Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The otters didn't show up during my stakeout of their path into Klopp Lake this evening, but I ended up getting an even bigger treat. One of the juvenile Green Herons flew in for a fishing session right in front of me. This is the first time I've been able to capture one on video. It managed to catch a fish, but then dropped it while trying to toss it back toward its esophagus. Sadly, I left my second memory card in the reader on my desk, so I only had room for a few clips of it after an evening of shooting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgwZGTFwuU8

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Holy poo poo. A Crested Caracara just turned up in Jasper (Alberta, Canada)! Pretty far off course for a bird with a range at the southern end of the US. 9 hour drive incoming...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Holy poo poo. A Crested Caracara just turned up in Jasper (Alberta, Canada)! Pretty far off course for a bird with a range at the southern end of the US. 9 hour drive incoming...

There's speculation that it might be the one that had been hanging around Skykomish, WA for the past month or so (it disappeared recently).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kenshin posted:

There's speculation that it might be the one that had been hanging around Skykomish, WA for the past month or so (it disappeared recently).

It's definitely not. The Alberta bird is a first year and the Washington bird was an adult.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

How do you carry all of this? Do you have a mule?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

How do you carry all of this? Do you have a mule?
I usually have everything balanced in two bags - the camera rig on one side and the tripod/blind/water bottle on the other. For this setup, I tied a shoulder strap to the second tripod and slung it across my back before shouldering the other two bags.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Found an eagle last night

Bald Eagle by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice eagles. The light on the second one is glorious.

I went to the Fay Slough Wildlife Area this evening. There are tons of kites and harriers there.

juvi-kite-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

harrier-swoop-up by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The male Northern Harrier was pissed off at everything. It was getting in fights with a female, it chased off a Great Blue Heron and it even swooped at me a few times. They sound like chipmunks when they're mad.

harrier-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

harrier-scuffle by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A rare unobstructed view of one of Arcata Marsh's bitterns:

bittern-pennywort by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Now that the shorebirds are returning to Humboldt Bay, Peregrine Falcons are starting to appear again.

peregrine-flyover by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How much do you dudes spend on lenses to get such awesome shots?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How much do you dudes spend on lenses to get such awesome shots?

:cry:

But the new 150-600s are really reasonable.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

wtf is going on, there's reports of the one in Jasper still being there yesterday and now there's one on Vancouver Island

http://bcbirdalert.blogspot.ca/2015/07/crested-caracara-in-nanaimo-area.html

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

wtf is going on, there's reports of the one in Jasper still being there yesterday and now there's one on Vancouver Island

Maybe the wildfire smoke is getting the birds high or something. I didn't get a chance to see the one in Jasper yet and apparently it's only sticking around because a grizzly has a big kill in the area. I hope it's still there this weekend.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Could caracaras have had several population boom years in a row, and combined with climate change, have a number of individuals heading much further north than usual?

The fact that we're seeing several of them spread out across the continent implies there are likely many, many more in areas where there's nobody to spot them.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

neckbeard posted:

drat it, I guess I missed this, oh well.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Could caracaras have had several population boom years in a row, and combined with climate change, have a number of individuals heading much further north than usual?

The fact that we're seeing several of them spread out across the continent implies there are likely many, many more in areas where there's nobody to spot them.

It's possible, but I wouldn't read too much into just 2 or 3 sightings. Although Audubon does forecast them as climate-threatened, with major changes to winter and summer range.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Oi, so much great stuff in this thread lately!

Moon Potato posted:

This was my kit for a gig filming a rookery on Saturday (extra batteries and carrying cases not pictured).

:stonklol: Just looking at that makes my back sore. You sir deserve a medal.

InternetJunky posted:

I've been trying to get out and shoot some birds, but every chance I get I've been out hiking instead. I tried to take some of my gear with me into the mountains this past weekend and I can barely walk right now. It's ridiculous how much an extra 25 pounds in the backpack can affect you. I made it to the top of a mountain and was so tired I didn't even setup and try to shoot anything even though there were some awesome birds up there.

