Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You Am I posted:

*flicks cigarette at u*

*tries to do a burnout out of the parking lot in a fwd*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The only redeeming quality of the Prius C is that it comes in some cool colors, which that idiot fucker didn't even select.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Now that I have a second just figured I'd add that I'm pretty new to aftermarket anything and wondered if I'd be better off getting FiST Recaros from ebay or just going through a Ford dealership.

Those recaros are major coin. I would be surprised if changing out the seats is a DIY job, and I imagine dealership labor cost to swap them out would not be cheap either.

The standard seats (in the FiST anyway) aren't that bad. Use some of that several thousand that you saved to put toward an accessport, ic.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

In less terrible stuff about cars that hardly qualifies as a hot hatch, pricing and options for the Focus RS were accidently revealed with a base price of $35,730 putting it squarely in competition with the Golf R and STI.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-focus-rs-pricing-and-options-accidentally-revealed-online/

That puts it just outside of my price range. Plus I've been concerned that the RS has far more power than I would ever need in a daily driver that I currently don't intend on racing with. I've also been going back and forth on liking how it looks and being able to live it. I only like the front grille splitter when its dark enough that you can't see it and with the rear wing it looks too much like a boy racer car.

And with rumors of the WRX hatchback potentially coming out in Q2 2017, I may consider waiting.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 29, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Electric Pigeon posted:

It's OK, I find them inexplicably cute and smile whenever I see them.

In warmer news, FoRS base price suspected $35,730, plus $1990 for forged wheels/PSC2, from the focus fan fora. :getin:

poo poo, if this is true, I might have to change my name.

poo poo, 345 hp, cheaper, and I can get a sunroof? hmmmmmmmm.

And of course today I get an email that they're about to start doing orders for the R.

Annnnnnnd, after talking to the dude, I could go down there right now and buy a Black R with Nav and Dcc.

Hahah, and talking to the other dealer, they want a 5000 OVER msrp, screw that.

Waiting for dealership 1 to send me back numbers and an estimate on my trade in. Might be upgrading this weekend.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 29, 2015

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-focus-rs-pricing-and-options-accidentally-revealed-online/

Looks like the RS pricing finally leaked.

Edit: I read good.

The Pell fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 29, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Two posts up, friend.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

The

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How can it only be $36,000? I could seriously make that happen in a about a year.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rhyno posted:

How can it only be $36,000? I could seriously make that happen in a about a year.

I don't know but this is truly a second Renaissance if one can get a 345hp all wheel drive hot hatch for 10k less than the slowest Porsche

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8ender posted:

I don't know but this is truly a second Renaissance if one can get a 345hp all wheel drive hot hatch for 10k less than the slowest Porsche

I have a pretty solid amount of cash in savings, in it's current condition I can probably squeak $10K out of the MS6, my credit is above 750 on all thee agencies...

I should stop thinking about this.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Weren't you thinking about getting rid of your miata too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Weren't you thinking about getting rid of your miata too?

I think about playing musical cars pretty much every day. But lately I've been pretty drat happy with my cars. I drove the MS6 yesterday for the first time in weeks and the BOOOOOOST was such a good feeling. I've been following the MZR communities on FB and it wouldn't be hard to get the 6 up to similar power levels for a not crazy amount of money.

But the RS...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
QQ they're only offering me 13k for my TDI trade. But at least they aren't trying to gently caress me with a 5000 dollar "o0o0o0 it's special" addon like the other dealer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
A Focus RS in that blue at that price looks mighty fine indeed. If there isn't any major hang-ups or limited numbers I might become a Ford man.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Same, for that price I might become a Ford man too. Hell, I might even splurge for the GT350.....until 3 hours ago when my wife said no way are we buying any Ford that isn't a 60's Mustang. She used to work for the company that maintained the Big 3's private jets in Michigan and is disgusted by the way the Detroit companies wasted money on jets when they were laying off all the employees. She's ok with Porsche though and likes the idea of getting a 911 so....

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Had my Abarth for a couple of weeks now and I'm totally in love with it. It makes me laugh whenever I drive it :haw:

I just hope my neighbors don't hate me too much. The 5:30am cold starts sound really loud when I leave for the gym in the morning.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So after taxes, trade in and all the other bullshit that comes along with buying a new car, I'm going to be financing 36k for the new R. I can make it work, i can make it work, i can make it work.

At least I'm not paying markup. And I'll have the 2nd 2016 Golf R in the state :catdrugs:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

So after taxes, trade in and all the other bullshit that comes along with buying a new car, I'm going to be financing 36k for the new R. I can make it work, i can make it work, i can make it work.

At least I'm not paying markup. And I'll have the 2nd 2016 Golf R in the state :catdrugs:

Nice! I don't see myself buying another VW at this point, but I'm sure the R would be fun.

I'm kind of interested in seeing if the rumor where something on the Focus RS is getting pretty much as much power as it can take without breaking is true before I really start looking at them. I reckon it will be pretty obvious within the first couple of months after they're out.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fknlo posted:

Nice! I don't see myself buying another VW at this point, but I'm sure the R would be fun.

