Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Oh gently caress he's not in offline mode. Prepare for a poo poo ton of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Rorus Raz posted:

Donation machine is cheating :argh:

Some races ban the donation machine but it's legal in speedrunning.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
And here come the Steam invites!

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
he forgot to set himself offline nice

e: lmaooooooooooooo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

This is a completely random Roguelike, isn't it?

How do you even speedrun this? Just "know how to quickly handle anything that happens to come up"?

Rorus Raz posted:

BoI is a bad speed run game.

e: though you can get some very interesting runs/races if you use seeds imo.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

You have been invited to the ISLAMIC FURRIES!!! steam group.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

IronicDongz posted:

you can straight up pretty easily beat mom's heart without picking up anything, at all, just with how azazel is at start

that's why I laughed at resetting from the start. do you really need to start with an even greater advantage? you're bound to pick up a good item on the way anyways, and even if you don't who cares you're Azazel.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
"kill the faggots"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rorus Raz posted:

He's playing like the easiest character in the game. You start with flying and a broken weapon.
I should start speedrunning FTL on Easy with the Crystal Cruiser.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Would rather watch someone like Cobalt run this.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The problem with Isaac is that the fun is in the stupid randomness of it all and how you adapt to it. Speed runs will either be bad for marathons because you can risk getting a bad build and taking an hour to win, or you use seeds and they're boring as poo poo because you take like five minutes to get the most broken build and streamroll the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This guy is bad. He hasn't used his spacebar item at all even though the krampus head he got would destroy bosses and certain rooms instantly.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Haha the steam invites have ruined the game window

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This blue box obscuring the game does not seem the most elegant solution.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The reason Witwix makes so much money is he came up with that tiled blastoise emote which is probably the best sub emote on twitch.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Bubba Smith posted:

that's why I laughed at resetting from the start. do you really need to start with an even greater advantage? you're bound to pick up a good item on the way anyways, and even if you don't who cares you're Azazel.

Resetting for a strong item is clearly the best strategy to go super fast

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

The problem with Isaac is that the fun is in the stupid randomness of it all and how you adapt to it. Speed runs will either be bad for marathons because you can risk getting a bad build and taking an hour to win, or you use seeds and they're boring as poo poo because you take like five minutes to get the most broken build and streamroll the game.

Take for instance this run I had recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Ds9jNuiJw

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
"Ay-Zay-Zel"

What the hell...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The group invites make this the best Isaac run in a GDQ.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Which is why you reset for a strong item. Even starting on Isaac and factoring in resets the best runners will nearly always finish in under 20 minutes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Harlock posted:

Would rather watch someone like Cobalt run this.
Clearly Northernlion so we can have him sing 90s songs and make loving bizarre non sequiturs while he grabs the negative and goes to the Cathedral.

(in all seriousness he'd probably pull in a shitload of money)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

No Isaac players like it when the chat tells them what they missed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doubling back constantly for items left behind in the previous room is optimal speed strategies.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
This is my favorite game in the world and they did nothing to explain mechanics beyond mumbling about some items

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Boy I sure do love Isaac lore

It's edgy 15 year old fanfiction bruh be straight with us

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Eden run is a seed so this should be fine.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rorus Raz posted:

It's tammy brim, iirc. The only thing that could make this more boring

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

It will literally be under 4 minutes

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

donation reader is the lip smackiest

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Cool Buff Man posted:

This is my favorite game in the world and they did nothing to explain it beyond mumbling about some items

Yep. Same. I still don't think resetting with Azazel is the way to do speedruns. Just do a seeded run that's mostly balanced and show off your skills of clearing tough rooms.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

HoneyBoy posted:

Boy I sure do love Isaac lore

It's edgy 15 year old fanfiction bruh be straight with us
I'm not going to pretend the game's aesthetic isn't a dumb mix of memes and grossout humor, but the barebones plot of the game is about Ed's relationship with Catholicism as a kid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is the game beating itself really worthy of a round of applause?

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
"This is why we don't do seeded runs, because we just wouldn't be able to avoid picking one which gives us some of the best items in the game."

wow how cool!!!!!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oh, Tammy's Head and Brimstone. This will be a high skill run then. (no it won't that's like beyond easy mode)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

"This is why we don't do seeded runs, because we just wouldn't be able to avoid picking one which gives us some of the best items in the game."

wow how cool!!!!!
There is nothing fun or interesting about basically switching on godmode and oneshotting the game.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I don't really think you can call skipping a devil deal on purpose "RNG manipulation" if it's a seeded run. I'm just so mad and pedantic right now

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
On one hand this is stupid, on the other hand it's gloriously stupid. :allears:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Ugh, shame they had to do Isaac in this manner. They should have done it Balls of Steel style.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you're doing seeded runs for races and such, you probably shouldn't memorize it firsthand. Just saying.

e: tammy-brimstone is a nice use of 4 minutes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

do an isaac speedrun without resetting

• Locked thread