Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All those animals, not being killed and fed to people. She's a disgrace to The World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't started SBR yet but all I know about it is that there are horses and I have no idea how you get there from the world as we know it from Parts 1-6 being gone

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

setafd posted:

I haven't started SBR yet but all I know about it is that there are horses and I have no idea how you get there from the world as we know it from Parts 1-6 being gone

SBR is basically just a horse racing manga for like the first 30 chapters, but it's still great.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SBR is just a reboot and pretty unrelated to the previous parts. Araki just decided to screw this whole continuity thing and start fresh.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Begemot posted:

SBR is basically just a horse racing manga for like the first 30 chapters, but it's still great.

I love the idea that Araki was sick as hell of Jotaro and Star Platinum and really just wanted to write about HORSES

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

steel ball run is about friendship and faith

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's also about turning into dinosaurs.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
It's about living in the true man's world

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Dio only uses Mastercard.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm reading through Part 6. I've liked a lot of the fights so far, especially this Limp Bizkit one I'm on now. I'm not the biggest fan of Stone Free's design, but I really like Jolyne.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stone free is a kind of lame design but it's a cool power, even if it's not as inventive as crazy diamond.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

setafd posted:

I love the idea that Araki was sick as hell of Jotaro and Star Platinum and really just wanted to write about HORSES

It's simultaneously really funny and maddening if you pick up SBR right away after finishing stone ocean.

And yes, stone free looks ridiculous but I like its ability and I like Jolyne, too.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The last third of Stone Ocean (although I haven't read it in a while) is just the entire world being incredibly dangerous with no letup, and very high stakes, and going from that to a horse racing story is a really jarring and funny shift. And a welcome one too, really, because it's like the whole world suddenly makes sense again and isn't being constantly hosed with by god-stands.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I can't say I'm all that fond of the last third of Part 6. The focus shifts away from the girls, the stands get too big, too cosmic, and Araki falls into the same power level trap he'd been deliberately trying to avoid for years. Among other problems.

SBR was a welcome reset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if it'd sustained that ridiculous level of power it would have been exhausting but as a third of a single part before a giant reset, it's fun.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It was great to see Jolyne hold her own with stand that amounted to a single piece of string

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Araki falls into the same power level trap he'd been deliberately trying to avoid for years. Among other problems.

I'll prod since your longer posts are good (assuming there's much to say here anyway, maybe there isn't), what on earth do you suppose tempted him to do that after saying repeatedly that he didn't like that sort of thing?

I sorta figure if he was tired of Jotaro and Co he could have just written other stuff anyway. Obviously he kinda figures some stuff out as he goes along in a story but has he said much about how carefully he plots things out?

Since the interaction between characters interests me as much if not more than big ole stand battles it felt like a lot that could have been explored just wasn't, probably because he was sick of it, but who knows.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked stone free's sunglasses

My biggest issue besides fight fatigue going into the final finals of part 6 was that I was convinced they would at least show or mention Giorno during one of the "what's happening elsewhere in the world" bits (rather than in one of the character profiles) and I thought it'd have been funny as a one-off "this is why he's not around" kinda thing

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, considering it's the finale of the entire storyline I figure he just wanted to go full :catdrugs: with everything that went down. Stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody and everyone freaking out about Sky Rods truly put the Bizarre in the phrase Bizarre Adventure. I can't think of anything from part 6 that I didn't find awesome.

Well. Except for what happened to Foo Fighters, at least.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I still think the biggest problem with Stone Ocean was the loss of Foo Fighters. She was adorable and I loved seeing her learning to do human stuff.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

It was great to see Jolyne hold her own with stand that amounted to a single piece of string
A single piece of string versus what might as well have been the power of god is a great concept, if only Jolyne actually won that fight. The fact that nearly the entire cast is killed off in the final act puts me off of part 6. Especially because Jotaro just came back from a coma, only to get killed off unceremoniously with everyone else. I mean, they all come back in the new universe, sure, but ending the original series in a universe where all of Jojo didn't happen at that point doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I mostly dislike how Jolyne kind of fades into the background after daddy comes back, and then the big villain is killed by some kid.

poo poo's awesome before that point, though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Normie Slayer posted:

A single piece of string versus what might as well have been the power of god is a great concept, if only Jolyne actually won that fight. The fact that nearly the entire cast is killed off in the final act puts me off of part 6. Especially because Jotaro just came back from a coma, only to get killed off unceremoniously with everyone else. I mean, they all come back in the new universe, sure, but ending the original series in a universe where all of Jojo didn't happen at that point doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

I meant the stretch from post-Limp Bizkit to arriving at Cape Canaveral. Jolyne getting chumped kinda hurts the ending, but I liked to see that the Joestars aren't fated to win every single showdown.

