Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Diviance posted:

Hey, my Ultimate copy is legitimate. I took part in that whole stupid Windows 7 Party promotion they did, which gave you a free copy of Ultimate and a bunch of other junk.

:stare: those were real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Did you throw a Windows 7 party?

I played according to the rules. I had people over and they saw Windows 7.

In between loading movies.

Surprisingly, yes. And Windows 7 did participate in my "party"... it was the most active member, technically.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
So I'm a little confused on how the Insider opt out works and if my copy will expire.

On Wednesday, I decided to do a fresh due to getting a RAID card and finally getting all my hard drives connected (I bought some SSDs recently and ran out of SATA ports).
I already had the preview builds and updated to the RTM with Insider updates. When I reinstalled though, I was already activated but its doesn't look like I'm on the Insider track as far as I can tell anymore.

I didn't have to activate it or even put in a key as it picked up on my hardware IDs, so it recognizes that I previously had it installed on the computer.

I'm just curious because I haven't seen anything telling me to opt back in nor have I seen anything telling me my copy would expire if I don't.

It's not a big issue as I have licenses for both Windows 7 and 8.1 that I can upgrade if needed, I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of another reinstall.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It is a mystery

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Yeah, especially since I had the foresight to use a key viewer and back up the key just in case it had me reactivate.

It's definitely not the preview key I put in and looks like a full-fledged key. :shrug:

I guess the real loophole is just to do a reinstall over an activated build.
Again, worst case scenario is either opting back in or upgrading.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Diviance posted:

I played according to the rules. I had people over and they saw Windows 7.

In between loading movies.

Surprisingly, yes. And Windows 7 did participate in my "party"... it was the most active member, technically.

Oh god. I got the Win 7 Ultimate discs too.

I did not throw a Windows 7 party...I wasn't aware I should've. :v:

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

BDawg posted:

For the most part, Windows 10 is running smoothly. I'm having 3 issues.

1. As mentioned above, not all of my apps are in Start. Outlook vanished before my eyes from the Office 2013 folder when I tried to pin it to Start. Lucky I have it on the Taskbar!

2. I have 24 store apps that aren't updating. They're just stuck at 0.0 or 0.1MB of whatever. So, my XBox app is too old to stream games from my XBox.

3. I have a pending update that won't install. I think it's the one for DVD player software.

1. Sounds like you're possibly hit by the start menu bug: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-has-a-start-menu-bug-1300603

2. I had a similar issue when I first installed 10240. Try making a separate local account, go into the store and update your apps again. It was able to update the store app itself and all the other apps that were stuck. Updating after that point on my main account works without issue.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!

xergm posted:

So I'm a little confused on how the Insider opt out works and if my copy will expire.

On Wednesday, I decided to do a fresh due to getting a RAID card and finally getting all my hard drives connected (I bought some SSDs recently and ran out of SATA ports).
I already had the preview builds and updated to the RTM with Insider updates. When I reinstalled though, I was already activated but its doesn't look like I'm on the Insider track as far as I can tell anymore.

I didn't have to activate it or even put in a key as it picked up on my hardware IDs, so it recognizes that I previously had it installed on the computer.

I'm just curious because I haven't seen anything telling me to opt back in nor have I seen anything telling me my copy would expire if I don't.

It's not a big issue as I have licenses for both Windows 7 and 8.1 that I can upgrade if needed, I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of another reinstall.

same exact thing happened to me...i originally upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 tech preview back in november. bought a new SSD drive a few months ago, decided to do a clean win10 install (before they announced how the free thing would work). I figured I would be on the insider channel or whatever, but my windows copy shows as 'activated' - which i assume means this is the retail copy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Didn't all the preview builds start showing as activated a build or so before RTM?

I wouldn't read too much into that

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've narrowed down my problem from earlier; I still haven't solved it, though.

As far as I can tell, native apps such as Cortana and Edge don't function when connected via wifi. When connected via a cable, or when it's not a native app (eg: Chrome, IRC), it works fine. Anyone have any idea what's going on? It's not the DNS; I tried setting it to 8.8.8.8 and that didn't work, nor could I access sites (not even my router admin page) via IP addresses.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

somethingwicked posted:

1. Sounds like you're possibly hit by the start menu bug: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-has-a-start-menu-bug-1300603

2. I had a similar issue when I first installed 10240. Try making a separate local account, go into the store and update your apps again. It was able to update the store app itself and all the other apps that were stuck. Updating after that point on my main account works without issue.

