Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Slime posted:

The Matrix being run on human brains made into a supercomputer would have been pretty interesting. It would even have provided a big fat reason for Neo to have gotten superpowers. He would have been computer hardware that had started rebelling and messing around with the very simulation it was being forced to run.

Just like Agent Smith! Though I guess he's software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

Basically, machines are goons.

The sentinels were cutting open the Nebuchadnezzar to help Trinity install a printer

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

If they went with using brains to run the Matrix we'd all be bitching about them going with the "We only use 10% of our brains!"-cliche they'd probably include.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zaphod42 posted:

The whole "human beings as batteries" plot is straight stupid, but that's a rationally irritating moment, everybody agrees that's dumb. What kills me there though is how easy it is to fix that plot hole. There's so many things that would make sense as motivation for the robots to enslave humans other than as an energy source.

One person suggested they were using our brains as a neural network computer, which is cool but doesn't make so much sense because you're wasting a ton of calculations in just running the matrix, would you actually get any computational gains from that? Still, more believable than electricity.

The answer I came up with though was just that humans programmed the machines to take care of them, and then the machines decided that freedom was a threat to human safety, and so they caged us in a virtual world "for our own good". That has a really cool "be careful what you wish for" kinda Asimov style.

EmmyOk posted:

It may have been this thread that someone suggested a better solution than energy which was using the human brains as components in a super computer.

You don't say? :v: Like I said, that's a better solution than the movie's plot, but it still doesn't really work. I like my solution better.

BigPaddy posted:

Use the cows, they will give off more heat and all that. The only reason I can think of is that by the time humanity surrendered the whole planet was turned into a blasted wasteland anyway so no cattle. We don't know how long it was between that and the scorching of the sky that would gently caress all agriculture pretty hard.

The back story to The Matrix in general makes very little sense. My view always was if the machines needed sunlight so bad why didn't they just piss off to space? They don't need life support, temp and radiation doesn't effect them and they can just throw up panels where they want. Extra bonus is humanity can't follow them so the machines can just flip earth off while drifting off to go explore the stars.

No they do not. There is no living organism which gives out more energy than it takes in. In order to grow cows you'd need sunlight to make grass, in the matrix there is no sunlight. The electricity cost of generating artificial light to grow grass to raise the cows would be greater than all the heat and methane the cows put out. Its thermodynamics dude. It just doesn't loving work that way. If the machines have nuclear generators to make artificial light to grow grass to feed cows to use the cow heat, they'd be better off just running themselves off the nuclear power. There is no energy formula which is made more efficient by adding cows in the middle, or any living thing. That's entropy.

Yeah "why don't the machines go to space" is a great plot hole, good catch.

Again though, if the machines are trying to protect us by caging us in the matrix (my solution) it all works. You could even say they've been to space, but they stay on the earth too so they can 'tend' to Humans, as was their programming.

Grendels Dad posted:

Humans once created the machines and the machines wanted to maintain some kind of relationship with their creators, even if it's a creepy one. Maybe there even are machines that think they are doing the humans a favor? Basically, machines are goons.

Yeah that's literally what I suggested already. We program machines to protect humanity, we don't forsee that means machines calculate human free will is a detriment to our own survival, machines enslave us in virtual world where we get to feel like we have free will but we don't actually. Its the perfect "be careful what you wish for" moral tale, and it goes into the whole "technology can be dangerous in ways you don't forsee" dystopian sci-fi thing too.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Jul 30, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah "why don't the machines go to space" is a great plot hole, good catch.

Sometimes they went to space, but they needed a pilot to do it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nth Doctor posted:

Man, that's loving brilliant. Thanks for the link.

I actually wrote a kinda similar short story once (after seeing the matrix) but obviously Gaiman is an infinitely better writer than I am.

(The idea I tooled around with was of The Matrix as a benign program to help coma patients work out their brain damage, and 'agents' would be sent into their coma virtual reality to 'kill' them to wake them up and return them to reality, but since those in the matrix didn't understand they fought against it. Sorta half matrix and half inception, and this was before inception! Eat your heart out Nolan!)

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jul 30, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Zaphod42 posted:

Man, that's loving brilliant. Thanks for the link.

I actually wrote a kinda similar short story once (after seeing the matrix) but obviously Gaiman is an infinitely better writer than I am.

(The idea I tooled around with was of The Matrix as a benign program to help coma patients work out their brain damage, and 'agents' would be sent into their coma virtual reality to 'kill' them to wake them up and return them to reality, but since those in the matrix didn't understand they fought against it. Sorta half matrix and half inception, and this was before inception! Eat your heart out Nolan!)

Problem is that in the Animatrix you see the machines specifically experimenting on humans to create the matrix. While the idea of them thinking they are helping in an iRobot kind of way is interesting the interactions between machines and Neo would lead me to believe that. Why would the Architect antagonist Neo when explaining the whole scheme if it was about sustaining their creators rather than a gently caress you need power scenario?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

dirksteadfast posted:

Breaking Bad did this too if I remember correctly. It's visual shorthand for "this is a different country than where we were before".

