Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Did you happen to spot the '02 Impreza? Row52 doesn't seem to be working for me today. Curious if it's a silver wagon with workable fenders.

The only notable Subaroos were the maroon foresters, and that's only because there were like 20 of em, as if a big lesbian delivery company went out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

I'm heading into calgary to hit up the pick-n-pulls. Somebody mentioned something about a store in calgary with factory second batteries. anybody know what it's called?

Also the Interstate warehouse off Peigan/Barlow (across the street from the entrance to the Big Bucket/Dennys/McDs) sells reman/blemished batteries for 50bux (reman Optimas for a bit more), that's where I get mine.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

One day I'll have a garage so I can work on my car(s), and indulge in the ancient ritual of the pick-n-pull. :smith:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

The only notable Subaroos were the maroon foresters, and that's only because there were like 20 of em, as if a big lesbian delivery company went out of business.

Whaaaaaat which gen? I can never find foresters up here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And here is the basis for the new interior.

Also got a nice chrome rear bumper and a steering wheel with cruise control buttons. I'll probably make a project thread once i get into it. Walking around fabricland half baked from the sun, i got a flood of ideas. This could get fuckin classy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Whaaaaaat which gen? I can never find foresters up here.

Man we have nothing but SF Foresters in our Pick N Pull. They're so common all of my foglight switches and blanks are out of Foresters now.

I feel like if I bought a green SF Forester I could probably keep it in body panels until the apocalypse.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Lee Valley is loving evil.

I ordered a flocking kit from them a few weeks ago, and it arrived and I was happy. I haven't used it yet, but that's the usual course of business with mods on this Subaru because it can never get the broken-rear end Miata out of the way until the October snow starts to fall.

Anyway, I check the mail today. Something from Lee Valley.

A $10 gift card.

YOU BASTARDS.

Why don't you just mug me?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Powershift posted:

And here is the basis for the new interior.

Also got a nice chrome rear bumper and a steering wheel with cruise control buttons. I'll probably make a project thread once i get into it. Walking around fabricland half baked from the sun, i got a flood of ideas. This could get fuckin classy.

Nice score, I've got a couple friends with RSXs, those seats and R32 GT-R seats are just perfect for me

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I can't wait to take a ride in the new and improved Drinkin' Lincoln.

e: Oh, this is for the Powderstroke. Well, uh, that's awesome too. Is zebra print headliner fabric still cheap?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 31, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The lincoln is staying as classy as it is.

I'm talking about the efftwofiddy. I got some pinstripe fabric for new headliner material. gonna try to get some dense underlay material and wrap the pillars in it too.

I haven't decided what i'm doing with the doors and dash. I might learn to sew and put some actual effort into it(i won't)

I'm really tempted to use something really loving loud as an accent color.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
That's awesome. Mind if I ask what the seats ran you?

Man we have nothing but SF Foresters in our Pick N Pull. They're so common all of my foglight switches and blanks are out of Foresters now.

I feel like if I bought a green SF Forester I could probably keep it in body panels until the apocalypse.

Hmmm mine is an SG but I wonder if some parts would still work. I need a new center console latch and a rear hatch handle mechanism. And maybe some sunroof parts.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 31, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's awesome. Mind if I ask what the seats ran you?

$130 for the pair after tax. It would have been 80something but they had airbags in them. I didn't feel like gutting them on the spot, i figure i can sell the airbags on.

They might be heated, too, i didn't look too close but there are 3 plugs on the bottom.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

$130 for the pair after tax. It would have been 80something but they had airbags in them. I didn't feel like gutting them on the spot, i figure i can sell the airbags on.

:stare: that's amazing. I've batted around a few project car ideas and I've always wondered what a really nice pair of seats would cost.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

:stare: that's amazing. I've batted around a few project car ideas and I've always wondered what a really nice pair of seats would cost.

This is the first time i've ever seen a nice pair of seats in the pick-n-pull. they usually either disappear pretty quick to resellers, or are ragged the gently caress out. This was just right place right time.