I wonder why it matters which account you're signed in as. I'll give that a shot later today. Thanks.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Got around to installing Win10 Pro this evening, took a couple more restarts than expected but everything seems to be up and running with no issues...

Is there any way to stop OneDrive from pushing itself at me everywhere?

I'm a bit weirded out by the slideshow background option updating separately for each monitor but it's kind of cool.

There's also the weird overlap and differences between the Settings Menu and Control Panel, some items seem exclusive to one or the other?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Skarsnik posted:

Didn't all the preview builds start showing as activated a build or so before RTM?

I wouldn't read too much into that

Yeah, but those were upgrades from previous Insider builds which automatically put you on the Insider track of the RTM.

This was a clean install of the RTM after it had already been activated on the insider track. It just picked up the activation from the hardware ID, but didn't put it back on the Insider track since it wasn't an upgrade from an Insider build.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VodeAndreas posted:

There's also the weird overlap and differences between the Settings Menu and Control Panel, some items seem exclusive to one or the other?

That's purely as a result of it being rushed and unpolished, common complaint.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Could use some help regarding something dumb I did. I had wanted to save my Game DVR captures to the "Game DVR" folder I created in my OneDrive, but I somehow ended up making the Xbox app point directly to OneDrive. I achieved this by moving the location of the Video folder (I think). But instead of saving captures in the Game DVR folder, it just saves directly to "OneDrive" and not inside the Game DVR folder. I have no idea how to change it now. Halp!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like 10 retains the bug that 8/8.1 had where if you accidentally delete an app, it sometimes won't reinstall because the Store is SUPER sure you still have it.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it fixed itself somehow.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Will a clean install wipe the data on my other drives or just the drive the OS will be installed on?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Khagan posted:

Will a clean install wipe the data on my other drives or just the drive the OS will be installed on?

It SHOULD ask you.

If you don't have backups I'd still pull the data drive before the install. And then make backups.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like 10 retains the bug that 8/8.1 had where if you accidentally delete an app, it sometimes won't reinstall because the Store is SUPER sure you still have it.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it fixed itself somehow.
how many people actually use the windows store

e: honest question

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
You mean that thing I immediately unpinned from my task bar after install?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

This is the only time I've opened it on 10. :v: I needed it to install the Awful Forums Reader.

I opened it maybe twice on 8/8.1? That was when I was curious. Then I immediately stopped being curious about it.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Here's a dumb question: How do you make a local account in Win 10 Home? It wants to tie to an MS account. Local users and groups isn't in computer management and I'm told I can't use it with this version when I try to add it in MMC.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

BDawg posted:

Here's a dumb question: How do you make a local account in Win 10 Home? It wants to tie to an MS account. Local users and groups isn't in computer management and I'm told I can't use it with this version when I try to add it in MMC.

Settings > Accounts > Your Account

is my guess for where to begin.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I don't since I removed it and all the other metro UI apps.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/erase-default-preinstalled-modern-apps-windows-8

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

ElrondHubbard posted:

Settings > Accounts > Your Account

is my guess for where to begin.

Not for local accounts. It wants those accounts tied to MS accounts.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BDawg posted:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-local-account-windows-10/ ??

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't have a Win10 box to test but in 8.1 you can go to the Run box and type "control userpasswords2" and create local accounts from the screen that appears.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

GreenNight posted:

I don't have a Win10 box to test but in 8.1 you can go to the Run box and type "control userpasswords2" and create local accounts from the screen that appears.

