Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

mitztronic posted:

They already do this, though? Or at least I have read that they do a hundred times online.

I've never owned a pioneer mixer myself

There's a master attenuation switch on the back of the DJM700 through the 2000. I think the settings are 0, -3 and -6 dB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TheWevel posted:

There's a master attenuation switch on the back of the DJM700 through the 2000. I think the settings are 0, -3 and -6 dB.

Yup and on the several Pioneers I've ran through my PA system they've all needed to be knocked back to -6/-12 as the output of them is so loving hot. It's silly easy to get a distorted signal from a Pioneer if your system is particularly sensitive, it's either adjust EVERYTHING along the signal chain or knock it back on the mixer in about 5 seconds.

*edit: Looking at the Pioneer site knocking back the attenuation to -12 though apparently means the end result from the mixer is 0db if you're running in the red. Though whether they mean it's knocking back ALL signals including the channels as well as the master out is unknown.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 29, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

mitztronic posted:

They already do this, though? Or at least I have read that they do a hundred times online.

I've never owned a pioneer mixer myself

Nah, the 0db marker is the last green or maybe the first orange on the DJM-900. Of course most DJs ignore this, it's really annoying to go on after someone that's been redlining the whole time :negative:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
DJM 900 has an extra 8 dB of headroom aside from what is shown on the LEDs. It has 18 dB of headroom but the VU/leds only show 10 dB. Not sure about other models but I've read this from several sources.

Yeah yeah this is different from "moving" the 0 marker for the LED but it's the sound guys job to make sure the level is appropriate. All you can ask the mixer to do is not distort/clip

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

19db of headroom from 0db on the meter, yeah. But when you're running one track and it's smashing OVER on a channel and you're mixing in another which is doing the same, it's not all that much room to work with. I've seen so many occasions where Mr DJ is drunk off his rear end and the mixer is just lit up like a Christmas tree. I know the LEDs are there but the game isn't 'light up as many as possible'.

...and the Nexus comes from the factory set up at -18db.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

88h88 posted:

19db of headroom from 0db on the meter, yeah. But when you're running one track and it's smashing OVER on a channel and you're mixing in another which is doing the same, it's not all that much room to work with. I've seen so many occasions where Mr DJ is drunk off his rear end and the mixer is just lit up like a Christmas tree. I know the LEDs are there but the game isn't 'light up as many as possible'.

...and the Nexus comes from the factory set up at -18db.

Two tracks at +6 dB (horrible, how does this even happen) puts you at +9 dB on the output, which should not be causing distortion on the DJM-900, and the sound tech just needs to dial down his output to account for the idiot on the stage. From that point of view, you still have almost 10 dBs of range before you are clipping tracks in the mixer (assuming the 19 dB of headroom is accurate, which I see no reason it isn't)

I am not disagreeing with anyone, but Pioneer realized there is nothing they can do about people playing xmas tree sets so they at least designed their hardware to prevent poor audio quality. The complaint was:

quote:

I wish Pioneer would push out mixers with 'adjusted' meters that flashed up the red LEDs at 0db, everything would sound so much clearer on the floor.

This just isn't true*. I would imagine clubs have the professional DJM mixers with these designs, so it shouldn't be distorting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a $1600 pioneer mixer is going to distort your audio at "+6" dB ont he VU meter. They know their audience.

I can understand other mixers, controllers, etc having this problem but not the pioneer pro models*.

edit: *to be fair, I can only speak for the DJM900, I'm not familiar with the other models really

edit2:

TheWevel posted:

Atten switch is not what is relevant here. Operational headroom to causing distortion is what you need to know, and that is designed into the electronics and I wouldn't even know where to look that info up. It happens to be widely available for the 900.

That atten switch is to allow for better control on the output level. If you're clipping two tracks together in the mixer changing the output level isn't going to help, unless this attenuator adjusts the input level for all the channels? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 29, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I usually manage the DJs at my events because I like wires and plugging stuff in and for the most part everyone is good about metering. If someone pushes into the red I can hear it right away and go over and turn the gain down and they will just apologize and not do it again. Two tracks metering together at +6 (at peak, maybe +3 is better) on the master is fine and sometimes I have to tell people its OK to turn it up a little. I always just tell DJs who haven't played with us before to watch their gains before we start.

