Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Ciaphas posted:

loving coil

:gitgud:

There's a Coil story mode. It's called undersized party and it, too, does less damage, is more forgiving, and leaves out mechanics.

Level 60 gear & dps augmented by the echo is truly loving ridiculous and it shows. We jokingly queued into t9 a couple times and while drunk and dicking around nearly killed Nael prior to first divebombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was pretty funny doing undersized party as a fresh 60 tank and just face tanking each flatten back around HW launch.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was pretty funny doing undersized party as a fresh 60 tank and just face tanking each flatten back around HW launch.

You can go 1 tank 1 healer for t13 now, it's pretty hilarious. We were killing just after 2nd Ahk Morn with 2 tanks, and that was with a couple dps who had never cleared. You'd probably only see the first Ahk Morn if you went in with 8 experienced people and 6 dps.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Harlock posted:

Any race can be a cute boy.

:swoon:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Holyshoot posted:

It's more so the look of the character then the voice.

Yeah, I can buy that. Her JP voice sounds like how I figure Jane Lynch's character in Wreck-It Ralph sounds.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Yoship One has been brining back too many generic crystals and repeat items lately so we haven't discovered sector 14 and can't get the prototype materials we previously collected from the same sectors. We've constructed the full load of invincible II parts.

I find myself secretly hoping that in 3.1 they're going to add a bunch of unique parts that you can design ship purpose with like the GSS tanaka becoming out fastest ship but unable to retrieve anything of quality while the Yoship brings back a steady stream of desirable materials and offloading goons into sky missions.

The GSS Gong Way will be a liaison ship which conducts business through ineffective goon ship to ship raids.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A lot of old content is fun with level 60. I could get to about 30% as a solo PLD win cape westwind and I'm sure it could be soloed by a summoner.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks for the help with my questions! This thread zooms by so fast i won't quote anyone since it is like 2 pages ago :)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I solo'd Hardtali as a Summoner and Titan-egi, the pet heal spell, and some vit gear and physick spam to eat the final boss' big aoe attack. I've tried Snowcloak without success though, I usually fall off on healing Titan-egi and he dies then I do. I haven't tried since I got law gear though so that and some gitgud should do the trick. Scholar could probably do it though with the defense from law gear and fairy healing.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

RuanGacho posted:

The Yoship One has been brining back too many generic crystals and repeat items lately so we haven't discovered sector 14 and can't get the prototype materials we previously collected from the same sectors. We've constructed the full load of invincible II parts.

I find myself secretly hoping that in 3.1 they're going to add a bunch of unique parts that you can design ship purpose with like the GSS tanaka becoming out fastest ship but unable to retrieve anything of quality while the Yoship brings back a steady stream of desirable materials and offloading goons into sky missions.

The GSS Gong Way will be a liaison ship which conducts business through ineffective goon ship to ship raids.

It looks like the level cap of ships is going to be 50, and at the current rate of capacity growth, the maximum frame capacity is probably 61. Tatanora (tier VI) parts take up 26 capacity points, so there's no way to make a maxed tier VI ship -- you can get at most 2 Tatanora parts on it (and only if the other two parts are tier I Bronco parts). So, there'll be some aspect of purpose-building ships even if they don't add new part types later.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I can't log in to the game today because "a version update is required", error code 1012, but the launcher isn't downloading anything. What gives? :shrug:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Chairman posted:

It looks like the level cap of ships is going to be 50, and at the current rate of capacity growth, the maximum frame capacity is probably 61. Tatanora (tier VI) parts take up 26 capacity points, so there's no way to make a maxed tier VI ship -- you can get at most 2 Tatanora parts on it (and only if the other two parts are tier I Bronco parts). So, there'll be some aspect of purpose-building ships even if they don't add new part types later.

Yeah, depending on how the new airship related missions play out it could be interesting.

The main opportunity I see as a result of the current cap is that less "big" parts that are more specialized, with say +250 speed and -300 retrieve could make it go from building ships balanced to "this is your fc member mission carrier and this ship in the one that leaves for days but brings you all the materials from that sector"

That's probably further extent than they're planning though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also equipping the job stone is what tells the game you want to be a Bard instead of and Archer. Although I can't for the life of me think of a situation where you'd prefer to be your base class rather than your job post-30.

