Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reasons Roche is better than every other character

1. devilishly handsome
2. no other reason necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So when is 1.08 out? I haven't been able to play hardly at all since 1.07 came out.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I just bought this game after a lot of people convinced me to get it.

What should I keep in mind, like stuff not to do before I do XXX, places to check out, and I guess tips and tricks to get by that would take me forever to learn myself?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Soulex posted:

What should I keep in mind, like stuff not to do before I do XXX, places to check out, and I guess tips and tricks to get by that would take me forever to learn myself?

Starter zone poo poo.

The first 5-8 levels are in general the toughest, do all the side quests in the starting zone before doing the griffin, should be around level 4 when you do it. Just dodge more then you think you need too and be especially wary of drowners. upgrade your swords early on, there is a sidequest that nets you 2 good witcher gear swords in the starting zone, one of the ?'s on the map in the southern end of the starting area. Make Swallow early on (sidequest from an herbalist chick), and upgrade your starting armor at the blacksmith. the swordsmith is up at the nilfgardian garrison.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Soulex posted:

I would just play at not worry about it, honestly. You might miss one or two things in the huge 100 hour game (spoilers: you're going to regardless), but not a whole lot. If a character is a main story "name in green" character, pay more attention to their side quests.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would just play at not worry about it, honestly. You might miss one or two things in the huge 100 hour game (spoilers: you're going to regardless), but not a whole lot. If a character is a main story "name in green" character, pay more attention to their side quests.

I figure everything I missed will just add "new things" to the replayabilty next time!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

tbh, i think giving people a heads up for the starting zone is better, that way they do not miss out of key concepts like the guy who was here earlier this week who was using an axe as his steel weapon at like level 14

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Did the quest where you kill all those monsters (Velen's Most Wanted?) get fixed?

i had the bug where the werewolf wont die

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Starter zone poo poo.

The first 5-8 levels are in general the toughest, do all the side quests in the starting zone before doing the griffin, should be around level 4 when you do it. Just dodge more then you think you need too and be especially wary of drowners. upgrade your swords early on, there is a sidequest that nets you 2 good witcher gear swords in the starting zone, one of the ?'s on the map in the southern end of the starting area. Make Swallow early on (sidequest from an herbalist chick), and upgrade your starting armor at the blacksmith. the swordsmith is up at the nilfgardian garrison.

Thanks for this. So heavy emphasis on dodging then? Gonna make me switch my normal face tanking mode.

Not worried about 100% completion, more like a "there's a sword that makes you fart to propel you instead of sprinting" thing that I'd want. Like vanity items with goofy stuff. I'm all about being a strange weird person in the game and try stuff. I'm really into loving off around the game and the like. Not gonna barrel through it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Soulex posted:

Thanks for this. So heavy emphasis on dodging then? Gonna make me switch my normal face tanking mode.

Not worried about 100% completion, more like a "there's a sword that makes you fart to propel you instead of sprinting" thing that I'd want. Like vanity items with goofy stuff. I'm all about being a strange weird person in the game and try stuff. I'm really into loving off around the game and the like. Not gonna barrel through it.

just for the start, till you get used to it. the drowners hit real hard at early levels and use combos you need to memorize. against humans you can parry their attacks as well, against monsters its all dodging. if you played bloodborne you are already most of the way there, you just have to learn how this game uses 2 dodges, a quick sidestep like bloodborne and a big roll. the sidestep works for 90% of enemies, but every now and then there is something that uses bigger sweeping attacks and you need to roll to cover more ground.

In general this game is not meant to be tanked, though at higher levels you pretty much can.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

tbh, i think giving people a heads up for the starting zone is better, that way they do not miss out of key concepts like the guy who was here earlier this week who was using an axe as his steel weapon at like level 14

Is there even rare versions of non swords? I don't think I ever equipped anything but a sword the whole time because everything else was poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There was a short window where an axe was my best steel weapon. The best part was the durability never went down, shame they fixed that bug. Durability was not a good idea at all since its only effect is making you watch load screens a bunch more.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

NESguerilla posted:

Is there even rare versions of non swords? I don't think I ever equipped anything but a sword the whole time because everything else was poo poo.

I used a pretty powerful poker I got from the guy in Carnal Sins (I think)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Krime posted:

I used a pretty powerful poker I got from the guy in Carnal Sins (I think)

I'm glad you repurposed the hot metal stick of prostitute torture to do some good - it is redeemed.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You know what I want? It's not NG+.

It's upgrades to the starting Kaer Morhen armour.

You won't get away this easily Comte!

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Has anyone gotten 1.08 yet? GOG hasn't updated yet for me.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I can't do Cave of Dreams because the quest in Arinbjorn won't start (not a big deal since it's like my third playthrough so I've already seen it), and I won't get Complete Them All because it won't pop after I get all the gwent cards from High Stakes (also not a big deal because I already got the achievement). I don't see either of these as THAT big of a deal since I'll just be doing them again when 1.08 and NG+ come out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why were min levels on gear changed?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Any workarounds for that Vernon Roche bug where he won't interact with you in the camp?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Questions:

Does food/drink stack? If I drink two waters, does it double the regen rate? The time appears to be the same regardless.

