Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Line already dropped 7-9 points in Vegas :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

If VT upsets OSU again....

..hoooo boy. That's a world I want to inhabit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Urban Meyer has lost control of his football program.

E: why even bother announcing that they were suspended at all? Is there some sort of disclosure for lineups this far out?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NippleFloss posted:

Georgia ranked higher than Georgia Tech, weird.

I can understand this one. GT's offense might be taking a step back with the loss of so many skill position players and its defense, while expected to improve, wasn't that good last year to begin with. UGA may be questionable at quarterback, but they can win every game by handing it to Chubb. There's a big talent differential between the two schools, too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

E: why even bother announcing that they were suspended at all? Is there some sort of disclosure for lineups this far out?

:parrot:Media Frenzy:parrot:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bosa is the one that really hurts. Marshall and Wilson are at a stacked position. Smith sucks.

Welcome to the Sam Hubbard show everybody!

Pretty much this. It's gonna be a 3-man rotation at end all night with Hubbard, Lewis, and Holmes. None of them have seen significant time but they're all talented at least. Obviously losing Bosa sucks but end is at least a position that's shown to be deeper than expected in the past when things like spence and Marcus getting dismissed happened.

Expect lots of Braxton and Samuel in the slot now though. Thomas is still the best receiver on the team, but the other outside spot is in question without Jalin there. Probably Noah Brown if I had to guess.

This isn't last year's game. Two quarterbacks with experience and the best o-line in college make this very very different.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It'll be short order before Georgia trips on their dick and starts falling down the rankings.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pakled posted:

I can understand this one. GT's offense might be taking a step back with the loss of so many skill position players and its defense, while expected to improve, wasn't that good last year to begin with. UGA may be questionable at quarterback, but they can win every game by handing it to Chubb. There's a big talent differential between the two schools, too.

It was mostly a joke about Georgia fans complaining about other teams being over-ranked.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a Georgia fan and I think Georgia should be like 20th tops so it evens out

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'd be more concerned if it was some OL suspended, but not having Bosa will suck.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

vikingstrike posted:

It'll be short order before Georgia trips on their dick and starts falling down the rankings.

I don't want to live in a world where Georgia can't come in with a top 10 ranking and high hopes only to get rocked in September.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know preseason meaningless poll and all but it makes me happy to see UT back in the top 25, even if it is just at 25.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KKKLIP ART posted:

He's going to have one of those internal defibrillators installed before the season is out.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't want to live in a world where Georgia can't come in with a top 10 ranking and high hopes only to get rocked in September.

I guess it's college football tradition at this point.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm a Georgia fan and I think Georgia should be like 20th tops so it evens out

Agreed. I was quite surprised at 9.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

They've been getting a lot of hype because of the Muschamp defense but yeah, 7 seems awfully high for a team coming off an 8-5 season.

I honestly hate it when Auburn is highly ranked to start the season. I feel like they never do as well when people expect them to be good. I would much rather be in Miss State's position than start in the top ten. I am also trying to keep from getting my hopes up for when they inevitably go 9-3.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

You know, since the program bottomed out in 2010, the pollsters have actually been pretty smart on UGA.

Preseason: 19
Highest: 12
End: 18

Preseason: 6
Highest: 3 :(
End: 6

Preseason: 5
Highest: 5
End: All the asterisks

Preseason: 12
Highest: 8
End: 13

Nailed it, if we discount what happened in 2013, and I think we should. UGA's problem happens when they win big games early to rise in the polls only to have a midseason pants-pooping. Usually against South Carolina.

Anyway this team has um, uh.... at QB and no depth at WR and not really great talent on the D-line so unless Nick Chubb goes for 200 a game—I mean, he could— we're going 9-3 again. But because it's Georgia they'll paste South Carolina, upset Bama, and then get blown out in Knoxville and lose to Kentucky. These are the ways.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 30, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MindlessHavok posted:

Yeah I know preseason meaningless poll and all but it makes me happy to see UT back in the top 25, even if it is just at 25.

Not really meaningless since it sets the baseline for the whole season.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

D.N. Nation posted:

You know, since the program bottomed out in 2010, the pollsters have actually been pretty smart on UGA.

Preseason: 19
Highest: 12
End: 18

Preseason: 6
Highest: 3 :(
End: 6

Preseason: 5
Highest: 5
End: All the asterisks

Preseason: 12
Highest: 8
End: 13

Nailed it, if we discount what happened in 2013, and I think we should. UGA's problem happens when they win big games early to rise in the polls only to have a midseason pants-pooping. Usually against South Carolina.