There's an Audi A6 with some nice seats in the barlow yard, but the outside seat rail is welded to the body of the car because audi is dumb.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You did really well for $130. Leather seems to be in good shape?

In other news, the Lethbridge Corn Maze has opened for another season so we're heading here tomorrow:
http://www.lethbridgecornmaze.com/index.html

and we're going to try and get a couple of friends together do to this, Escape from LA

That last one in particular could be either exceptionally cool or really lovely. Everything I've heard though has been that it's a ton of fun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The leather is nearly perfect on the passenger seat, 1 small cigarette burn which is easy to fill. there color is rubbed a little on the outside of the drivers seat, but the material is still thick and intact, so a little bit of leather cleaner and vinyl paint and they'll look brand new.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

To any and all Albertans who A) live near Castrol and B) aren't busy between now and noon tomorrow: Why the gently caress aren't you out watching the chump car race. The weather is perfect and the wheel to wheel racing is exciting. $20 at the gate!

E: It's 0630 and our clutch disk decided to poo poo the bed. Looks like we're using 3rd gear from now on.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 2, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wow, you can sure see the effects of the oil crash on beater full-size trucks. Been toying with the idea of replacing the Sportage with something that gets more than 200km per breakdown, but pre-facelift GMT800s you could get for $800 a couple years ago are north of $2k now.
And all of the not-completely-hosed ones that fit my prospective budget are in those little towns and villages surrounding Edmonton, like literally every single one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I was originally trying to get a GMT400 for a vehicle to haul my kart and the prices were insane. $2k to get a beat up rusted piece of crap where the odometer had obviously been rolled back and it felt like the driveshaft was minutes away from dropping out. Anything I looked at that claimed under 200k on it I was fairly certain had the odo tampered with based on the overall condition.

I mean old GM trucks are insanely reliable if you do just a little bit of maintenance, but its pretty hard to justify pricing like that when you've got to fix a bunch of crap to get it drivable.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yep. And two years ago there was actually a chance of finding one with a short cab, V8, 4x4, manual (I just about bought an 01 2500 6.0 like that, got the Kia instead. godfuckingdammit :suicide:)
Now it's 99% ext cab short box auto, slipping tranny, front end bushings on the side of the road somewhere between Entwistle and Lobstick, t-boned and rusted to hell, 460000 km, wired for subs $2900 NO LOWBALLERS

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 4, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why don't you guys just buy a $750 powerstroke like i did? :smug:

I've got the interior blown apart......for reasons. Driving a powerstroke around without any sound deadening, its.....awesome.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I went for front mid engine van glory in an 86 GMC Safari with just 168k on it for $800. Only thing wrong with it is the cruise control.

I love the glorious 4.3L engine. It's just as terrible as the Vulcan in design philosophy except it's really reliable.

At some point I'm going to start making some minor camping modifications to it. Gotta find some gasoline resistant matting to carpet the kart platform so it can double for sleeping duty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Isn't the 4.3 basically a 350 minus 2 cylinders?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Isn't the 4.3 basically a 350 minus 2 cylinders?

Yeah. Emissions-wise, a 4.3 is dirtier with a cat than a 350 with no cat. It's a nasty hackjob that also produces stupid amounts of torque considering.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its pretty admirable that they cut as many corners as they did and it wasn't complete garbage. Hell it didn't even have a balance shaft until 92.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aren't those 4.3's the standard inboard boat motor for normal sportboats ? The vortec version.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

jonathan posted:

Aren't those 4.3's the standard inboard boat motor for normal sportboats ? The vortec version.

I've never seen a 4.3 in a boat, but I've seen zillions of 3800 fireball v6s. Maybe that's what you were thinking about?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Its pretty admirable that they cut as many corners as they did and it wasn't complete garbage. Hell it didn't even have a balance shaft until 92.

As much as GM is incompetent at, building gasoline engines is something they are very, very good at.

