Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think its gonna end with it all going even further sideways until using that photo from the start of Episode One to unfuck the entire week with a speedy STOP HIM HE'S A SERIAL KILLER!" in class.

I want to do a Bill & Ted style quick zip through time while I set up an unlikely series of events that leads to his downfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Turra posted:

End of episode 4 spoilers:

As far as I can tell this applies to pretty much every episode. Girl gets shot in a lot of the possible branches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I want to do a Bill & Ted style quick zip through time while I set up an unlikely series of events that leads to his downfall.

I would dearly love to do this just once in a game involving time travel :allears:.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think its gonna end with it all going even further sideways until using that photo from the start of Episode One to unfuck the entire week with a speedy STOP HIM HE'S A SERIAL KILLER!" in class.

She's gotta find a way to bring an item back in time, That Item being a picture of Jefferson's dead body, which she turns in for the Everyday Hero's contest.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

dmboogie posted:

All you have to do is gently caress up your interrogation of him. If Chloe's got a gun, he dies.

Not quite, she can shoot him non-lethally, too. I think the dog may need to be healthy and attack in order for Frank to end up dead? I couldn't seem to find a way to get him to die with Pompidou injured.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Parkingtigers posted:

I just wanted to jump in to confess that this game has made me cry more than every other videogame in the history of videogames, combined. An hour into this episode, after the you know what decision, with Amanda Palmer playing on the soundtrack? I was blubbering like a giant retarded baby, tears, snot, the whole nine yards. This loving game man.

Whats up, fellow bitch? :(:hf::(

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ep 2 and 4 spoilers.
Someone needs to redo for the Nathan beating. I let it play out, felt guilty, rewound, stopped Warren, saw Nathan's reaction when he gets off lightly, rewound, and let Warren beat the poo poo out of him again. I would have joined in that time if I could.

I fully expect to take my lumps in episode 5 when armed and healthy Nathan can't save the day.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The only game(s) that have elicited the same emotion from me as Episode 4 did were the final sequence and credits from the first season of the Walking Dead, and the flashback sequence in the last season of the Walking Dead.

These games that hinge entirely upon your decision making and morals can really gently caress a guy up emotionally.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Varam posted:

Not quite, she can shoot him non-lethally, too. I think the dog may need to be healthy and attack in order for Frank to end up dead? I couldn't seem to find a way to get him to die with Pompidou injured.

If the door is closed or you injured Pompidou, he only gets injured I believe

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Malpais Legate posted:

The only game(s) that have elicited the same emotion from me as Episode 4 did were the final sequence and credits from the first season of the Walking Dead, and the flashback sequence in the last season of the Walking Dead.

These games that hinge entirely upon your decision making and morals can really gently caress a guy up emotionally.

I've pretty much just enjoyed this a pure character piece/thriller, the only thing that's got me emotionally hard in the entire series was Nathan on the floor crying and begging for mercy in episode 4. I'm not sure exactly what it was, probably partly that the acting was hugely believable, and partly because I'd really been wanting him to get it, and when it finally happened it wasn't satisfying in any sense, it just enforced how broken he is mentally.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

She's gotta find a way to bring an item back in time, That Item being a picture of Jefferson's dead body, which she turns in for the Everyday Hero's contest.

Something like this would be amazing. Time powers are made for trolling.

We need a time-shenanigan based game where the main character is just the :smuggo: fucker around with their power, so cathartic.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 30, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That seems like such a perfect way to cap the game that I'm almost certain something along those lines is going to happen. I have no idea how that's going to connect to the storm, however.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

exquisite tea posted:

That seems like such a perfect way to cap the game that I'm almost certain something along those lines is going to happen. I have no idea how that's going to connect to the storm, however.

Yeah, I have no doubts that it's going to end with Max taking a picture of Jefferson in a compromising position, going back in time to the party with Warren's selfie and somehow getting her picture shown at the big reveal of the photo contest winner, if only because that all sounds pretty goddamn perfect to me, but then there's also all the supernatural stuff and a possible second time traveler to wrap up, and that obviously hasn't even hinted at a resolution. I really hope it's not the Starchild from Mass Effect, though.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Pimpmust posted:

Something like this would be amazing. Time powers are made for trolling.

We need a time-shenanigan based game where the main character is just the :smuggo: fucker around with their power, so cathartic.

So you're saying the main character should be Chloe.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

So you're saying the main character should be Chloe.