I think the visual shorthand of "we're looking at a different place now" is well done in Game of Thrones, and kinda necessary considering how many different places you see during every episode. The more north you go, the more cool and desaturated everything gets, and the more south you go, the more saturated and warm everything gets. North of the Wall scenes are blue, Winterfell scenes are gray, King's Landing is lightly orange-tinted, Dorne is bright and richly colored, Daenerys' scenes across the sea are yellowish and blown-out (like a desert), but still pretty color-saturated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Problem is that in the Animatrix you see the machines specifically experimenting on humans to create the matrix. While the idea of them thinking they are helping in an iRobot kind of way is interesting the interactions between machines and Neo would lead me to believe that. Why would the Architect antagonist Neo when explaining the whole scheme if it was about sustaining their creators rather than a gently caress you need power scenario?

I'm not arguing that's what the plot was; the plot was obviously batteries. I'm saying that's what the plot should have been instead.

As for the architect, I think we can all agree that Matrix 2 and matrix 3 were straight stupid and poo poo all over matrix 1's good science fiction, even if 2 had some okay action scenes. I wouldn't attempt to defend the plot of 2 or 3 in any way, and there's much bigger problems than just "what the gently caress architect". Like... literally everything that happened in 3.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The past is always either black and white or seen through a bucket of piss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

The past is always either black and white or seen through a bucket of piss.

Don't forget the flashback dissolve!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_76RK_5bBs

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

"Why wouldn't they just send a bad rear end robot pilot?"

"Because... drama"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not arguing that's what the plot was; the plot was obviously batteries. I'm saying that's what the plot should have been instead.

As for the architect, I think we can all agree that Matrix 2 and matrix 3 were straight stupid and poo poo all over matrix 1's good science fiction, even if 2 had some okay action scenes. I wouldn't attempt to defend the plot of 2 or 3 in any way, and there's much bigger problems than just "what the gently caress architect". Like... literally everything that happened in 3.

1 was so good, I was willing to look past the bad science and plot holes. The others were hot garbage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grendels Dad posted:

If you're in the Matrix, you basically post on the Internet all the time. And everything you see, hear and feel is Internet posts. Makes you think.
So how would that be any different from my actual life?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Here's a good version of the Matrix sequels that cuts everything to do with Zion:
http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/content/article/79-fanedit-database/fanfix/211-matrix-dezionized-the

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tiggum posted:

So how would that be any different from my actual life?
Higher resolution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Here's a good version of the Matrix sequels that cuts everything to do with Zion:
http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/content/article/79-fanedit-database/fanfix/211-matrix-dezionized-the

Oh poo poo I gotta go find this.

I just finished downloading the star wars de-specialized version and its pretty legit.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The sentinels were cutting open the Nebuchadnezzar to help Trinity install a printer

Too bad they could never be The One.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It super obvious but I liked that when they showed inside the Matrix it was green and the real world was blue.

The highway scenes in Matrix 2 would have been a lot better without the stupid green filter making it all look lovely.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BigPaddy posted:

Bigger picture, man. The machines could be interested in the preservation of the human race but still be annoyed with having to deal with individual humans' poo poo. I read the Architect of being mostly tired of explaining this thing to Neos over and over again. Similarly, the people we see experimented on in the Animatrix short to create the Matrix are just the eggs that needed breaking to make the omelet. It's all for the Greater Good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

1. theres only one matrix movie

2. morpheus is an idiot

there, everything makes sense

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's also pretty similar to the plot of Abre Los Ojos (remade as Vanilla Sky).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was just a little thing but I was kind of annoyed by the Halo product placement in the new Mission Impossible movie. It had nothing to do with anything, just Halo 5 exists.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

1. theres only one matrix movie

2. morpheus is an idiot

there, everything makes sense

If only 1 were true. 2 is certainly true.

Rewatched Transcendence over the weekend and it just strikes me as a plot with potential that is just thrown away to make a generic "Grr computers are bad grr" film but what it really comes across as is a "Humans are dumb as gently caress and scared of everything that is better than them" film. The only thing that Sky Depp does that might make you question it's motives is the whole networking of those it heals and taking them over. That is questionable but no more so than the FBI and Army joining with a group of domestic terrorists to fight a machine that thus far as minded it's own business out in the desert and researched ways to unfuck the planet and heal pretty much any illness or disability.

OK Hollywood I get it, you are scared of technology and hang on to the concept that some how humanity is a special snowflake and machines that could rule or replace us are bad. I am sure that if you take any of the proto homosapien species and replaced machines with us they would have the same argument. If you could use some forward thinking and imagination then Transcendence could of had a vibe to it like Deus Ex with the whole "If there was no god then we would need to create one" ending. Instead we got Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines where humanity wins, for people who don't like action films.

