Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Friendly Tumour posted:

There is a back step although it's less than useful against enemies with any kind of reach.

Do you have iframes during the backstep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks guys. The limited healing may be a problem if the enemies hit as hard as they do in BB.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Loss of Rally is the biggest adjustment imo

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I like the as-many-as-you-can-find/carry nature of healing in bloodborne but I hope they drop it in DS3. I want to go back to just your limited uses of estus because having the healing stones and estus just trivialized most everything in DS2.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its easier than bloodborne cos the hp bars of bosses are tiny

Zodar
May 21, 2007

I'm glad the kick is back in DS3. It's a useful little move. I can't believe DS1 is the only one of these games that has the kick

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In Training posted:

Do you have iframes during the backstep?

nope! you can do a running attack afterwards though. it's sometimes useful if you master it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zodar posted:

I'm glad the kick is back in DS3. It's a useful little move. I can't believe DS1 is the only one of these games that has the kick

i really hate the ds2 guardbreak in comparison.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

its easier than bloodborne cos the hp bars of bosses are tiny

you can also hide behind a giant shield the whole game instead of learning how to dodge

the amount of iframes you get from rolling in dark souls is next to nothing compared to bloodborne, but it's there

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Friendly Tumour posted:

nope! you can do a running attack afterwards though. it's sometimes useful if you master it

backstep does have iframes. it's just a tiny window, you need to be incredibly precise and the payoff is big

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Dark Souls III is getting a bunch of closed door demos today, like the one written about here http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-23-dark-souls-3 a few days ago

The highlights

- weapons have Weapon Arts which are like special moves that seem similar to the type of moves you could pull off by doing weapon transforms mid combo in BB.
- the main theme is Ash; Miyazaki says Dark Souls 1 and 2 were forsaken worlds and 3 will be an apocalyptic one, so something more like the second half of Bloodborne I suppose.
- move speed is faster but not as fast as Bloodborne
- the demo they show has a bridge full of enemies where a dragon flies over it and kills them with fire, lol. Miyazaki apparently chuckled during this part too and says he always wants to have that moment in the game
- This game is co-directed and Miyazaki is in charge of world design and art, while the other guy is in charge of getting the mechanics working.

The most interesting thing in this is that Miyazaki stressed that Dark souls III will be "a turning point" for From Software and that he doesn't like having one game per year. May be a while before we see another souls-like release after DSIII.

There will be lots of written impressions coming out today and video next week once Gamescom starts. I really hope something about the Bloodborne expansion shows up too

this sounds freaking epic

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bobnumerotres posted:

backstep does have iframes. it's just a tiny window, you need to be incredibly precise and the payoff is big

wow I did not know that. cool

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
fastrolling in DS1 is really fun, but it severely limits your dress-up

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

I also started with Bloodborne and went back and started Demon's Souls, which I had lying around but just couldn't get past having to start a level completely over after death. After BB it all makes sense, and Demon's Souls is really fun, now.

I'm not sure about DS1 and 2, though...

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

RangerAce posted:

I also started with Bloodborne and went back and started Demon's Souls, which I had lying around but just couldn't get past having to start a level completely over after death. After BB it all makes sense, and Demon's Souls is really fun, now.

I'm not sure about DS1 and 2, though...

dark souls 1 is a incredible game and imo is a lot better than demons souls. dark souls 2 is less good but still worth playing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i hope dark souls 3 brings back DS1 style iframes and stuff. having iframes as a loving stat you need to invest into was retarded

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i hope dark souls 3 brings back DS1 style iframes and stuff. having iframes as a loving stat you need to invest into was retarded

That sucked, especially since you got so many levels in DS2 every char I made invested the 25 points or whatever to get it back a normal feeling of combat. It may well have not even existed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That happens a lot because this website is a piece of poo poo.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

the amount of iframes you get from rolling in dark souls is next to nothing compared to bloodborne, but it's there

i think theyre the same

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the real prob with ds2 was that the invincibility frames were in the middle of the roll instead of as soon as u pressed the button

Dec 26, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Thanks guys. The limited healing may be a problem if the enemies hit as hard as they do in BB.

the trick is that unlike bloodborne where vials always heal 40%, the estus flask heals a static amount that's pretty generous (if you only lightly invest in hp it'll usually full heal you). you also have the ability to fortify bonfires to give yourself extra uses (10 instead of 5 at first, later max is 20)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
imo there wasn't anything really wrong with estus, and i hope they go back to it

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone use the shield in Bloodborne? It seemed fairly useless to me.

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

imo there wasn't anything really wrong with estus, and i hope they go back to it

the only real advantage to vials is being able to pick them up mid-level from enemies but you could have mid-level refills with estus too so it's not even that

ds2's healing situation was weird and not very well thought out and hopefully they dont do that again

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Human Grand Prix posted:

it has some cool situational uses like blocking rom's overhead meteors, but it's more of a gimmick than anything else you would put in your offhand.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
People used it in dueling, especially versus bloodtinge builds

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

It seemed like maybe a gag, especially looking at the lore text for it.

"Hunters do not normally employ shields, ineffectual against the strength of the beasts as they tend to be. Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the shield was put in the game as a jab at dark souls. it barely blocks damage at all and it expends all of your stamina, even when blocking basic attacks

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

the shield was put in the game as a jab at dark souls. it barely blocks damage at all and it expends all of your stamina, even when blocking basic attacks

it's good against rom

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I bought this game, I'm excited, trying to resist spoilering the whole thing and just play.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

today a kirkhammer NPC hunter blocked my attacks with the hammer and i was loving furious

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I bought this game, I'm excited, trying to resist spoilering the whole thing and just play.

going through bloodborne blind is a hell of an experience, enjoy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

rediscover posted:

going through bloodborne blind is a hell of an experience, enjoy

the weapons are cool already and I want all of the starting ones

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

I'm insanely jealous of the fun you are about to have

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's not too difficult to do that, you'll be able to buy them within a few areas

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i need some dlc

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i spoiled most of dark souls by looking up the wiki before i started because i heard the game was insanely hard. is really hard to get used to the idea that failing is part of the enjoyment

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
for some of us failing just comes natural. its not even a big deal or very hard for me to fail

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the zen of failing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

soon, you can have all of them