Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
yeah. flipmode. flipmode is the greatest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ferremit posted:

Hope whatever he hooked to to that was switchmode.. cos if im not mistaken thats an AU/NZ socket and we run 220/240v....

The military exchanges (NEX/PX/BX) overseas sell third-party power supplies for laptops that take "12-400VAC 50-400Hz" for reasonable prices. There's even a model with two USB charge-only ports on the side. They're typically sold with a cord for the country you're in and a US cord, and there's usually a decent selection of other cords on the shelf nearby. But people are cheap, and if they've got the US cord and $3 worth of nail clippers, why would they shell out $20 for the cord they actually need?

When we deployed overseas, we flew over on an AN-124, and it had completely stupid plugs onboard. Since we were in the air for like fifty hours or something (not really, but it felt like it), we soldered some #12AWG solid copper wire to the plug of one of our US power strips and jammed that into the onboard stuff, then just plugged our SMPSs into that. Slightly more vibration-resistant, and we even mostly covered the exposed current-carrying parts with electrical tape. WE also made sure to not take any pictures of this massive safety violation.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The military exchanges (NEX/PX/BX) overseas sell third-party power supplies for laptops that take "12-400VAC 50-400Hz" for reasonable prices. There's even a model with two USB charge-only ports on the side. They're typically sold with a cord for the country you're in and a US cord, and there's usually a decent selection of other cords on the shelf nearby. But people are cheap, and if they've got the US cord and $3 worth of nail clippers, why would they shell out $20 for the cord they actually need?

When we deployed overseas, we flew over on an AN-124, and it had completely stupid plugs onboard. Since we were in the air for like fifty hours or something (not really, but it felt like it), we soldered some #12AWG solid copper wire to the plug of one of our US power strips and jammed that into the onboard stuff, then just plugged our SMPSs into that. Slightly more vibration-resistant, and we even mostly covered the exposed current-carrying parts with electrical tape. WE also made sure to not take any pictures of this massive safety violation.

I wouldn't wanna hotwire poo poo into a Russian bird for any loving reason :stonk:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I was at Charleston AFB (on the USAF ramp, it's a dual-use facility) rescuing a broke-dick DC-10, and I took a quick walk over to the An-124 that was parked next to us, to say hi to the Russian mechanics...

ALL the tires were bald. On our DC-10s, we had to replace a tire anytime it was flat spotted, showing any cord at all, or had any spot with less than 3/32nds of tread remaining. The tires on the Antonov were BALD. They were all showing cord, several around the entire circumference of the tire. The mechanics had two main wheel/tire assemblies off the aircraft, and had removed a brake...

Large aircraft brakes are multiple-disc units, with friction material in between each disc, and multiple hydraulic pistons to apply braking pressure. They're treated as unserviceable wear items, IE, the brake is worn, you take it off, put a new (overhauled) brake on, and send the old one back to the overhaul shop. Same thing with tires. We don't mount/unmount tires, we simply swap the whole wheel.

...Back to the drunks Russians: They had torn the removed brake down on the ramp, and were replacing o-rings and packings in the hydraulic pistons. There was a stack of discs, a separate stack of worn out friction pads, and a few boxes of presumably new friction pads. Paper o-ring packaging was blowing all the gently caress over, and they had spilled so much hydraulic fluid, I'm surprised it didn't become a loving superfund site.

I didn't even know what to say. They were all friendly enough, and we traded some booze between us, but holy loving poo poo. Volga-Dnepr must be paying ENORMOUS bribes somewhere for them to not get inspected and shut the gently caress down. I wish I had pictures. The Air Force must've had to use a bulldozer to push all the kitty litter around to clean that parking spot up, afterwards.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Does hydraulic fluid eat holes in asphalt like diesel?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

froward posted:

Does hydraulic fluid eat holes in asphalt like diesel?

It can, but most runways are all stupid-high PSI concrete, with less-stupid-high PSI concrete used for aprons and taxiways. It's not until you start to get to really regional airports that you see asphalt as a common item.

Depending on the fluid, it'll eat holes in people, asphalt and most kinds of vegetation. Some of the specialty purpose aircraft grade fluids are loving awful poo poo. Great at what they do, but gently caress me I want nothing to do with them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wasabi the J posted:

I wouldn't wanna hotwire poo poo into a Russian bird for any loving reason :stonk:

If you're already on an Antonov the added risk of you loving with the electrical system is minor compared to being on an Antonov.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Depending on the fluid, it'll eat holes in people, asphalt and most kinds of vegetation. Some of the specialty purpose aircraft grade fluids are loving awful poo poo. Great at what they do, but gently caress me I want nothing to do with them.

Mil-5606 is the red stuff most people are familiar with as hydraulic fluid. It's unpleasant, but not particularly bad.

Most large aircraft use one form of Skydrol or another, which is a phosphate-ester fluid, instead of a mineral oil like Mil-5606. It's non-flammable, and light for its volume, with reasonably high max operating temperatures. It's also non-toxic, and it's not known to cause cancer, or any other long term health problems. It's loving magical.

All that said, it's incredibly unpleasant to work with. It's extremely hygroscopic, which means if you get it on you, it dries your skin out and causes really extreme itchiness. If you're sweating heavily (Miami in the summer,) the water on your skin will thin out the Skydrol you get on your arms and hands, and spread it evenly across your body, to make sure that every inch of your body is equally uncomfortable, and give you extra special suprises if you forget, and rub your brow with your forearm. Speaking of which; If you get it in your eyes, you literally scream until someone helps you splash castor oil or milk into your eyes to flush it out, and water just makes it worse.

