Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dunno, I at least liked that in BL2 I didn't feel constantly underleveled if I didn't leave the story quest to do some bullshit I don't feel like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I much prefer TPS' constant side-tracking to 2's more-than-occasional overleveled backtracking. That run from Liar's Berg to the top of the ship to put Matchstick on the altar is unforgivable. Other than that though the two games are pretty much exactly the same imo which is something I kind of like.

The lack of campaign-level DLC for TPS is really disappointing, though. BL1 and BL2 both had significant DLC released, but TPS has barely any. Also, the pre-patch fight with EOS as a singleplayer was close to insulting - I actually stopped playing after getting frustrated at that fight a few times, and then tried it again after the big patch and was able to finish him the first try.

I still have some missions to complete in that DLC, now that I think of it, but TPS just feels low-content compared to the earlier games.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The lack of campaign-level DLC for TPS is really disappointing, though. BL1 and BL2 both had significant DLC released, but TPS has barely any. Also, the pre-patch fight with EOS as a singleplayer was close to insulting - I actually stopped playing after getting frustrated at that fight a few times, and then tried it again after the big patch and was able to finish him the first try.

I still have some missions to complete in that DLC, now that I think of it, but TPS just feels low-content compared to the earlier games.

That's a little bit unfair. BL2 had a STAGGERING amount of content added after release, and complaining that TPS wasn't also supported with campaign DLC for 18 months is just off. Comparing any games DLC to BL2s is unfair. It got an absolute shedload of really great content by any measure.

That's not to say TPS couldn't have used another decent campaign add-on, but complaining it didn't have as much as BL2 is unfair.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love BL2, but it runs horribly on my machine, while TPS runs really smoothly. Dunno what the difference is.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

AirRaid posted:

That's a little bit unfair. BL2 had a STAGGERING amount of content added after release, and complaining that TPS wasn't also supported with campaign DLC for 18 months is just off. Comparing any games DLC to BL2s is unfair. It got an absolute shedload of really great content by any measure.

That's not to say TPS couldn't have used another decent campaign add-on, but complaining it didn't have as much as BL2 is unfair.

Alright then, how about comparing TPS's campaign DLC to BL1? It was less than half given how lovely the Holodome was.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

There's also the small fact that the studio that made the majority of TPS got shut down.

I'd have liked to see more content too, of course, but complaining that it is "low content" is really kind of silly when you look at a lot of other games out there.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like Borderlands 2 in general better, but I like the aerial movement and butt-stomps too much to be mad about TPS. I also like the Grinder a lot.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Huh, there are people who used the grinder?

I always kind of saw it as "Sacrifice three items you don't want to get a fourth item you don't want."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Backhand posted:

Huh, there are people who used the grinder?

I always kind of saw it as "Sacrifice three items you don't want to get a fourth item you don't want."

I always used it as "slot machine that always gives you a gun". They both have similar chances of actually barfing out an upgrade for you.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Grinding low rarity stuff was kinda pointless but saving trash blues you find and grinding them for a chance of a not-so-trash purple was a decent tactic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a way to softly descend without slamming if you're high enough to slam? (I want to say the tutorial message way back when said you tap the button instead of holding it, but that never worked for me).

Also, in certain areas you have less jetpack lift, correct? I thought maybe it was areas with an atmosphere, but you can do full jumps in Concordia.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tapping the button should work for a non slam descent. It seems to be if the key is down when you hit the ground, you'll slam, so maybe you're just a slow tapper?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

Tapping the button should work for a non slam descent. It seems to be if the key is down when you hit the ground, you'll slam, so maybe you're just a slow tapper?

Nope. Just tried it again with very short taps and from high up. Always slams.

PS4, if relevant.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After hitting the slam button, hit the jump button and it'll cancel out of the slam and go back to a normal fall. That's how it works on PC anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I figured it out: it's tied to the crouch setting. You always slam if it's set to toggle.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way for me to pull my character on someone else's PS4 by logging into my account on their console?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a way for me to pull my character on someone else's PS4 by logging into my account on their console?

If you have cloud saves, I don't see why not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I tried just logging in, and it gave me a level 1 character. Do I have to enable cloud saves somewhere first?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I would just like to say, gently caress the end game of this. I pretty much hated everything after you kill that RJ52 ship or whatever it was called, but I liked mostly everything else.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

AirRaid posted:

Also BL2's DLC was a pretty mixed bag. Some of it as great (Dragon Keep), but some of it was pretty awful (Big Game Hunt). BL2 itself is already an overlong game with a pretty miserable mid-game slog. It did a lot of things right that Pre-Sequel didn't necessarily maintain, but it didn't always manage to justify its running time.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I tried just logging in, and it gave me a level 1 character. Do I have to enable cloud saves somewhere first?

I started a new character, backed out, then it let me download my characters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also BL2's DLC was a pretty mixed bag. Some of it as great (Dragon Keep), but some of it was pretty awful (Big Game Hunt). BL2 itself is already an overlong game with a pretty miserable mid-game slog. It did a lot of things right that Pre-Sequel didn't necessarily maintain, but it didn't always manage to justify its running time.

The only one I'd say is downright awful is Big Game Hunt. Scarlet has some really nice environments and decent missions, Torgue has some great humor even if its painfully short. Dragon Keep is the best of the crop and I'm saddened that Claptrastic isn't as good.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

The only one I'd say is downright awful is Big Game Hunt. Scarlet has some really nice environments and decent missions, Torgue has some great humor even if its painfully short. Dragon Keep is the best of the crop and I'm saddened that Claptrastic isn't as good.

Agreed, Big Game Hunt was the only let-down really, the rest were all pretty good if not quite as well polished as the main game. Even the headhunter packs were pretty good for the price you paid. Son of Crawmerax especially.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Captain Scarlet also has the best designed boss in the entire franchise imo. Leviathan is pretty much the only Borderlands boss that I actually enjoy fighting, BNK3R would be higher on that list if it didn't spawn exploaders.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

What, leviathan was lame. All the buildup for a dumb wall-boss with giant glowy weakspots.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TPS actually had a few decent boss fights. At least as far as BL standards go.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I run out of ammo every time I fight Leviathan, but I really enjoyed Captain Scarlett up to that point.

Big Game Hunt could've been alright if they'd just cut down the distance between things by about 50-75% and got rid of dumb racist "savages" and "witch doctors".

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

I run out of ammo every time I fight Leviathan, but I really enjoyed Captain Scarlett up to that point.

Big Game Hunt could've been alright if they'd just cut down the distance between things by about 50-75% and got rid of dumb racist "savages" and "witch doctors".

Oh, look, a vampire witch doctor that's the same level as me on NG+! How hard could it be-WHY IS IT DRAINING MY HEALTH SO RAPIDLY?! Why is it regaining like ten times the health it's draining from me? Why is everything rolling over me so easily when they're the same level?! I've died ten times to the same enemy, and my wallet is screeching for me to shoot it. My guns are all up to date and YET these enemies are so buffed that it doesn't even matter! Did they even bother actually going through the DLC before releasing it?

That's why I hope the DLC missions in the Presequel aren't as lovely as Hammerlock's Big Clusterfuck

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BillmasterCozb posted:

That's why I hope the DLC missions in the Presequel aren't as lovely as Hammerlock's Big Clusterfuck

They're only doing the one DLC mission pack (Claptastic Voyage) for Presequel and it's decent. Not Dragon Keep good, but nowhere near as bad as Underdome or Big Game Hunt.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

AirRaid posted:

What, leviathan was lame. All the buildup for a dumb wall-boss with giant glowy weakspots.