We also only use Allen and Heath, I know Pioneer is standard but I find it much harder to work with their mixers. I just don't understand how you can smash your sound into red and not realize it. We generally have the sound plugged right into the mixer because we host in places that aren't actual venues so there is no outboard with a limiter or anything and you can tell right away if its clipping. I think a lot of DJs just don't realize how badly it fucks your sound up.

When we do play at venues I guess the sound dude catches it or whatever or maybe people just have respect for expensive sound systems. Also people don't always seem to realize you don't need to sit in yellow the whole time and you can bring your volume up and down and work your mix.

So yeah I don't even think its drunk DJs a lot of the time but just people not really understanding how the vu and headroom and clipping works.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
2 questions not related to the current discussion:

1. I'm running some workshops at the radio station to teach people how to mix. One of them is looking to mix electronic lounge/trip hop, so I'm trying to have some examples of that. What are some common techniques for that sort of music? Also some recommendations for some tracks to use would be helpful, I don't have a lot of trip hop or chillout. This is probably a Mitztronic question :v:

2. Can someone recommend a USB hub to use with a DJM-900NXS and a pair of 2000 nexuses? My residency has that setup so I think I'm gonna give Serato's club kit a spin.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Mixing lounge/trip-hop is almost exactly like mixing hip-hop, only there's usually a quiet part in the middle of the song. Not everything is going to be in a similar key/bpm and sometimes beats are intentionally off-grid so beginners should focus of selecting/building a series of tracks in similar BPM and that complement each other musically and mixing the end of one with the beginning of the other.

Because there are not long intros and outros (and songs don't last 10 minutes) they will need to learn how to drop in a record on time, rather than utilizing the long lead-in common to house/edm/etc. Typically downtempo tracks top out or get boring at ~4 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less. The challenge for beginners or people more used to mixing homogenized styles of dance music will be selecting/beatmatching a new record in that short length of time. Learning to count measures or (on vinyl) how to visually spot the quiet part/end of a song and estimating when to drop in the next one is very important.

I mix trip-hop, downtempo, future/trap, and rap together and do a lot of live blends but that's hard mode and I've been playing out since '99.

Probably the biggest thing to get your head around is that downtempo/lounge is generally 70-110 BPM and you'll have to get used to playing a wider range than Zac Efron, basically. Also a lot of things you think will work together in your head don't, so there's a lot more trial & error because the songs are intended to be listened to as-is and not designed for mixing with each other. It's also more common to have songs fade out/suddenly end so dropping in the next record on time is important.

Also they'll be way too busy for crowd surfing, Jesus posing, or standing on the DJ booth. Back when I used to play vinyl the majority of my time was spent selecting/beatmatching the next record. Digital makes all these things easier though.

Any class on mixing downtempo should have a unit on scratching/acapellas because that's really the fun part of playing slow music, and learning to scratch will help train students to drop in new tracks with precision.

bad day fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 30, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Thanks for all the info. They already do the downtempo electronic show here, so building a collection shouldn't be a problem for them. I'm mostly just teaching them the fundamentals and directing them to resources that they can use to build on that knowledge, I don't know how to scratch so they'll have to teach themselves that :v:

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Here's a downtempo mix on what I'd consider "hard mode" - playing only blends - but this is rehearsed and uses lots of looping/cue points. https://soundcloud.com/jqam/ceritfied-gold-preview

Here's one I'd consider "easy mode" - I like this guy DJ Private Ryan's work but he's not really blending or matching keys here. https://soundcloud.com/djprivateryan/private-ryan-presents-rebirth-part-2-modern-chill

Edit: maybe that second one is more R&B but the technique is pretty much the same.

If you're looking for downtempo start out with Kruder & Dorfmeister and their side projects. Also Gramatik's beatz & pieces and Street Bangerz series. He has a BitTorrent bundle up here: https://bundles.bittorrent.com/bundles/gramatik which should provide enough music to get started.

