Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Burn Down Canberra posted:

So Watto is back for Mitch Marsh right ? And smarsh is in for Voges. That seems obvious. I don't think they will change the bowlers because they are bowling England out.

surely marsh stays for his bowling, which has been hard to fault. if you want someone out surely its voges who has to go

i think maybe marsh has been told that hes the dedicated allrounder so hes got this thing in his head where he needs to prove himself with the bat and over does it rather than just trying to stay in and build an innings. or maybe hes just an idiot, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

also i reckon we're still in this one guys!

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Australia could defend 150

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Clarke will be remembered as a better batsman than captain because he ultimately failed at doing what the great Australian captains have historically done which is mould a team wracked with personal and professional division into a world-beating team in the captain's own image. I think it's telling that important moments in his captaincy have come relatively late - the whitewash, Phil Hughes death, and the World Cup win.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Michael Clarke is too Gen Y for old people to like much

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

He started his career with some great innings in India his first innings:

MJ Clarke c †Patel b Khan 151 341 248 18 4 60.88

I think he did his best in Australia but overseas he's no slouch.

He averages 40 overseas and 60 in Australia. Most batsmen will have a gap between home and away in the ball park of 5-10 runs. 20 runs is a lot.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
If Neville and Starc can do what Moeen and Broad did Australia will win.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i dont think theres as much batting ability in nevill and starc as there is in broad and ali

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Broads.made a test century, starc got out on 99

Wrap it up Ausfailures

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol what has starc seriously made 99 before

e: apparently so. well there you go

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Drugs posted:

Australia could defend 150

Hahaha no

One hint of pressure and our 2 Mitchell's 1 Josh spray it everywhere

MJ got a couple with hero balls but purified mostly rubbish

Starc complete rubbish and got lucky when Root had a brain fart

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Another 10 or 20 runs should be enough. Starc is going to come good and steamroll this bunch of English misfits.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Whatever the score it will be 2+ days on a flattening pitch. If England find a way to lose here they are true heroes.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

England will be chasing less than 50 most likely and currently our best choice would be Lyon opening the bowling

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Australia's best hope is either the English team gets food poisoning or pressured by the ECB to draw it out to 5 days.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 31, 2015

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

lol what has starc seriously made 99 before

e: apparently so. well there you go

He is a decent enough batsman. Both Starc and Broad average low 20s. Broad is better but Starc is no mug. Ali is a proper batsman though but I guess so is Nevill.

It's all moot because we aren't going to win lol. As negligent said can you imagine our clown bowlers with any kind of pressure. Even good Australian sides never handled pressure that well.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Negligent posted:

Hahaha no

One hint of pressure and our 2 Mitchell's 1 Josh spray it everywhere

MJ got a couple with hero balls but purified mostly rubbish

Starc complete rubbish and got lucky when Root had a brain fart

I think Australia could defend 150, more due to England having a mental collapse, but it's moot because our bowlers won't score the runs.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gabensraum posted:

I think Australia could defend 150, more due to England having a mental collapse, but it's moot because our bowlers won't score the runs.

This is true, remember that small but shaky run chase in India?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I want cook to hit the winning runs so we can get happycook.jpg

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I would be concerned for England chasing more than 150 since the batsmen are a bunch of clowns and would do something stupid.

I seriously doubt the last 3 wickets will put on 130+ runs though.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

serious gaylord posted:

I would be concerned for England chasing more than 150 since the batsmen are a bunch of clowns and would do something stupid.

I seriously doubt the last 3 wickets will put on 130+ runs though.

If Australia can get a lead of 100 we could have a hilarious chase on our hands. Any less than that and it will probably be over by lunch.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Years of English mediocrity has broken the brains of some people. England are going to win this before lunch.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I would be disappointed if it took more than 10 overs to roll the people left. They're not exactly going to be dead batting to save a test. They need runs.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Seams posted:

Years of English mediocrity has broken the brains of some people. England are going to win this before lunch.

You're talking about a different side than the one that got rolled by over 400 runs in the last test right? And who just lost their main strike bowler by the looks of things?

I mean yeah it certainly looks like England are going to win this test, but let's not pretend that this England side is any different to the aforementioned years of mediocrity and comedy collapses. There's still a chance they'll steal defeat from the jaws of victory here, and if there' a side up to that challenge it's definitely England.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I would be disappointed if it took more than 10 overs to roll the people left. They're not exactly going to be dead batting to save a test. They need runs.

cue cook grinding out 20no with a strike rate of 15

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Seams posted:

England are terrible at handling situations like this. Making small totals to win, bowling out tailenders - they are really bad at winning a won game

Although they do have Smokin' Joe now so I guess it's not as worrisome as it could be

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
England should win this unless Australia somehow set 130+. We have a history of making a pig's ear of simple run chases:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/216994.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/225265.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/engine/match/565808.html

And here's one we lost:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/225443.html

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/content/story/904161.html

96% (the Scotland one got me)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

monkeu posted:

You're talking about a different side than the one that got rolled by over 400 runs in the last test right? And who just lost their main strike bowler by the looks of things?

I mean yeah it certainly looks like England are going to win this test, but let's not pretend that this England side is any different to the aforementioned years of mediocrity and comedy collapses. There's still a chance they'll steal defeat from the jaws of victory here, and if there' a side up to that challenge it's definitely England.

Australia are going to lose the Ashes.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Australia are going to lose the Ashes.

You're only as good as your last whitewash :smug:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

monkeu posted:

This England side is different to England sides of the past in that it's better. It'll be interesting to see how they go without Anderson if he doesn't play in the next Test, but Finn is apparently good now and Broad is still due for his big match.

edit: Anderson has been ruled out of the next Test.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Both sides have hilarious flaws just look at both their middle orders. England have home advantage which matters heaps in cricket.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Seams posted:

This England side is different to England sides of the past in that it's better. It'll be interesting to see how they go without Anderson if he doesn't play in the next Test, but Finn is apparently good now and Broad is still due for his big match.

edit: Anderson has been ruled out of the next Test.

Well we saw how well this England side went without Anderson last test when he didn't take any wickets. It's never good to see someone injured, but Australia have retained the Ashes with confirmation that he's out.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

monkeu posted:

Well we saw how well this England side went without Anderson last test when he didn't take any wickets. It's never good to see someone injured, but Australia have retained the Ashes with confirmation that he's out.

A bit early for predictions, no? England went pretty well this innings with him injured.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
You can't expect Finn to get 5 wickets again in his career though right?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Australia to win 5-0

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
Guardian says Anderson is out for Trent Bridge.
That is a shame, he has great stats at that ground.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

monkeu posted:

You're only as good as your last whitewash :smug:
Nobody told England that in 2009.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Unimpressed posted:

A bit early for predictions, no? England went pretty well this innings with him injured.

He wasn't injured until like 35 overs in and he took Dave Warner's wicket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Hahaha MiJo admitting that he hosed up by not bowling more bouncers