Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Why is it racist to play as a white guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

You don't have enough badges to participate in this conversation at this juncture

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

JackBadass posted:

That's not something anyone said. Please try to read and comprehend before you post.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
No one can be that stupid, goddamn :psyduck:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

7c Nickel posted:

That's not something anyone said. Please try to read and comprehend before you post.

Likewaise. Notice how I didn't quote anyone, just asked a question. Please try and keep up.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Here is the answer to your bad question: It is not.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

sout posted:

I just remembered about those Pip-boy minigames.
inb4 somebody mods Fallout 1 into the pip-boy.
I don't know poo poo about modding or if that's possible.

Maybe modding in an emulator for something could be possible. Aside from noveltry, though, I don't see why you'd want to play anything on it aside from their little minigames. Not when you could just play Fallout 1 directly, at least.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Irsh posted:

Here is the answer to your bad question: It is not.

You should choose to play as a dog just to be safe, though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really, really hope that any references to NYC in Fallout 4 make it clear that the place is a hole in the ground. Not out of hatred to NYC, but I think Bethesda has already stretched things with how well preserved DC was. Which is fine in retrospect considering that DC is a relatively small city and they did enough damage to kill leaders. But it's silly for LA to be the Boneyard and New York to be standing at all.

I'd hope they take the whole "They turned that city into a sheet of glass" thing almost literally, and its just a huge plane of glass like a salt-lake almost. Not a mirror of course, but just a huge glass expanse with small imperfections. Yeah its unrealistic, but it'd be cool to see.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All they'd have to do is claim that somehow somebody deflected or exploded a few of the bombs in the air the way Mr. House did, they can make any city they want as pristine as they want.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

All they'd have to do is claim that somehow somebody deflected or exploded a few of the bombs in the air the way Mr. House did, they can make any city they want as pristine as they want.

That was the dumbest explaination.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JackBadass posted:

It's also racist to play as a straight person, and the internet will let you know abut it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cis scum will perish in the wasteland

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

I'd hope they take the whole "They turned that city into a sheet of glass" thing almost literally, and its just a huge plane of glass like a salt-lake almost. Not a mirror of course, but just a huge glass expanse with small imperfections. Yeah its unrealistic, but it'd be cool to see.
That's a really balla idea. Especially if people kept referring to The Glass, and you just slowly realizes through context clues what they were talking about.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's a really balla idea. Especially if people kept referring to The Glass, and you just slowly realizes through context clues what they were talking about.

The game will be accompanied by the Koyaanisquatsi soundtrack, which will be impossible to mute.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When did NY get mentioned in Fallout before?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

2house2fly posted:

Not really - neither of the earlier games referred to anything outside of California for the most part, with the exception of a tiny sliver of Nevada in FO2.

Parts of New York state were mentioned in various parts of FO3 but nothing regarding the city itself. There's a blurb on the news right before the bombs fell indicating it got hit first but other than that, nothing. Slaves in The Pitt did mention a number of areas around the North East US and Southern Ontario though. I suspect that being in such close proximity to the city it will get mentioned more, there's no other really major things around Boston to discuss. Unless you like skiing in Vermont, I guess.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 31, 2015

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'd imagine New York being the target of multiple nukes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

TontoCorazon posted:

I don't think any city in the US was hit harder by nukes than DC, and we already saw how it affected DC. (Not a sea of glass, but not a magically preserved Vegas strip either)

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah, but so was DC, and it was still standing to a degree. Fallout nukes being as low yield as they are, they could explain it into existence.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

True enough

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
New York being a half-sunken city with the skeletons of skyscrapers rising out of the water would be cool, if not for Gamebryo being so poo poo at dealing with water.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:gerty:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

how the christ do they think what they left us with is superior to the game literally reinforcing that no matter how well your intention, the wasteland doesn't give a gently caress about you or your stupid plans.

oh my goodness dad is a super smart science guy who is too cool for those bums in the vault! watch him change the wasteland for the better with nothing but pluck and determination!

oh nope looks like one of the MILLIONS of super mutants that infest the DC area caught him and took him back to the vault they spawned from. that's the wasteland for you! :tipshat:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

homeless poster posted:

how the christ do they think what they left us with is superior to the game literally reinforcing that no matter how well your intention, the wasteland doesn't give a gently caress about you or your stupid plans.

Unless you're the player character. Then the whole wasteland bends over backwards to kiss your rear end.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Good, The player is an unstoppable machine of death. My power should be acknowledged by everyone and it should be a tremendous honor when I grace an NPC by doing his dumb little fetch quest.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Man Whore posted:

Good, The player is an unstoppable machine of death. My power should be acknowledged by everyone and it should be a tremendous honor when I grace an NPC by doing his dumb little fetch quest.

