Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Xlyfindel posted:

hey you never know, maybe they put on the wrong filter type or something and it couldn't handle the pressure and exploded. Because that thing looks like it exploded. I kind of hope it exploded...

Sadly, this is not what a filter which has blown up do to high integral pressure looks like. Typically the can will be relatively intact and you will see a lot of deformation at the top of the filter where the plate which threads onto the base and the can are crimped together. If the can does fail it's usually a small crack and you lose enough oil fast enough that you have other issues before the whole things goes kablooey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Fart Pipe posted:

That looks a lot like when I blew up my 283. I think it dropped a valve but I had my foot to the floor when it happened and there was hardly any large pieces of piston left, haha.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

That looks a lot like when I blew up my 283. I think it dropped a valve but I had my foot to the floor when it happened and there was hardly any large pieces of piston left, haha.

When in the 283 did you not have your foot to the floor? I'm pretty sure it needed WOT to idle.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That was the stock 2bbl 283 that I killed. Im glad it happened since the replacement one makes such great noises and power.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should update your thread with about a half minute of revving the new 283 because it sounds great.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thats actually not a bad idea. Gotta see if the battery in my external mic are still good. Ill do the Javelin too.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Some dude bought a used Fiesta ST and had this happen to him at 9800 miles on the clock.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/5724-New-member!!-With-a-blown-up-Fiesta-from-MI

Some poor bastard posted:

Well I bought my fiesta with 2500 miles on it. It's been an amazing car. One day on my way home from work I pulled up to a stop sign and noticed my tach was bouncing a little at idle and it was missing. It felt just like a misfire caused from a coil pack. It was raining pretty hard and when I got home I thought maybe a coil got wet. It sounded like a Subaru with a cam! Then as I glanced up from looking under the hood I noticed smoke from the exhaust so I shut her down and decided to pull the plugs. They were all good except #2 fouled full of oil. Then I did a compression test all had 185-190 except #2 it had 65lbs. So I added a ounce of oil to the cyl and my compression jumped to 190! So knew I must have cracked a ring. So I just pulled it all apart and somehow the bottom o the piston broke apart and I cracked all the rings on number 2. But I couldn't tell you what caused it. All the other pistons are fine. The only conclusion I have is it must have been a bad cast or just a faulty piston. It's broke in an area that j have never really seen before. I was wondering if there are any other cases of this.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 27, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That definitely smacks of a manufacturing defect. Weird way for it to fail.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slavvy posted:

That definitely smacks of a manufacturing defect. Weird way for it to fail.

I was trying to figure out why this crazy person was rebuilding his engine on a car that would totally have warranty still and he mentions that he bought it with no warranty and a salvage title. WTF kind of damage gives a car a salvage title with 2500 miles on it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Flood or lightning will do it.

I've never seen a piston come apart like that. Was really confused until I kept reading.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Flood would make a ton of sense though usually hydro locking should kill the rods shouldn't it?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That's an aluminum piston, so I'd expect that to go before the connecting rod. Though, the way it broke is pretty strange, hydrolocking shouldn't leave the face unscathed while the skirt fractures off :psyduck:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Most pistons are aluminum of some sort. It depends entirely on what the weakest part of the system is - usually the cast rod, but sometimes something else.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Flooding could have allowed interesting debris into the cylinder.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Without a better image, that looks a lot like a porous cast.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was parked next to a pickup where the cords were showing in a nice 1.5" wide ring all around the sidewall of the front passenger tire. I think they ran the tire along a curb and scrubbed all the rubber off the side.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Huh.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Smooth as a baby's arse.
Low friction, should work fantastic, right?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Needs dentures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How was that gear ever supposed to turn?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I was wondering the same thing, I don't think it meshed with the top gear at all and just looks like it due to the lighting.

EDIT: Though it's funny to imagine someone assembled the gears in such a way that they worked against each other, resulting in the carnage shown.

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 29, 2015

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The slogan makes it :perfect:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to assume that because it's the UK and the poster being what it is, the Manchester metro shuttle is a hopelessly jammed up and useless system?

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

That looks like one of those "fibre" gears. All smashed out.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

What engine is that? Cummins by chance?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently it's a saab V4.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's got some years on it then.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My mom called me while driving because a warning light came on. She wouldn't pull over ("I'm going somewhere!") or look in the book and poorly described it to me (I think it might be the coolant temp light, but maybe the oil pressure light). So, maybe watch this space for disaster!

tongboy
May 1, 2003
paid like a dork
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

My mom called me while driving because a warning light came on. She wouldn't pull over ("I'm going somewhere!") or look in the book and poorly described it to me (I think it might be the coolant temp light, but maybe the oil pressure light). So, maybe watch this space for disaster!

I can't stand when people do that. I fix enough cars that friends will call me for advice.

"My car is overheating! What should I do?"

"Please pull over. I will be there in a bit"

"I can't, I will be late to $event"

"Well drive it until it dies then and call a tow"

Sigh...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's why I usually phrase it more like "pull over now, worst case is $xxx. Don't, you're looking at $xxxx."

They're a bit more likely to listen, and if they don't, they're informed when they don't.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Turned out she didn't close the hatch properly on her Forester. Crisis averted!

Still, she should have loving pulled over.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Uthor posted:

Turned out she didn't close the hatch properly on her Forester. Crisis averted!

Still, she should have loving pulled over.

How does someone not know what the gently caress the "Door Open" light on the dash looks like :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

How does someone not know what the gently caress the "Door Open" light on the dash looks like :psyduck:

"It's a right angle with butterflies at the bottom" is how she described it. She just hates driving and everything to do with it.

I ... I don't know. I thought maybe the coolant temp. The image of a gauge cluster I found didn't show the "hatch open" light, so I didn't think that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Uthor posted:

She wouldn't pull over ("I'm going somewhere!") or look in the book

"Then why the gently caress did you call me?!?"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Uthor posted:

"It's a right angle with butterflies at the bottom" is how she described it. She just hates driving and everything to do with it.

I ... I don't know. I thought maybe the coolant temp. The image of a gauge cluster I found didn't show the "hatch open" light, so I didn't think that.

I definitely would have gone with coolant temp light as well, based on that awful description she gave.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is your mom Bill Bryson?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Beats the poo poo out of me what the top right one is. Glow plug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yup.