Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went to a local lake today here in Vancouver, BC. Was very surprised to see this guy crawling around in the grass about 30' from the shore.

Turtle by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Lots of these guys were around, I guess because of the heat we've been having.
Stained Glass by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Leafsittin by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Squirrel branch by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

NSFW that poo poo for nipple!

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

HookShot posted:

I am against squirrel breast censorship. They are natural and beautiful and I'm sorry you can't appreciate them.

California ground squirrel at Patrick's Point State Park

ground-squirrel-flower by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A raccoon has been coming to Arcata Marsh to forage for shrimp and crabs in the saltwater ponds and sloughs.

raccoon-shrimping2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A very scruffy brush rabbit in Patrick's Point State Park

brush-rabbit-fern by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

HookShot posted:

No. :colbert:
In fact, I think I will do a series focusing on wildlife nipples instead.

Moon Potato posted:

California ground squirrel at Patrick's Point State Park

ground-squirrel-flower by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I'm really liking this one

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Would like some suggestions on my first picture. Why do all my bird shots look so crappy and grainy like this? It was taken with a Sony A55 and Tamron 70-300 lens. Shot at f/18, ISO 200, 1/25", 300mm, -0.3EV.
ColombiaFlickr (11 of 16) by
https://www.flickr.com/photos/esa_foto/, on Flickr

ColombiaFlickr (7 of 16) by https://www.flickr.com/photos/esa_foto/, on Flickr

ColombiaFlickr (6 of 16) by https://www.flickr.com/photos/esa_foto/, on Flickr

huhu fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 19, 2015

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

huhu posted:

Would like some suggestions on my first picture. Why do all my bird shots look so crappy and grainy like this? It was taken with a Sony A55 and Tamron 70-300 lens. Shot at f/18, ISO 200, 1/25", 300mm, -0.3EV.
Travis Bumgarner, on Flickr

The big problem is the 1/25- Assuming you were hand-holding this is really challenging for 300mm, even with IS. The rough rule of thumb is get your shutter speed > 1/focal length, so aim for at least 1/250. You can do this by upping the ISO a bit- even cameras that are a few years old should be able to push the ISO to 1/800 or so without looking total rear end. Also, you should widen your aperture at least a couple of stops- unless you are shooting a landscape where you want absolutely everything to be in focus, you'll want to go as wide as your lens can handle before looking crummy. Not sure about your Tamron (is this a newer one or an older one?), but maybe F9 or so will help provide some isolation of your subject while maybe blurring the background a bit, and give you a few more stops yo can throw into shutter speed.

e: one more thing- unless you particularly care about the detail of of the background, you might overexpose rather than underexpose to get the exposure a little closer to what you want. This is more creative choice- do you want more of a silhouette or a "properly" exposed subject with a much brighter background? This photo has a lot of dynamic range making it pretty hard to pull off a photo without something either too dark or too light.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 2, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

huhu posted:

Travis Bumgarner, on Flickr

Several things. First, your shutter speed is WAY too slow for 300mm there. Probably set it to be at least 1/500 and preferably faster. You also don't need to be shooting at f/18! I'm not sure what exact lens you're using but probably f/8 or f/9 will be better and your bokeh will be far less harsh.

Note also that since your background is much brighter than your subject you need to set your metering to center point metering to meter off your subject. It'll blow the background way out but you can compensate for this in post if you're shooting in RAW.

e;f;b

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

"gtfo my rock"

Collared lizard in Colorado National Monument.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That is a very fancy lizard.

We have otters at Arcata Marsh again. This time, there's a young pup that's learning how to fish and struggling to keep up with its mother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlgsLMETv3I

I caught them crossing a trail at dusk the other day. It was too dark for a decent picture with an f/5.6 lens, but it's the only view I've had of the little one with anything for size reference. It's barely as tall as the cut grass next to the trail :3:

otter-pup-trail by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

There's another adult that's been hunting on its own. It could be the father, but river otters are polygynous and males have extremely large home ranges when they're spending the summers in marine/estuary environments, so it'll be hard to tell unless I see it interacting with the others.

otter-snout1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-mouth by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
On Sunday evening I ended up at Thunder Lake provincial park, Alberta - well named, I saw lightning over the far shore - and I set up on some Red-necked Grebes with my 500mm. I was fiddling with the lens, some of the set-screws holding the aperture ring on were a little loose - when I heard a splash. No big deal, I thought, there are plenty of fish here.

Then I saw the antlers and I think I said something like "holy gently caress a moose!". He swam out of the water - I wasn't looking that direction, he might have swum across the lake, or just around the corner - and stood in water up to his belly for about 3 minutes, just watching me. Eventually he decided I wasn't as threatening as he was hungry, and he moved closer to shore and ate a few water plants. I have all of this on a single 8-minute-long video that I don't have the ability to edit effectively at the moment.

