Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Lloyd was pretty good, but I'm not sure how much anyone whose never heard of Nukie would get out of it. I did like the opening scene with the date, it felt very Bojack Horseman, which is a good thing imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What kind of person do you have to be to think of your childhood as something that must be continually sustained in a sad half-life by endlessly regurgitating and recycling the superficial brands that were popular at the time.

Like, I liked Crash Bandicoot as a kid. But I don't mind that they aren't really making them today, and that different kinds of games are popular, because my fond memories are not contingent on something I liked back then being continually popular. If someone made a gritty reboot of Crash Bandicoot directed by Michael Bay, I'd just kind of laugh it off and wonder how much of a mess it was going to be, then go on with my day.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What kind of person do you have to be to think of your childhood as something that must be continually sustained in a sad half-life by endlessly regurgitating and recycling the superficial brands that were popular at the time.

Like, I liked Crash Bandicoot as a kid. But I don't mind that they aren't really making them today, and that different kinds of games are popular, because my fond memories are not contingent on something I liked back then being continually popular. If someone made a gritty reboot of Crash Bandicoot directed by Michael Bay, I'd just kind of laugh it off and wonder how much of a mess it was going to be, then go on with my day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qaUC6jErag

This kind of person

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Why is he talking so fast? It's like he's trying to churn butter with his mouth. Does he not know that youtube no longer has limits on the videos' length?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

It's insulting. It's offensive. These things need to be respected a lot more.

I'd say more people with these kinds of reactions would want something to end rather than be continually sustained.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Argh, Jesus, my heart. That's a great one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PiedPiper posted:

Why is he talking so fast? It's like he's trying to churn butter with his mouth. Does he not know that youtube no longer has limits on the videos' length?

It's because he started on the Escapist, and Yahtzee was popular for doing the same thing.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

WickedHate posted:

It's insulting. It's offensive. These things need to be respected a lot more.

I'd say more people with these kinds of reactions would want something to end rather than be continually sustained.

I.E. simpsons.

I love the show, I quote it everyday but the show need to end but I am no longer mad about it.

It's why I am so happy splatoon is a success as it is. I want Nintendo to have more powerhouse franchiese then Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. I love all 3 but I want new cool things like spaltoon.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The kind of person who has nothing else in their life, whether by sheer fixation or lack of going the gently caress outside once in a while.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

He did try to argue that Halo was a front for fascism once.

My favorite was him defending Other M and saying that everyone else is racist for disliking it and not understanding Japan and its culture.

There's also this except from his loving book:

Movie Bob posted:

In my memories, the Great Console Wars dragged on like my own private Vietnam, and it didn’t help that I was still constantly in trouble at school and in and out of therapy at the time for anger, attention and authority issues. However, it really only lasted a couple of years.

and

Movie Bob posted:

Now, having watched the film much, much more often than it deserves since then I can likely quote about 80% of it chapter and verse. (“You got 50,000 points in Double Dragon!?” “I love the Power Glove... it’s so bad.” “Video... Arrrr-maaaa-geddooooon!” “HE TOUCHED MY BREASTS!!!!” “California...”) But the climactic reveal of SMB3 is burned - no, seared - into my memory the way JFK’s assassination was for my parents’ generation... or the way 9/11 would be for mine a scant 12 years from then…
My God... was it really only 12 years?

Edit: So why did MobieBob ever leave escapist anyways? They love pseudo-intellectual bullshit over there like he spews on a regular basis.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 31, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

He did try to argue that Halo was a front for fascism once.

This one's not actually as cut-and-dry as you first think. It's absolutely not a front for fascism, but it's interesting that if you go look at any of the backstory stuff it is a military dictatorship government. Even the Spartans were originally developed to stop all the various colony worlds going independent before the Covenant started glassing them one-by-one and suddenly the UNSC was the lesser of two evils for everybody.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

Edit: So why did MobieBob ever leave escapist anyways? They love pseudo-intellectual bullshit over there like he spews on a regular basis.

