Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Kenzie posted:

Well it appears that I have been defeated by Chump Farts in Commander: The Great War. I could not get the damned Allied war machine going strong enough before the end of 1918.

I was confused about when it would end though. At the bottom of the screen it said there were 60 turns, and the game was nowhere near that point when it ended.

That was a fun game nonetheless. I managed to encircle and pocket the bulk of the Ottoman army in Palestine, and I launched a failed Gallipoli Part Two. I suppose if I wanted to win though, I should have ignored the Ottomans entirely.

Good game nonetheless. I was really excited to see if you would pour through Constantinople and into Austria before I could take Paris.

The old scenario was only 21 or so turns, so weird it displayed 60. Though it was a new patch improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
In CMANO I've been playing around with the mission editor to try to create an ASuS strike package to work without me babysitting the planes. Everything goes pretty smoothly except the planes launch all their ordinance onto the closest ship in the target list in range. So a destroyer eats like 30 Harpoons and is super dead, but the rest of the fleet is untouched. Is there an option I am missing somewhere that would spread the missiles around to every target as needed?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can you guys recommend me any Age of Sail/Napoleonic era naval games? Preferably newer or more recent releases.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Goetta posted:

In CMANO I've been playing around with the mission editor to try to create an ASuS strike package to work without me babysitting the planes. Everything goes pretty smoothly except the planes launch all their ordinance onto the closest ship in the target list in range. So a destroyer eats like 30 Harpoons and is super dead, but the rest of the fleet is untouched. Is there an option I am missing somewhere that would spread the missiles around to every target as needed?

You can tune weapons release authorisation. This page goes into detail: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=3598

"For instance, a less powerful weapon may be configured to use twice as many weapons, where as high-performance weapons like the AS-4 Kitchen or SS-N-19 Shipwreck are configured to use 1/4th the ‘Missile Defence’ value. In other words, a ship that is estimated to take 16x Harpoon missiles to sink will only have 4x AS-4s fired at it"

That should stagger the shots somewhat, but generally they try to guarantee a 'kill' as opposed to a 'grievous wounding'.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Popete posted:

Can you guys recommend me any Age of Sail/Napoleonic era naval games? Preferably newer or more recent releases.

I know little about it but there is this: http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

or this: http://www.heartsofoakgame.com/

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 22, 2016

Mori
Mar 6, 2003

Yooper posted:

In an effort to understand WitE better I set out to write some tutorials. I've got a handful up now, curious as to your guys thoughts, and any other topics you think are worth covering.

War in the East Tutorials

I plan on covering supply basics, soft factors, air basics, and basic strategies. The goal isn't to make an expert, but to help people wade through the game bit by bit.

I just wanted to post that I've been reading and enjoying these tutorials. A lot of it is stuff I've already figured out but there is some great info in there and the illustrated nature of it makes it a million times easier to absorb than the manual. Thank you!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Glad it helped. Getting the manual to be more visual really helped me put it together.

I'm digging through the air section right now, so far that's the most challenging. Things are happening in game that I can find no reference to, it's really odd as other parts of the game are very well documented. Or I just might not be in the proper section... :grog:

After that will be support units, I don't expect it to be too bad. Beyond that I think it's covered.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Yooper posted:

Glad it helped. Getting the manual to be more visual really helped me put it together.

I'm digging through the air section right now, so far that's the most challenging. Things are happening in game that I can find no reference to, it's really odd as other parts of the game are very well documented. Or I just might not be in the proper section... :grog:

After that will be support units, I don't expect it to be too bad. Beyond that I think it's covered.

Yeah honestly this is the part I'm really waiting for because since they started tinkering with it my understanding of the system has gone completely out the window. Thank you for your service.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I'm finally back into War in the East (especially with good literature alongside now) and was wondering how well War in the West is viewed here. I'm too busy now, but thinking long term.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
GoG.com is now selling Hearts of Iron 3+DLCs for a little over :10bux:, it's worth it or should I wait for HOI4? I'm really bad at Paradox games.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Angry Lobster posted:

GoG.com is now selling Hearts of Iron 3+DLCs for a little over :10bux:, it's worth it or should I wait for HOI4? I'm really bad at Paradox games.

Not worth it. Wait.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Dude 4 is going to be a pile of poo poo and even if it is good it is going to take the usual 3 or 4 dlc path to make it so.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Angry Lobster posted:

If you're interested in WW2, definitely get it. Stuff like the nation designer are really cool to play around with. Try some of the scenarios before jumping up to the campaign.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Chump Farts posted:

I'm finally back into War in the East (especially with good literature alongside now) and was wondering how well War in the West is viewed here. I'm too busy now, but thinking long term.

