Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Anyone want to paypal me the hundreds of dollars required for a 144hz monitor that I totally don't need or have the money for?

I'll send you a nice stattrak m4a4 that's worth like $12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
If you guys want, I'll give you a good discount on coaching. Bout 20 an hour to learn the tricks of the trade, maybe show you 'round train. Extra 5 a month and you can join me on a CSGO Skype think tank with a lot of other pro players and special guests, gonna be great.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Ahdinko posted:

Edit: Huh so theres studies on it and stuff, apparently its like hearing, young people can see faster than old people, apparently fighter pilots can see around 250fps, old people can see around 45, and the rest of the population sits somewhere in the middle?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2826883/

So uh, you should see a difference if youre average and under 50? If you're a fighter pilot you should throw it in the bin and buy a 250fps monitor

What I get from that is that it is something that can be trained and so it stands to reason that people playing CS more than likely are above average for their age group as well.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

What I get from that is that it is something that can be trained and so it stands to reason that people playing CS more than likely are above average for their age group as well.

Uhhh not sure if you're being serious but that's not what you should be getting from that. You need perfect vision to become a fighter pilot in the first place so as a group of course they're going to have better abilities than the general population.

real dilemma fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 30, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

real dilemma posted:

Uhhh not sure if you're being serious but that's not what you should be getting from that. You need perfect vision to become a fighter pilot in the first place so as a group of course they're going to have better abilities than the general population.

i have special eyes

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Or fighter pilots naturally select from people with increased speed of seeing due to requirements put forth.

e; beaten soundly

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Both my mouse and mousepad are ~10 years old. MX510 and some giant black mat with no logo or any identifiable things on it.

Seconding the 144hz-is-very-helpful chat. It's a huuuuge difference in FPS games and once I started to get better, switching the a 144hz is what vaulted me to the level I'm at now because I already had the aim and the 10 years of CS experience.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Special eye says go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0VtkCrbLd8

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Garfu posted:

Both my mouse and mousepad are ~10 years old. MX510 and some giant black mat with no logo or any identifiable things on it.

Seconding the 144hz-is-very-helpful chat. It's a huuuuge difference in FPS games and once I started to get better, switching the a 144hz is what vaulted me to the level I'm at now because I already had the aim and the 10 years of CS experience.

Ha, I used the blue microsoft optical mouse for like 12 years until it died. Kept the same mousepad though, in fact it is not a mousepad at all, but rather a very large black "printer mat" (something you're meant to put a printer on for some reason?) that I picked up from CompUSA when I was in high school. I have not even considered buying a new one at any point.

I am considering upgrading my monitor for hundreds of dollars just to play a dumb game, though.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Does lowering the DPI on your mouse actually do anything?

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

henne posted:

2 sens 800dpi == 1sens 400dpi afaik

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
On a whim I looked up some 144Hz monitors and found this guy: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12178&seq=1&format=2

Currently $50 off and free shipping. Anyone willing to buy one and tell us your thoughts?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

real dilemma posted:

I don't know about FPS, but there have been studies which show actual benefits to gaming. For example: It's been shown that surgeons who play video games are, on average, better than surgeons who do not.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Rahim and ddk casting together, this is surreal :allears:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I've got an extra ASUS VG248QE (144hz monitor) I bought from a goon in the BF thread? or SA mart I can't remember. Bought it $180 shipped from him and will let go for $140 shipped if anyone is interested pm me. I don't know why I bought two of these things, don't ask me why...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

henne posted:

What next poster replied to you and also the fact that on higher (model specific) DPI some mice tend to have various issues with precision.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

what you're telling me is that I should spend $1400 to get an acer xb270hu (144hz 1440p IPS) and a 980ti to go from gn3 to whatever the ak rank is called?

done

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I'm thinking of buying a used desktop off craigslist. My laptop runs GO at about 50fps On the big big maps but for some.reason it causes the CPU to heat up to 85 degrees C lately. What's like the lowest recommended graphics card needed to get like 100fps.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Google Butt posted:

what you're telling me is that I should spend $1400 to get an acer xb270hu (144hz 1440p IPS) and a 980ti to go from gn3 to whatever the ak rank is called?

done
That could get you even a BigStar, I think.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Nam Taf posted:

My old mousepad was one I'd had for almost a decade and was literally stuck to my desk and decaying apart and was the standard office mousepad size.

i got to LEM with a genius netscroll and a4 sheets taped to my desk

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
my old netscroll died but we luckily had the exact same model laying around an office on the other side of town but it doesnt have the bottom side sanded off due to extreme use which is offputting

also i changed the a4 sheets recently and they dont have the same drag and im missing shots so i switched to a Universal History book