My desktop computer with video-editing software on it is sitting in my friend's basement 4000km away, so this is just the last little scrap of video I shot of this guy, unedited except for a trial for my own personal edification of youtube's stabilization algorithm. I'm most impressed by the fact my K-5's built-in internal microphone was able to pick up his splashing through the shallows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFVaE9afUCg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moose are awesome, until they flip their poo poo and stomp you for no good reason.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

Moose are awesome, until they flip their poo poo and stomp you for no good reason.
you would not believe which thread is having this same conversation

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Found this little guy near my garage, took with a 35mm prime, got real close, they aren't that fearful of people:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I was losing the light so didn't get exactly the frozen motion that I wanted, but I ended up layering this into something I like.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
A collection of three young white tailed deer walked right up to me before they realized I was there over the weekend. They don't look newborn but if I had to guess I'd say they were a couple of months old.

Bambi by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Bambi by Justin Cook, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, they're born April-July so the oldest they could be is about three months.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Has anyone been to the Johannesburg Lion and Rhino park? I've got a free trip there through work, and was wondering if a Tamron 150-600 would be overkill?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I know less than nothing about South African parks, but as long as you're not inside the minimum focus distance, there's no such thing as "too close" for wildlife photos. Detail shots of an eye, or a leg, or horns or teeth or whatever are certainly worth taking.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Ah yes..that's true!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

The best thing about summer in the PNW is the large number of adorable tiny snakes.

:cheeky:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Snakes like to be pat too. This is especially true with Australian snakes.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Alpenglow posted:

The best thing about summer in the PNW is the large number of adorable tiny snakes.

:cheeky:
I lived on Orcas Island in the San Juans for two years as child (7-9 years old) and remember being quite good at catching snakes. At the time we just called all of them "garter snakes".

Love the picture. :)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Kenshin posted:

I lived on Orcas Island in the San Juans for two years as child (7-9 years old) and remember being quite good at catching snakes. At the time we just called all of them "garter snakes".

Love the picture. :)

I visited Orcas Island recently, it would be an amazing to be a kid living there, just go and disappear for the summer.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Sibling 1

Sibling 2

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

toggle posted:

Has anyone been to the Johannesburg Lion and Rhino park? I've got a free trip there through work, and was wondering if a Tamron 150-600 would be overkill?

That actually might be a bit much. You get very close to the lions, I never needed more zoom on my 70-200 with an extension. If you have a second body with a wider lens then your Tamron would rock, but I think with that much zoom you might miss wider shots of things playing.

For reference, a couple shots from my trip to that lion park:

The last shot, if I had something wider I would have caught other cubs playing too.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Leviathor posted:

Sibling 1

Sibling 2

You should post those in the bird photography thread because those are goddamn beautiful. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171184

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Puffin' Up by Jenseales, on Flickr

Lonesome Self by Jenseales, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Black And White Colobus by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

White-Tailed Sea Eagle by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Ring-Tailed Lemur by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Black And White Ruffed Lemur by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

East African Crowned Crane by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

And just because...

Cotton-Top Tamarin by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

You could seriously sell a book of your animal portraits. I would buy one for sure. Also, you make me loving sick that I don't take pictures like you.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Graniteman posted:

You could seriously sell a book of your animal portraits. I would buy one for sure. Also, you make me loving sick that I don't take pictures like you.
Echoing this sentiment. Love your work Mr. Hornaday.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I love everything about this shot.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
All of those pictures are amazing (honestly if you aren't the official photographer for your local zoo already I can't imagine why) but this is super adorable and reminds me of the videos on youtube where people feed tiny burritos to hamsters.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'll echo that those an a top-draw set of photos. Unless I'm talking crap (not unknown), that's excellent flash work. Too often flash and wildlife replicates the Deer in the Headlights look.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah everytime Hornaday posts, I alternate between hanging my camera up, and being inspired. So I guess it's working.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Kenshin posted:

All of those pictures are amazing (honestly if you aren't the official photographer for your local zoo already I can't imagine why) but this is super adorable and reminds me of the videos on youtube where people feed tiny burritos to hamsters.

Too busy being the one taking care of the animals, mostly. Plus my zoo has throngs of volunteer photographers that it seems content with.

And the grill was part of our 4th of July enrichment celebration. Also had a little Liberty Bell for the ring-tailed lemurs, among other things.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

That actually might be a bit much. You get very close to the lions, I never needed more zoom on my 70-200 with an extension. If you have a second body with a wider lens then your Tamron would rock, but I think with that much zoom you might miss wider shots of things playing.

OK cool, that's what I was thinking...

Cheers!

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Spotted by Jenseales, on Flickr

African Wild Dog by Jenseales, on Flickr

Cougar by Jenseales, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've been going through my old safari shots and processing anything that catches my eye.

All 3 are great, but this one is spectacular!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here's a bunch more from Kenya. I know any sort of photo border is usually ridiculed in this forum, but it's just something I'm trying out. I'm interested in opinions for or against it.