Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

I'm not opposed to this mind you, but I don't think it would have near the participation as a cheap plastic kit. And 'affordable' depends on who you are asking, that Viking is a $70 kit.

Oh. I snapped this up last week on ebay for tenbux. Seems I was incredibly lucky then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

So if I were to suggest that we all get the same crappy Airfix 1/76 kit and do a group build sometime over the next month or so, would people be up for that? We'd need to give people time to actually track down the kit that we're going to build etc.

I'm totally down with a old Airfix build.

It's going slightly wrong already, though, I'm browsing those links and OMG! Airfix is doing a new kit of the Avro Shackleton?!

I have no idea on what kit we should pick; some of those tiny tanks look about right. The Churchill? I imagine it has many many fiddly bits

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Churchill is kind of arsey to build. The way the hull goes on means the tracks have to be in place when you assemble it so you can't paint them separately, and the sheer number of teeny bogies is infuriating for many people. Ideally they'd tootle out some of their Cold War designs for us, but ah well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm intruged by their 1/76 Matador and artillery piece combo:

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...era=5,6&man=AIR

Though perhaps we should stick to tanks as they are likely to be easier to find?

We actually have a fair bit of choice here. I know their JS-3 is very, very old:

Their Mk. II Matilda similarly intrigues me:

Or maybe I'm overthinking this and we should just get something basic German:

e: as EE pointed out before, the Panther was never in N. Africa which as far as I'm concerned gives this kit bonus points.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 31, 2015

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Totally up for seeing what a bunch of people can do with the same kit and my local store has just got a huge stock of tiny airfix kits - so count me in

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Churchill has a million bogeys that would be a horrible pain at this scale. The Airfix IS-3 is rather famous though, I wouldn't mind doing it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've built it. It was fine for me but I guess by wargamer standards I have lots of patience, while none by modeller standards.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If we do a Russian tank we could all argue about what "real Russian green' is, just throwing it out there

e: slightly more serious post, I'm good with any tiny tank. The IS-3 is good for me.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Unkempt posted:

I already did!

(It's a tad old + battered though. I kind of want to do a 1/48th version.)

And yeah, I'd be up for some of that. I've been following the instructions a lot recently, it'll be good to break out of that a bit.

This is cool as hell.

Yes! Totally up for an airfix kit bash. Something Russian armour wise would be cool, as I am currently on an eastern front bender. However, I really don't mind what it is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We seem to be trending Russian. I am fine with this.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

If we do a Russian tank we could all argue about what "real Russian green' is, just throwing it out there

e: slightly more serious post, I'm good with any tiny tank. The IS-3 is good for me.

I have actual Soviet instructions that tell you to grind up grass in mineral spirits if you run out of paint, so I think "real Russian green" is a subjective concept.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm cool with any tank, but I want to just throw out there that the Airfix P-51 is an absolute joy to build (except for screwy cockpit glass) easily available, and should paint up real nice. I literally build and painted mine in one night by accident. (I'll just paint one more thing then go to bed. Suddenly it was done)

for tanks I vote:

http://www.amazon.ca/Hornby-Airfix-A01307-Stalin-Building/dp/B0055ANMWS/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1438311167&sr=8-17&keywords=airfix+1%3A76

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

Totally down with the IS-3.

I tried to find a maus kit for truly gently caress You numbers of bogies, but didn't see one for less than $20 bucks. :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

I have actual Soviet instructions that tell you to grind up grass in mineral spirits if you run out of paint, so I think "real Russian green" is a subjective concept.

:thejoke:

I may try and do my entry as bookshelf camouflage, as I did once upon a time, unless anybody has ideas for themes. Rustier than a Vladivostok shipyard?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You could always do a Stalin Line diorama.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

:thejoke:

I may try and do my entry as bookshelf camouflage, as I did once upon a time, unless anybody has ideas for themes. Rustier than a Vladivostok shipyard?