It also likes to mist when squeezed through a small hole under pressure (every hydraulic leak, ever.) Which means you get to breathe it, which is as uncomfortable as you'd imagine. Accidental (or intentional, don't leave your coffee mug around,) ingestion causes extreme bowel irritation, and immediate, violent diarrhea.

It also smells funny.

It strips paint almost instantly, eats plastic like a starving man at a buffet, and Christ loving help you if you forget to wash your hands before you go take a leak.

:science: :flaccid:

bezel
Oct 19, 2009

chomp chomp chomp
treeceptacle.jpg

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

bezel posted:

treeceptacle.jpg

Environmentally friendly power

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Its a power plant.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

bezel posted:

treeceptacle.jpg

I've seen one of these get struck by lightning and it was every bit the spectacle you'd expect.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

killhamster posted:

I've seen one of these get struck by lightning and it was every bit the spectacle you'd expect.

how many of these can possibly exist

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

More common than you think. Someone puts an outlet near a tree, or a tree near an outlet, without the foresight to predict that trees do indeed grow.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

killhamster posted:

An ash tree, right?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

canyoneer posted:

An ash tree, right?

It is now.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MrYenko posted:

It also smells funny.

It strips paint almost instantly, eats plastic like a starving man at a buffet, and Christ loving help you if you forget to wash your hands before you go take a leak.

:science: :flaccid:

Skydrol is one of them, there are a few monopropellants used for arms that are particularly delightful, like nitrous oxide and loving hydrazine, and whatever witches brew they used to get the start-carts running in the 60s. It would apparently preferentially suck every single bit of moisture out of your hands. Baby soft to old-man leather hands in like 2 minutes flat.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

I wish I had taken a picture but in my astonishment I plum forgot. We just closed on a triplex and while prepping the walls of one of the units to paint I was sanding down a really lovely texture spray job when I pushed pretty much the whole area into the wall.

Turns out they jammed a bunch of newspaper in there and then layered spackle on top of that until it was evenish enough to spray with some texture and called it done.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
There was a whole wall in my parents house that was made of old T shirts and spackle.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I feel like I'm not alone!

A house I bought last year had sweat pants jammed around a window as weather stripping and the "insulation" under the veranda was nothing more than 80 green garbage bags packed full of crumpled up news papers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats pretty decent for insulation. Traps air, windproof.

Not so much for fire resistance though.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I suppose I should have mentioned that the veranda was completely enclosed to the ground with stucco around the entire base, so there wasn't any air movement anyway. It was really just a trash pile I had to deal with.

The real problem he had was huge air leaks at the top of the foundation wall. When I pulled up the sub floor, and looked between the floor joists, I could see outside. Also, he was missing a basement window and replaced it with a 7/16" sheet of OSB. Not to mention the fact that the sawdust insulation in 80% of the wall space on the first floor had all just disappeared in the 100 years since the house was built.

This is in Winnipeg, where temperatures will settle below -30C (-22F) for days at a time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's like the ship of Theseus except with garbage.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Garbage and bees. A hive moved in under the veranda and they stung me repeatedly as I furthered the cause of colony collapse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its the Ship of Beesius.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Antifreeze Head posted:

the "insulation" under the veranda was nothing more than 80 green garbage bags packed full of crumpled up news papers.

That's actually used for modern insulation. Look up what "cellulose insulation" is made from.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

That's actually used for modern insulation. Look up what "cellulose insulation" is made from.

Cellulose?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aka paper but quite a bit reconstituted

SynthOrange posted:

Its the Ship of Beesius.

God DAMMIT

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Clickhole did a relevant article. :v:

7 Party-Saving Tricks To Keep The Fun Going After Your Deck’s Collapsed

"Your deck may have collapsed, but act quickly and you can still save this thing. Here are seven genius hacks guaranteed to get your party humming again."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kazy posted:

Clickhole did a relevant article. :v:

7 Party-Saving Tricks To Keep The Fun Going After Your Deck’s Collapsed

"Your deck may have collapsed, but act quickly and you can still save this thing. Here are seven genius hacks guaranteed to get your party humming again."

Hahahaha

quote:

“Uh, sorry, what deck collapse were you talking about? I was too busy getting BEER out of a WATERMELON.”

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

Garbage and bees. A hive moved in under the veranda and they stung me repeatedly as I furthered the cause of colony collapse.

:(

For future reference, beekeepers will often remove a colony for free (because wild colonies can be assumed to have good survivor genes and are therefore highly desirable). If not free, at least pretty cheap. Your local animal control number will usually be able to put you in touch with the local beekeepers, who often have a waitlist of beeks eager to come collect your bees. Ideally your swarming bees, but your hive in the crawlspace works too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sadly nobody ever seems to want a shitload of paper wasps.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

hailthefish posted:

Sadly nobody ever seems to want a shitload of paper wasps.

gently caress paper wasps. They're not endangered and they can die in a fire (literally).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Kazy posted:

Clickhole did a relevant article. :v
'use frozen water balloons as ice packs'

"Got a yard full of bloodied, barely conscious partygoers? This clever trick will impress everyone and keep the swelling down for people who broke bones in the deck collapse. Leave the dead in the rubble. They’re gone."

e: I can't wait to see what kind of poo poo clickbait articles say five years from now!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

e: I can't wait to see what kind of poo poo clickbait articles say five years from now!
You know clickhole is a parody, right?

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Why do this

Never again will I buy before doing a demo because this makes no goddamn sense

Frequent Handies fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 1, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3,120px × 4,160px
A poorly constructed post

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

pac man frogs posted:

Why do this

Never again will I buy before doing a demo because this makes no goddamn sense

Jesus gently caress, I don;t know what it is, but it is big

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna print out that post and use it to re-tile my shower stall. I expect I'll have some left over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Sorry, default mobile insert image isn't timg fixed it