Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Supercar Gautier posted:

Zelda got buffed! What I'm hearing so far is stronger jab and dtilt, adjustments to neutral air knockback, faster up-tilt, and phantom slash now pushes people away if they're right in her face.

Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TheKingofSprings posted:

create a tournaments are restricted to 4 player FFA

you can't enter in numbers or letters for anything from the gamepad alone, you need a TV

tournaments (especially 1v1s) fill up fast and then you're stuck waiting, this one will be a full half hour before I actually get in it

All of this is fine though

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

you can't create any sort of normal tournament bracket. you can only set dates for how long the tournament is active. you can choose to have the winner at the end be either who ends up with the most points or who ends up with the most wins. you can't choose to make it 1v1 only, it's always free for all with however many people show up at a time (if less than 4 people show up you have to wait down a timer before the match will start).

beyond user created tournaments, they also have premade tournaments with various rulesets that you can join. these DO have a normal bracket set up, but anyone can join them, and the rulesets they use are limited. you'll either get every stage available or omega only available with no inbetween. all of these tournaments are character locked, so once you join you are stuck with whatever character you picked for the whole thing. you only get one match, no 2 out of 3 or w/e. they're all single elimination. you can't do anything else while you are waiting for the tournament you entered to start, which is likely going to be a 30 minute wait because all of the 1v1 tournaments fill up quickly because, surprise, that's the mode people who wanted tournaments actually want to play.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
How the gently caress does it take you eight months after launch to crate a tournament mode and then you can't actually create a real-rear end brackets using tournament? That's loving ridiculous.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Are there no offline tourneys anymore? That sucks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's really lame. I was looking forward to 1v1 with goons without filling my friend list up.:(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

wait what

No teams

No 1v1s

No fun

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sharrrk posted:

you can't create any sort of normal tournament bracket. you can only set dates for how long the tournament is active. you can choose to have the winner at the end be either who ends up with the most points or who ends up with the most wins. you can't choose to make it 1v1 only, it's always free for all with however many people show up at a time (if less than 4 people show up you have to wait down a timer before the match will start).

beyond user created tournaments, they also have premade tournaments with various rulesets that you can join. these DO have a normal bracket set up, but anyone can join them, and the rulesets they use are limited. you'll either get every stage available or omega only available with no inbetween. all of these tournaments are character locked, so once you join you are stuck with whatever character you picked for the whole thing. you only get one match, no 2 out of 3 or w/e. they're all single elimination. you can't do anything else while you are waiting for the tournament you entered to start, which is likely going to be a 30 minute wait because all of the 1v1 tournaments fill up quickly because, surprise, that's the mode people who wanted tournaments actually want to play.

That's so unbelievable I almost want to stand up and applaud

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Little Mac posted:

All of this is fine though

gently caress off

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

lmfao one more thing i forgot. all stock tournaments are locked to 2 stock 3 minutes. look forward to seeing the timer run out

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Sheesh, Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to see the preferred match format(s) that every tournament holder ever uses? That's loving awful.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

sharrrk posted:

lmfao one more thing i forgot. all stock tournaments are locked to 2 stock 3 minutes. look forward to seeing the timer run out

This seems like it's specifically geared for their YouTube replay function that tops out at three minutes. Which is incredibly stupid.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

sharrrk posted:

But can you still upload a 3 minute match to YouTube if (when) it goes to sudden death? :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm glad everyone got what they wanted

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

The Manticore posted:

But can you still upload a 3 minute match to YouTube if (when) it goes to sudden death? :v:

Tournament matches don't go into sudden death, "the more active player" takes the win. Whatever that means.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

create a tournaments are restricted to 4 player FFA
:yikes:

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Tournament matches don't go into sudden death, "the more active player" takes the win. Whatever that means.

That is the most Sakurai thing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sharrrk posted:

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

sharrrk posted:

Do you mean the Regular tournaments? Because you can totally make your own tournament with however many stocks or minutes as you like.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like the black knight outfit.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

mabels big day posted:

I like the black knight outfit.

Agreed

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

Do you mean the Regular tournaments? Because you can totally make your own tournament with however many stocks or minutes as you like.

no the premade ones.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maple Leaf posted:

I think they mean the tournament mode Melee and Brawl had, which built a randomized 1v1 bracket for you. Smash 4 still doesn't have that.

That's not really the big loss here, though. Any actual local tournament above drunk-tier would involve more rules/options than that mode had, and above a certain size, multiple consoles.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Honestly, if it weren't for forced FFA, tourney mode would be quite serviceable. No brackets is kind of weird but Round Robin tournaments are p. cool too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wasn't too into tourney's myself but I feel genuinely bad for those looking forward to it. Sorry.

Bill Trinen is going to be out for blood in a few minutes

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 31, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

everyone should be watching this

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The difference between Bill's play and Reggie's play is like night and day.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 31, 2015

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Bill wasn't too bad, it's a shame he didn't stick around

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bill is 10x better at Zelda than I am.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I lost to level 3 Little Mac on Peach's Castle as Luigi in four player FFA. He got 8 KOs.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

quote:

Aerial Wizard's Foot now breaks shields

The power...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Raserys posted:

Here's the official announcement video including all the mii fighter costumes: https://youtu.be/kERaZDelEYQ

Now including Samus and The Black Knight

Samus deconfirmed??

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ruggington posted:

The power...

yeah this is good

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kurtofan posted:

Samus deconfirmed??

I see some people posting this unironically and I feel genuinely bad for them.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

That's so unbelievable I almost want to stand up and applaud

Its batshit insane is what it is

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I can see this not supporting team matches since it was built around the idea of having people join and drop from the tournament at random intervals, but not even giving us the oppertunity to make the matches 1v1 or let us make a bracket tournament is just baffling.

On the other hand, the sheer popularity of such matches in the Regular Tournaments menu might convince the developers to put more support into that playstyle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sun Salutation now heals 2% c:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Honestly, tonight I just ended up reminding myself why I stopped playing online; the victories feel hollower and the losses saltier when both players are experiencing lag and dropped inputs and literally can't play at their best.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
lmao not at the tournament mode, but at the qqing of the ppl in ths thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

absolutely anything posted:

lmao not at the tournament mode, but at the qqing of the ppl in ths thread

I don't see anything like that in the thread, but man Nintendo continues to astonish.

• Locked thread