I haven't played them but from reading AARs and threads here WitW is not getting a very good reception. Lots of complaints about a lack of polish, especially in the context of victory conditions. For example, the allies effectively lose if they don't have ten or twenty hexes of beachhead on France by some date. It's -1000 VPs, when a typical turn might see +/- ten and a "decisive axis victory" is -2000 VP. If the have one less hex, because they've taken all of Italy, they still suffer the penalty.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been through all the tutorials and videos and the manual and I still can hardly figure out how to do the initial allied assault. It's a terribly dense and unintuitive game, even by Grigsby standards.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Chump Farts posted:

I'm not a huge fan. The air system is better than WitE's but it's also more complex and much more time consuming which is a huge letdown. The amphibious stuff is fun and I really like the German's system for managing the Eastern front but it's not worth the price of admission imo. The game is so complex that I'm sure there's all sorts of awful gamey poo poo you can do with the air/amphibious mechanics but I haven't bothered digging deep enough to break them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

dtkozl posted:

Dude 4 is going to be a pile of poo poo and even if it is good it is going to take the usual 3 or 4 dlc path to make it so.

Both CK2 and EUIV prove you wrong. Paradox REALLY looks like they've learned how to make things and now games no longer require two/three expansions to be not-poo poo, they actually start out that way.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Both CK2 and EUIV prove you wrong. Paradox REALLY looks like they've learned how to make things and now games no longer require two/three expansions to be not-poo poo, they actually start out that way.

Seconding this. Third thing: HOI 3 was garbage. I'd recommend someone buy Darkest Hour over 3.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

EU4 was terrible before the expansions dude. Trade was completely broken and combat was the same boring slog.

But lets look past those because eu 3 and ck1 were good games. HOI 3 was not and no amount of expansions could fix that pile. Looking at the design diaries hoi4 looks like it is going to be an even bigger disaster. I'll be as happy as anyone if it isn't, but I'm going in with very low expectations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

I was in the beta and really did not like it at all. The scale does not work well for the sort of combat that went on the Western Front - there are no sweeping encirclements or desperate defenses to be found here. The game boils down to counting individual unit factors and checking on logistics and shuffling counters around for single-hex gains, back and forth. Which would be fine if the game actually made it easy to pull all that data together, but it doesn't.

Combined with the fact that the new air war is pretty much an entire second game all by itself and it was just too tedious. Battles in Normandy/Italy would be a better game for the period/theater.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was in the beta and really did not like it at all. The scale does not work well for the sort of combat that went on the Western Front - there are no sweeping encirclements or desperate defenses to be found here. The game boils down to counting individual unit factors and checking on logistics and shuffling counters around for single-hex gains, back and forth. Which would be fine if the game actually made it easy to pull all that data together, but it doesn't.

Combined with the fact that the new air war is pretty much an entire second game all by itself and it was just too tedious. Battles in Normandy/Italy would be a better game for the period/theater.

I really like the combat system, and Husky was fun, but so far I'm garbage at Avalanche. A few turns in I was having whole regiments cut off and my beachhead split in half. I also feel like I'm shaky on ZoC for decisive battles because the enemy always sneaks in and destroys my support units.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

dtkozl posted:

EU4 was terrible before the expansions dude. Trade was completely broken and combat was the same boring slog.

But lets look past those because eu 3 and ck1 were good games. HOI 3 was not and no amount of expansions could fix that pile. Looking at the design diaries hoi4 looks like it is going to be an even bigger disaster. I'll be as happy as anyone if it isn't, but I'm going in with very low expectations.

So what part of the diaries makes it look like a complete disaster to you?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think Paradox is banking a lot on the Battleplan system working well. HOI4 still has the high province counts and the high unit counts, and then it's riding on the assumption that the AI + player-directed plans will let it work.

I don't think HOI4 is going to be ~~~bad~~~, but more like cautious optimism.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think Paradox is banking a lot on the Battleplan system working well. HOI4 still has the high province counts and the high unit counts, and then it's riding on the assumption that the AI + player-directed plans will let it work.

I don't think HOI4 is going to be ~~~bad~~~, but more like cautious optimism.

Yeah, the game design seems to rely on something working that doesn't currently work (by the press accounts) so it's very much a case of whether or not they can fix that.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe this sounds dumb but HoI3 always felt close to being a really good game. It isn't like a ton of provinces/hexes and OOB poo poo ever really deterred any grognard type. It is just the execution of the ideas that seemed really off in a way I can't really think of a way to describe.

it is interesting that playing as Italy or other non-juggernaut nations always seemed way more fun in that game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think HOI3 with truly discrete turns would have worked better. You're right, other games have more tedium/more fiddly bits, but turns let you break down the work into manageable chunks. "Ok, that's the Western Front done, let me work on Russia next"

The non-juggernaut nations are fun and playable because you're only ever fighting on one front at a time, maybe two, so there's never a feeling that you're having to juggle too many things in a never-ending pattern.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I always saw people complain that Hearts of Iron 3 was way too focused and didn't let you branch out into other timelines like Hearts of Iron 2 did (with its expansions).

I'm pretty biased towards HoI3 because the interface is a lot easier and it seems like a more streamlined game in my opinion. That said, I think the two biggest issues in HoI3 was AI intelligence and Navies/production. It took forever to build certain units to the point where you sometimes just skipped them entirely, and the AI couldn't handle certain things (and arguably still can't) when it comes to amphibious landings and the associated invasion of an enemy nation.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Anyone know what designer mode does in Aurora? And why Steve is so against giving out the password? He should just tell people that break their own free game with designer to piss off.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Anyone know what designer mode does in Aurora? And why Steve is so against giving out the password? He should just tell people that break their own free game with designer to piss off.

