Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

Anon: you are a little girl in a pink shirt who kept looking at me as I checked in at the kiosk and who was later on my flight. I tried to explain to you I was running late and that's why I was so frazzled but you wouldn't listen.

100Yrs: you are the french couple (no joke) that gave me an eyeroll and muttered something

My partner can't stand French tourists abroad. She thinks they're as bad as the cliché American tourist. When she last traveled to the States she got grounded in Philly due to a blizzard and couldn't reach us in NYC. Most of the people on the flight were French and they immediately just got incredibly upset with everyone and everything around them. The other travelers were pretty happy to have arrived somewhere and were fine getting help from the airline staff. I eventually managed to contact her airline and since I had her passport number I got her on the last flight to NYC free of charge since it was handled by the airline. She later told me that most of the other French angrily left the terminal (at around midnight) and were all supposedly headed to the train station instead. By doing so they forfeited free help from the airline.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

EXAKT Science posted:

also busb I just realized that you have a ridiculous dangling modifier in the post we all quoted. In context, it's very funny.

You are the inability to recognise the medium you are writing in. You trot along going "ooh look at that split infinitive what a moooron" before you realise you were actually posting about your sadbrains on tumblr instead of a paper on how to successfully completed and slavery by calling people meanies.

Both were bad ideas fyi

Friday nights own BTW.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nothing like when one of your reading telling you that you'll probably be washed up at 30

gently caress you won't do what you tell me

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

bowmore posted:

nothing like when one of your reading telling you that you'll probably be washed up at 30

gently caress you won't do what you tell me

Burning out feels pretty good as long as you remain thoughtful about it and can keep your focus enough to land comfortably.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
This image is making the news rounds this week:

Idk if it's accurate for everyone but as a Midlander I think it's pretty good.

The Midlands are supposed to be politically moderate, which sounded crazy to me until I realized western Kansas is in the far west, as it is far, FAR more conservative.

Here's the article if anybody's interested.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Oof. Actually, reading some of these I think this author is thinking more of these regions circa 1870. It sounds poetic but some of these regional descriptions are hooey.

Edit: I get that it's supposed to be a history of these regions, but since the invention of television I don't think certain states are more or less skeptical of the government than others. anyone can be anything now.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

Oof. Actually, reading some of these I think this author is thinking more of these regions circa 1870. It sounds poetic but some of these regional descriptions are hooey.

Edit: I get that it's supposed to be a history of these regions, but since the invention of television I don't think certain states are more or less skeptical of the government than others. anyone can be anything now.

For example, I am a motorcycle.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

For example, I am a motorcycle.

No, you're a train.

Choo Choo Keane.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

No, you're a train.

Choo Choo Keane.

Mind loving blown.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The canada bit seems a little tacked on and lacking our regional nuances, but yeah it looks fairly accurate.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The canada bit seems a little tacked on and lacking our regional nuances, but yeah it looks fairly accurate.

Looks fine to me. :quebec:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Left Coast Best Coast

Also Ecco you should get the iPhone 6+ it is delightfully huge and takes real good photo

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Left Coast Best Coast

Also Ecco you should get the iPhone 6+ it is delightfully huge and takes real good photo

does the size of the screen really mean anything? like this is a question for all 6-inch phones: does having a screen that physically large really give you anything extra other than the obvious? Like I was super psyched for bigger phones until I realized how unwieldy a 5-inch phone was, I can't even imagine getting used to a bigger one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Looks fine to me. :quebec:

In the sense that Quebec is literally New France right? But how similar is Quebec to New Orleans? I know at least historically there has been a significant streak of social conservatism and I probably wouldn't characterize Quebec as comfortable with federal involvement.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I don't think that the deep south is portrayed correctly, the northern part of georgia, alabama, mississipi, and south carolina shouldn't be greater appalachia.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I think any cultural division of the US beyond Urban/Suburban/Rural is increasingly a stretch.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

happy birthday little mac~

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

BottleKnight posted:

does the size of the screen really mean anything? like this is a question for all 6-inch phones: does having a screen that physically large really give you anything extra other than the obvious? Like I was super psyched for bigger phones until I realized how unwieldy a 5-inch phone was, I can't even imagine getting used to a bigger one.

I can watch tv/movies on my phone and its actually a decent size to be able to enjoy it.

I love the big screen, idk why.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Tremendous Taste posted:

happy birthday little mac~

:toot:

Happy birthday little Italian man!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Happy bday lil mac.

you have my permission to eat a bursday cake.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm very happy with my 5s :greenangel:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm very happy with my 5s :greenangel:

Please don't say anything that might make Ecco buy an Android, he doesn't deserve that.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Please don't say anything that might make Ecco buy an Android, he doesn't deserve that.

everyone deserves a phone that isn't lovely.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am part of the Spanish Caribbean

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

You don't think specific areas have built up their own cultures? And that people from one area might think and behave differently from someone in another area based off of where they grew up?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

You don't think specific areas have built up their own cultures? And that people from one area might think and behave differently from someone in another area based off of where they grew up?

what does behave differently mean? I believe different places have different customs, and that's probably about it nowadays.

I actually agree with DuckHuntDog, it's more urban vs. rural than anything else.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

This image is making the news rounds this week:

Idk if it's accurate for everyone but as a Midlander I think it's pretty good.

The Midlands are supposed to be politically moderate, which sounded crazy to me until I realized western Kansas is in the far west, as it is far, FAR more conservative.

Here's the article if anybody's interested.

As someone born and raised 6 miles outside of Philly, gonna have to say southern NJ is far more like the New Amsterdam thing than the Midland thing. Very liberal, great schools, very tolerant, completely focused on career and finances, etc

Well, at least, Camden, Burlington, and Gloucester counties. Vineland and the shore are probably tidewater.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Little birthday, happy Mac

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

As someone born and raised 6 miles outside of Philly, gonna have to say southern NJ is far more like the New Amsterdam thing than the Midland thing. Very liberal, great schools, very tolerant, completely focused on career and finances, etc

Well, at least, Camden, Burlington, and Gloucester counties. Vineland and the shore are probably tidewater.

The thing that really surprised me was there not being an LA-to-Dallas strip, covering Phoenix and the like. I don't know how I'd describe it but those places just seem very similar to me. Big highways, hot temperature, mixing of several different cultures. Cowboy consumerists or something like that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the increasing ease of information distribution through the internet is homogenizing culture a bit in the newer generations. Not that people aren't going to be different, just less region based. Of course your location has a big impact

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Did you spend most of your days on the playground? Were you chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool? Maybe shootin' some B-ball outside of the school? Did your mom get scared when a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in your neighborhood?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Did you spend most of your days on the playground? Were you chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool? Maybe shootin' some B-ball outside of the school? Did your mom get scared when a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in your neighborhood?

Diqnol is a stale count.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

Diqnol is a stale count.

Are you sure he isn't an expired earl?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Diqnol is a stale count.

Please insult me in easily google-able ways.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EccoRaven posted:

I'm with bottleknight, I don't watch tv or movies on my phone (that's what televisions are for, right?), so the big screen trend just seems unnecessary and unwieldy.

Plus it's me, I'm probably gonna get a recycled last generation phone anyway.

I switched from my Galaxy S3 to the Fire Phone, which I like less but w/e it's unlocked and doesn't have the word VERIZON plastered on it

Anyway if you want it I'll sell it to ya for fifty bux or we can work out a barter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip