Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

He'll change his tune once he sees my unbreakable adamantium claws which slice through anything like paper.

Ah'm invulnerable while ah'm blastin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

By the holy rood!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was "Only my ruby-quartz visor can contain my optic blasts!" one of Claremont's or was that used in the Silver Age too? Because it sounds like it should be a Claremontism.

I think there's definitely a point in Claremont's X-Men run (maybe around about the Brood Saga) where he discovered what Alan Moore and Alan Davis had been doing with Captain Britain, and his writing style subtly changes to reflect how that influenced him. I can't cite any specific examples but it's a feeling I get reading some of those comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Reported for low effort posting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bozhe moi!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you read too much X-Men, Claremontisms will own you body and soul.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

If you read too much X-Men, Claremontisms will own you body and soul, now and forever.

Fixed that for you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, he IS the best there is at what he does, and what he does... isn't very nice.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

Well, he IS the best there is at what he does, and what he does... isn't very nice.

Pretty sure that wasn't Claremont :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

If you read too much X-Men, Claremontisms will own you body and soul.
No quarter will be asked, and none given.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Pretty sure that wasn't Claremont :v:

You sure? First citation I could find is UXM #162. Written by Chris Claremont.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No quarter will be asked, and none given.

Isn't that Furman?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaz-L posted:

Bozhe moi!
I wanted to do bozhe moi, Liebchen!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

Isn't that Furman?

What are you playing at, trying to start more quotations? Time I made a stand. These repeated lines are giving me the worst case of indigestion I've ever had, a short, sharp lesson in a whole world of pain. Starting now, it's over, finished!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WickedHate posted:

What are you playing at, trying to start more quotations? Time I made a stand. These repeated lines are giving me the worst case of indigestion I've ever had, a short, sharp lesson in a whole world of pain. Starting now, it's over, finished!

I'm pretty sure this is surplus to requirements.

It was not my intent!! That was a serious question.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Isn't that Furman?

He may have used it as well, but it's Claremont as hell.

Here's some randomd blog to back me up, toveritch! http://stason.org/TULARC/art/comics-xbooks/68-What-s-a-Claremontism.html#.VbrxdRGzGUU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

I'm pretty sure this is surplus to requirements.

It never ends. :sigh:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Time to reap the whirlwind!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Better to fight and die than live with the knowledge that you ran.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe it's because I originally read the Claremont X-men in Finnish, objectively a better and more succinct language altogether, but Claremont never struck me as wordy. (Then again I started with Lee and Thomas so :shrug:)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're working with stuff that's been translated. Looking back at his stuff now it's really odd.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Now Alan Moore's later stuff is another matter entirely. He really likes the sound of his own droning senile Tolkien syndrome-addled voice.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Gaz-L posted:

Bozhe moi!
Unglaublich!

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Jerry Cotton posted:

Now Alan Moore's later stuff is another matter entirely. He really likes the sound of his own droning senile Tolkien syndrome-addled voice.

Oh, man. Promethea is a tough challenge to get through.

But it's in his early stuff too, though not all of it. One day I binge-read a bunch of his Swamp Thing issues, ended up burning out on the entire English language for two or three days afterward.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cyphoderus posted:

Oh, man. Promethea is a tough challenge to get through.

But it's in his early stuff too, though not all of it. One day I binge-read a bunch of his Swamp Thing issues, ended up burning out on the entire English language for two or three days afterward.

Speaking of Swamp Thing, here's an actual question: is any of the later Swamp Thing worth reading? I'm mostly concerned about not needing to know a lot about thingsanything that happened in other titles since I've never read that much DC stuff than quality.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of Swamp Thing, here's an actual question: is any of the later Swamp Thing worth reading? I'm mostly concerned about not needing to know a lot about thingsanything that happened in other titles since I've never read that much DC stuff than quality.

I don't know how "later" you mean, but the New 52 Swamp Thing was pretty darned good. (I stopped reading it after a few years, but I've been doing a general reduction in all my reading.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

prefect posted:

I don't know how "later" you mean, but the New 52 Swamp Thing was pretty darned good. (I stopped reading it after a few years, but I've been doing a general reduction in all my reading.)

Later than Moore.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

You sure? First citation I could find is UXM #162. Written by Chris Claremont.

I thought it was first used in Wolverine's mini series, which according to Google that IS Claremont. I thought it was written by Miller but apparently he just did the art.

So I'm wrong regardless of the issue.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was "Only my ruby-quartz visor can contain my optic blasts!" one of Claremont's or was that used in the Silver Age too? Because it sounds like it should be a Claremontism.

I don't recall when they started calling it "ruby-quartz", but I'm pretty sure citing the visor as the only thing that can hold back his optic blasts goes all the way back to Lee & Kirby. Thomas certainly milked it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've always wondered, is there like a continuous optic blast going across the gap between his eyeballs and the visor?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I've always wondered, is there like a continuous optic blast going across the gap between his eyeballs and the visor?

I've always thought so. Which makes me wonder, when he's wearing glasses instead of his visor, what if a fly got in between his eyes and the glasses? Would it be blasted away, taking the ruby-quartz glasses along with it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The inside of Cyclops' visor actually contains portals that return his optic blast energy to the Eyebeam dimension.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I always wished Marvel Zombies had featured more classic zombies so we could have has a visor-less Cyclops shambling about slowing starving to death because his eye beams destroyed anyone close enough he could have eaten.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is it still the case that Cyke's Optic blast servo is constantly in the ON position? I seem to recall that it was caused by a head injury he got as a kid, so he couldn't control it, but Jean Grey at least once fixed it temporarily so he could open his eyes without the need for glasses.

Also, while we're on the subject of arguably the worst X-man, since his visor and glasses are ruby colored does that mean that he is constantly viewing the world through a dark red filter? Like it's always a darkroom wherever he goes?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CzarChasm posted:

Is it still the case that Cyke's Optic blast servo is constantly in the ON position? I seem to recall that it was caused by a head injury he got as a kid, so he couldn't control it, but Jean Grey at least once fixed it temporarily so he could open his eyes without the need for glasses.

Also, while we're on the subject of arguably the worst X-man, since his visor and glasses are ruby colored does that mean that he is constantly viewing the world through a dark red filter? Like it's always a darkroom wherever he goes?
He got them under control for a bit at the back end of Whedon's Astonishing run, but that was with Emma constantly feeding him perfect control of himself and the strain was still exhausting. Otherwise, yes, they're always on and always blastng, and he always sees the world through a dark red filter. This might have something to do with why he tends to date telepaths.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Jean also once looked into his eyes on top of a butte outside of Warren's mansion. She held back the blasts with her telekinetic powers, so they could look into each other's eyes. Then they had a totally romantic moment that was awkward years later when Scott brought it up to Jean but it was actually the phoenix that did that.

Just thought I'd mention that since you brought up Jean, and maybe you were thinking of that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Fallen Rib
And have a thing for red heads (at least until Emma came along).

As for Moore' there is still one issue of Swamp Thing that I have never read because it just felt like such a chore to get through all the wordiness. That being said, he is nowhere as annoying as Claremont who constantly gives exposition and wordiness to things that are clearly shown on the page.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma looks like a redhead to him too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For some reason I thought the weird physics of his powers plus the visor made everything look yellow, but I might be thinking of dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Fritzler posted:

Just thought I'd mention that since you brought up Jean, and maybe you were thinking of that.

I thought you were mentioning it to make a "butte sex" joke, but somehow held back. You have more will power than I.