Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What's funny is that this is easily the best Isaac run of any GDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Rorus Raz posted:

What's funny is that this is easily the best Isaac run of any GDQ.

Sad but true.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Your Computer posted:

If you're doing seeded runs for races and such, you probably shouldn't memorize it firsthand. Just saying.

That's literally why they did that. They did that because everyone told them to do seeded runs and they said "yeah that's stupid, here's why" and did that as a response.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

That's literally why they did that. They did that because everyone told them to do seeded runs and they said "yeah that's stupid, here's why" and did that as a response.

But... it wouldn't be stupid if they didn't memorize it? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

President Ark posted:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Bubba Smith posted:

Yep. Same. I still don't think resetting with Azazel is the way to do speedruns. Just do a seeded run that's mostly balanced and show off your skills of clearing tough rooms.

Obviously it's different than other speedruns but that's how it goes.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

President Ark posted:

That's not quite the same as someone else finding a seed with an instant start and the runner not knowing exactly what the map is

e: but seeded races are stupid anyways

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Giving both runners in a race a random seed and letting them both practice it beforehand could be cool. You see, that would involve demonstrating skill at the game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Your Computer posted:

But... it wouldn't be stupid if they didn't memorize it? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

If they don't explore a seeded run or know anything about it then what is the point of using a seed???

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's not quite the same as someone else finding a seed with an instant start and the runner not knowing exactly what the map is

Ya. The way to do it would be to have someone else pick the seed beforehand, determine that it's good, and hand it off to the runner.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Your Computer posted:

If you're doing seeded runs for races and such, you probably shouldn't memorize it firsthand. Just saying.

e: tammy-brimstone is a nice use of 4 minutes though.

Seeded races are bad for Isaac because screen peeking is a big thing. You can tell if they go the wrong way, if their shop sucks, etc. Also some seeds would be really brutal.

We've done seeded races for Necrodancer and it's pretty cool though.

pumpinglemma posted:

Giving both runners in a race a random seed and letting them both practice it beforehand could be cool. You see, that would involve demonstrating skill at the game.

People prefer racing unseeded because adapting on the fly is the best part of the game. Also there will be a bunch of races in one tourney

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I'm pretty sure the goal of a speedrun is "beat game in fastest time possible" and part of that is getting a good seed and memorizing what you need to do with that seed to do just that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If they don't explore a seeded run or know anything about it then what is the point of using a seed???
It ensures that the run has a decent enough item pool, I guess.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

orteil spotted

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If all you have to do to speedrun Issac is restart until you get an OP combo as Azazel then I can do it. See you guys at AGDQ!

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

to make it a proper race? last year they both ran on different seeds, it makes more sense for both racers to be on the same track.

still would have been boring though.

E: Surely there is no way to prevent screenlooking. Absolutely

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
They should do a race between two guys using a seed made up on the spot because those are actually fun to watch and not foregone conclusions because they reset the first level a hundred times.

Kraden
Mar 22, 2010

President Ark posted:

What's stopping them from grabbing a seed from a random number generator or something like that right before the race starts? Everyone gets the same seed, no one gets a chance to memorize perfect routing before that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

They would be running the same course, are you even asking this? :confused:

As for a speedrun, have someone (even the community) find a seed that balances items in a way that gives the run some difficulty while also going decently fast.

jackofarcades posted:

Seeded races are bad for Isaac because screen peeking is a big thing. You can tell if they go the wrong way, if their shop sucks, etc.

It's 20 loving 15, we can separate the runners with a piece of cardboard, jesus.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
A lot of the skill in Isaac is based on your decision making. They've already come up with a really good ruleset in Balls of Steel, I hope that makes it to AGDQ.

