Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Stop the spread of the plague. Destroy the people of Strathholme. It is the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ofaloaf posted:

oh god i hosed up i hosed up

I didn't notice that my health services were spread thin until I looked back over my city and noticed blocks of sick people. I have an obscene amount of money, so I've been laying down a bunch of hospitals near the most illness-afflicted neighborhoods. Even though my heal capacity is now greater than the number of sick people in my city, the sick population is still increasing. If I'm willing to pump bajillions of moneys into dealing with the problem, what's the best thing to do at this point?
Gonna go out on a limb and say stop serving your people with poop and/or industrial run off by removing your water intakes from polluted areas.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ofaloaf posted:

oh god i hosed up i hosed up

I didn't notice that my health services were spread thin until I looked back over my city and noticed blocks of sick people. I have an obscene amount of money, so I've been laying down a bunch of hospitals near the most illness-afflicted neighborhoods. Even though my heal capacity is now greater than the number of sick people in my city, the sick population is still increasing. If I'm willing to pump bajillions of moneys into dealing with the problem, what's the best thing to do at this point?

It sounds like you've got drinking water contamination, so unless you fix that you're going to have an endless cascade of corpses.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's up to 1900 sick with a healing capacity of 2600, as opposed to the 1600 and 2100 when I first posted.

Demolition isn't stopping it. If I shutter all my firehouses, will fire cleanse the city?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Demolition isn't stopping it. If I shutter all my firehouses, will fire cleanse the city?
Yes.

ToastyPotato posted:

Stop the spread of the plague. Destroy the people of Strathholme. It is the only way.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It sounds like you've got drinking water contamination, so unless you fix that you're going to have an endless cascade of corpses.

Oh son of a bitch! Development upriver narrowed the riverbed just enough, when new buildings auto-leveled out their zoned areas, to cause a flood downriver, causing the polluted river to spill over into an area where there was a water tower.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does anyone else find Water Towers as a water source a bit odd? That's not what they do.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
They should make water towers service a large area around them. Maybe with some overlapping towers needed when you have big buildings that use lots of water.

And then you only build water pipes from pumps to water tower to outflow... not a boring zero gameplay grid all over the map.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Gort posted:

Does anyone else find Water Towers as a water source a bit odd? That's not what they do.

Next you are going to tell me that windmills are not actually producing wind.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Do any of y'all know of a high capacity cargo train terminal mod? I've got an oil field feeding into a cargo terminal, and the trains are getting awfully backed up waiting. The one line feeding into the terminal is nowhere near enough.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Why not just build a second line?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a reason why there's always a crazy big mass death at around 40,000 that brings me back down to 30? I've never been able to figure out how to get out of it or keep it evened out. Is it just the proportional number of old people in my community dying off?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Gort posted:

We don't have these at all in my country. What DO they do?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think what happens is that your city gets to about 40K about six years after the city becomes profitable and enters the growth phase. So at some point in the growth phase you build out 10,000 cims worth of city over say, three months, and then six years later they all die at the same time which causes the crash.

There is, of course, a mod to fix this, that randomly kills cims before they turn 6, to even out population age and rate of death.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ineptitude posted:

We don't have these at all in my country. What DO they do?

They are for water pressure in places where the water source is not high up. In Norway for example, all the sources are lakes higher up in the terrain, giving enough pressure without towers. In Denmark however, they get the water from below the ground, and to save money on giant pumps to give pressure for a big area, they pump it high up into a tower and let gravity do it for them. Water towers are also usually(always?) the highest thing in the city/area.
Fairly sure that's how it works, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They're also used as local water resivoirs, in Texas water is pumped from giant artificial lakes to cities who then warehouse the water in giant water towers above ground to make sure water is available during peak demand locally. All the major population centers in east and central Texas are linked together and pump water where it's needed from the various man made lakes throughout the state, but you still need that local surge capacity in the form of water towers. In very rural areas water is pumped directly out of the ground and in to the city water tower for the local water system.

I think in hillier areas they just put water tanks above ground and on top or near the top of hills.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Really, the skylines buildings should've been called bores.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dunno-Lars posted:

They are for water pressure in places where the water source is not high up. In Norway for example, all the sources are lakes higher up in the terrain, giving enough pressure without towers. In Denmark however, they get the water from below the ground, and to save money on giant pumps to give pressure for a big area, they pump it high up into a tower and let gravity do it for them. Water towers are also usually(always?) the highest thing in the city/area.
Fairly sure that's how it works, please correct me if I'm wrong.
You got all the important parts, but as Hadlock mentions they are more to even out peak demand with the idea that pumps are most economically run at one speed. Its strictly more energy to get water into the towers on the way to customers, but it lets you buy pumps for the average water use. When use outdoes the pumps and customers would start having pressure issues, the tower starts draining to help. When use is low, the pumps keep on going to fill the tower.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

DoubleNegative posted:

Do any of y'all know of a high capacity cargo train terminal mod? I've got an oil field feeding into a cargo terminal, and the trains are getting awfully backed up waiting. The one line feeding into the terminal is nowhere near enough.