Also this: https://bundles.bittorrent.com/bundles/uz

UZ isn't really downtempo but a lot of his music is sort of keyless and easy to make blends from.

bad day fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 30, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mitztronic posted:

Two tracks at +6 dB (horrible, how does this even happen) puts you at +9 dB on the output, which should not be causing distortion on the DJM-900, and the sound tech just needs to dial down his output to account for the idiot on the stage. From that point of view, you still have almost 10 dBs of range before you are clipping tracks in the mixer (assuming the 19 dB of headroom is accurate, which I see no reason it isn't)

I am not disagreeing with anyone, but Pioneer realized there is nothing they can do about people playing xmas tree sets so they at least designed their hardware to prevent poor audio quality. The complaint was:

That atten switch is to allow for better control on the output level. If you're clipping two tracks together in the mixer changing the output level isn't going to help, unless this attenuator adjusts the input level for all the channels? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not disagreeing here either, I'm trying to understand just how their poo poo works myself as their website and forum are really unhelpful in actually being straight with what's going on inside those overpriced boxes of buttons and faders. I too would like to know if the attenuator switch adjusts input levels as opposed to output. I should probably just test one at some point!

I know for a fact though their older stuff circa 10 years ago distorted like crazy so they've obviously learned that they needed to do something about it.

If sound dudes wanted proper control over a DJ's propensity to keep turning up which is more an ear fatigue thing than anything else they'd put some speakers on stage linked directly to the main outs. :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My favorites downtempo mixes are probably Code 4019 by DJ Krush, Celestial Mechanix by DJ Spooky and Blazing the Crop by Rae & Christian.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

bad day posted:

Mixing lounge/trip-hop is almost exactly like mixing hip-hop, only there's usually a quiet part in the middle of the song. Not everything is going to be in a similar key/bpm and sometimes beats are intentionally off-grid so beginners should focus of selecting/building a series of tracks in similar BPM and that complement each other musically and mixing the end of one with the beginning of the other.

Because there are not long intros and outros (and songs don't last 10 minutes) they will need to learn how to drop in a record on time, rather than utilizing the long lead-in common to house/edm/etc. Typically downtempo tracks top out or get boring at ~4 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less. The challenge for beginners or people more used to mixing homogenized styles of dance music will be selecting/beatmatching a new record in that short length of time. Learning to count measures or (on vinyl) how to visually spot the quiet part/end of a song and estimating when to drop in the next one is very important.

I mix trip-hop, downtempo, future/trap, and rap together and do a lot of live blends but that's hard mode and I've been playing out since '99.

Probably the biggest thing to get your head around is that downtempo/lounge is generally 70-110 BPM and you'll have to get used to playing a wider range than Zac Efron, basically. Also a lot of things you think will work together in your head don't, so there's a lot more trial & error because the songs are intended to be listened to as-is and not designed for mixing with each other. It's also more common to have songs fade out/suddenly end so dropping in the next record on time is important.

Also they'll be way too busy for crowd surfing, Jesus posing, or standing on the DJ booth. Back when I used to play vinyl the majority of my time was spent selecting/beatmatching the next record. Digital makes all these things easier though.

Any class on mixing downtempo should have a unit on scratching/acapellas because that's really the fun part of playing slow music, and learning to scratch will help train students to drop in new tracks with precision.

This is a great post. I have nothing to add to what he said.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

2. Can someone recommend a USB hub to use with a DJM-900NXS and a pair of 2000 nexuses? My residency has that setup so I think I'm gonna give Serato's club kit a spin.

Why do you want to plug your laptop in? I'd just use flash drives

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dopo posted:

Answer's in the bit you quoted, he wants to use Serato with the setup.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of hard-mode DJing, DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist finally uploaded a high quality recording of one of their nights on the Renegades of Rhythm tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHViKdHdIk0

One of the best shows I've ever been too so I'm glad they recorded one of their nights.

Dopo posted:

Laziness.

bad day posted:

Thanks for this, I conveyed most of it to her.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Isn't it more of a pain in the rear end to set up your laptop though? That's probably the biggest reason why I like CDJs over Traktor.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
If you use Serato then chances are the place you're playing has a Serato box already and all you have to do is plug in your laptop.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
And if it's Traktor then you literally just plug into a USB port in the back of the CDJs.

