Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FishBulb posted:

Is that really a thing

It is, and not me. The most "mainstream" toys I really have are things like the Don't Starve Wilson 3 inch figure (oh and I adored putting together the Lego Movie pirate dude.)

Mostly I like some of the funky artist-series KidRobot stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
I believe the Quiet squishy boobs thing isn't real. People have said if you press very very hard, you can move the material (that the rest of the figure is made of), but they are not extra squishy boobs.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzACAm2QOBw starts around 11:00

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 31, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I bought a custom $100 Solaire figure, but that's about the limit of my budget when it comes to "dumb poo poo that sits on the shelf and collects dust".

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

EC posted:

I bought a custom $100 Solaire figure, but that's about the limit of my budget when it comes to "dumb poo poo that sits on the shelf and collects dust".

Oh yeah? How about your god drat degree?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FishBulb posted:

Is that really a thing

Kojima.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ruddha posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhh shitttttttttt!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Hideo Kojima, having been fired by Konami, is now nefariously inserting mold for the factories to make into figurines and is also responsible for the Phantom Pain marketing strategy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Szurumbur posted:

Hideo Kojima, having been fired by Konami, is now nefariously inserting mold for the factories to make into figurines and is also responsible for the Phantom Pain marketing strategy.

He designed Quiet before he was fired. Long long before. And her design is pretty messed up, squishy-boob figures or no.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Zaphod42 posted:

He designed Quiet before he was fired. Long long before. And her design is pretty messed up, squishy-boob figures or no.

Yeah, when I saw her in the Phantom Pain trailer I sighed out loud. Ill be happy to see that kind of design go. I am sure it will have plenty of defenders because Kojima. But its still sad.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Agreed, that loving slore needs to cover up, how dare she wear the kind of thing she likes, I'm much more better than her at knowing things.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, when I saw her in the Phantom Pain trailer I sighed out loud. Ill be happy to see that kind of design go. I am sure it will have plenty of defenders because Kojima. But its still sad.

You really think we'll stop seeing trashy costumes in video games because one man won't be working on Metal Gear games?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

So what does he have to do with the "squishy boobs" figurine?

Edit: and people who tested if the boobs are actually squishy :lol:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Ruddha posted:

:drat:

Content: Playing Rocket League with pubbies is like trying to play soccer in a YMCA public league. Everyone chases the ball like it's a free-for-all with absolutely no regard for teammates, theres absolutely NO semblance of setting up plays, your teammates end up hurting more than helping 99% of the time, and there's always that one rear end in a top hat who will sit in the goal like he's going to be a keeper of some type, but lets every god drat ball go past him every. single. time. Seriously? GTFO and go play offense. Shithead.

Sorry. I've been getting smashed lately with idiots who have no idea what they're doing. I'll go take a time out now. /rant

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 31, 2015

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Szurumbur posted:

So what does he have to do with the "squishy boobs" figurine?

Edit: and people who tested if the boobs are actually squishy :lol:

Think more bags of sand than squishy flesh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ruddha posted:

Agreed, that loving slore needs to cover up, how dare she wear the kind of thing she likes, I'm much more better than her at knowing things.

Lol yes she is a real human being with agency who chooses what she wears, and not some sad Japanese man's masturbatory fantasy. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, I think Kojima's really overrated. He gets all the credit for metal gear solid being fun but I'm pretty sure the most Kojima elements of the games are the worst part of the games and the parts everybody likes (sneaking around, killing dudes, hiding in boxes) are probably more the product of Konami's other designers and engineers more than Kojima himself. He comes up with all this crazy stuff that's pretty much Molyneux-esque but manages to push his team to actually deliver. (which is at least better than Molyneux who leaves it half-assed)

MGS3 was the best MGS because it had the least Kojima. It was mostly just cold war james bond poo poo, and even the bad guys weren't too crazy. Bee man? Flamethrower man? Sure, I'll buy that. Not too different than Jaws or Oddjob.

But even in MGS3 you have things like this, a note about the fight with The End:

quote:

Hideo Kojima originally wanted the boss fight to last one to two weeks but was told that this was impossible and not recommended.

What in the gently caress Kojima. :stare: How did you think that was a good idea? The guy is drinking his own kool-aid. He doesn't really care about good gameplay, he just wants to do crazy artistic ~my vision~ stuff. He's like the George Lucas of videogames.

Quiet is just loving too much. Its just awkward.

Ruddha posted:

Source your quotes Ruddha.

Its a fictional character, she doesn't want anything. The outfit is what Kojima picked for her, not what she picked for herself. And Kojima is a loving creeper.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Lol yes she is a real human being with agency who chooses what she wears, and not some sad Japanese man's masturbatory fantasy. :allears:

Yeah alright there toilet boy

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

If you don't have 100% faith in Kojima the game mastermind of our time you straight up don't deserve to play video games and must report to hell immediately

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That can't be the case because left to their own devices KojiPro either makes mediocre Metal Gear games (Portable Ops) or can't make them at all (MGS:R).