You don't build a needle eye? :stare:

Don't emulate my other terrible traffic decisions at least :negative: but do try that; I've never had problems with backed up trains

I really need to just loving turn it into a civilian terminal and export all my industry out east.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'll be getting a Core i5-4460 @3.2 GHz. Would that be sufficient for running this game, since it's a pretty CPU intensive game?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

DrSunshine posted:

I'll be getting a Core i5-4460 @3.2 GHz. Would that be sufficient for running this game, since it's a pretty CPU intensive game?

Earlier someone posted like a 16-core beast that was still getting thrashed by Cities *by an especially large city*; as far as I can tell there is basically no upper limit on processors re: this game if you want to build something really huge.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DrSunshine posted:

It'll work up to what most sane people consider a city size ready for retirement.

There are gains to be made with an i7 for larger cities and/or traffic algorithm mods, but that doesn't really divorce it from the idea that home PC i7s are for crazy people with very specific and weird use cases.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Cool! That's all I needed to know, thanks! I just enjoy these spergy simulation-type games with thousands of different independent actors, so I just wanted to make sure my computer wouldn't chug under reasonable conditions. Thank you all!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you like simulation games and you don't upgrade very often you should give serious thought to the i7, modern simulation games lean heavily on multithreading and more cores will always give you more performance in properly designed multithreaded applications. Less useful for standard AAA games though as they're mostly optimized for 4 cores. Also if you can wait like, 60 days, Skylake will be out and you should buy that instead of haswell/Broadwell.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So I played this a bit when it came out and haven't touched it since, are there any particularly cool mods/modpacks that are worth using or good for improving usability?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Tons of mods in the OP.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Cool! That's all I needed to know, thanks! I just enjoy these spergy simulation-type games with thousands of different independent actors, so I just wanted to make sure my computer wouldn't chug under reasonable conditions. Thank you all!

I've gotten up to 600k with this:

I just bought new computer parts so I can game in this decade.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I've been mucking around a bit with compound curves and some basic road geometry math to try and get more realistic interchanges in C:S.

:dogbutton:

God drat do you need a lot of space for even relatively simple interchanges

The top-left one's loop has got a design speed of around 50kmh, so the tightest curve's radius = 24 cells = 192m in-game. On top of that, basically every non-loop connector needs to be smooth, smoother, smoothest; which leads to those 90° turns in the bottom-right interchange being made up of three 18:12/12:12/12:18 turns @ 30°. Designed for 90-100kmh.

I'm probably going to stop with this poo poo right here because anything more than a T interchange or god forbid non-symmetrical layouts are going to be wayyy too much work.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lorini posted:

Tons of mods in the OP.

That hasn't been updated since May though, haven't there been updates and poo poo since that might break them/replicate their functionality?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

BBJoey posted:

That hasn't been updated since May though, haven't there been updates and poo poo since that might break them/replicate their functionality?

I haven't checked them all, but the main ones like Traffic++ should still work. Look at the list and then tell us what you think you might think you'd want to try, and then we can tell you if it's still updated or you can check the update on the mod and the patch list on Steam. There are over 40,000 mods for Citylines, so trying to evaluate all of them is not going to happen.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You can go to the workshop pages of the relevant mods and check to see if they are up to date or not.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

BBJoey posted:

Modding for this game seems to have slowed down quite a bit.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Mandalay posted:

Modding for this game seems to have slowed down quite a bit.

I played a ton at release and then decided I'd wait a year or two until there's some mega-modpack that bundles all the good stuff together. Holding out hope that something like that happens.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

I swear I have the exact same configuration in one of my maps. Go go turbine interchanges.

Turbines are probably my favorite

ThePutty posted:

so i'm really poo poo at road design

i've done something horribly wrong, it's just figuring out what

You gotta use more arterial road design. Little roads feed onto bigger roads which feed onto your major avenues. The major avenues should ideally have as few connections as is reasonable to keep traffic flowing (not a hard and fast rule though feel free to connect a small road to a major avenue once in a while as necessary).

Pick two spots at random in your city and think about how easy or how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to drive that in real life. If I was in Prospect Heights trying to get to Orchard Heights I'd be cursing up a storm by the end of it and I'd definitely need a GPS.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
So, I want to put really huge trees in my cities. Like, Fantasy style "world tree" huge. Does anyone have any advice other than just boosting the scale on existing tree mods? They look ok, but the LOD distance makes them go blurry unless you're really close up.

I just want some skyscraper trees!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wish there were more small parks in the workshop. I don't care if scale is weird, it just sucks having parks take a huge part of land.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Avocados posted:

I wish there were more small parks in the workshop. I don't care if scale is weird, it just sucks having parks take a huge part of land.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=475817334 ? :confused:

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
havent played this in a while. Have they fixed it so your commuters actually use all the lanes you build for them or are you still encouraged to build with the idea that they'll never ever pass each other in mind?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They do not, no. Also, commuters will always take the shortest path to wherever they're going regardless of traffic, making traffic congestion almost completely unavoidable still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Almost completely unavoidable if you're a scrub :colbert:

Passing is inefficient anyway if all cars are going max speed. Just keep trucks off of major thoroughfares.