He quit because they threw their lot in behind the ethics in games journalism crowd.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Moviebob was fired from The Escapist

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PassTheRemote posted:

Moviebob was fired from The Escapist

If you consider Roosh a valid source

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This one's not actually as cut-and-dry as you first think. It's absolutely not a front for fascism, but it's interesting that if you go look at any of the backstory stuff it is a military dictatorship government. Even the Spartans were originally developed to stop all the various colony worlds going independent before the Covenant started glassing them one-by-one and suddenly the UNSC was the lesser of two evils for everybody.

Yeah pretty much, including the way they always say Spartans never die as a method to mythologize them as godly instruments of war. Ironically enough the human population being completely decimated was actually in their favor, seeing as the colonies would have to stay, otherwise they won't have the means to survive.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

He quit because they threw their lot in behind the ethics in games journalism crowd.

Jim quit, moviebob was fired.

We know he was fired because he was tweeting about it the day it happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Annointed posted:

Yeah pretty much, including the way they always say Spartans never die as a method to mythologize them as godly instruments of war. Ironically enough the human population being completely decimated was actually in their favor, seeing as the colonies would have to stay, otherwise they won't have the means to survive.

Nah, the Spartans were always PR'ed as heroes of humanity rather than getting a chance to be the terrifying anti-insurgency supersoldiers they were designed to be. They'd barely gotten to being ready for full-scale deployment when the Covenant rocked up and started ruining everyone's day.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Tracula posted:

Movie Bob posted:

Now, having watched the film much, much more often than it deserves since then I can likely quote about 80% of it chapter and verse. (“You got 50,000 points in Double Dragon!?” “I love the Power Glove... it’s so bad.” “Video... Arrrr-maaaa-geddooooon!” “HE TOUCHED MY BREASTS!!!!” “California...”) But the climactic reveal of SMB3 is burned - no, seared - into my memory the way JFK’s assassination was for my parents’ generation... or the way 9/11 would be for mine a scant 12 years from then…
My God... was it really only 12 years?

Jesus.

Christ.

e: ... you bought his book?

ee: he wrote a book?!

Sorry - I'm still recovering from the revelation that an adult human considers the launch of a Mario game equivalent to a historical event with global consequences.

I mean I was excited when I first got Megaman X but... Jesus Christ.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 31, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Todd just posted the one hit wonderland for MMMbop.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Testekill posted:

That is a more important historical moment than Moviebob's book.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Tracula posted:

My favorite was him defending Other M and saying that everyone else is racist for disliking it and not understanding Japan and its culture.

I love it when people never mention Japanese culture except to say "you're racist for thinking this has problems" about this thing they like. (Of course, I apologise if I'm wrong and he actually researched the cultural influence/reaction to it. I just find it doubtful from someone who angrily compares a movie to poop.)

Not even going to touch the "fiction is totally as important as war/assassination/terrorism" bit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Testekill posted:

What video host is he using?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh I understand that, I am a pretty big Halo fan. I just thought it was ridiculous that his reasoning for calling them nazis was because a dude's eyes turned blue undergoing Spartan gene therapy in one of the Halo Reach live action trailers. But to call them genocidal fucks when faced with literal genocidal aliens merely points out his ignorance and how the whole video was an excuse to whine about a video game he didn't like being popular.

The Halo lore is pretty interesting, and it's a shame it doesn't get touched on as much in the actual games. The Eric Nylund books were great.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tracula posted:

There's also this except from his loving book:

Is that from Mario Bro's. 3: Brick by Brick? I stumbled across it last time I was on Fangamer ordering Kari Fry's books. I remember because the reviews were overwhelmingly negative, all mentioning the numerous typos, how the book drones on and on about things that aren't nearly as interesting as Bob thinks they are, and how the margins are so hosed up you have to practically pull it apart to read the words that have plunged into the book's spine.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

dijon du jour posted:

Is that from Mario Bro's. 3: Brick by Brick? I stumbled across it last time I was on Fangamer ordering Kari Fry's books. I remember because the reviews were overwhelmingly negative, all mentioning the numerous typos, how the book drones on and on about things that aren't nearly as interesting as Bob thinks they are, and how the margins are so hosed up you have to practically pull it apart to read the words that have plunged into the book's spine.

