Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brannock posted:

If this isn't grounds to get him the gently caress out of government then what the gently caress is?

I just don't think "$1,001 and $15,000 in RRPIX" is going to sound like a big deal to most voters.

edit: also that fund hasn't been doing that well:

quote:

YTD (as of 7/29/2015) 1.02%
Average Annual One Year -12.54%
Average Annual Three Year -4.77%
Average Annual Five Year -12.36%
Average Annual Ten Year -9.12%
Average Annual Since Inception -10.38%

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I just don't think "$1,001 and $15,000 in RRPIX" is going to sound like a big deal to most voters.

Plus it's finances which means that the average person will instantly tune out and ignore it because they can't understand it.

"First, let's explain the concept of short selling...oh where did everyone go"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I just finished three books on the financial sector and I still don't understand it. :psyboom:

I did learn Wall Street has really good lawyers though. And it is full of incredibly lovely people. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Klaus88 posted:

I just finished three books on the financial sector and I still don't understand it. :psyboom:

You make a bet that the stock goes down and if it does you make money.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Now that I think of it, he should enter the primary.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
It's the ultimate insider trading. Instead of going for small potatoes like companies that make things, Rand Paul decided to bet on the failure of the country itself and work his damnedest to cash that very small check off of it. It's impressively dastardly. He's certainly not phoning it in.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 30, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Klaus88 posted:

gently caress the wall, I want him dancing a jig in mid-air from a noose

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Trabisnikof posted:

No, but "Rand Paul intentionally pushed the country to the brink of default to make money off it. And it wasn't even that much money!" is going to sound pretty bad.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Plus it's finances which means that the average person will instantly tune out and ignore it because they can't understand it.

"First, let's explain the concept of short selling...oh where did everyone go"

Here's the thing, all you have to do is say that "Rand Paul bet against the country", or "Rand Paul puts his money on the country failing" and you'll be right.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That seems really, really bad but I don't anyone will care. Also Rand is an idiot since after he ruins the country caps will be the new currency and his dollars will be worthless.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brannock posted:

No, but "Rand Paul intentionally pushed the country to the brink of default to make money off it. And it wasn't even that much money!" is going to sound pretty bad.

Who actually thinks Paul did it for the money and he doesn't actually believe this crazy poo poo?

I mean, this is actually not a big deal. If this was a Democratic candidate that had invested in US treasury bonds no one (but talk show hosts) would say they tried to save the economy just for the sweet sweet treasury bond profit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Here's the thing, all you have to do is say that "Rand Paul bet against the country", or "Rand Paul puts his money on the country failing" and you'll be right.

If you had to short or long against Rand Paul getting in serious poo poo over this story, what position would you take?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

If you had to short or long against Rand Paul getting in serious poo poo over this story, what position would you take?

This is the media and financial fuckery we're talking about.

The only winning move is not to play. :(

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Blind trusts are the biggest bunch of bullshit. "I don't know what's in it because it's being managed for me. What's that? What prevents me from talking to the person managing it? Why my fine moral character!'

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It's as likely as Rand Paul winning the nomination.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

"PANTS ON FIRE - :smug: Because technically the fund seeks daily investment results, before fees and expenses, that are -1.25x the daily price movement of the most recently issued 30-Year U.S. Treasury Bond ("Long Bond") for a single day. So clearly you're wrong when you said he bet against America :eng101:"
- Politifact in the future

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mulva posted:

Blind trusts are the biggest bunch of bullshit. "I don't know what's in it because it's being managed for me. What's that? What prevents me from talking to the person managing it? Why my fine moral character!'

Also it just so happens this person is also part of my family so good luck proving we talked about how to manage my blind trust when we went ice fishing last January.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Luigi Thirty posted:

We're all going to work until we die in a corporate dystopia so you might as well accept it.

We live in the cyberpunk future. Problem is, we're the people who runs get made on.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

zoux posted:

What's the over/under.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

electric funeral posted:

What's the over/under.

Seven.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

John Goodman's looking rough.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

zoux posted:

Seven.

King me.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

colonel_korn posted:

Nah he actually went there too

It's pretty much exactly what Huckabee said except with more :words:

The projection here from Graham is so obvious it's almost insulting.

"If we give Iran the means to attack the west that is exactly what they will do! Which is also exactly what I would do to Iran if I had the means to attack them as president, but that's totally different because they are crazy and hellbent on our destruction!"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In which a bunch of people with an axe to grind don't know how hard drives work.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

How can supposed "experts" have never head of a head crash? Goddamn there are some stupid people.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mulva posted:

How can supposed "experts" have never head of a head crash? Goddamn there are some stupid people.

Partisanship is a hell of a drug. They most certainly have heard of a crashed hard drive, but this one is different. This one is suspicious for some reason! Isn't it convenient!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ErIog posted:

Partisanship is a hell of a drug. They most certainly have heard of a crashed hard drive, but this one is different. This one is suspicious for some reason! Isn't it convenient!

So it isn't the result of a bad data retention policy forced onto the agency by a shoestring IT budget, but a nefarious conspiracy to force political groups to file as political groups and not social charities to make them list their donors?

My god. This could go all the way to the president. Send up the Gowdysignal!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

OAquinas posted:

So it isn't the result of a bad data retention policy forced onto the agency by a shoestring IT budget, but a nefarious conspiracy to force political groups to file as political groups and not social charities to make them list their donors?

My god. This could go all the way to the president. Send up the Gowdysignal!

There's also a rumor going around the Gowdy was responsible for leaking that Hillary stuff to the Daily Beast and the NYT. Most people don't know or care who Gowdy is, but it's pretty hosed up to backchannel privileged information from a congressional investigation to attack a currently running presidential candidate.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 30, 2015

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Conservatives gonna con.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hey Mulva since you post a lot, lemme ask: What excites you about Hillary Clinton?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blue squares posted:

Hey Mulva since you post a lot, lemme ask: What excites you about Hillary Clinton?

How about you ask in a thread that isn't this one or I dunno in a PM although I'm sure you don't actually care and just want to rev up the ol slapfight.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

whitey delenda est posted:

although I'm sure you don't actually care and just want to rev up the ol slapfight.

wrong. I haven't heard any Pro-Hillary arguments yet. I'm not trying to fight at all.
However if this is a dumb thread to ask that in, my bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

wrong. I haven't heard any Pro-Hillary arguments yet. I'm not trying to fight at all.

Here's a good pro-Hillary argument: The Entire GOP Field.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
story about LA cops killing a homeless man back in March just got a whole lot worse

loving hell. Straddle his chest, in full control of the situation, press the gun right over his heart in direct contact, and pull the trigger.

So we have body can and forensic evidence of this now. Christ

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

blue squares posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731513

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

blue squares posted:

Pro-Hillary: who else would you have in the general election?

Also SCOTUS SCOTUS SCOTUS!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People have made pro Hillary arguments, in this very thread, which by the way is not the primary thread or Hillary slapfight thread.

It's unbelievable hyperbole that you haven't heard anyone make a pro Hillary argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Fried Chicken posted:

story about LA cops killing a homeless man back in March just got a whole lot worse

loving hell. Straddle his chest, in full control of the situation, press the gun right over his heart in direct contact, and pull the trigger.

So we have body can and forensic evidence of this now. Christ

:dogbutton:

Holy Christ on a bicycle built for two.

I'm hopeful this gets the ball rolling on systemic police reform since we so desperately need it in the United States.

• Locked thread