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I think Kojima's really overrated. He gets all the credit for metal gear solid being fun but I'm pretty sure the most Kojima elements of the games are the worst part of the games and the parts everybody likes (sneaking around, killing dudes, hiding in boxes) are probably more the product of Konami's other designers and engineers more than Kojima himself.

You're a crazy person.

Edit: George Lucas is a good man too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I think Kojima's really overrated. He gets all the credit for metal gear solid being fun but I'm pretty sure the most Kojima elements of the games are the worst part of the games and the parts everybody likes (sneaking around, killing dudes, hiding in boxes) are probably more the product of Konami's other designers and engineers more than Kojima himself. He comes up with all this crazy stuff that's pretty much Molyneux-esque but manages to push his team to actually deliver. (which is at least better than Molyneux who leaves it half-assed)

MGS3 was the best MGS because it had the least Kojima. It was mostly just cold war james bond poo poo, and even the bad guys weren't too crazy. Bee man? Flamethrower man? Sure, I'll buy that. Not too different than Jaws or Oddjob.

But even in MGS3 you have things like this, a note about the fight with The End:

What in the gently caress Kojima. :stare: How did you think that was a good idea? The guy is drinking his own kool-aid. He doesn't really care about good gameplay, he just wants to do crazy artistic ~my vision~ stuff. He's like the George Lucas of videogames.

Its a fictional character, she doesn't want anything. The outfit is what Kojima picked for her, not what she picked for herself. And Kojima is a loving creeper.

You Will Feel Ashamed of Your Words & Deeds.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A man whom bees inhabit and who can control them telepathically and by voice: essentially nothing special, grounded in reality, even.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, MGS3 is pretty much the most-Kojima game he's done, besides probably Peacewalker. The stuff you mentioned about James Bond / Cold War...that's his wheelhouse. If he could have put Joy Division in it, he probably would have.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DrNutt posted:

:cry:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm sure pretty much every genius ever has had brilliant and mind-numbingly stupid ideas in equal measure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

I'm sure pretty much every genius ever has had brilliant and mind-numbingly stupid ideas in equal measure.

That's why it's important that they have superiors who can shoot down the stupid ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Metal Gear games are okay.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pretty hyped for the Phantom Pain. The thing with Quiet is a non-issue.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mr E posted:

You Will Feel Ashamed of Your Words & Deeds.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Szurumbur posted:

A man whom bees inhabit and who can control them telepathically and by voice: essentially nothing special, grounded in reality, even.

The bees are controlled by a queen bee's pheromones!!!!

:goonsay:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ruddha posted:

Yeah alright there toilet boy

Didn't Kojima specifically say he designed Quiet so that cosplayers would dress like that?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, it's stupid but it's not like the previous metal gears haven't had plenty of cringeworthy poo poo in them. Quiet having a bad outfit is about a billion times better than whatever the B&B unit in MGS4 was.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ruddha posted:

I skipped college, and honestly have no idea where my HS diploma is now, so.....?

When recording local videos, is it possible to record party chat alongside? The other night we played a Rocket League match, and party chat was being broadcast on Feenix's stream just fine, but when I looked back at the recordings they only had my voice. I'd rather it not record at all or record everyone, but only recording my mic is awkward and weird.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PantsBandit posted:

Even just sticking to Metal Gear games, the sexual elements in 3 work out pretty well for the most part and the sexual elements of 4 are boring and dumb, so it's crazy to condemn a game that isn't even out and discredit the man's work because one of its characters has a dumb looking costume.

Also yeah she's already shown a more interesting personality with her whole "lighting Big Boss's cigar with her rifle" thing and her enthusiastic thumbs up than the whole B&B Corp did across all of MGS4.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 31, 2015

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

It's not a non-issue but yeah, TPP will probably be a good game in spite of it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Vic Boss posted:

The bees are controlled by a queen bee's pheromones!!!!

:goonsay:

I thought he had been eating a lot of bees in his childhood and so they learnt to fear and obey him, but your explanation also works.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ruddha posted:

If you don't have 100% faith in Kojima the game mastermind of our time you straight up don't deserve to play video games and must report to hell immediately

The original Metal Gear Solid was straight up amazing. Everything else after was brief flashes of brilliance, punctuated by 35 minutes of awful dialogue about a nonsensical and poorly written story. Dude should have stuck to the original formula.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

He controls the bees with the power of his erotic dance moves.

Megasabin posted:

The original Metal Gear Solid was straight up amazing. Everything else after was brief flashes of brilliance, punctuated by 35 minutes of awful dialogue about a nonsensical and poorly written story. Dude should have stuck to the original formula.
MGS1 has just as many endless exposition dumps as the rest of the series.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Megasabin posted:

MGS3 is the best one though.

(and Revengeance but that's not a solid game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Surlaw posted:

He controls the bees with the power of his erotic dance moves.

MGS1 has just as many endless exposition dumps as the rest of the series.

I felt like they were less disorganized and insane than the others, barring the ending sequence (real life footage in an MGS game = 30 minute diatribe bordering on psychotic disorganization ). It's been a long time though, so maybe it was just me being in middle school when the first one came out, and nostalgia taking over.

• Locked thread