It's nice to see that the reset universe Jojos are possibly free of the curse of being shonen protagonists.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 31, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yeah story-wise I feel that if you're going to kill a major character you should have a pretty compelling reason to do so and the theme should point to that narratively. I read the last 20 or so chapters of Stone Ocean looking for effort post material (don't care 'bout spoilers) and I didn't feel like the ending had enough foundation in the story's thematic content - particularly when you consider the story "the entire series of Jojo up to that point." But I should really read all of part 6 before I make final judgement. At any rate, I feel like too many authors use the "rocks fall, everyone dies" ending because due to time constraints, burnout, whatever it's tidier than closing any hanging plot threads.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ascalapha odorata posted:

I'll prod since your longer posts are good (assuming there's much to say here anyway, maybe there isn't), what on earth do you suppose tempted him to do that after saying repeatedly that he didn't like that sort of thing?

I sorta figure if he was tired of Jotaro and Co he could have just written other stuff anyway. Obviously he kinda figures some stuff out as he goes along in a story but has he said much about how carefully he plots things out?

Since the interaction between characters interests me as much if not more than big ole stand battles it felt like a lot that could have been explored just wasn't, probably because he was sick of it, but who knows.
There's a lot to indicate Araki wanted to end Jojo with Part 6. SBR wasn't even initially Part 7, but a new project altogether.

The most probable reason then, as Endorph suggested, is that he wanted something akin to a grand finale to send the series to pasture. The biggest problem with power creep is that it tends to unfold (and unravel) over the course of a work rather than just at the end of it, so you're stuck with stronger and stronger goes with higher and higher stakes and holy moley just how far along are we supposed to be? Some dude just blew up the planet, how's the next guy gonna top him? In Dragon Ball Z you've got Freiza who's supposed to be the most feared power in the universe, only that arc ends and now some guy built robots (actually cyborgs) that are stronger than him. Okay.

If you're planning on winding things down, however, it's a non-issue. How's the next guy gonna top the last? He doesn't. There is no next guy. That's it. That's the end. The biggest hurdle with this setup is typically maintaining steam, but if you're coming into the station then sure, why not?

The reason I don't think it worked out for Araki, personally, is twofold: I don't think power levels play to his strengths as a writer, and it's such a departure from what's come before that it strikes me as really jarring. Jolyne and friends bust outta jail and now we've got stands capable of affecting the whole world: people turning into snails, fictional characters coming to life, memories of the planet. Shoot, the whole world itself accelerates past the vanishing point and reemerges slightly altered. That's a plot point. This morning Jolyne went up against a jail guard whose ability meant she could only remember five things at a time, now she's up against a dude who can just casually make fictional characters all around the world come alive and fight for him while he's chilling in an airplane with a drink. It's all very weird and appropriately Araki - I totally get why some people love it - but that colossal leap in power has always felt very disjointed to me. I'll admit though, it might have helped if more of Dio's sons had been interesting to me (which is a separate problem which probably has more to do with personal taste than anything).

Araki's best fights, in my opinion at least, have always revolved around the back-and-forth of two different parties trying to gain the upper hand and turn the tables, often going to ridiculous lengths to do so. Although Jojo villains typically begin with the ball in their court, in a position of power over the heroes, it's frequently a point to the proceedings that they've had to do a lot to custom tailor their advantage and could lose it in an instant. Everybody loves D'Arby the Gambler because he's wily, not because he's strong. He isn't strong. In a straight-up fight, D'Arby would lose. But he "Fights" smartly, using his stand as well as his natural abilities to secure an advantage for himself, which he then needs to fight to keep. You know who else is great? That con artist in Part 4 who uses guilt to pressure people into doing what he wants. He's way more interesting to me than a guy who can just invoke memories of the Earth to do his bidding without a catch, no strings attached. Any series can just drum up impossibly strong bad guys for the heroes to defeat; I like Araki's focus on how both sides struggle for the results they're after.

Heck, you know which fight I really dig? Long as we're on the subject? Dark Blue Moon, which most people don't really care about or even dislike. I love that this guy went to all this trouble to disguise himself as the captain (most likely undergoing expensive plastic surgery), cornering the Joestars in the middle of the ocean (his arena of choice where his stand is most versatile), only for Jotaro to trick him into giving himself away like an idiot. I love that it looks like the fight's over in a single punch, except actually Jotaro's caught and pulled underwater. I love that the fake captain uses the entire ocean to his advantage, showboating all the while. Jotaro's stand might be the most powerful on land, but now he's in the drink. What's he gonna do?

He goes with the flow of the whirlpool, allowing himself to get sucked towards the center, and stores up his energy for the crucial moment. Once in range, he attacks. It's good, and the battle's over. Great stuff.

Anyway, Part 6's third act has a lot of other stuff I take issue with, but the power leap is definitely one of it's bigger problems IMO.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 31, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, wow, that post wound up way longer than I intended. Feel free to skip everything after I talk about Dio's sons, if you're so inclined.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Xibanya posted:

At any rate, I feel like too many authors use the "rocks fall, everyone dies" ending because due to time constraints, burnout, whatever it's tidier than closing any hanging plot threads.