Edit: Like they ran about a hundred races and 90% of them ended under 30 mins.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seeded Isaac isn't very fun when the enjoyment comes off dealing with what you get and taking chances now and then. If you know you're going to get a tammys head brimstone cool I guess.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

do an isaac speedrun without resetting

What's funny to me about it is that BoI really isn't hard enough that people who play it as much as streamers and SGDQ people do shouldn't be able to just speed run Mom's Heart or something with pretty much any seed and not die

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Aurora posted:

do an isaac speedrun without resetting

There is a character called Eden that you literally can't reset. The problem is if you want to win sometimes like this you have to go slow to survive.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Your Computer posted:

As for a speedrun, have someone (even the community) find a seed that balances items in a way that gives the run some difficulty while also going decently fast.

It's 20 loving 15, we can separate the runners with a piece of cardboard, jesus.

I'll be honest, I wasn't even aware people were talking about racing Isaac competitively here since that is not what was going on at this GDQ, but I also still disagree with using seeded runs, even if you have seeds picked by some impartial third party arbiter. However, it doesn't affect me much since I don't race Isaac, either, so I'm just happy for the community that they have a system that works for them.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

What's funny to me about it is that BoI really isn't hard enough that people who play it as much as streamers and SGDQ people do shouldn't be able to just speed run Mom's Heart or something with pretty much any seed and not die

No poo poo, the same people also do very high streaks. Slack had over 100 straight wins on hard mode right after the game came out. But 1) nobody runs to the loving heart and 2) why would you not reset if 1 minute of resetting can save you like 10 minutes?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

:siren: Big Jon is next :siren:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kraden posted:

What's stopping them from grabbing a seed from a random number generator or something like that right before the race starts? Everyone gets the same seed, no one gets a chance to memorize perfect routing before that.

this is the purpose of seeded races, the BOI people are idiots

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
I don't necessarily think it makes a great speed run to watch, probably fun to play though.

It probably brings in a buttload of money for charity though so, eh.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Your Computer posted:

You can't do that when you're racing online, which is why nobody does it. Isaac racing online is pretty popular, getting thousands of viewers every week.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Rorus Raz posted:

darkwing duck and kid icarus first, but after that yes

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

No, he's after Kid Icarus

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I just feel like either running to the heart or using a seed shows more skill and is more interesting than resetting over and over and relying on getting good RNG as soon as possible. Did you start with tammy+brim? Congratulations, you got the world record for all time, since you literally can't get a better setup. Nice RNG.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Nativity In Black posted:

There is a character called Eden that you literally can't reset. The problem is if you want to win sometimes like this you have to go slow to survive.

I know who Eden is, I'm talking about not doing the "reset azazel until op item"

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Internet Kraken posted:

If all you have to do to speedrun Issac is restart until you get an OP combo as Azazel then I can do it. See you guys at AGDQ!

That's what I was trying to say. When the run started and he had Curse of the Blind I thought "oh this could be interesting" and then he reset the game and :what:

I get why they do it but it's probably the dumbest way to showcase BoI. It doesn't show off good playing, interesting builds, or other stuff that makes the game fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The thing is this guy didn't even do this as fast as possible. He wasted time picking up items he didn't need after getting his OP combo and dropped a really good spacebar item in exchange for one he barely even used. He could of saved a bunch of time but didn't, so why is he running the game?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jackofarcades posted:

You can't do that when you're racing online, which is why nobody does it. Isaac racing online is pretty popular, getting thousands of viewers every week.

It would still be obvious and anyone doing it would be shunned and not invited to further races? :confused: I just think "the community is poo poo" is a weird argument against seeds.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Oh hey Kid Icarus is next that's cool always wondered why nobody seemed to speedrun it.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
No one wants to run BOI with a fixed seed because the interesting part of the game is dealing with the RNG. If you take out the situational decision making it's actually a pretty boring game.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I almost never hide the chat but this is one of the very few times ive had to do it, holy christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Both of those runs were significantly better at showing off important things about the way people actually speedrun this fun but dumb game than any other run at a GDQ so far. And this interview does good things to explain the thoughts behind it, so that's a positive step at least.

• Locked thread