GM subsidiaries excluded, Pontiac couldn't build a sturdy motor if it bit them on the dicks.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

TWSS posted:

I've never seen a 4.3 in a boat, but I've seen zillions of 3800 fireball v6s. Maybe that's what you were thinking about?

Nope, the 4.3 is also big in lower-end speedboats- every inboard you see around here is a MerCruiser stern drive behind a 4.3 or 350 (some 305s, but generally as an anchor)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

Now it's 99% ext cab short box auto, slipping tranny, front end bushings on the side of the road somewhere between Entwistle and Lobstick, t-boned and rusted to hell, 460000 km, wired for subs $2900 NO LOWBALLERS

If you need a hand with one of these prizes, I'm currently less than 20 minutes from Entwhistle to the east; a quick evening cruise up and down that section should help you sort out the missing / spare parts for such fine chariots. :v:

EDIT: A quick look at kijiji tells me you aren't kidding. What a pile of overpriced garbage! :suicide:

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 5, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jonathan posted:

I've seen some marine parts stuff pop up while looking for cheap chips so the fuel map isn't garbage, I'd imagine its a somewhat popular option.

As much as GM is incompetent at, building gasoline engines is something they are very, very good at.

GM subsidiaries excluded, Pontiac couldn't build a sturdy motor if it bit them on the dicks.

I'd say they're extremely good at refining their engines and designs. Chevy has had a few duds out of the gate like the aluminum block Vega engine. It speaks volumes about how far GM had developed the small block that you could cut out two cylinders without any real major design changes and run it with no real issues.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp, had to go rescue my mom who got flooded in at work. So of course I took the Kia. It brought me great joy to hate-gently caress that stupid car through 2ft of water and cause it as much pain as it caused me. poo poo is pretty crazy out there.
(and it's pretty ironic that while I'm talking about its replacement it finally becomes useful for something)
E: ExecuDork, thanks for the offer. If I find something actually worth looking at I'll fire you a PM.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 5, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

E: ExecuDork, thanks for the offer. If I find something actually worth looking at I'll fire you a PM.

Lookin' forward to it. Goons have helped me with more than one of my vehicle purchases, seems only fair to do what I can. I'm only here for another ~3 weeks or so, but I can usually take a half-day for errands as needed. Weekends are best, Thursday/Friday are typically pretty good, too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd say they're extremely good at refining their engines and designs. Chevy has had a few duds out of the gate like the aluminum block Vega engine. It speaks volumes about how far GM had developed the small block that you could cut out two cylinders without any real major design changes and run it with no real issues.

Well except when they're not. The Gen III 60° V6 engines were even more magnificent piles of poo poo than the previous generations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

They never had any reason for the 60° to be good. In the early days it was either 'well at least it's not a Duke' or used as a tool to convince people to go with the 3.8 (much like the Chryco 4.7 once the new Hemi came out), and towards the end it was either the latter or just a cheap engine for people who don't care.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 5, 2015

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

McTinkerson posted:

To any and all Albertans who A) live near Castrol and B) aren't busy between now and noon tomorrow: Why the gently caress aren't you out watching the chump car race. The weather is perfect and the wheel to wheel racing is exciting. $20 at the gate!

E: It's 0630 and our clutch disk decided to poo poo the bed. Looks like we're using 3rd gear from now on.

Good to chat w/ ya at the race! I'm sure there were other goons there, but they didn't say "hi".

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

GrantC posted:

Good to chat w/ ya at the race! I'm sure there were other goons there, but they didn't say "hi".

That race was amazing! Congratulations btw! You guys were incredible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No mention whatsoever about the horns which can probably wake the dead in the ad
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1990-ranger/1092560465?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

No mention whatsoever about the horns which can probably wake the dead in the ad
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1990-ranger/1092560465?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's probably a Dixie horn. Either that, or La Cucaracha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Annual show's coming up this weekend in Irricana.

http://www.pioneeracres.ab.ca/events/annualshow.aspx

I'll be there in the slow races and playing around in the blacksmith shop again. Been looking forward to this all drat year, here's hoping the weather holds out.