off scott free lol.

Finally the good guys win one

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

lol

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

lol

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
lol

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

He said they're not cops? :stare: link, please.

http://youtu.be/TrSfVk-tqug

Take some BP meds first, he's pretty brutal towards the department.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Well, I tried to watch that but I couldn't get past the first few minutes. That prosecutor is a total piece of poo poo. I don't think Tensing was in the right, but the Prosecutor is completely whitewashing the whole thing already, in a really obviously biased populist narrative.

Is this guy in an elected position? Because I'd expect that behaviour like that would get him fired up here.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB8katyjc9Q

Articles of Confederation!
Free Inhabitant!
Rape!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Davethulhu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB8katyjc9Q

Articles of Confederation!
Free Inhabitant!
Rape!

Man. It's the muffled far away squealing that really sells it.

Also i looked at the comments why did I look at the comments :cripes:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Phuzzy posted:

Man. It's the muffled far away squealing that really sells it.

Also i looked at the comments why did I look at the comments :cripes:

You poor bastard, get yourself vaccinated https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shut-up/oklfoejikkmejobodofaimigojomlfim?hl=en

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 31, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7871434

lol

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
The same assholes that make that arguement are the same ones who refuse to ask their neighbors to turn down their music and instead call the police right away, or one of the other million stupid loving calls that happen every second of every day across the US that could be solved by adults acting like adults but instead end up calling the cops.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I for one welcome our new mugger overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

One step closer to being beyond thunderdome.

• Locked thread