You can actually see that in one of the preview images.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

If you consider Roosh a valid source

My source was MovieBob.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Jim quit, moviebob was fired.

We know he was fired because he was tweeting about it the day it happened.

this

Max Wilco posted:

You can actually see that in one of the preview images.

Was this self published? What editor allowed this?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Mraagvpeine posted:

What video host is he using?

Still on Blip, he's considering options. For him, Youtube would also be problematic, obviously.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've been using Vimeo for about a month now (for versions of videos that had content YouTube wouldn't be ok with) and I'm liking it so far.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I like how he tries to prove how much he knows about The Wizard by quoting the lines even people who have never watched it probably know.

Who here is a huge fan of Citizen Kane? Check this out: "Rosebud." Only true fans will get it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Are there any good reviewers for shows like Malcolm in the Middle and CSI:SVU? I enjoy both for different reasons, the former from childhood nostalgia and the later for how hilariously convoluted the crimes can be.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PassTheRemote posted:

My source was MovieBob.

this

Was this self published? What editor allowed this?

Well I guess I was wrong then. I confused him with Jim, and the first google result was Roosh's stupid gamergate bandwagon site. Sorry.

If you want to read a good book about a videogame, look up that book about Wisdom Tree, the company that made all those Bible games. That's a genuinely interesting story.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Annointed posted:

Are there any good reviewers for shows like Malcolm in the Middle and CSI:SVU? I enjoy both for different reasons, the former from childhood nostalgia and the later for how hilariously convoluted the crimes can be.

Did you mean Law & Order? That show's a lot less goofy than CSI from what I remember. That theme music is also pretty awesome.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheMaestroso posted:

Did you mean Law & Order? That show's a lot less goofy than CSI from what I remember. That theme music is also pretty awesome.

Law and Order SVU had an episode where Detective Stabler goes to the Czech republic to team up with a retired detective called "The Falcon"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Law and Order SVU had an episode where Detective Stabler goes to the Czech republic to team up with a retired detective called "The Falcon"

I didn't say it wasn't goofy, just that it was less goofy than CSI. Also, that sounds way more interesting than anything from CSI that I've seen (and I've seen quite a bit).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Speaking of which, I finally saw Man of Steel a while ago, and drat if Christopher Meloni isn't incredibly distracting in it. He's gone just long enough to forget, and then suddenly he's back.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TheMaestroso posted:

I didn't say it wasn't goofy, just that it was less goofy than CSI. Also, that sounds way more interesting than anything from CSI that I've seen (and I've seen quite a bit).

There was an episode of Law and Order SVU that began with them finding a video camera in a woman's toilet, and ended with them pondering the question of whether or not it's ok to let a pedophile teacher get her teaching job back since she had the tumor that was making her a pedophile removed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

boom boom boom posted:

There was an episode of Law and Order SVU that began with them finding a video camera in a woman's toilet, and ended with them pondering the question of whether or not it's ok to let a pedophile teacher get her teaching job back since she had the tumor that was making her a pedophile removed.

:what:

Are you sure it wasn't Touch of Cloth? Or Brass Eye's Paedophile special?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
SVU is terrible, but it's also hilarious. CSI is just grimdark, boring drek.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If you want to read a good book about a videogame, look up that book about Wisdom Tree, the company that made all those Bible games. That's a genuinely interesting story.

Do you have a title or author or anything for this, because Google is not helping with the information I have right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

:what:

Are you sure it wasn't Touch of Cloth? Or Brass Eye's Paedophile special?

I remember that ep, it was two completely unrelated stories because SVU is insane. They find the camera, and find out it caught a teacher with her student and they go after her but it turns out she had some tumor that was like, messing with her brain somehow and making her a nymphomaniac or something.

The greatest SVU ep is BY FAR the episode where an actual, no joke, mad scientist makes some weird thing that can let criminals bypass DNA tests. The episode ends with the doctor literally going "NOW YOU COPS CAN'T RELY ON DNA!" and giving an honest to god supervillain laugh.

• Locked thread