This describes us to a tee lately. During the winter, my fiancee would happily let me go out for hours at a time to sit in the snow taking photos, not wanting any part of it. Now that it's gloriously beautiful outside, we're doing a lot more hiking instead. I tried to lug my gear along on a 46er hike once and just about collapsed in exhaustion - I think my SO was half-worried she would literally have to carry me back :v: I don't even take my smaller mirrorless anymore, just not worth the extra weight when a cell phone will do just fine for "I made it to the top!" photos.

All I've done lately is (attempt) to photograph tree swallows nesting in my backyard. Those little bastard are stupidly acrobatic, we'll see if any of the photos turn out.

In other news, if anyone is looking for a new lens, I'm selling off my Canon 400mm f/5.6 (and my 7d)

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

polyfractal posted:

This describes us to a tee lately. During the winter, my fiancee would happily let me go out for hours at a time to sit in the snow taking photos, not wanting any part of it. Now that it's gloriously beautiful outside, we're doing a lot more hiking instead. I tried to lug my gear along on a 46er hike once and just about collapsed in exhaustion - I think my SO was half-worried she would literally have to carry me back :v: I don't even take my smaller mirrorless anymore, just not worth the extra weight when a cell phone will do just fine for "I made it to the top!" photos.

All I've done lately is (attempt) to photograph tree swallows nesting in my backyard. Those little bastard are stupidly acrobatic, we'll see if any of the photos turn out.

7d)[/url]

Ha, same here. I'm going out to Kanaskis (just south of Banff) this week to do some trail running and as much as I'd love to have my 150-600, I think I'm just going to take my little Cannon S95 when I go

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
You guys just need to get lighter hiking gear so you can bring heavier /more camera gear, that is my strategy anyways.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Hey guys, just thought I would join in on the bird sharing!

Puffing up by Jenseales, on Flickr

Puffin' Up by Jenseales, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This is fantastic!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

When you guys mention the 150-600, do you mean the Tamron Vi DC USD with that zoom range?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

When you guys mention the 150-600, do you mean the Tamron Vi DC USD with that zoom range?

Yes and the competing sigma I think.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of us have either of the Sigmas yet.

I've been thinking of picking the Contemporary model up since my Tamron has occasionally been misbehaving losing the ability to run its focus motor, requiring a "reboot" of the lens (disconnect it from camera, reconnect). Figure I can buy the Sigma and then send the Tamron in for repair/replacement, then figure out which lens I want to keep and sell the other.

I'll probably do that if the Tamron acts up again.

vvvv Sure, and yes, it's an F-mount vvvv

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 29, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of us have either of the Sigmas yet.

I've been thinking of picking the Contemporary model up since my Tamron has occasionally been misbehaving losing the ability to run its focus motor, requiring a "reboot" of the lens (disconnect it from camera, reconnect). Figure I can buy the Sigma and then send the Tamron in for repair/replacement, then figure out which lens I want to keep and sell the other.

I'll probably do that if the Tamron acts up again.

PM me when you want to sell that (if it's F mount).

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Kenshin posted:

You should post those in the bird photography thread because those are goddamn beautiful. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171184

Sibling 1

Sibling 2

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
^ Love them!

Lorikeet by Jenseales, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Leviathor posted:

Sibling 1

Sibling 2
Great shots. Are those young Cooper's Hawks?

A Great Blue Heron and some birdsplosions from my recent wanderings:

gbh-preening by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

seabirdsplosion1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

shorebirdsplosion by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

sandpiper-landing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Leviathor posted:

Sibling 1

Sibling 2

These are really great. I forget how brutal birds of prey are when it's dinner time.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Moon Potato posted:

Great shots. Are those young Cooper's Hawks?

I thought they were broad-winged hawks. The chest and tail plumage is quite similar to a Cooper's hawk, though--maybe someone else would know better?

The "songs" I've heard from them are only screeches, too. There's none of the 'laughing squawks' of the Cooper's.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Finally made it back out to Nisqually NWR after a few weeks of not going birding at all. Glad I did, because I saw a few things I've never seen before.

Long-billed curlew, a rather rare vistor this far north

Virginia rail

sora

and two common residents:

red-winged blackbird

American goldfinch

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Long-billed curlew, a rather rare vistor this far north

Are you 100% on that? Looks a lot like a Whimbrel, which is pretty cool still. They are gonna be a lot more common up there right now too.

e:

Leviathor posted:

Sibling 1

Sibling 2

I think these are Cooper's hawks.

fridgraidr fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 2, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

fridgraidr posted:

Are you 100% on that? Looks a lot like a Whimbrel, which is pretty cool still. They are gonna be a lot more common up there right now too.

e:

I think these are Cooper's hawks

It confused the birders who found it a few days ago at first. They initially reported it as a Whimbrel before getting better looks. I think it's a juvenile based on the shorter bill.