Not having to lug around your laptop or worry about losing anything important when drunk is very nice though.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Speaking of hard-mode DJing, DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist finally uploaded a high quality recording of one of their nights on the Renegades of Rhythm tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHViKdHdIk0

One of the best shows I've ever been too so I'm glad they recorded one of their nights.

Hell yes. Can't wait to watch this when I'm back on proper internet

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

aeglus posted:

Not having to lug around your laptop or worry about losing anything important when drunk is very nice though.

Yeah that's what I meant. Also space can be awkward sometimes.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Wow, that Shadow/Cut Chemist video is GREAT. Thanks!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My Traktor Audio 6 poo poo the bed this weekend. I've tried multiple computers, multiple USB ports, Windows 7, Windows 8, different cables, etc etc etc. The unit lights up when I plug it into a USB port, but all I get is a blinking 'USB' light on the box, the PC never detects it. I've tried everything I can think of and it definitely looks like the hardware has failed.

I'm out of warranty by a good year and a half, has anybody had good luck getting Native Instruments to replace hardware out of warranty? It is going to suck if I have to spend $250 to buy another unit. I'd switch to Serato just out of anger but I already have a NI controller so I'd be literally replacing my entire setup.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

revmoo posted:

My Traktor Audio 6 poo poo the bed this weekend. I've tried multiple computers, multiple USB ports, Windows 7, Windows 8, different cables, etc etc etc. The unit lights up when I plug it into a USB port, but all I get is a blinking 'USB' light on the box, the PC never detects it. I've tried everything I can think of and it definitely looks like the hardware has failed.

I'm out of warranty by a good year and a half, has anybody had good luck getting Native Instruments to replace hardware out of warranty? It is going to suck if I have to spend $250 to buy another unit. I'd switch to Serato just out of anger but I already have a NI controller so I'd be literally replacing my entire setup.

I doubt they would replace it but you can probably find a used audio 6 for less than $200 on craigslist. Or you can look into a focusrite or something cheaper. Maybe go to your local music store and ask them if they can do repairs or at least tell you whats wrong with it?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
pro click:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOCTkH2DdpA

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Firaga posted:

Isn't it more of a pain in the rear end to set up your laptop though? That's probably the biggest reason why I like CDJs over Traktor.

For me it has been, so I went back to CDs / USB key. There's now a fuckton of equipment all around the mixer including at least one or two other laptops already setup for later in the night. I once had some kid scream at me because he already had his laptop plugged into the USB ports in the CDJ and I disconnected them to connect mine since I was up for my set. He actually tattled on me to the guys who organized the party.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Firaga posted:

Or you can look into a focusrite or something cheaper.

Wait, third party interfaces can work with traktor and timecode records?

EDIT: No they can't.

I think I'm just going to pick up a mixer that supports Traktor. I really don't feel like giving money to NI again after this $300 unit lasted all of 2.5 years.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 3, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

revmoo posted:

Wait, third party interfaces can work with traktor and timecode records?

EDIT: No they can't.

I think I'm just going to pick up a mixer that supports Traktor. I really don't feel like giving money to NI again after this $300 unit lasted all of 2.5 years.

I have some friends who use third party for Traktor but none of them use time code, just controllers.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
To be honest a $300 unit is pretty cheap for DJ equipment. I've spent more than that on mixers that only lasted ~3 years with heavy usage.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I use an SL3 and the only reason I do so is because pioneer cdjs with cue buttons are expensive as gently caress and I like having an easy browser /notes on cues/ better waveforms. I will buy the XDJ-RX soon so I can move to USBs though. I think this is the main reason everyone new uses laptops. It is great to use a box until you start getting good enough to chill out and want to drink and have fun at the club you play at.

edit: also in my city serato is 99% of box users, not sure why, probably because rap music

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Not everyone could afford CDJs and turntables were still the thing. Final Scratch was trash and Traktor wasn't as good back then.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Harley C posted:

I use an SL3 and the only reason I do so is because pioneer cdjs with cue buttons are expensive as gently caress and I like having an easy browser /notes on cues/ better waveforms. I will buy the XDJ-RX soon so I can move to USBs though. I think this is the main reason everyone new uses laptops. It is great to use a box until you start getting good enough to chill out and want to drink and have fun at the club you play at.

edit: also in my city serato is 99% of box users, not sure why, probably because rap music

I started out with lower end CDJs and moved to a controller/laptop setup as it gave me more flexibility in performance options than the top end Pioneer kit. $2k for a controller setup vs $6k+ for a Pioneer CDJ setup was a no-brainer really.