But why would anyone want to play a choice based game using a Protagonist that always makes the wrong choices?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Max, if you rewind to the red photo, the storm will destroy the city. If you go to the blue photo, you will control the storm. If you go to the green photo then everyone will become a living storm.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Max fulfilling her destiny as Time Lord and flying off into deep space would actually be the perfect hook for a sequel.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Max fulfilling her destiny as Time Lord and flying off into deep space would actually be the perfect hook for a sequel.

"Chloe, I have to go now. My people need me."

*Chloe died while Max was on the way to her home planet*

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

As Max approaches the beam, she is shot by a random NPC guard and collapses.

You've been indoctrinated Max, you should have blown up the school, that temple of "the Man", while you had the chance.

But we can put things right! Here, have some C4 and a skateboard. You know what to do.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think they will never bother to explain where the time travel powers came from.

Or the deer (Rachel) appearing in the dream.

Or why Max had the dreams/premonitions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I know people are worried about Dontnod sticking the landing in Episode 5, but to be honest there's no scenario too ridiculous for me to accept at this point. I'm completely down for the ride.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

I know people are worried about Dontnod sticking the landing in Episode 5, but to be honest there's no scenario too ridiculous for me to accept at this point. I'm completely down for the ride.

I think people aren't so much worried about the ending being good, but more that people are worried the end is going to come and our choices aren't going to make a significant difference in the story. The only real decision so far that's given us a big change is visiting Kate in the hospital. I have faith in Dontnod because so far all 4 episodes have been awesome, and I feel like our choices have specifically been building up for the endgame. But I think people are also justifiably worried of a Telltale scenario where our choices ultimately don't matter.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Codependent Poster posted:

Max, if you rewind to the red photo, the storm will destroy the city. If you go to the blue photo, you will control the storm. If you go to the green photo then everyone will become a living storm.

And Max replies to Morpheus, "Wowzer, are you cereal?"

In the end Max chooses option D, the bacon omelette.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I think people aren't so much worried about the ending being good, but more that people are worried the end is going to come and our choices aren't going to make a significant difference in the story. The only real decision so far that's given us a big change is visiting Kate in the hospital. I have faith in Dontnod because so far all 4 episodes have been awesome, and I feel like our choices have specifically been building up for the endgame. But I think people are also justifiably worried of a Telltale scenario where our choices ultimately don't matter.

I don't even care about choices, Wolf Among Us totally loving botched the ending for me in the last episode after a stellar first 4 episodes, and that had nothing to do with the choices and everything to do with the writing just botching it up after 4 episodes of good storytelling. Wrapping up a story in a neat little bow is hard to do, and it's worse with episodic games when you're waiting months between episodes, and nothing's worse than getting to the end of a series you enjoy just to find out it ends with the literary equivalent of the writer making raspberry noises with his mouth.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
They will have more freedom to branch in Episode 5 if they do want to at least - obviously the closer to the end of the game you get, the easier it becomes to allow for real lasting choices.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Macaluso posted:

Guess what, in real life for the most part most of the normal decisions and choices you make don't matter. Outside of completely life changing stuff(New job, marriage, etc etc).

This is something I dislike in these people's thinking about these games. In real life choices have effects but so few of the many choices you make in life completely change the trajectory of your life to a noticeable degree. Someone might hate you more, or you might get some extra irrelevant info. But rarely is a mundane choice you make the catalyst for some sweeping change down the line.

Writing may be garbage, in which case that's on the writing but the lack of these "choices" mattering doesn't really matter much to me so long as they make it make logical sense with the choices I picked.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's not real life though it's a video game. A video game where the primary gameplay is making a choice for a thing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's not real life though it's a video game. A video game where the primary gameplay is making a choice for a thing

And those choices do matter in the moment to moment of story telling, but given enough distance from said choice I don't need them to matter. Other than to stay consistent(I.E if I piss off David, then David should stay pissed at me unless I can reconcile it).

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dexo posted:

Guess what, in real life for the most part most of the normal decisions and choices you make don't matter. Outside of completely life changing stuff(New job, marriage, etc etc).

This is something I dislike in these people's thinking about these games. In real life choices have effects but so few of the many choices you make in life completely change the trajectory of your life to a noticeable degree. Someone might hate you more, or you might get some extra irrelevant info. But rarely is a mundane choice you make the catalyst for some sweeping change down the line.

