Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Nah keep it. It's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost posted:

Nah keep it. It's the best.

I ain't got no use for a 35mm p+s anymore, especially once I get a new phone next month...
e: I think I really am format-neutral finally, using my phone or my 5d or mju it's all the same except film is a real pain to get from camera to screen.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I ain't got no use for a 35mm p+s anymore, especially once I get a new phone next month...
e: I think I really am format-neutral finally, using my phone or my 5d or mju it's all the same except film is a real pain to get from camera to screen.

Yea I get you. I did that once, I sold my old mju and some other cameras I never used but after a while I got the itch for that lowfi look that a p&s gives at times. I shoot maybe 1 roll of 35mm once every 2-3 months nowadays.
I use my phone a lot for instagram though, it's just so drat easy.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Ethanfr0me posted:

Not just the T4 - the Contax T2, Olympus Stylus Epic (Mju-ii), Ricoh Gr series, Fuji Klasse, etc. are all going for bonkers money on eBay compared to a few years ago...

Time to go for the more obscure (but still amazing) Japanese ones. May be time for a new thread in light of this price boom. It's still crazy to me that a Yashica T4 in good condition will sell for about the same price as my Minolta TC1 which is simply a better made camera in all regards (metal body vs plastic just for starters)

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 18, 2015

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I posted most of these in other threads. W/e, I'm happy that this thread made me buy an XA. It's nice to have a 35mm again, now I can take shots I would have otherwise talked myself out of for economic reasons. I think that's a good thing; I feel like I'm taking more risks instead of falling back on things that have worked in the past. Might just be the new camera endorphins talking though.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uGBHm1
]img005[/url] by LargeHadron, on Flickr

img034
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

img006

img024

img013

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

I posted most of these in other threads. W/e, I'm happy that this thread made me buy an XA. It's nice to have a 35mm again, now I can take shots I would have otherwise talked myself out of for economic reasons. I think that's a good thing; I feel like I'm taking more risks instead of falling back on things that have worked in the past. Might just be the new camera endorphins talking though.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uGBHm1
]img005[/url] by LargeHadron, on Flickr

img034

img006

img024

img013

Agreed.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 25, 2015

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Selling a Ricoh GR1s in the Buy / Sell Thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=220&perpage=40#post447049203

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Oh man that's so tempting.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This one looks so much like RIT (my alma mater) it's loving uncanny

and also a good picture

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I'm so glad my next HP5+ is bulk and rolling my own. Committing to 36 exposures is too much.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Can anyone actually comment on the GR1? How quickly can it shoot after you turn it on? And what is the lens like? How many flashes do you get per battery?

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can anyone actually comment on the GR1? How quickly can it shoot after you turn it on? And what is the lens like? How many flashes do you get per battery?

Mine will shoot about a second after the lens extends, so maybe 2-3 once you press the power button. Lens is super sharp, has a snap mode, likes to shoot wide open on auto. I've shot about 10 rolls on it so far, about half of that with flash and the battery is still going strong. It's a great camera, I just have too many 35mm p&s atm.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Lens is disappointing. The Stylus Epic has a sharper lens from my experience. Don't know the time to shoot but it does come with a fixed focus option that allows you to shoot without focusing.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

How do you guys like the Nikon L35AF? there's one for :tenbux: on local CL, and I might be able to get the T4 super D on the cheap.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

red19fire posted:

How do you guys like the Nikon L35AF? there's one for :tenbux: on local CL, and I might be able to get the T4 super D on the cheap.

for :10bux: who cares?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Just dropped off the first roll from my new XA2 for development. I grabbed it fresh out of the mailbox on my way to drop off a friend at the airport and ended up shooting the whole roll there. I hadn't read the manual yet, so I was guesstimating which focus zone to use (mostly the middle one). It was very sunny, so I'm hoping it kept the aperture small and it won't matter too much if the distance was a bit off. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

This is a pretty nice little camera. (Although I wish I had done better research; I thought it was going to have rangefinder focusing like the XA). If the photos it takes are nice and sharp, and the zone focus is forgiving enough, I could see myself starting to use it in lieu of my SLR for most of the film shooting I do.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
The rangefinder in the XA is pretty poor, nice that it's there if you need it but I end up zone focusing most of the time anyway.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I've found the brightness of XA rangefinders to vary widely. My last one was unusable but the one I have right now is pretty good.