I'm kind of interested in seeing if the rumor where something on the Focus RS is getting pretty much as much power as it can take without breaking is true before I really start looking at them. I reckon it will be pretty obvious within the first couple of months after they're out.

What turbocharged 2.3L do you know of that makes 345HP and ISN'T pushed close to the reliability limit? That's a lot of power out of not a lot of displacement, and it's got a factory warranty.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I think the turbo is pretty maxed out, but the internals and block should take a good bit more.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the thing the guy was talking about was something in the awd system. I think it was a guy on nasioc that had worked on it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

Pretty sure the thing the guy was talking about was something in the awd system. I think it was a guy on nasioc that had worked on it.
Based on the Ecoboost Mustang, the engine is not the limiter here at all. I'm much more inclined to think the AWD system is going to be the failure point.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

fknlo posted:

I remember reading that, he had a great analogy where he described the drivetrain as being a bucket with a 5 gallon capacity and the stock power being 5.2 gallons of liquid. So basically the drivetrain is pushed to the limit from the factory and more power will just break poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wrar posted:

Based on the Ecoboost Mustang, the engine is not the limiter here at all. I'm much more inclined to think the AWD system is going to be the failure point.

I've seen a couple dozen MS6 builds where they eat axles as soon as they cross 300hp so I would believe it. It's a similar system isn't it?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I've seen a couple dozen MS6 builds where they eat axles as soon as they cross 300hp so I would believe it. It's a similar system isn't it?

That's embarrassingly low. DSM AWD systems from '92-'99 can take massive abuse from morons doing full clutch dumps at 5krpm and last for years and years with 400+ hp. I know new AWD systems are all fancy with computers, but somehow you'd think that would make things even more reliable.

My old college roommate had an AWD '98 Talon running low 11's with consistent 1.6 60' times and never broke a single drivetrain part in the 5 years he raced the car with many hundreds of drag launches.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

We've got better maths now so no need to over engineer stuff for reliability. You can save quite a bit by engineering a part to only reliably survive factory performance stresses, no need to spend the extra manufacturing cost when 95+% of your cars aren't going to see those increased stresses, let alone it being a warranty issue since it's been modified from factory spec.

We only get bullet proof components now if the engineering and finance allow it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Eh, if it's under built then Ford will just eat poo poo when it comes to warranty which is not in their best interest obviously. I wouldn't believe it until shitheads on the internet have broken parts in hand.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Larrymer posted:

Eh, if it's under built then Ford will just eat poo poo when it comes to warranty which is not in their best interest obviously. I wouldn't believe it until shitheads on the internet have broken parts in hand.

Whats that? You broke something? Oh you upgraded your ECU? Pound sand buddy.

Does Ford have a version of TD1 like VW does?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

Whats that? You broke something? Oh you upgraded your ECU? Pound sand buddy.

Does Ford have a version of TD1 like VW does?

My local Ford dealer actually sells pre-tuned cars under warranty. This was includes STs and lifted super trucks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

My local Ford dealer actually sells pre-tuned cars under warranty. This was includes STs and lifted super trucks.
That's a dealer warranty, not a Ford warranty. Go to a different dealer and try to get repairs covered.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ilkhan posted:

That's a dealer warranty, not a Ford warranty. Go to a different dealer and try to get repairs covered.

Ford offers factory warranty coverage on Ford dealership-installed or Mountune-installed Mountune modifications. If the dealership is doing Mountune mods on FiSTs and FoSTs, then, yeah, it's a factory warranty.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sigma X posted:

Ford offers factory warranty coverage on Ford dealership-installed or Mountune-installed Mountune modifications. If the dealership is doing Mountune mods on FiSTs and FoSTs, then, yeah, it's a factory warranty.
huh. Interesting.
I didn't know that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's also likely to be an extremely mild tune, and priced higher than what you'd normally pay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So if I want an RS I have to wait one year and I'm forbidden from buying any other cars and/or tools plus no more toys video games.

The girlfriend has spoken.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Rhyno posted:

So if I want an RS I have to wait one year and I'm forbidden from buying any other cars and/or tools plus no more toys video games.

The girlfriend has spoken.

You could cut that down to 6 months if you stop buying her jewelry and stop taking her out to dinner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calidus posted:

You could cut that down to 6 months if you stop buying her jewelry and stop taking her out to dinner.

She never spends money on herself and we rarely go out!

She gets this leverage because via her job we pay $125 a month for our huge apartment. The other condition is would indeed have to sell the MS6 and the Miata. She would allow e to have a boring daily driver but it would have to be auto so she could drive it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like a trick to get you to save up money for the wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Sounds like a trick to get you to save up money for the wedding.

Nah, we're eloping. Since her mom died she decided she didn't want a huge ceremony. And with her dad being all but terminal she's doubled down on that decision.