Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

After the last ~15 pages of this thread, are you sure you still want to?

I guess? My software needs are pretty limited and I generally just work around OS bugs without caring too much, so I'll probably be fine until they get the worst of it patched.

I'm holding off on my Surface though until I've seen it in action there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i hope you mean javascript

Nope. JUST Java. It'll be glorious

Actually I was mistaken. :v:

Corrected and apologies!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

tbh i wasn't sure if that was you or verge

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's under Windows Update.

Ah alright. I guess there will be some popup when it's available.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Lowtechs posted:

No it doesn't. I get new mail notifications with out having it running in the task bar.

Yeah. It even integrates pretty well with the new Action Center notification system.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
From what I understand extension support for Edge won't be available until November this year so I'll only start recommending Windows 10 to people the moment Edge gets ublock

November will probably be a good point where Windows 10 is stable enough for the average user to jump on anyway.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

From what I understand extension support for Edge won't be available until November this year so I'll only start recommending Windows 10 to people the moment Edge gets ublock

November will probably be a good point where Windows 10 is stable enough for the average user to jump on anyway.

uh do you have something against firefox or chrome

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ethanol posted:

uh do you have something against firefox or chrome

No. I use Chrome exclusively. My customers and clients are another story.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

No. I use Chrome exclusively. My customers and clients are another story.

aren't those deadbeats the reason IE is still in the OS? just set that as default

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Papercut posted:

in the exact same situation as you, the only solution I could find was to clean install 7, which led me to discover my license was over 5 years old so I had to do a phone activation. After that I got the icon as expected.

Never got the icon so I just upgraded trough the media creation tool and got win 10 pro that told me it was fully activated and all that.
Then switched back to my main hard drive with the preview build and ran an upgrade to the full version and seemingly it is also now activated and on top of that nothing changed in my settings or apps, even my login screen picture is still there.

EDIT:
Yup just checked with a PID tool and I've got a retail key and thus a retail license of win 10 pro.
Getting tons of mileage out of that free msdn key.

TheCoach fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 30, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a way to go back to whatever version of Windows you were using before? I just did the free upgrade thing or whatever, and every time I try to boot up my laptop's keyboard stops working after about a minute, and after about 5 it just hard crashes every time.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The whole hanging on the black screen with the blue logo thing is getting pretty old. I guess my PC is 2 l33t for this Windows :smith:

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Installed via Boot Camp on a MacBook Pro... it works, but either MacBook Pros have no fan control at the BIOS level, or CPU usage went to max immediately and never dropped. Didn't stick around long enough to find out.

What ever SMC settings are used from your last OSX boot stay the same after a reboot onto Windows. (Brightness fan speed volume , etc) Set it how you like in OSX then reboot into windows

For some reason certain settings are inaccessible in windows

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Still nettled. It's not impressive, but it's at least functional. It's even inoffensive to look at after I customized every last bit of the interface.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheCoach posted:

EDIT:
Yup just checked with a PID tool and I've got a retail key and thus a retail license of win 10 pro.
Getting tons of mileage out of that free msdn key.

Does it end in 3V66T? Because that's the generic key MS issues for Windows activations that are being handled by hardware signature.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Is there a way to go back to whatever version of Windows you were using before? I just did the free upgrade thing or whatever, and every time I try to boot up my laptop's keyboard stops working after about a minute, and after about 5 it just hard crashes every time.

Settings > Updates and Security > Recovery

Has a rollback option

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'll have to reinstall win 7 home professional x64 and "clean update" from there because 10 still doesn't activate.

M$ and ATI update tools are playing musical chairs for me every week or so on Radeon HD 6900 drivers.

I'm just thankful I'm skilled enough to install my $100 mouse drivers from keyboard because upon install because that's the only other noticible issue for me currently.

In their defense it could be a flakey USB port, I do occasionally have to reseat it to work again. I want my "high speed gaming laser" to work right though dang it.

Also my $30 via soundcard I got due to realtek being stupid won't let me switch from 48k mode, but that was busted with 7 too lately. I guess I'll get a real man's soundcard that's 10 ready.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I have a dumb question. I finished setting up Al my mods for skyrim for a playthrough and some other stuff I don't feel like repeating soon. If I upgrade to 10 I will have to set up my programs again right?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

EoRaptor posted:

Does it end in 3V66T? Because that's the generic key MS issues for Windows activations that are being handled by hardware signature.

Chirst... OK then, I'll ignore it for half a year or so because I'm sick and tired of this crap and there's 0 difference to me at this time. Maybe in that time they can at least make it clear what happens with the msdn keys and fix up their upgrade process so that it isn't such a black box where magic things happen and you have no clue if it worked or not.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you do a clean install, then yeah you do. If you keep your stuff, then you won't have to reinstall a thing.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I don't know if this is due to Windows 10, but Chrome on my desktop at home running W10 uses about 80-150 megs of ram with 3-5 tabs open.