Makes civilians show up in player race dialogs (Task Groups and Individual Unit Details) and makes the NPRs show up in all the dialogs. Once you start fiddling with them, your game can go to hell very quickly.

Steve is against it because what if someone jacks up their game using it, then doesn't say they were using it when they file the bug report? How is he supposed to know that they broke it through careless meddling and not just regular gameplay if they don't self-report it?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Looks like the patch that includes the ability to make custom units is out for Advanced Tactics Gold. Anyone give it a go yet?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
HOI3 research substituted obnoxious byzantine structure for actual depth and choice.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fintilgin posted:

Looks like the patch that includes the ability to make custom units is out for Advanced Tactics Gold. Anyone give it a go yet?

Tables of organization and equipment, you mean - all units in ATG are custom by default, with TO&E you can design unit standards I haven't tried it yet, will have to see what it does to ongoing PBEM games.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

HOI3 research substituted obnoxious byzantine structure for actual depth and choice.

You mean researching 4 techs for infantry instead of 1?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

ArchangeI posted:

So what part of the diaries makes it look like a complete disaster to you?
I admit I have not looked at them all but it honestly looks like they learned nothing from 3.

3 was ok once they actually patched it into being playable for longer than an hour. I figured out how to use AI commanders and in something like the eastern front they did alright. The division builder was a huge step up and actually made the game much more realistic. The problem was everything else. Air stacking penalties were ridiculous. The AI was so bad a child could beat it. It couldn't amphibious assault and its use of naval was suspect even at the best of times. For 4 the naval doesn't seem to be any better and it looks like the team now has even less of an idea of what carrier combat looked like than the team that made 2. The doctrine system looks to be complete trash. Totally ahistorical and even going so far as to hollywood with the idea that the russians used human waves and masses of bodies to swamp the germans. This is a fantasy based on nazi propaganda and should not be in anything other than some joke fantasy game. It also shows they still don't fundamentally understand manpower. The brits, french, and the japanese all using the same system also doesn't make any sense.

I still don't think the AI will be able to handle ww2 combat operations either. Really if they had just fixed that I would have thought 3 was a good game. I respect they tried to make 3 a more realistic game. 4 goes the opposite direction and dumbs everything down. If they manage to stick in a good AI and it is a fun game it will be fine. I don't think that is likely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eskaton posted:

You mean researching 4 techs for infantry instead of 1?

But there's very little value to doing the specific research for infantry and the way you build aircraft/ships/tanks with engines and armament is extremely not fun.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

dtkozl posted:

I admit I have not looked at them all but it honestly looks like they learned nothing from 3.

3 was ok once they actually patched it into being playable for longer than an hour. I figured out how to use AI commanders and in something like the eastern front they did alright. The division builder was a huge step up and actually made the game much more realistic. The problem was everything else. Air stacking penalties were ridiculous. The AI was so bad a child could beat it. It couldn't amphibious assault and its use of naval was suspect even at the best of times. For 4 the naval doesn't seem to be any better and it looks like the team now has even less of an idea of what carrier combat looked like than the team that made 2. The doctrine system looks to be complete trash. Totally ahistorical and even going so far as to hollywood with the idea that the russians used human waves and masses of bodies to swamp the germans. This is a fantasy based on nazi propaganda and should not be in anything other than some joke fantasy game. It also shows they still don't fundamentally understand manpower. The brits, french, and the japanese all using the same system also doesn't make any sense.

I still don't think the AI will be able to handle ww2 combat operations either. Really if they had just fixed that I would have thought 3 was a good game. I respect they tried to make 3 a more realistic game. 4 goes the opposite direction and dumbs everything down. If they manage to stick in a good AI and it is a fun game it will be fine. I don't think that is likely.

We've had one DD about naval combat in the most broad strokes imaginable and very little about the effects of land doctrines, but don't let that stop you from posting Very Strong Opinions on the Internet.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dtkozl posted:

You should, because HoI4 looks nothing like HoI3...

Also, "Nazi Propaganda"? Really?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 31, 2015

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

dtkozl posted:

It's weird that human wave in games is a thing. DC models political obstacles and C and C issues really well. DH has a purge event nuke leadership. I don't think AP would work in a real time game, but you could have reduced speed and political ramifications for not attacking into bad or desperate odds as Russia if you wanted that feel. When did the Russian archives open? Most recent lit I've read works hard to dispel those myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You should, because HoI4 looks nothing like HoI3...

Also, "Nazi Propaganda"? Really?

Like I said I'll be just as pleased as anyone else if it is good. I just have lowered expectations no reason to kirk out.

As for nazi propaganda, yes it is. The idea that the germans were constantly fighting hordes of russians with only their better doctrine and superior technology to help them even the score is 100% cold war propaganda put together by former nazi's in the west. The germans generally had local superiority in manpower when they won, so the idea that they never outnumbered the russians in a battle is a fallacy.