Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Applewhite posted:

My section leaders were total dicks about it if I drew in the logbook on watch >:/

BT

quick question,
What's the name of the ditty that plays 5 minutes before Reville? I can only remember it as the "5 minute warning" song but I know it has to have a formal name. It's the one that's the "starters to your posts" tune they play on racetracks.

"First call"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

THANK YOU! It was driving us nuts.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But yeah, back to drawing on watch, I ended up just taking a blank notebook with me so I could draw in it during boring watches.
Some of my fav stuff was drawn on the midwatch and the 2-7.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I wish shore installations did colors the same way ships do. Whistle, flag goes up/down. Whistle, carry on. No stupid national anthem.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

I wish shore installations did colors the same way ships do. Whistle, flag goes up/down. Whistle, carry on. No stupid national anthem.

You only do colors while in port and you're still listening to the installation play the national anthem tho?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If drivers aren't sitting AT ATTENTION in their car while the anthem plays on a shore installation to commemorate the remembrance of remembering that yes, we have both a flag AND an anthem our entire national defense structure shall collapse

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Maybe one day we will get a CNO who never held a sea command, dictates that ships underway do colors the same way as a shore command and a shitload of nautical accidents happen. That'd be fun

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

Maybe one day we will get a CNO who never held a sea command, dictates that ships underway do colors the same way as a shore command and a shitload of nautical accidents happen. That'd be fun

Every submarine would be lost at sea. :ohdear:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Applewhite posted:

You only do colors while in port and you're still listening to the installation play the national anthem tho?

Never heard it in any port I've been stationed in. Just the whistle.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

maffew buildings posted:

I feel like that or something similar has happened already

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ships inport San Diego and Norfolk both synch their colors with the installation and the OOD has to stand at attention until the anthem is done.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Applewhite posted:

Ships inport San Diego and Norfolk both synch their colors with the installation and the OOD has to stand at attention until the anthem is done.

They sure didn't when I was there.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

They sure didn't when I was there.

When were you there?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

IF YOU'RE AT ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES THEN PROBLEM SOLVED SHIPMATE

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

IF YOU'RE AT ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES THEN PROBLEM SOLVED SHIPMATE

Did you just shipmate me, shipmate?

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Applewhite posted:

can confirm

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Colors during Rimpac at Pearl Harbor can last upwards of ten minutes. Just don't ever be outside.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Did you just shipmate me, shipmate?

Belay my last, Sea Warrior

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Laranzu posted:

Colors during Rimpac at Pearl Harbor can last upwards of ten minutes. Just don't ever be outside.
RIMPAC 07: 17 minutes.... Had 08-12 twice that week... Kill me

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Yoko does it so loud that there's a quarterly bitchfest from the Dependas who don't like being awakened early. It usually devolves into lots of popcorn memes and cries of "Communist!" and a few "well if you weren't up all night blowing everyone you would get more sleep. "

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Laranzu posted:

Used to sprint to get into the ship if it was going to be close. People used to hold the doors shut so others couldn't get in.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Applewhite posted:

When were you there?

Norfolk 04-06, SD 06-10.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

maffew buildings posted:

If drivers aren't sitting AT ATTENTION in their car while the anthem plays on a shore installation to commemorate the remembrance of remembering that yes, we have both a flag AND an anthem our entire national defense structure shall collapse

At least we're not as bad as Army during colors (could only be training bases) but those guys have to park the car in the road, get out and salute/stand at attention. At least that's what "right" looks like.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

hahahahahhah

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Norfolk 04-06, SD 06-10.

It was definitely a thing in SD from 08-10 when I was there. You may have early onset Alzheimer's.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

germskr posted:

At least we're not as bad as Army during colors (could only be training bases) but those guys have to park the car in the road, get out and salute/stand at attention. At least that's what "right" looks like.

Yeah, technically we're all supposed to do that too it's just that nobody gives that much of a gently caress in the Navy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

lol on joint bases the japanese get mad as gently caress because they have to steer around all the parked americans who are stuck for colors.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I always thought it was a bit silly to stop the car.

Then you always have the group of dudes running during colors and then the motivator that's not sure if that's ok or not and tries to call them out anyways in an angry voice to seem assertive

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Octopode posted:

It was definitely a thing in SD from 08-10 when I was there. You may have early onset Alzheimer's.

I guess not at North Island, then?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I guess not at North Island, then?

Maybe. I was on the wet side of 32nd St, and I definitely remember it happened at NAB Coronado, but maybe aviators are too good for colors.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Octopode posted:

Maybe. I was on the wet side of 32nd St, and I definitely remember it happened at NAB Coronado, but maybe aviators are too good for colors.

I wasn't standing OOD past '08 but I thought I would have noticed.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
My glorious beard is shaven. Leave is over. Back to work.

It was really the best leave beard I've ever had

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sitting at home applying for jobs and it occurred to me check out my status and see if I was gained into a unit yet. Called up the NOSC and found out yes, yes you are gained into an IS unit here's a number to call. Oh by the way they muster this weekend (I mustered at the NOSC on the 17th shuffling papperwork). Great I say, wow glad I called to get this info! I had recalled that they didnt muster at the NOSC but at another facility so I ask for the address. They didnt know. But dont worry they told me... If I miss muster I can just show up the next weekend at the NOSC and claim that nobody told me.

What the living gently caress. How does the NOSC not know were units muster?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Laranzu posted:

My glorious beard is shaven. Leave is over. Back to work.

It was really the best leave beard I've ever had

Lol @ shaving

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Sitting at home applying for jobs and it occurred to me check out my status and see if I was gained into a unit yet. Called up the NOSC and found out yes, yes you are gained into an IS unit here's a number to call. Oh by the way they muster this weekend (I mustered at the NOSC on the 17th shuffling papperwork). Great I say, wow glad I called to get this info! I had recalled that they didnt muster at the NOSC but at another facility so I ask for the address. They didnt know. But dont worry they told me... If I miss muster I can just show up the next weekend at the NOSC and claim that nobody told me.

welcome to the glorious US Navy Reserves a global force for incompetence hooyah

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

welcome to the glorious US Navy Reserves a global force for incompetence hooyah

Finally got called back by a chief from the unit.
It's hidden in an army base.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

The NOSC is going to have the ultimate bottom tier FTS dudes running the place. Why would you expect anything different?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

The NOSC is going to have the ultimate bottom tier FTS dudes running the place. Why would you expect anything different?

I have no expectations after only doing Great Lakes and Corry Station.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yokosuka plays both the US and Japanese national anthems in the morning during colors (well, the ships themselves don't but it is played over the base's big voice and is very audible pretty much anywhere).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Had a Marine Corps major at the academy who would stop whatever he was doing and go outside so he can observe colors. He considered colors an "opportunity to exercise my patriotism."

• Locked thread