Also I can just throw tunes through Rekordbox if I need to use CDJs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm spinning a frosh party at a local fraternity in a few weeks, and I have a couple of questions about iTunes integration in Traktor. I'm going to be DJing from late afternoon through the night, and won't really be mixing until later when it becomes 'turnt up', so to speak. This means, naturally, I'll be running a kind of 'wedding DJ' playlist for the early evening - playing out nostalgic tunes, requests, classic hip-hop, etc. I already have a lot of this in my iTunes but it needs some beefing up.

Is there a way to analyse tracks and/or play them from the 'iTunes' field (and its playlist subfields) in the Traktor browser without importing them to the collection? I'd like to be able to search and sort iTunes and its playlists in Traktor the same way I do with Traktor proper - that is, by BPM, Key, Date Added - without actually importing 200GB of generic party music into its collection. Is this possible?

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it looks like this is mostly possible, except now I'm looking for a workaround that allows me to analyze all of these tracks without importing them into Traktor.

EDIT2: I was thinking about it - if I saved my Traktor collection, imported EVERYTHING, waited the days (weeks?) for it to analyze everything and then re-loaded the saved collection, this should work right?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 7, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Soundcloud account disables are only if you upload a copyrighted track, and then dispute it without proper proof you own the rights? Just uploading something that gets taken down won't lead to you getting disabled... right?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It will. You get three strikes.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I've had 13. One that was reversed

e: 12/80 tracks = 15%. I've had my account for a little over 4 years, so I guess that's only 3/year on average but I'm sure I've had 4 in a year.

e2: it seems that it's three strikes of getting a report from a copyright owner, directly versus their automatic system.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 9, 2015

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
All I know really is my friends who do radio shows are getting their stuff taken down, but all of my stuff which is either remixed or slowed down/chopped is not triggering the algorithm.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm spinning a frosh party at a local fraternity in a few weeks, and I have a couple of questions about iTunes integration in Traktor. I'm going to be DJing from late afternoon through the night, and won't really be mixing until later when it becomes 'turnt up', so to speak. This means, naturally, I'll be running a kind of 'wedding DJ' playlist for the early evening - playing out nostalgic tunes, requests, classic hip-hop, etc. I already have a lot of this in my iTunes but it needs some beefing up.

Is there a way to analyse tracks and/or play them from the 'iTunes' field (and its playlist subfields) in the Traktor browser without importing them to the collection? I'd like to be able to search and sort iTunes and its playlists in Traktor the same way I do with Traktor proper - that is, by BPM, Key, Date Added - without actually importing 200GB of generic party music into its collection. Is this possible?

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it looks like this is mostly possible, except now I'm looking for a workaround that allows me to analyze all of these tracks without importing them into Traktor.

EDIT2: I was thinking about it - if I saved my Traktor collection, imported EVERYTHING, waited the days (weeks?) for it to analyze everything and then re-loaded the saved collection, this should work right?

I'm a big Traktor booster, but there is no denying that their iTunes integration is garbage. Serato's has always been better.

If you want to just play straight up out of an iTunes playlist, why not just use your audio interface as the main output for your computer and you can just run iTunes straight out of channel A? I know this is easy to do on Mac (I've done it plenty of times for this exact purpose), I assume it'd be straightforward on windows too

Once you are ready to switch to actual DJing, just stop iTunes and alt/command-tab to Traktor and away you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I don't mind the iTunes integration, actually. I'd rather not simply run iTunes playlists because - aside from being able to sort/search the library by fields I'm used to (Key, Comments, BPM, Date Added), I'd like deck and mixer control to at least sort of run proper transitions/cuts if I happen to come across them in searching. Plus, powerdowns, rewinds, looping/hotcues are the kind of silly flair these fratboys will probably appreciate. I'd like to achieve all of that without adding 200GB of pop, alt-punk, nu-metal, or songs from the Space Jam soundtrack to my actual Traktor library.