I'd be down for having my first plane ever be an airfix rustang for this group project.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I have actual Soviet instructions that tell you to grind up grass in mineral spirits if you run out of paint

How on earth does that work? Is the pigment made of chlorophyll?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Someone should just make an executive decision today so that people can stop by the hobby store on their way home from work tomorrow and buy a kit!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't know, I've never seen a photo of a tank painted in this way.

The Locator posted:

Someone should just make an executive decision today so that people can stop by the hobby store on their way home from work tomorrow and buy a kit!

Seems like we've decided on an IS-3, unless there are any objections.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Seems like we've decided on an IS-3, unless there are any objections.
Executively decided. We now have 31 days to procure and complete an Airfix 1:76 IS-3.

Technically you're agreeing with my executively seconding and carrying someone else's motion, but the interplay of our avatars is pretty great so we're just gonna call it a "Special Relationship" I think.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 31, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

Executively decided. We now have 31 days to procure and complete an Airfix 1:76 IS-3.

I second this unilateral decision.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Works for me. Will stop at the hobby shop near the office tomorrow and see what they've got!

Any suggestions for types of cement? Back when I was a teenager I used that Testor's poo poo in the tube that is sort of a gel. I'm pretty sure that I never want to use that again, as it makes a terrible mess and I'm sure I'd still make a terrible mess with it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Raskolnikov38 posted:

... where do you think pigments come from?

The Locator posted:

Any suggestions for types of cement? Back when I was a teenager I used that Testor's poo poo in the tube that is sort of a gel. I'm pretty sure that I never want to use that again, as it makes a terrible mess and I'm sure I'd still make a terrible mess with it.

Tamiya Extra Thin, Tenax, Ambroid, Plast-I-Weld. Any thin solvent should do the trick.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 31, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Locator posted:

Works for me. Will stop at the hobby shop near the office tomorrow and see what they've got!

Tamiya extra thin is my elixer

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

... where do you think pigments come from?

I meant as a pigment for painting, unless they're finely dicing the grass or mineral spirits can rip apart plant cells,I can't see you getting enough chlorophyll to make anything approaching a paint.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Of course you can get pigment that way. Grinding up the grass will give you a nice green paste, you don't need to reduce it to it's constituent parts.

Pretty much all of the "original" pigments are made from simple stuff. Blacks made from soot or burning ivory, oranges made from heavy metals, reds from crushed up insect carapaces, yellows from animal urine, green from plant matter, etc etc. We've mostly replace all those with synthetics, or more judicious use of metals. They still use cadmium in a lot of paints, and no way you want to aerosolize that through an airbrush.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

I second this unilateral decision.

Not sure I'll be able to join unless the kit turns up on the shelf of a lhs.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mariguana posted:

Not sure I'll be able to join unless the kit turns up on the shelf of a lhs.

or this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Airfix-A01307-Josep-Stalin-Building/dp/B0055ANMWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438319559&sr=8-1&keywords=Airfix+A01307

btw, I'm jumping in on this group build, having done nothing but plastic goondam robits up til now.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 31, 2015

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
There's a bunch of them on eBay for <$10 though.

That seems to be the only seller on Amazon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'll be checking the local places tomorrow so worst comes to worst and people can wait a while to get their kit I can try sort everyone out,

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Base Emitter posted:

There's a bunch of them on eBay for <$10 though.

That seems to be the only seller on Amazon.

They don't seem to come up on a search for Airfix IS-3 for whatever reason, but the one linked by Blackchamber has 15 in stock and eligible for Prime at $9.99 - http://www.amazon.com/Airfix-A01307-Josep-Stalin-Building/dp/B0055ANMWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438319559&sr=8-1&keywords=Airfix+A01307

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I've made some brass stuff and am learning the mysteries of soldering.

