Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

tofes posted:

You can send it to me

Alright, sent it. I'll post a write up some point tonight for whoever you pick for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the edmonton oilers will select 22 year old thoroughbred center Ryan Strome because of his immense offensive prowess and his amazing quickocity and the fact that you fuckers are taking all the centers

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

the edmonton oilers will select 22 year old thoroughbred center Ryan Strome because of his immense offensive prowess and his amazing quickocity and the fact that you fuckers are taking all the centers

He actually plays RW mostly.

There are still good centers left so I don't quite get the panic also Mark Scheifele was a uhh slightly premature pick in my hockey opinion.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

eXXon posted:

He actually plays RW mostly.

There are still good centers left so I don't quite get the panic also Mark Scheifele was a uhh slightly premature pick in my hockey opinion.

he played winger for the isles out of necessity mostly, he was drafted as a C and despite them talking about moving him to wing permanently, the impression I got from the Isles coverage I saw last season is that his future is still at C

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Probably won't be around for my next pick so I sent Menamino another list.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Yeah I like Strome but he's not a great draw guy or defensive guy. I'd think he's going to be a winger unless he significantly improves in that dept

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
my first line will have almost outscored the entire Buffalo Sabres from 14-15 in selecting Nick Foligno

haha suck it Ottawa way to go letting him go

so my first line scored 121 goals last year. Buffalo scored 161.

already better than my lineup from last year

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Foligno was not good on Ottawa and I will never understand where his performance in Columbus came from.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Strome owns and his defensive game took a huge step up this past season. It was his biggest question mark going into last year but he stepped it up in a big way and improved every line he played on.

He played wing mostly and still might be a RW this year, maybe on Tavares' line, but I still think his future is as a 2C although now Matt Barzal being in the system might allow Strome to play on the first line permanently depending on development. Either way I wanted Strome next round so gently caress all y'all

VJeff posted:

Probably won't be around for my next pick so I sent Menamino another list.

got it

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Menamino posted:

Strome owns and his defensive game took a huge step up this past season. It was his biggest question mark going into last year but he stepped it up in a big way and improved every line he played on.

He played wing mostly and still might be a RW this year, maybe on Tavares' line, but I still think his future is as a 2C although now Matt Barzal being in the system might allow Strome to play on the first line permanently depending on development. Either way I wanted Strome next round so gently caress all y'all

:hfive: stromebros

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

anyway since all the young ELC centers I wanted are gone I'm gonna go in the complete opposite direction and take Rick Nash

I guess perception of him is a little low around here since he's coming off yet another poor playoff run. But he had one of his best seasons ever at the age of 31 and still has a lot of good hockey left. I remember someone in this thread talking about how rare PPG players were nowadays when justifying picking wingers as their first two picks and I have sort of the same rationale when it comes to 40 goal scorers. A lot of younger and cheaper guys have potential to develop into what Nash is now, but I'd rather get the sure thing since my favorite high end young dudes are gone.

I don't think Nash is a superstar capable of carrying a team on his own, but he's a really really good #2 guy to someone like Toews and they can both play in any situation. Plus when Nash vanishes in the playoffs he'll have captain clutch to bail him out anyway so I think it's a good balance there as well

Furnaceface is up

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nash is interesting because he's so much younger than you'd expect. He's probably still got some very good years left in him, and even if his scoring deflates he's able to play that grindy defensive style and soak up minutes if need be. I'm not sure I'd want him to be my only offensive threat, but he's a very good complementary player (which in itself undersells a guy who can score 40+).

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I like Rick Nash

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OK then lets take a peek at my list and...

The Chicago Blackhaws are going to stick with their gut and go with Jonathan Huberdeau. Ill do my writeup on break, but the tldr is that he has managed to put up some great numbers on a bad/young Florida team and is still likely to improve.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 30, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

metholmoose and the Philadelphia Flyers select Henrik Sedin

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

metholmoose and the Philadelphia Flyers select Henrik Sedin

I was wondering when he'd go. The twins are still incredibly effective players despite their age. There are a bunch of guys like that left out there for some reason. I think most of us - including me - are severely overrating potential (as people tend to do).

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Give me Johnny Gaudreau because he's sick and young and good and cool

Gaudreau - Mackinnon

Price

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Paulocaust posted:

Gaudreau - Mackinnon

Price

Two forwards under 22, what the hell happened to you?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Paulocaust posted:

Gaudreau - Mackinnon

Price

Drown in a pool of blood. I honestly thought he'd go high in the second round. I was just 6 picks away from getting him. I hate you so much.