Well, the thing that makes Leviathan so good is that you spend so little time actually fighting Leviathan. You survive increasingly intense waves of mobs which are bookended by shooting a glowing orb. The boss fight is the waves of enemies, and bunches of enemies is what's fun to fight in Borderlands games. Also by having it's health bar be split up between 5 different weak points, it feels more satisfying to destroy one than to just remove a fifth of it's health bar.

It keeps you on your toes without being bullshit and gives a lot of great visual feedback which are two things that bosses in Borderlands (actually most FPSes) almost uniformly lack.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

watho posted:

Well, the thing that makes Leviathan so good is that you spend so little time actually fighting Leviathan. You survive increasingly intense waves of mobs which are bookended by shooting a glowing orb. The boss fight is the waves of enemies, and bunches of enemies is what's fun to fight in Borderlands games. Also by having it's health bar be split up between 5 different weak points, it feels more satisfying to destroy one than to just remove a fifth of it's health bar.

It keeps you on your toes without being bullshit and gives a lot of great visual feedback which are two things that bosses in Borderlands (actually most FPSes) almost uniformly lack.

The weak points are easy to hit, unless you're rocking, say, 400 stacks of Anarchy and there's no way to get close enough to the weak spots to hit them.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Are there any TVHM-ready Aurelia saves floating around? I can do TVHM/UVHM, but can't be bother to play through three times with the same character.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's the preferred DLC progression if you have everything? I kinda dropped this game halfway through my first play and I like the gameplay but I hate being underleveled almost as much as I hate doing fedex side quests. I want to do what I did in BL2, which was hit up a DLC any time I feel underleveled. What should I be doing to level up through DLC and tell side quests gently caress off

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Presequel doesn't really have a preferred order. Claptastic voyage is scaled in a way you can jump right in after the campaign. The holodome seems to scale to your level no matter when you do it.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Anybody still play this for the 360? I'd be very grateful if someone could help me level up my lvl 18 Claptrap. Add me on Xbox Live: Jub Jub V1

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is there really no shortcut through the subconscious to the boss room? Also, I was on the third wave in this hotdog arena battle and an enemy spawned either beneath the floor or inside the floor. Great.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Anybody mind helping me get the Who You Gonna Call? achievement for the 360?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I've been skimming the thread but haven't seen any advice on Claptrap builds. So far (I'm only level 12 or so), I've been going down the left-hand skill tree, so killing dudes heals me for 35% of my health, I have a chance to get bonus explosive damage on every shot, I have a built-in explosive nova shield thing, and next level I think I can grab the skill that makes me continuously emit novas while in FFYL.

I mainly chose the tree because of the goddamned pirate ship capstone, and because I'm playing solo so the middle tree seems like it would be at least half wasted. And the right tree has too man skills with totally random stuff tied to them.

Teach me how to be annoyingly optimistic!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I've been skimming the thread but haven't seen any advice on Claptrap builds. So far (I'm only level 12 or so), I've been going down the left-hand skill tree, so killing dudes heals me for 35% of my health, I have a chance to get bonus explosive damage on every shot, I have a built-in explosive nova shield thing, and next level I think I can grab the skill that makes me continuously emit novas while in FFYL.

I mainly chose the tree because of the goddamned pirate ship capstone, and because I'm playing solo so the middle tree seems like it would be at least half wasted. And the right tree has too man skills with totally random stuff tied to them.

Teach me how to be annoyingly optimistic!

it's been a while but getting down that left hand tree is good for solo and will get you through your first playthrough. by the time you have the pirate ship you'll be near the end of the game or on your second playthrough, and i recommend doing co-op at this point because otherwise it becomes a grind

i strongly recommend co-op for claptrap, as half the fun with him is using his skills to be either crazily op or a dead weight for your friends, as well as their characters reactions to him (they all hate his guts apart from athena who barely tolerates him). plus there's a bunch of vaulthunter.exe modes that only trigger in co-op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Agreeing with LOCUST FART HELL, Claptrap is designed for co-op and really won't be that great solo. You'll be missing out on so much.... hilarity.

• Locked thread