Old design that they haven't figured a good workaround for yet. They hate the class/job thing too because it just causes pointless database bloat but it's not something they can easily overhaul apparently.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Todays DF highlights:
-People in Titan HM getting themselves killed intentionally on every pull
-Getting yelled at by a WHM because I wasn't getting healed by him, which is new and fascinating "dat los" and im like dude i'm not pulling poo poo back to you
-A WAR with chat macros for: Defiance, Deliverance, Berserk, Pacify Soon, Pacify, Provoke, Unchained
-Too many DRKs that dont know you can have Darkside and Grit up at the same time

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Old design that they haven't figured a good workaround for yet. They hate the class/job thing too because it just causes pointless database bloat but it's not something they can easily overhaul apparently.

Well the quick thing would be, instead of just adding three new classes like they did, to add more job crystals that let various classes transition in different DPS/Heal/Tank jobs, somehow.

I am now imagining a Marauder->DPS job.

Less armor! BIGGER AXE!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That would cause a lot more problems than it would solve.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Evader posted:

Well the quick thing would be, instead of just adding three new classes like they did, to add more job crystals that let various classes transition in different DPS/Heal/Tank jobs, somehow.

Less armor! BIGGER AXE!

The last time they did that, it lead to the problem of "We can't buff Summoner because it would also buff Scholar."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Evader posted:

Less armor! BIGGER AXE!

This is a dumb and bad idea.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

This is a dumb and bad idea.

:bandwagon:

let's not forget your dumb and bad idea of a Ffxiv goon meetup

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pews posted:

:bandwagon:

let's not forget your dumb and bad idea of a Ffxiv goon meetup

Still not a bad idea. :colbert:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I sure love having SCH and SMN use the same stat allocations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Mordiceius posted:

Still not a bad idea. :colbert:

The idea of meeting up with goons is fine -- a couple dozen of us met at fanfest and it was no issue at all. What isn't fine is compiling a database of goons' cities of residence

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

nuru posted:

I sure love having SCH and SMN use the same stat allocations.

If GLD and MRD had melee-based dps jobs they wouldnt have to worry about stat allocations :can:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

My hopes and dreams for 4.0:

* PS3 support is axed, maybe they can log in until 5.0 but they can't do any of the new expansion stuff.
* They add a system like Merit Points/Capacitance Points/Paragons so there's a point to getting XP at level cap while adding a more accessible grind than relic weapons
* ...which is tied into a larger meteor-drop on the entire class and job system that does away with classes entirely. Maybe they redo all the job quests or come up with a contrivance to explain how the class guild is tied to the job guild. Probably the cleanest thing to do would be to have the lead-up events in late 3.0 patches to have a storyline about why the various guilds are switching to Job Guild instead of Class Guild. They're going to have to get creative with Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar.
* This also gives them an excuse to allow starting as any of the jobs released so far. The Heavensward ones might be an exception but it'd be even better if they worked a starting location for the jobs into the complete rework.
* The new story quest runs parallel to the old one and starts at level 1 in response to all the whining about how hard it is to unlock Heavensward content, though probably both storylines need to be completed in order to reach the finale.
* Either they don't raise the level cap, instead introducing the prestige system, or use the job cratering as an excuse to jiggle skills around so that we don't have to come up with new keybinds or controllerbinds, because Heavensward already put that at a hard limit.
* Dropping PS3 support allows the new classes to have more interesting mechanics and maybe even additional resources or convert existing things that use buff stacks to more helpful displays. Consider how WoW has a special resource bar for pretty much every class, for instance. Perhaps one way to solve the skill bloat problem is that new job quests unlock these things and have them sit on top of existing skills instead of adding new skills.

The biggest challenge I think for 4.0 is that they've painted themselves into a few corners to the point where they're going to need to suck it up and decide what part of the paint they want to walk on. I'm sure many people are itching to argue about how certain things I said here could NEVER happen because things are just so, but that's exactly the problem--just so needs to be adjusted in a few ways that will break some of the current paradigms in order to fix some of the problems.

The path of least resistance is of course still tenable, where 4.0 will be largely a rehash of the same formula of 2.0 and 3.0 and they solve the problem of having TWO longass story quests before the 4.0 story by throwing in a bunch more poo poo for new players, maybe even finding a way to let them start as the new jobs, but I really hope they crack eggs and break their paradigms a bit to fix some of the longrunning issues and to shake things up a bit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evader posted:

Less armor! BIGGER AXE!