I've been tossing many of the kit cast piece into the trash-bin, and one of these items was the strap that holds the foot of the bowsprit. This piece doesn't fit the bowsprit properly as I completed it, and it's kind of ugly anyway, so I made a new piece out of brass. This is 5 pieces soldered together, which was quite a trial, as the pieces are so small I couldn't heat one joint without breaking another one. In the end I got it done, it's not perfect, but it will do. I drilled holes for brass pins that I will make to pin the strap to the deck, and to the bowsprit. I then blackened it with Birchwood Casey Brass Black, as I can no longer get Blacken-It at the local shop.

I got the mast wedge filed to fit the mast, and rounded the outside edge. Haven't decided yet on any detailing for this piece.

And finally, tossing the cast swivel guns into the bin, I started work on the replacements. First I soldered the trunions in place, and began to form a 'yoke' to support the gun.

I then soldered the yoke to a rod, drilled holes for the trunion, and stuck a gun on to see how it will look.

Pretty happy with how these look. Worth the effort and expense. Opinion time - should the yoke drop right down against my existing post mounts I've made, or should the rod stand them up slightly from the mount base?

I will also be adding a handle to the gun. I sort of completely forgot to do that. Doh!

Another question. The yoke is so small, that I don't think I'll be able to solder it to the yoke without breaking the existing solder joint of the yoke to the rod. Thoughts on 'fixing' the gun in place? Super glue should work I suppose, but I'm not sure how easy that will be to make invisible, and would need to be done after blackening. I'll play with some ideas, but more than open for suggestions on this!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Locator posted:

They don't seem to come up on a search for Airfix IS-3 for whatever reason, but the one linked by Blackchamber has 15 in stock and eligible for Prime at $9.99 - http://www.amazon.com/Airfix-A01307-Josep-Stalin-Building/dp/B0055ANMWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438319559&sr=8-1&keywords=Airfix+A01307

search JS-3. Translation from Cyrillic fun.

Amazon has it as Josep Stalin for some reason

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 31, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Opinion time - should the yoke drop right down against my existing post mounts I've made, or should the rod stand them up slightly from the mount base?

I think they should stand slightly proud on the rod. If the base was flush-mounted to the post, the back and forth action while swiveling the gun would probably cause unneeded wear on the wood.

Since Blacken-It has gone out of production as well, if you want more options on other products, BlueJacket Ship Crafters make a few different solutions for blackening and browning different metals.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Jonny Nox posted:

search JS-3. Translation from Cyrillic fun.

Amazon has it as Josep Stalin for some reason

That makes sense now. Looking locally (AU) IS-3 wasn't doing much but found it now as a Joseph Stalin on ebay. Free post from 4-35 days - I guess we'll see then

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Link dump for stores that have that kit in stock:

eBay
Hobbylinc
HobbyLink Japan
Udisco
Scale Hobbyist
Megahobby
Hannants
Imperial Hobbies
Amazon US
Amazon CA

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Another question. The yoke is so small, that I don't think I'll be able to solder it to the yoke without breaking the existing solder joint of the yoke to the rod. Thoughts on 'fixing' the gun in place? Super glue should work I suppose, but I'm not sure how easy that will be to make invisible, and would need to be done after blackening. I'll play with some ideas, but more than open for suggestions on this!

If you use a nail with a larger head than the hole in the yoke instead of soldering in the bottom rod than there's nothing to break. Of course that will pretty much deprive you of the option of standing up the assembly from the mount base.

Kinda like this:

which coincidentally led to this little thing I made yesterday (Disregard the pulley block. It's bad and wrong and will be redone.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 31, 2015

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
That Airfix group thing sounds fun, and I've yet to build a tank. Guess I'm going to need to make a trip to my local hobby shop and see if he has any in stock. :getin:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Glad we all made a decision while I was asleep. Just ordered my kit and should get here tail end of next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Good find. It's been a few years since I've built some armor, and longer since I took the time to paint one. Looking forward to a quick, simple little model to get back into things.