China by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Hotel Max by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

NE Everett by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

red19fire posted:

It's pretty awesome, the motor drive is hilariously loud just FYI.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Just dropped off the first roll from my new XA2 for development. I grabbed it fresh out of the mailbox on my way to drop off a friend at the airport and ended up shooting the whole roll there. I hadn't read the manual yet, so I was guesstimating which focus zone to use (mostly the middle one). It was very sunny, so I'm hoping it kept the aperture small and it won't matter too much if the distance was a bit off. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

This is a pretty nice little camera. (Although I wish I had done better research; I thought it was going to have rangefinder focusing like the XA). If the photos it takes are nice and sharp, and the zone focus is forgiving enough, I could see myself starting to use it in lieu of my SLR for most of the film shooting I do.

I almost always forget to change the focus on the XA2. Although chances are I'm usually taking pictures in that zone but it's also incredibly forgiving.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Got the first batch of poo poo from my XA2. I like this camera; it seems fairly sharp.

(Beware, lo-res drugstore scans)

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 23, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

I almost always forget to change the focus on the XA2. Although chances are I'm usually taking pictures in that zone but it's also incredibly forgiving.

I usually only have problems taking photos too close to someone/something. If you get within about 6' of your subject, make sure to switch to the portrait setting.

Ranges from the manual:

Portrait: 1m (3.28ft) -1.5m (4.9ft)
Snapshot: 1.2m (3.9ft) - infinity
Landscape: 2.5m (8.2ft) - infinity

http://www.cameramanuals.org/olympus_pdf/olympus_xa2.pdf

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Are there any 35mm panoramic cameras that don't use a panorama mask, that also aren't absurdly expensive, like the Fuji TX-1/Hasselblad Xpan?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Holga 135 pan, lomo spinner 360, Noblex 135, Horizon panoramic cameras also sold by lomography.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness
Mad Men auction is opening up soon and it looks like they have 2 cameras for sale.
http://auction.screenbid.com/view-auctions/individual-lots/?key=camera

Kodak Instamatic 104

Kodak Instamatic 300 (with flash cubes! ooOOo)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
What about the Rolleiflex and Leica M2 they used??

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I think they only showed the Leica box :v:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I've been using the Fuji Natura S with 1600 color film lately and loving the gently caress out of it.

Someone is drinking in there somewhere, I'm sure.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Naturas are cool as poo poo but a p+s that costs half the price of a miata. :psyboom:

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Naturas are cool as poo poo but a p+s that costs half the price of a miata. :psyboom:

hi matt, have you met my friend dorkasaurus_rex?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Nooooo I actually got a decent deal on one ($400 or so) because it's some ugly lavender color that no one wants

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Nooooo I actually got a decent deal on one ($400 or so) because it's some ugly lavender color that no one wants

:colbert:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I'm going to value all my gear and future purchases in "miatas" now.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Half a miata ain't that bad really.
Depending on how fast those cameras break.

PS dorkasaurus, are those lab scanned? Lookin sharp

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I found myself a Yashica Samurai X3.0 locally for cheap :getin:

:eyepop:

Half-frame SLR with 25-75mm power zoom, autofocus, motorized film advance.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

Pretty much need one of these now

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Bahaha who birthed that idea!

Looks awesome

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I found a Cosina CX-1 at a garage sale for $5. Anyone know if it's worth it to run a test roll through it? I have a love-hate relationship with my Lomo LC-A, but I stick with it for when I want that lo-fi feel, and I'm wondering if the Cosina is better or worse for that Lomo look.

I'll probably end up selling one because owning both the Cosina and the Lomo seems like overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

how do you even put film in this

• Locked thread