Does this really happen? I can think of only a few examples where the story ended with everyone (or even most characters) dying.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yes. In Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean. Except the rocks are speed.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Brannock posted:

Does this really happen? I can think of only a few examples where the story ended with everyone (or even most characters) dying.

Not anime specifically but this happens a lot in the lovely scifi/fantasy paperbacks I liked to read as a teenager. Notably it also happened in the Wolf's Rain OAV and I almost had a conniption. I want to say I saw this in some a few other animes because at the height of my high school anime mania I would watch anything just because it was anime. Now I'm a twentysomething with grinding work hours and little patience for mediocre entertainment so I only watch an anime if it's related to something I know I like or if someone recommends it. I always ask "so is everything they do rendered pointless in the end?" If my friend hesitates before answering, I'll probably pass.

Speaking of grinding work hours, I know I told everyone I had a massive effort post series on Jojo planned and then I apparently didn't follow through. Well I still have it planned but I have devoted all of my time in the last month to the SA Game Jam and the game I have been working on is hugely inspired by (and gently makes fun of) Capcom's Jojo. It goes live tomorrow night so check it out and see if I put my money where my mouth is when it comes to art.

Oh yeah and now that I'm thinking of it, weren't we going to do a let's read of Part 4? What happened to that?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Speaking of grinding work hours, I know I told everyone I had a massive effort post series on Jojo planned and then I apparently didn't follow through. Well I still have it planned but I have devoted all of my time in the last month to the SA Game Jam and the game I have been working on is hugely inspired by (and gently makes fun of) Capcom's Jojo. It goes live tomorrow night so check it out and see if I put my money where my mouth is when it comes to art.
Sounds cool. Be sure to share a link once it gets posted.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I wonder if Time Stop has an effected range, like say there was some third stand user who could stop time that was far off in a different country, he's just trying to eat his dinner when all of a sudden time stops and he's unable to move, and he keeps getting annoyed that time is seemingly randomly freezes

Brannock posted:

I think that's exactly how one of the Neverwinter Night games ends, like you beat the final boss then the cave collapses and everyone is dead "The End"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's nice to see that the reset universe Jojos are possibly free of the curse of being shonen protagonists.

As an alternative, if you want to take it that way, I don't think there is anything preventing you from interpreting the story such that the final timeline we see is actually the one that continues on from all the other parts. After all, Jolyne knew jack poo poo about all of her family's bizarre adventures, we never see Pucci or have Dio's diary mentioned before Part 6, and we never see the only character from a previous part (Jotaro) after the universe reset.

Xibanya posted:

Oh yeah and now that I'm thinking of it, weren't we going to do a let's read of Part 4? What happened to that?

Yeah that was me... I noticed that a day or so after my first post no one brought it up again, so I just assumed lack of interest or everyone had done as I did and immediately blazed into Part 4 straight away.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

This morning Jolyne went up against a jail guard whose ability meant she could only remember five things at a time, now she's up against a dude who can just casually make fictional characters all around the world come alive and fight for him while he's chilling in an airplane with a drink. It's all very weird and appropriately Araki - I totally get why some people love it - but that colossal leap in power has always felt very disjointed to me.

Yeah, it's this deal where it's certainly plausible in terms of Araki behavior. I'd been warned that it jumped like that but it was still just very jarring.

quote:

That con artist in Part 4 who uses guilt to pressure people into doing what he wants. He's way more interesting to me than a guy who can just invoke memories of the Earth to do his bidding without a catch, no strings attached. Any series can just drum up impossibly strong bad guys for the heroes to defeat; I like Araki's focus on how both sides struggle for the results they're after.
Hahah, Tamami's stand is great. That's the stuff that makes me really love Part 4; Stand Users using their abilities but not in a "take control of the world" type of way, just sort of going around with it doing whatever.

Anyway, all of that was great and not too long because I like reading long effort Jojo posts. Thanks.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that Rohan had his phone number.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He probably tried to con Rohan but couldn't make him feel guilty.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

He probably tried to con Rohan but couldn't make him feel guilty.

Hahahhaha

Several chapters of Tamami setting up various guilt traps, growing more and more desperate as they fail miserably, because you can't possibly get Rohan to give a gently caress about anything else outside his door, only to have Rohan eventually just scream at him until he's reduced to a quivering mess.

I liked Rohan's list of phone numbers in general and just like to assume that he called Jotaro regularly to complain about Josuke's terrible behavior.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://jojo-animation.com/contents/special/event_tif.html

there goes that october date again..

EDIT:

http://jojo-animation.com/contents/bd_dvd/2nd_dvd/index.html

haha holy poo poo

"no anime, no life"

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 31, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how a lot of the random antagonists in part 4 became minor allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah that was me... I noticed that a day or so after my first post no one brought it up again, so I just assumed lack of interest or everyone had done as I did and immediately blazed into Part 4 straight away.

I'm not that far in Part 4, hell, after the Game Jam I'll do it.