Two axes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Evader posted:

Less armor! BIGGER AXE!

You don't do 'quick' changes for major parts of a game where changes have countless, and far-reaching, side effects for both server and client.

They'll also never add another class-based job if for no other reason than it'd mean players could have said job at max level immediately unless they add a new base class which is the exact opposite of what YoshiP and co want. Also see: SCH and SMN balance issues others mentioned.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

My hopes and dreams for 4.0:

* They add a system like Merit Points/Capacitance Points/Paragons so there's a point to getting XP at level cap while adding a more accessible grind than relic weapons

* Either they don't raise the level cap, instead introducing the prestige system, or use the job cratering as an excuse to jiggle skills around so that we don't have to come up with new keybinds or controllerbinds, because Heavensward already put that at a hard limit.

ESO has you covered if you want to play a game where new players cant catch up to the older players who started first.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The way to fix summoner/scholar is to just make the class summoner from the start and make scholar an extra job that unlocks at 30.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Just finished story mode HW, it was awesome. God King Space Pope with the knights of the round was hype as hell.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

* Dropping PS3 support allows the new classes to have more interesting mechanics and maybe even additional resources or convert existing things that use buff stacks to more helpful displays. Consider how WoW has a special resource bar for pretty much every class, for instance. Perhaps one way to solve the skill bloat problem is that new job quests unlock these things and have them sit on top of existing skills instead of adding new skills.

How do you do this and keep PS4 support? PS3 is fine, but dropping 4 is not.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
your obsession with a ui element that is used by 5% of the playerbase in wow is hilarious

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I kinda like the whole Class/Job thing as it's like how in FF1 you could promote to a better version of your starting jobs.

The way to fix it, I think, is to just cap your starting class at 30, to level further you have to level your job. And each Job has its own EXP bar and skill set that adds on to the class one. This allows new branching jobs without the SCH/SMN problem, and with this update SCH and SMN are split.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They already have a structure for classless jobs. Just move scholar over to that.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

ESO has you covered if you want to play a game where new players cant catch up to the older players who started first.

I don't think it should be a completely endless grind, and diminishing returns should play heavily into it so that it's relatively easy to get most of the big benefits without poopsocksing, and just like regular levels and MP/CP in 11, as time goes on you make it easier to catch up. If they keep the level cap at 60 and instead put in a system like this, it'd be a good excuse to not introduce additional skills and instead have what would be the job questline be about progressing through the new one and unlocking major categories and ability modifications.

Basically, having some kind of impossible thing for new players to catch up with is absolutely not the point of what I suggested and it's a ridiculously easy thing to design around, so there's not really a point in worrying about that. It WOULD, however, go with Yoshi-P's insinuations that he'd like more pathways for people to specialize into their main job, and have something vaguely resembling a skill tree type system with options.

This all said, it's also somewhat unlikely because it'd probably cause some character data bloating, unless they got really creative with their data structures.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

I kinda like the whole Class/Job thing as it's like how in FF1 you could promote to a better version of your starting jobs.
This was also, importantly, one way.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Just merge classes and jobs, but have it show the class name until you hit level 30 and do your job quest. So your a marauder until 30; then your always a warrior. No more class/job distinction, and you don't have to do poo poo to the story

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

have something vaguely resembling a skill tree type system with options.

I don't know why my damage is so low guys, I got all the talents to increase fracture damage. There is always PoE if you want people to play sub-par specs because they don't poopsock theorycraft builds.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Sometimes it seems like my max CP is literally a hundred higher than other times. Same class, same gear - it looks like I'm lower when I'm outside town? What gives? It's making some of these Ixal quests more of a pain in the rear end than they should be.

e: it looks like it's the factory buff giving -100 CP, is that a thing?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sometimes it seems like my max CP is literally a hundred higher than other times. Same class, same gear - it looks like I'm lower when I'm outside town? What gives? It's making some of these Ixal quests more of a pain in the rear end than they should be.

Read your buffs when you're crafting for the Ixali daily quests. There's one that lowers max CP, one that prevents cross class skills, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: it looks like it's the factory buff giving -100 CP, is that a thing?

Yup. Factory buffs either lower cp or restrict crossclass skills.

• Locked thread