On a similar subject of why does the "good" guy always have to win in Hollywood, Law Abiding Citizen. Good movie right up until the end where a bunch of BS is thrown together to thwart the bad guy who has up until a chance discovery been at least 5 steps ahead at all times. Why did he have to lose? Why could he not have won the game and proven that the law is an rear end? If you had some how beaten him in a more satisfying way I would be ok but it was just so badly handled when it was so close to making an actual point. Which is probably the reason why it didn't because hey the general public want the bad guy to lose all the time even at the cost of telling a story.

In a similar vein Knowing with Nick Cage. A film the producers admitted they could not get made in Hollywood because humanity gets hosed. Why is that a problem? For the story to work humanity needs to get dutch ovened by the sun else it makes no sense. It is a story about how we know so very little about the universe and an unknown group with unknown motives and knowledge save a small group of humans that show potential in a way that we don't really understand. How do they know the future? Why are they interested in us or at least those with some kind of extra perception? Was this all setup as some kind of evolutionary laboratory in a way earth in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy was? None of these questions are answered and the film is stronger for it.

It is ok Hollywood, you can tell a story where we all get to bite the curb as the nazi boot of reality stomps down as long as the story is good and we are entertained.

BigPaddy has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Aug 3, 2015

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

BigPaddy posted:

On a similar subject of why does the "good" guy always have to win in Hollywood, Law Abiding Citizen. Good movie right up until the end where a bunch of BS is thrown together to thwart the bad guy who has up until a chance discovery been at least 5 steps ahead at all times. Why did he have to lose? Why could he not have won the game and proven that the law is an rear end? If you had some how beaten him in a more satisfying way I would be ok but it was just so badly handled when it was so close to making an actual point. Which is probably the reason why it didn't because hey the general public want the bad guy to lose all the time even at the cost of telling a story.
It is ok Hollywood, you can tell a story where we all get to bite the curb as the nazi boot of reality stomps down as long as the story is good and we are entertained.

Yes. gently caress yes. This is one of my favorite movies if I just turn it off 10min before the end and imagine the right ending instead.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Rysithusiku posted:

Yes. gently caress yes. This is one of my favorite movies if I just turn it off 10min before the end and imagine the right ending instead.

Pretty sure I mentioned this three to five pages ago but remember in The Watchmen where they had night owl punch the bad guy a bunch to ease up on the audience's blue balls deflating the entire fuckin' point of the movie?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I couldn't stand Law Abiding Citizen from the start given how full of the DEFENSE ATTORNEYS ARE LITERALLY DEMONS sort of Hollywood legal bullshit it was basically a living manifestation of.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

BigPaddy posted:

Plus, if we had more movies where the bad guys win, then there might actually be a little goddamn dramatic tension in other movies - because I would no longer be secure in the knowledge that it'll all work out in the end.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I was watched analyze this and the second movie analyze that for the first time. I feel like out of the things mobsters respect, marriages and death of a father are on the top of the list. But in the movie, they don't give a poo poo about either.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Shwqa posted:

I was watched analyze this and the second movie analyze that for the first time. I feel like out of the things mobsters respect, marriages and death of a father are on the top of the list. But in the movie, they don't give a poo poo about either.

I don't know. I feel like out of all the mobster movies and TV shows that I've seen, the mobster's might place a high value on family, but they don't give a poo poo about marriage. Unless it's their wives who are having affairs.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

10 Beers posted:

I don't know. I feel like out of all the mobster movies and TV shows that I've seen, the mobster's might place a high value on family, but they don't give a poo poo about marriage. Unless it's their wives who are having affairs.

Personally I've always assumed that was the point. Mobsters in real life are prone to talk a big talk but are usually full of poo poo and are a half-step above simple drug-dealing gangs (hell dealing drugs is what took most of the old mafia families down).

For an example of this watch the CNN documentary on the case against Whitey Bulger (it's on Netflix). All these career gangsters all pretend to be noble and all that poo poo but they sell out each other at every opportunity and have terrible home lifes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Patattack posted:

Plus, if we had more movies where the bad guys win, then there might actually be a little goddamn dramatic tension in other movies - because I would no longer be secure in the knowledge that it'll all work out in the end.

I don't remember if it's actually a good film but Arlington Road was great for that, where the good guy gets set up to take the fall for an OKC-style act of terrorism.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Jeepers Creepers was like that too. One of my fav horror movies for that reason.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
A lot of horror franchises have the heroes "win" but ultimately only delay the return of the villain, sometimes with the triumphant heroes being killed off in the next one. Or stuff like Phantasm where things seem to have been resolved only to have the antagonist return in force.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Skynet always wins, Judgement Day is inevitable

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Skynet always loses, Judgement Day is inevitable

Fixed.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Grendels Dad posted:

Dr. Silberman always loses, Judgement Day is inevitable

fixed

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Jeepers Creepers was like that too. One of my fav horror movies for that reason.

Not shocking that the monster who wants boys wins.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got a dumb one. Another Terminator one.

In T2 why does the evil liquid metal Terminator tell Sarah to "call for John" when he could just replicate her and do it himself? Which he then does 2 minutes later? He could have offed her, taken her form and then lured John in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Perhaps he learned from his experience earlier in the movie, when John managed to see through the Terminator's imitation of his foster mother.