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hopefully by the time I'm good enough for 144hz to make a difference in my play they'll actually be more affordable.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I bought a 1440p 144hz IPS display last night so look forward to me going from DMG to SMFC this weekend.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Google Butt posted:

I actually did this 3 weeks ago (buying that monitor and videocard). It's awesome.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

my old netscroll died but we luckily had the exact same model laying around an office on the other side of town but it doesnt have the bottom side sanded off due to extreme use which is offputting

also i changed the a4 sheets recently and they dont have the same drag and im missing shots so i switched to a Universal History book

its easy to get lem in argentina because youre using a better mouse and mousepad than everyone else

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Rahim tolerable when he's casting at LAN. Might just be ddk's greatness overpowering him.

http://www.twitch.tv/taketv_csgo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mcvey posted:

Rahim tolerable when he's casting at LAN. Might just be ddk's greatness overpowering him.

TSM broke my heart yet again. :(

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

mcvey posted:

Yeah I actually like his occassional banter and weirdness when offset by normal casters, even though I was ready to shut down the stream the moment I heard him

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

trying to jack off posted:

its easy to get lem in argentina because youre using a better mouse and mousepad than everyone else

lmao

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Do all major CS:GO tournaments use similar monitors e.g. only 1920x1080 native res 59hz refresh rate TNs? Or are they using higher refresh rates? When I got my 144, I noticed a change in my hit reg (although apparently it was around the time Valve hosed their hit reg up) just due to it 'feeling different' not being used to it.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Ranter posted:

Do all major CS:GO tournaments use similar monitors e.g. only 1920x1080 native res 59hz refresh rate TNs? Or are they using higher refresh rates? When I got my 144, I noticed a change in my hit reg (although apparently it was around the time Valve hosed their hit reg up) just due to it 'feeling different' not being used to it.

It's almost exclusively benq 144 hertz monitors or the asus 144 hertz monitor

the players would actively complain if they ever had to play on 60

e: and they are almost always 24 inch 1080p. 27 is rare.

e2: there is no possible way your monitor refresh rate is going to gently caress with valve's netcode that i know of. source engine games as far as I know don't have game mechanics tied to frames, the game mechanics are coded separately and then the game is rendered. it's not street fighter where mechanics are directly tied to frames. someone correct me if i'm totally wrong

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 31, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I didn't claim it was affecting net code. I'm trying to explain that my aim was somehow worse for a little while when I switched until I got used to it. Hit reg may be the wrong phrase. My muscle.memory aim was suddenly wrong on the higher refresh rate. Does that help?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Yeah it's definitely weird the first day you play with it. I got one recently

I actually noticed the largest immediate difference while surfing.. I just seemed to go farther

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Carol Pizzamom posted:

e2: there is no possible way your monitor refresh rate is going to gently caress with valve's netcode that i know of. source engine games as far as I know don't have game mechanics tied to frames, the game mechanics are coded separately and then the game is rendered. it's not street fighter where mechanics are directly tied to frames. someone correct me if i'm totally wrong

Source engine netcode is tied to frames (tickrate), but that has nothing to do with refresh rate

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

astr0man posted:

Source engine netcode is tied to frames (tickrate), but that has nothing to do with refresh rate

I was under the impression that ticrate, FPS, and hertz are all seperate things that might be tied together indirectly (Like, your monitor might refresh 144 times but if you're only getting 80 fps then it is pointless)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Like, your monitor might refresh 144 times but if you're only getting 80 fps then it is pointless

This part is correct, and refresh rate doesn't have anything to do with csgo netcode.

Tickrate and FPS are directly tied together though from a netcode standpoint. The reason valve is never going to add 128 tick MM servers is because a majority of csgo players can't maintain a minimum framerate of 128 FPS.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

astr0man posted:

The reason valve is never going to add 128 tick MM servers is because a majority of csgo players can't maintain a minimum framerate of 128 FPS.

Not because of the double in bandwidth costs?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ranter posted:

Not because of the double in bandwidth costs?
Both.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

just had two guys playing with a controller kill the rest of my team over and over. i believe they were playing with a controller because although they somehow were able to kill my team they took a while to aim and went for body-shots, so they were pretty easy to click head. my team was screaming the entire time. i don't know how to feel about this.

games get really strange (and salty) when you get crazy rank disparity of 4+ ranks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Very next game had a deagle only supreme and a cz only smurf on my team, we won and both the deag guy and cz did better than me by a bit because I'm garbage

I have to admit even if MM is inconsistent lately, at least it's interesting

• Locked thread