The chrome I use at work with the same amount of tabs/extensions running, is kind of a different story.

That's about an hour after a fresh reboot. Both computers are basically the same specs save the video card.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheCoach posted:

Chirst... OK then, I'll ignore it for half a year or so because I'm sick and tired of this crap and there's 0 difference to me at this time. Maybe in that time they can at least make it clear what happens with the msdn keys and fix up their upgrade process so that it isn't such a black box where magic things happen and you have no clue if it worked or not.

If you have a valid MSDN sub, then Windows 10 ISO's and key's will appear there sooner or later. If you don't have a valid MSDN sub, then any existing windows keys and installs sourced from there aren't valid anymore anyway, so don't complain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ddiddles posted:

I don't know if this is due to Windows 10, but Chrome on my desktop at home running W10 uses about 80-150 megs of ram with 3-5 tabs open.

The chrome I use at work with the same amount of tabs/extensions running, is kind of a different story.

That's about an hour after a fresh reboot. Both computers are basically the same specs save the video card.

Does the *32 mean you're running the 32-bit version of Chrome? Would running the beta-channel of 64-bit Chrome make a difference?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

EoRaptor posted:

If you have a valid MSDN sub, then Windows 10 ISO's and key's will appear there sooner or later. If you don't have a valid MSDN sub, then any existing windows keys and installs sourced from there aren't valid anymore anyway, so don't complain.

They might have changed the EULA later on but I'm pretty sure back when I got that key from MSDN the licenses were for life no matter if you were still in MSDN or not. You just couldn't use them in a business environment.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Just stumbled on this https://imgur.com/iHge6RJ but I suppose that was to be expected. Stil a little jarring.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

teagone posted:

Does the *32 mean you're running the 32-bit version of Chrome? Would running the beta-channel of 64-bit Chrome make a difference?

Just tried that, it did cut the memory usage in half (though maybe because it just started up again), but it still sitting at about a gig.

Anyway, sorry, wrong thread for this topic.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I've been running the Insider preview on my desktop for awhile, and despite some flaws, I like it.

Decided to update my laptop today, did a factory reset, fully updated, no windows 10 upgrade offer. It's an older Samsung with an OEM/Retail key, and the key is showing invalid in the Win 10 update tool.

Any thoughts?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Just stumbled on this https://imgur.com/iHge6RJ but I suppose that was to be expected. Stil a little jarring.

Looks legit

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Expected goatse link. Disappointed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The media creation tool is massively confused.

My English (UK) install of WIndows 8.1 made from an English (UK) DVD, running with English (UK) user interface, but Danish locale, downloaded the Danish language version. After seeing the downloading screens in English, I got the EULA presented in Danish.

Well, I try creating a USB stick for installing instead.
Apparently my USB stick isn't a USB stick.

Okay, time to get the ISO and manually copy the contents of that onto the USB stick then. Ugh.
At least it ought to be in English this time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like 10 a lot so far, but any way to get rid of that blue line at the bottom of the active apps on the taskbar? It bugs me for some reason, why is it even there?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

all this is missing is the world "CHEMTRAILS" and maybe something about NSA Backdoors

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Like any well thought-out inquiry over an OS issue, it looks like a Dr. Bronner's label.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Hakkesshu posted:

I like 10 a lot so far, but any way to get rid of that blue line at the bottom of the active apps on the taskbar? It bugs me for some reason, why is it even there?

Are you really saying you don't know that it's to show you the open programs? You didn't realize that?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was going to risk an upgrade install, but I've managed to max out my 64gb ssd despite having a separate hard drive for programs, so I'll be following up with a clean install I guess.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ddiddles posted:

Just tried that, it did cut the memory usage in half (though maybe because it just started up again), but it still sitting at about a gig.

Anyway, sorry, wrong thread for this topic.

How many extensions are you running?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Don Lapre posted:

How many extensions are you running?

Yeah, adblock is a POS and caused :chome: to be a bloated piece of poo poo for me (well, more bloated than normal).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah, adblock is a POS and caused :chome: to be a bloated piece of poo poo for me (well, more bloated than normal).

You should switch to uBlock, it uses the same block-lists and uses much less memory enforcing them.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ElrondHubbard posted:

Settings > Updates and Security > Recovery

Has a rollback option

Just did this, and it crashed while rolling back, now when I try to boot it can't find a valid OS and gives me error 0xc0000098. thanks windows 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Just did this, and it crashed while rolling back, now when I try to boot it can't find a valid OS and gives me error 0xc0000098. thanks windows 10

It's a feature.

• Locked thread