I'll also agree with all this, people who complain about Telltale stuff not factoring in your choices as much are, in my opinion, missing the point. I've always viewed these games as basically a tabletop game where I'm a player and the developers are the DM, and while I can make choices with my character, ultimately they're the ones who are telling the story and it's up to them to end it in the way they deem fit. If the bird getting killed by the window doesn't matter, that's fine. Hell, it doesn't even matter one bit to the story in the long run if (episode 4 spoilers)you decide to euthanize your best friend or not, because that entire universe ceases to exist for Max. Your choices are not what drives the game, your choices are what allows the game to feel more personal, but ultimately some things HAVE to be left out of your control entirely, and if they're major things that you're frustrated you couldn't change, well, guess what, that's storytelling.

Surely Macbeth should have just made a better insight check to see if his wife was just needling him into making a bad decision or not. Movies, plays, literature, they're pretty much always about people either making a bad choice and having to live with it, or thinking they had a choice when they really didn't all along. Even the girl with time travel powers has to accept that she can't fix and control everything.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

I've always viewed these games as basically a tabletop game where I'm a player and the developers are the DM, and while I can make choices with my character, ultimately they're the ones who are telling the story and it's up to them to end it in the way they deem fit.

I've never seen it put that way before, but it sums up my feelings perfectly.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Right. The choices that matter reflect the player's personality and, in turn, shape the character you play, not the story. What you were willing to sacrifice, the compromises you made, how different you are from the beginning of the game when faced with all the unexpected, awful or simply uncontrollable events that occurred, all this can change. I'd rather have that than just having the option to 1) shove your Polaroid down Jefferson's throat or 2) join him as his new apprentice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't expect Episode 5 to have wildly different endstates, and I wouldn't want it to, either. "Choices mattering" is such a subjective term because by my own metric I feel like my prior choices have already mattered a great deal in Life is Strange, in the sense of how characters, dialogue and scenarios play out slightly differently for everybody. While all playthroughs will hit the same major plot points, nothing has felt particularly forced or cheap to me so far, like how in TWD you can choose to save someone in the first episode who is always conveniently killed off in the second. I realize that everybody is going to have their own definition of "choice" but to me the enjoyment comes from the game's acknowledgement of your decision, not that you necessarily diverted the plot in a huge way.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Someone else made this point earlier in the thread and I agree. "It doesn't matter if choices I make in this game significantly change things. I just want an engaging story." And Life is Strange absolutely nailed it. It has a believable, lived in world with a captivating story.

Its weird how a linear corridor story game's world feels more lived in and responsive than that of an open world game like "Skyrim," but oh well.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 30, 2015

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdCrHyut6s

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

There are ways to write a CYOA game that does tie player choices together with the end more or less well though.
Even if it's mostly down to things like who of [A, B and C] that you influenced earlier during events [D1, G2 and K4] helps you out at moment X1 during the ending sequence(s) resulting in a choice between Ending D "Saved by a won-over Friend (doesn't *really* matter which)" vs Ending E1 & E2 "Pissed everyone off/got everyone killed" or ending B "Learned Fisticuff skills carries the day". Sure, if you boil it down it might just be Eco-Implosion stopped Y/N? If yes -> Murder Plot Foiled Y/N -> Check if character A, B or C are alive or not and run the [slightly modified] ending scene, with various degrees of happy ending all the way to poo poo be hosed up yo by your various minor choices throughout the game (ending scroll of resolutions if the budget doesn't allow for more).
The gist of the main story doesn't change, but it's a step up from say "Slightly Interactive Cutscene where you walk up to a button and press it to end the game", "Do you kill the main baddy or not? You still die either way and nothing of your previous choices have any effect on the resolution or are even brought up during the last chapter" or "Red, Blue or Green?"-style endings.

That's without really getting into how well written the story itself is or if it gives a satisfying conclusion (although obviously, it's necessary for it to be on a higher level to take more options into account and *work*).

e: lots of words to say that there's a pretty big slide of ending complexity from anywhere between "canned ending" to "Alpha Protocol" and I hope we gets something reasonably complex even if it's not enough to replay the whole game for.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 30, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Watch as the game freaks the gently caress out and this guy gets a secret ending with Frank.

Spoilers for Episode 4's Frank scene.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

For some reason that scene is buggy as hell, not the first time I've seen the "Invisible Chloe" thing, but the rest was pretty amazing :v:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Isn't it confirmed by that leak that there are several different endings?

I uh, didn't look at it though.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Yeah. I got this from rewinding like 30 times trying to figure out the scene. I had to go to my last save and do the whole thing again as unskippable dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

I lost it at the bit where Frank talks about Pompidou not barking and the camera immediately focuses on the big bloody spot and then switches immediately back to Max. :stare:

• Locked thread