And Curlews breed into British Columbia, but they breed east of the Cascades. They prefer to hang out on the coast one they're done breeding and Puget Sound sightings are rare, unfortunately. Nice Rail shots!

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011
It's a tough call for me, but I was going by the dark head. The light makes it hard, but it seems like it's sporting some color up top, and curlews don't have that typically.

e: nevermind, that's wrong apparently. Cool spot! and I like the rail and sora shots. Those are not easy birds to find.

fridgraidr fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 2, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went to a local conservatory near Vancouver today. Didn't see a ton of anything super interesting but it was a great walk and good practice shooting. I'm not sure on the species of the shorebird and the ?sparrows if anyone wants to chime in but I'm sure they're not very rare. There were thousands of geese/ducks all over the place.

GR Bird Sanctuary (6 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

GR Bird Sanctuary (5 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

GR Bird Sanctuary (4 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

GR Bird Sanctuary (1 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Bonus non-bird proboscis shot:
Pro-Boscis by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The first two are House Sparrows. Very common species that was introduced from Europe and has prospered here. Ironically they are on the decline in Europe, apparently.

The shorebird is a Yellowlegs. It looks like a Greater Yellowlegs to me based on the bill length and upturned appearance as well as apparent size, but I couldn't completely rule out Lesser Yellowlegs.

The duck is a female Mallard.

Reifel is great, but more so in the winter. July is crappy for most birds. Shorebirds are about the only thing moving.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
House sparrows are the worst. They are very aggressive and will try to suppress any competition in their area, break eggs, murder nestlings, etc. Studies are finding that they become more aggressive when there is an abundance of food, likely because they are trying to protect it from competition.

We had two nest boxes which were inhabited this year by a bluebird family and a tree swallow family. If it wasn't for the tree swallow's fighting off the house sparrows, they absolutely would have ousted the less aggressive bluebirds.

It was pretty cool watching the swallows call in reinforcements though. Sparrows would start closing in on the swallow nest, the swallow parents would fly out and start twittering and dive-bombing. Then a flock of tree swallows (and sometimes barn swallows too) would arrive from the surrounding area and harass the sparrows until they left. In contrast, the bluebirds would put up a half-hearted fight and then perch on a nearby post just watching the sparrows. Luckily the two nestboxes were close enough that the bluebirds were basically protected by the swallows.

Tl;dr: House sparrows are terrible, invasive species who will attempt to murder any bird of similar size.

Edit: your photos are great though! Sorry for the rant, they've just been making me very angry this summer :)

polyfractal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 3, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It confused the birders who found it a few days ago at first. They initially reported it as a Whimbrel before getting better looks. I think it's a juvenile based on the shorter bill.

And Curlews breed into British Columbia, but they breed east of the Cascades. They prefer to hang out on the coast one they're done breeding and Puget Sound sightings are rare, unfortunately. Nice Rail shots!
The coloration and the thickness/curvature of the bill make make me think it's a Long-billed Curlew. I guess I never really get to see Whimbrels in breeding plumage, but when they pass through my area they're flat grey and their bill is a bit more robust with a sharper downward curve than the Long-billed Curlews. The tawny coloration with dark flecks in that picture, very similar to the Marbled Godwit, looks spot on for a Long-billed Curlew.

Humboldt County is blanketed in haze and the occasional shower of ash from the wildfires inland right now, so I haven't been out with the camera in the past several days. I did get a piece of good news today, though - one of my entries to Cornell's NestWatch photography competition got an honorable mention award.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's for sure a long-billed curlew, there's several different sighting confirmations from various distances to the bird on the local birding email list. :)

Moon Potato, that's a great photo. Congrats on the recognition. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Okay I cheated because these were taken at a zoo, but I am not sure what they are. Well, I know they're birds...

Hitchcock by Jenseales, on Flickr

A Bird by Jenseales, on Flickr