South Carolina is at the beginning of the schedule usually. Florida is the mid-season pants making GBS threads.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Great write-up by Rodger Sherman about the American Football World Championship. Lots of TRENT STEELMAN coverage.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/30/9050561/football-world-championship

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

South Carolina is at the beginning of the schedule usually. Florida is the mid-season pants making GBS threads.

I suppose it's more a hybrid now. Florida was the pants-making GBS threads last year but wasn't in the years before that, where South Carolina was, but it was early in the year. Carry the 7, etc.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hope Baylor doesn't wilt under expectations. That's really it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MACtion Preseason Media Poll

WEST
Toledo (11) 121 points
WMU (8) 120
NIU (4) 113
Ball State 66
CMU (1) (lol) 56
EMU 28

EAST
BG (18) 160 points
Akron (2) 118
Ohio (1) 118
UMass (3) 113
Buffalo 70
Miami 47
Kent 46

Dogg against the world, yo.

Overall, no real surprises. The power is still very much in the West. Western Michigan has really turned around well. NIU is reloading a bit but are still very dangerous. The east is... man who knows? BG's picked to win it mostly because everyone else is in various states of disrepair. Akron seems to have turned the corner a bit. Ohio will likely do what they've done the last 6-7 years and couple a great start with an amazing collapse about halfway through the season. Nobody's really sure what's going on at Buffalo since last year's inexplicable mid-season firing of Jeff Quinn. Miami has some signs of life under Chuck Martin but they're a long way off from making any real noise. I have no idea who gave Central a 1st place vote. Kent is in rough shape but their schedule isn't completely daunting so they could finish with 4-5 wins including a 30 point drubbing of Akron, which would be a marked improvement. Eastern is, well, Eastern.

Odds are your MAC Championship game is BG vs. Toledo or WMU, but this is a weird fuckin' conference and I could see a lot of other things happening.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Losing Bosa hurts but we are so stacked at WR I'm not too concerned about that position.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Why are people freaking out more over losing Bosa vs VaTech's offense than the offensive players?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Preseason polls shouldn't matter but unfortunately do in actuality just because those teams get the most undeserved hype and stay ranked longer while good teams struggle below for longer than they should.

Perfect example is A&M vs. SCAR last year. All that hype meant jack by the end.

Though last year it did cause TCU to go from like 25 to 10 after beating an OU who turned out to be pretty meh. :v:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Mexico's national uniform loving owns.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
TCU #1 yall

look at that loving title belt. LOOK AT IT.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

go3 posted:

TCU #1 yall

gently caress the belt I'd want the trophy's weight in chikfila nuggets.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I like how all over the place UCLA has been in preseasons rankings, I've seen us as high as 5, and as low as 23. 14 seems like a pretty reasonable place to start the season. We look good and get a few early wins and we're pushing into the top 10, and if we struggle and stumble early then we're down in the bottom of the top 25 where we belong.

Thoguh posted:

Not really meaningless since it sets the baseline for the whole season.

I enjoy the yearly tradition of watching the early SEC top 10 matchups get hyped to death, followed by complete denial about the fact that maybe some of the SEC teams aren't quite as good as predicted, and the explanations that the reason they keep losing to other SEC teams is that those other SEC teams also deserve to be in the top 15!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Only reason Penn State got votes was so they can ratchet up every week on an easy schedule so Ohio State gets an extra top 15 win. Basically the same as what happen with the sec

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

go3 posted:

TCU #1 yall

go Hornt Frogs b*tch

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crotch Bat posted:

Line already dropped 7-9 points in Vegas :lol:

How long after Ohio State loses to Virginia Tech and Michigan State loses to Oregon will ESPN begin spinning those two losses as evidence of the supremacy of the SEC?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Double post

For content, the reason most people are not concerned about the wideouts is because we have 4 or 5 guys that would have played last year that sat due to depth that are ready to go this year. There's an insane amount of talent at skill positions for OSU right now.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 30, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

How long after Ohio State loses to Virginia Tech and Michigan State loses to Oregon will ESPN begin spinning those two losses as evidence of the supremacy of the SEC?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Michigan State is going to beat Oregon, and Ohio State, and every other team, every game, until the sun burns out. Amen

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Man, you guys have a B1G complex over all those BCS losses.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I don't think that Arkansas belongs in the top 20 now but hope that they will by the end of the year!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Mexico's national uniform loving owns.

holy poo poo those rule

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Man, you guys have a B1G complex over all those BCS losses.

Michigan State was undefeated in BCS games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't know why anyone is giving Texas A&M votes but okay, I'll take the SEC bias.

• Locked thread