"Wait, aren't you Player? The man who single-handedly killed over 4,000 super mutants with a broken stick, purified all water in the wasteland by spitting in the ocean, and brought a man back from the edge of death just by winking and smiling at him? Cool! Say, could you bring me a pressure cooker and an empty tin can? Only you can do this."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It would be funny if New York was just completely intact and nobody actually knew why, they all just got lucky or something.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pwnstar posted:

It would be funny if New York was just completely intact and nobody actually knew why, they all just got lucky or something.

The statue of Liberty was actually a Liberty Prime prototype and shielded the city from the blast with its own chassis.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Don't forget that when Pagliarulo was first exposed to The Wire, he said it the show's portrayal of a never-ending cycle of crime and punishment was exhausting, and the nuances of opposing existentialist forces were "too much gray in a picture that demands black and white."

"If I had a shot at editing [The Wire], I would have shown the police for the heroes that they truly are...and if I couldn't have them arresting a bad guy at the end of every episode, they'd at least close the case by the season finale. Crime is wrong and criminals are evil--nobody would disagree with that sentiment. I don't think people want to watch a show to feel conflicted about the preconceived notions of good and evil, either. That's why all 279 episodes of Hawaii Five-O ended with McGarrett saying 'book 'em, Danno!', even when it might not have made any sense. We need to feel good about ourselves."

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Don't forget that when Pagliarulo was first exposed to The Wire, he said it the show's portrayal of a never-ending cycle of crime and punishment was exhausting, and the nuances of opposing existentialist forces were "too much gray in a picture that demands black and white."

"If I had a shot at editing [The Wire], I would have shown the police for the heroes that they truly are...and if I couldn't have them arresting a bad guy at the end of every episode, they'd at least close the case by the season finale. Crime is wrong and criminals are evil--nobody would disagree with that sentiment. I don't think people want to watch a show to feel conflicted about the preconceived notions of good and evil, either. That's why all 279 episodes of Hawaii Five-O ended with McGarrett saying 'book 'em, Danno!', even when it might not have made any sense. We need to feel good about ourselves."

This can't possibly be real.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Octo1 posted:

This can't possibly be real.

It's Cream-of-plenty (also the only good poster in this thread)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cream of Plenty can you write for Fallout 4 please I think it would improve the game substantially if you did.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Andrast posted:

It's Cream-of-plenty (also the only good poster in this thread)

There are no good posters in this thread, don't give people unachievable delusions of competence.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

2house2fly posted:

In fallout tactics and in notes from f3, it was apparently already a hell hole thanks to a reactor explosion in 2065, also it was basically Detroit.

I always justified dc being intact because it probably had really heavy air defense.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I never got around to playing The Pitt, but they mentioned Ronto in it if I recall correctly, so presumably there's a clear way between the two. Western and probably the rest of upstate NY were spared a lot of bombing, on the virtue there's not really anything worth bombing. The Buffalo area is a chokepoint between the Great Lakes, the US, and Canada, and Niagara Falls would be an interesting setting.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

How about Fallout: Cuba. The island remains untouched by war but is under constant assault by refugees fleeing from the wastes of the North American continent. It already has a 1950s Americana feel so that would make development easier.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

JackBadass posted:

"Wait, aren't you Player? The man who single-handedly killed over 4,000 super mutants with a broken stick, purified all water in the wasteland by spitting in the ocean, and brought a man back from the edge of death just by winking and smiling at him? Cool! Say, could you bring me a pressure cooker and an empty tin can? Only you can do this."

Said pressure cooker is literally on the floor next to the NPC, and he is surrounded by Pork n Beans cans that he can't use because eating a meal means consuming the packaging as well.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
When you think about it, attacking DC in a nuclear war is actually a bad idea. You aren't going to kill the president, he's safe in some bunker or Airforce 1 or an oil rig in the Pacific, so maybe you take out a few cabinet members, but you would definitely kill most of congress. With the legislative branch gone, all power would naturally devolve to the executive branch and now there aren't any practical restrictions on what the president & military could do: rationing, conscription, internment camps, property seizure, martial law, summary judgement, etc. All the things that would make the war much easier to wage but are difficult or impossible to muster congressional support for. You'd take out the Pentagon too, but I have to assume that there are plenty of plans in place to run the military out of Cheyenne Mountain, that's the whole reason it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I decided to check on how r/Fallout was doing because I'm dumb

• Locked thread