I'm going to spend the rest of the day brooding now, thanks.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

Two forwards under 22, what the hell happened to you?

Despite popular opinion, I'm not Don Cherry-lite

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

One guy left on a list of seven I made after #31

The nerves

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

ThinkTank posted:

Drown in a pool of blood. I honestly thought he'd go high in the second round. I was just 6 picks away from getting him. I hate you so much.

You're both son of bitches.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ThinkTank posted:

Worth it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Of course Gaudreau gets taken the pick before me. I'm up now right?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

I was wondering when he'd go. The twins are still incredibly effective players despite their age. There are a bunch of guys like that left out there for some reason. I think most of us - including me - are severely overrating potential (as people tend to do).

Yeah I was actually trying to decide between Hank and Huberdeau, it definitely wasnt that easy since the twins are surprisingly productive with little sign of that changing dramatically any time soon.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

If it gets to me before 7, I'll pick later.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Of course Gaudreau gets taken the pick before me. I'm up now right?

yep youre up with Vjeff after you, I have his list ready and at least one of his guys will still be around

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And I have my short list primed so let's get this wrapped before lunch, fellas.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
who remembers when I took Johnny in the 10th round last year.

I remember.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Alright, so there are a handful of good young guys I wanted to take. I made the mistake last year of not taking a solid center early, so I was left with Jordan Staal as my No. 1, and luckily, this guy is still probably one of the absolute best all-around players still undrafted.

The New Jersey Devils are proud to select Derek Stepan to anchor their first line. While not an elite offensive talent, he's certainly proven to be a consistent 60-point player and he's good in all areas of the game. He's only 25 and signed to a reasonable contract.

He joins the deadly defensive duo of Hedman-McDonagh to make the Devils a continually difficult team to play against.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Alright, so there are a handful of good young guys I wanted to take. I made the mistake last year of not taking a solid center early, so I was left with Jordan Staal as my No. 1, and luckily, this guy is still probably one of the absolute best all-around players still undrafted.

The New Jersey Devils are proud to select Derek Stepan to anchor their first line. While not an elite offensive talent, he's certainly proven to be a consistent 60-point player and he's good in all areas of the game. He's only 25 and signed to a reasonable contract.

He joins the deadly defensive duo of Hedman-McDonagh to make the Devils a continually difficult team to play against.

drat YOOoooooou

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was confused at the people complaining about all the centers being gone when Stepan was still around, especially given the gazillion Rangers fans and the just signing a huge extension thing.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I assumed he'd be gone, I'm happy to have gotten a good No. 1 center this late in the 3rd round.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

eXXon posted:

I was confused at the people complaining about all the centers being gone when Stepan was still around, especially given the gazillion Rangers fans and the just signing a huge extension thing.

Well we were talking about good centers

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

tofes posted:

Well we were talking about good centers

Stepan is good but I agree he's a level below the big guys. He doesn't drive possession or have much of a shot, but he's good in all areas of the game, he's consistent as hell, and he'll probably top out at 65 points. To grab a guy like that this late in the game when I was preparing to be terrible down the middle is nice for me.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Vjeff is proud to select, from the Detroit Red Wings, Jimm Henrik Zetterberg

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I assume El Gallinero Gros' Flames are just going to get contracted like the Alberta economy amirite?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

As promised I will spend my break letting you all know the joys of

Jonathan Huberdeau

Hubes (yes that is totally going to be his nickname) was one of the bigger touted players in the 2011 draft and ended up going 3rd overall. With a prominent (but injury riddled) junior career in the Q he has displayed an amazing offensive skillset which has carried over well into the big league. He has a natural ability to handle the puck like Jay Feaster handles a hoagie and this helps make him a tough player to defend as he is just as adept at holding on long enough to slide out a great pass as he is to split the D for a shot. With Subban on the team to teach him in the ways of the buttcheck he is going to be a key part of the offense for the Blackhawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Menamino posted:

Vjeff is proud to select, from the Detroit Red Wings, Jimm Henrik Zetterberg

I was deciding between Stepan and Zetterberg. Zetterberg is definitely the better player and I might regret not taking him, but I think Zetterberg is on the downswing. But really, it was a tough choice.

EDIT: Actually, I didn't realize how low Zett's cap hit was, I probably would've taken him had I known. Enjoy him, I guess. I'm still happy with Stepan.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 30, 2015

• Locked thread