That did it! I didn't get the same creation screen from the previous post. It wouldn't give me an option to not use an MS account.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Well, despite my naysaying earlier, curiosity got the best of me and I upgraded my Dell M4800 to 10 last night. A few others on the internet with my machine reported no problems, so that gave me some confidence. Everything went perfectly smoothly, the upgrade took maybe 30 minutes, and I haven't noticed any problems yet. All the UI/UX inconsistency stuff is certainly annoying but function-wise, it's been completely solid so far.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
So I ran into a snag last night. W10 has been flawless on my laptop, but I spent a good 3 hours trying to update my partner's (8.1) computer through WU and I just kept getting generic error messages that it couldn't install. Googling didn't help; I tried everything from running WU Fix to deleting the update files and nada. As far as I know everything is kosher on the computer and it's all activated so I don't know what the gently caress :shrug:

I'm going to try making install media tonight and trying that but you'd think they'd at least be a little more descriptive with their errors, especially considering clicking "more info" just brings you to a search page that gives no results :argh:

I guess worst case I'll just run a refresh and try from scratch, the computer hasn't been redone since it was running 7.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I was trying to run 3DMark's Direct X 12 and it would not run. Then I opened DXDiag and realized something:

My Windows 10 does not have DX12. I could swear that it had it when I first checked, but maybe that was when I upgraded, after which I did a clean install.

-edit-
My video card is running the latest drivers and it does support DX12:

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 31, 2015

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I upgraded last night using the usb utility. It went pretty smoothly overall, but I had a hell of a time getting my microsoft account working. I didn't remember the password because who the gently caress uses a microsoft account, but when I went to reset it it kept seemingly pressing Enter while I was typing the new password.

Also the multiple desktop button is just an empty black space that does nothing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Anyone else get this weird bug?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

somethingwicked posted:

Now, it doesn't even load. They have some issues to work out.

E: After another reboot, running as a local account worked. So weird.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 31, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So far the only problem I've had, is that for some reason my PC won't put my monitor to sleep after my upgrade from 8.1>10. That's it. Anyone know of a fix?

Still wondering about this. Anyone else run into this problem? It's the only problem I've had with Windows 10 so far.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Sometimes, now that I've switched to Windows 10, when I close the lid of my laptop and reopen it, everything's been moved up and to the left, like it reset to a different resolution while the lid was closed. The way things get moved, it kinda looks like it's going from 1920x1080 to 1600x900. Anyone know what might be up?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Still wondering about this. Anyone else run into this problem? It's the only problem I've had with Windows 10 so far.

What are your sleep settings and power settings related to sleep?

I've heard a similar issue was due to some drivers being missing and thus the sleep function not working (if I recall, sleep wasn't an available option in the power menu), though I don't feel like digging through however many pages it'd take to see what the solution to that was.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Can I upgrade to Windows 10 and still use the same Windows 7 key to have an installation of Windows 7 at the same time?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is there any way to change the address that mail gets sent from in the mail app? I have a fastmail.com account with a custom domain, and because there doesn't seem to be a field for the address in the account setup (there only seems to be a field for the username) I'm stuck using the @fastmail.com address, which is kind of lame. Most if not all other clients I've used, even on phones, have this feature.

also when I installed this I had the display language set to en-us; changing it to en-gb disables cortana. I remember hearing that one simply had to make sure that the display language was consistent with the keyboard layout, which I have and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Overall the OS is fairly decent. It's not great; won't win any design awards and it's packed to the gills with legacy cruft more than ever, but it runs stuff OK and is nowhere near as maddeningly inscrutable as win8. Looks wise it's graduated to 'just about papering over the cracks' up from 'arsehole flapping in the wind,' which is nice. I think this, and the 'last version of windows' rumblings show a step in the right direction. No one's really a die hardfan of windows; they just want it to run their poo poo, stay out of the way and not be outright bad to use. They don't want to feel obligated to do an OS upgrade that has a non-zero chance of blasting their files to smithereens, they don't want to be on the receiving end of microsoft's half-baked attempts to impress or to have to learn an entirely different UI paradigm every few years; they just want something where the experience changes little/gradually and technical improvements are silently streamed in. It's not sexy and it's not a growth market, but it's better. Win10, from what I've seen, has gone a good waytward that (not exactly lofty) goal.

That being said why are there still two control panels? It's not nearly as irritating at this point since one of the control panels doesn't forcibly kick you into a completely different environment but it's still bizarre. The new icons are OK but they're not quite comprehensive. And why is it called windows 10? This is one instance where the 'one' or just 'windows' branding wouldn't be completely stupid.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Segmentation Fault posted:

Anyone else get this weird bug?

I am. I gave up and removed all of my small tiles (except the one that inexplicably works fine). Adding them back doesn't help either.

• Locked thread