Does all food regen by the same amount?

What's the difference between poison and bleed?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Soulex posted:

The best aspects of Witcher 3 are the world building, dialogue, characters, and writing. Even on the hardest difficulty settings, there isn't much point in trying to powergame, sperg about skill/ability setups, grind out XP, find the fat loot. The level progression is kinda weird, for example quests will go gray in your log when you're too far past the recommended level to complete them, but just ignore that. You'll get a token 5 XP instead of the 50 XP or whatever, but try to get in the mindset of quests being Cool Things To Do and don't obsess about completing everything when it's in the appropriate level range to maximize XP/loot.

Just wander around and do whatever strikes you as interesting and fun. It's basically a game full of awesome, well-written and varied sidequests.

As far as specific tips and tricks:

1) remember you have a pretty versatile arsenal of tools at your disposal. Swords, Signs, oils, potions, decoctions, crossbow. Your Bestiary entries give details on which options are most effective against the various monsters, so if you're having trouble, come prepared!
2) Gwent is a pretty decent mini-game but totally optional. You miss out on a Gwent tournament quest but that's not a big deal. Don't be afraid to skip it if you don't find it interesting.
3) there isn't really a point in looting all the random peasant hovels and barrels and poo poo. Treasure chests and obviously important containers will have good loot but you won't miss any super special secret items by not obsessively scavenging every shack.
4) when you craft an alchemy item such as potions or bombs, you'll get an item with a number of charges on it. Meditating will recharge all your alchemy stuff at the cost of one hard alcohol, so you only need to craft alchemy items once. There's no need to pick every flower you stumble across as you don't have to re-craft alchemy items and you can always buy reagents cheaply from vendors.
5) remember you have to slot a skill in an open ability slot in order for it to have an effect. Simply buying points in a skill won't do anything without slotting it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Soulex posted:

The crossbow that you get a bit into the game can be used to mostly 1 shot monsters in the water.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poetic Justice posted:

The crossbow that you get a bit into the game can be used to mostly 1 shot monsters in the water.

That reminds me, I hate sailing around Skellegar because of all those sirens. I swear, 90% of my travel time was spent underwater shooting those fuckers.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
For those having problems with Skellige's most wanted:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...l=1#post1868300

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Soulex posted:

Buy every single gwent card you see.

Specifically make sure to buy every card the innkeeper in white orchard has. You can't go back and show there after you kill the griffin and gently caress off

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Buy every single gwent card you see.

Specifically make sure to buy every card the innkeeper in white orchard has. You can't go back and show there after you kill the griffin and gently caress off
The merchant you rescue from the Griffin now has her cards in stock after she leaves.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ravenfood posted:

The merchant you rescue from the Griffin now has her cards in stock after she leaves.

also later in Novigrad she calls you a murderer for killing "innocent" boys who drew a sword on you in her bar after their leader smashed her face in. Screw her.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ravenfood posted:

Not on PS4 yet, but it's apparently addressed in the 1.08 patch notes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

On pc. As far as I know, there is no workaround at all for ps4. Both people I know who have it on xboxone say that patch 1.07 completely broke the game an made it unplayably crashy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Filthy Hans posted:

Not on PS4 yet, but it's apparently addressed in the 1.08 patch notes

I have a PS4 and I was able to get them from him well before 1.08.
:confused:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

That reminds me, I hate sailing around Skellegar because of all those sirens. I swear, 90% of my travel time was spent underwater shooting those fuckers.

Just wait until they latch onto your boat then one shot them. No more getting out and diving to do it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JetsGuy posted:

I have a PS4 and I was able to get them from him well before 1.08.
:confused:

He just had a sword I had no use for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krime posted:

Just wait until they latch onto your boat then one shot them. No more getting out and diving to do it.

They always tear the side off before I can stop driving :smith:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

This just seems stupid. They can't push a patch to Galaxy, their OWN distribution service?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

They always tear the side off before I can stop driving :smith:

I don't think you even have to stop to shoot.

I've got my boat munched on a few times but more often than not I got them before any damage was done.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Krime posted:

I don't think you even have to stop to shoot.

I've got my boat munched on a few times but more often than not I got them before any damage was done.

unless im doing something really wrong you cant shoot when driving the boat.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

poopzilla posted:

unless im doing something really wrong you cant shoot when driving the boat.
you are doing something really wrong.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

cams posted:

you are doing something really wrong.

well alright then

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

poopzilla posted:

well alright then

Don't feel bad. I figured it out literally the last time I was in a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I never figured that out. I would just stop driving and then counter-kill them one by one.

I also didn't figure out you could use the crossbow underwater until I read it somewhere out of game.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 31, 2015