Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I will play wildstar f2p, unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
is that gross or profit

because one is way, way worse

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

is that gross or profit

Its just sales so its gross.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
The reddit thread on the earnings report has some actual discussion going on, I'm impressed.

It also has this:

quote:

I could see how that would be very frustrating. I like to raid in MMOs, but Wildstar's raids really don't do it for me.

That being said, I like Timetravel not because of his development for raids, but because he and Moja seem to be two of the very few competent and honest PvP developers. I'm not sure what's going on over at Carbine Studios, but Meerkat and Hildogen have both fallen face first when it comes to actually producing something worthwhile for PvP.

That, and he's personable. I'd rather have a charismatic developer who makes mistakes and takes feedback on it, rather than some silent / goofy dev who can't be asked to even explain their ideas in a timely manner.

:laffo: Maybe Timetravel has done some stuff where he didn't seem like a colossal rear end, but everything I've seen/heard through this thread makes him seem like a jerkbag.

e; The lesson to be learned from all of this is that no matter how badly you have hosed up, you have probably not hosed up as badly as Wildstar.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yes, because the charismatic rockstar frontman dev has worked out so well in the past and is a thing to be emulated.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

sword_man.gif posted:

is that gross or profit

It's gross.

So yeah that shakes out to slightly more than half a million a month in gross income before expenditures.

Unless Carbine is ten dudes or less who aren't being paid very well, Wildstar is hemorrhaging money at this point.

edit: check that, my math was silly

carbine could probably support 20 or even 30 people on that monthly income!

(maybe)

edit:

no but seriously, I do wonder what the internal politics look like at this point

NCSoft does not hesitate to shut down underperformers, especially overseas, so whoever is still at Carbine must be pitching their hearts out over F2P or whatever. And with Gaffney long gone, I'm not even sure who's in control over there anymore

I also wonder how big Carbine is now, because for real, that monthly income could maybe support 25 to 30 developers at comfortable, semi-competitive salaries, plus other expenditures. Carbine does not want to be a 10-20 man mom 'n pop developer, they want to be a 100+ Blizzard-like because that's the environment the original founders knew. you don't support that kind of studio on an income of half a million bucks a month

hopefully someday we get a tell-all about the internal politics of Wildstar, because this sort of thing fascinates me and what's gone on behind the scenes must be stunning

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 1, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I hope Cyster is okay. :ohdear:

Or has a second job.

Or an entirely new job lined up.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Anoia posted:

I hope Cyster is okay. :ohdear:

Or has a second job.

Or an entirely new job lined up.

Lmao if she doesn't.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Stay safe from Poverty Ghost, Cyster.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Do anything you can to get out of Carbine Cyster, you are cool.

futile
May 18, 2009
I like this thread. It's an 86 page therapy session for goons to come and poo poo all over Wildstar and Carbine while they come to terms with the fact they'll never get that $60 back. Not ever. Those guys might be incompetent, poo poo, horrible, and worthless, but in the end they still got our money.

Just kidding I didn't play this poo poo game.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

futile posted:

I like this thread. It's an 86 page therapy session for goons to come and poo poo all over Wildstar and Carbine while they come to terms with the fact they'll never get that $60 back. Not ever. Those guys might be incompetent, poo poo, horrible, and worthless, but in the end they still got our money.

I thought this was the "suck off Final Fantasy and Guild Wars as hard as you can" thread. An easy mistake to make though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

It's gross.

So yeah that shakes out to slightly more than half a million a month in gross income before expenditures.

Unless Carbine is ten dudes or less who aren't being paid very well, Wildstar is hemorrhaging money at this point.

edit: check that, my math was silly

carbine could probably support 20 or even 30 people on that monthly income!

(maybe)

If you count things like utilities and office space then they wouldn't be able to support 20 mid salary employees with 600k in revenue and last I heard they ballooned in size before getting axed down some. I think they still had somewhere between 100 and 150 employees.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

futile posted:

Star Citizen thread is thataway.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

SpaceDrake posted:

hopefully someday we get a tell-all about the internal politics of Wildstar, because this sort of thing fascinates me and what's gone on behind the scenes must be stunning

I really wish this would happen with a failed MMO like Wildstar, Vanguard or the countless other games that have failed. MMOs are such massive project with huge staffs, frequently lead by some weirdo with a big ego but no management skills. On top of that these games tends to cultivate communities that need careful management or they will just about go insane and do their damnedest to burn the whole thing down. Watching these games fail is kind of intriguing, and an honest tell all from someone in upper management is definitely something I would buy.

Of course, that wont happen since it seems like the golden rule for upper management is that as long as you dont criticize anyone else there will always be a job waiting for you some where, no matter how bad you gently caress up.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The term "failing upwards" gets applied to such project leads a lot, and it's depressingly apt.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
Had a close one - I tried the free trial and really enjoyed it. Then I hopped on the internet and realized I'm supposed to hate this game. Uninstalled that poo poo immediately.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

central posted:

Had a close one - I tried the free trial and really enjoyed it. Then I hopped on the internet and realized I'm supposed to hate this game. Uninstalled that poo poo immediately.

That's the thing: There is bits that are great, but with idiocy from carbine the game has made too many stupid things for that to matter.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
after a whole loving year I finally get attuned to the piece of poo poo first raid. Hardcore as gently caress cupcake.

and after a year the first raid is still having problems. Someone said in chat that one of the bosses glitched out and it took them 17 minutes to kill it. HARDCORE.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

noELrunes posted:

after a whole loving year I finally get attuned to the piece of poo poo first raid. Hardcore as gently caress cupcake.

and after a year the first raid is still having problems. Someone said in chat that one of the bosses glitched out and it took them 17 minutes to kill it. HARDCORE.

Playing Wildstar for a year is a really strange way of ruining yourself. Most people just drink themselves to death or go on one huge coke fueled bender and get it over with.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

SumYungGui posted:

Playing Wildstar for a year is a really strange way of ruining yourself. Most people just drink themselves to death or go on one huge coke fueled bender and get it over with.

I stopped playing for nearly 6 months and came back and got a lucky string of people looking to do the world bosses and that "hidden" boss in one of the dungeons. Otherwise I'd just log in, talk poo poo and log out.

The game has really gone down in the shitter and people were wondering if F2P will save it (it won't)

They were talking about playing other MMO's like ToS and FF 14 though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
You came back to Wildstar voluntarily, and paid for it. Should probably give that drinking yourself to death thing another look.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Morglon posted:

I thought this was the "suck off Final Fantasy and Guild Wars as hard as you can" thread. An easy mistake to make though.

My god, I have learned in this past year to never mention you didn't like FFXIV to goons who play it. They never shut up about it.

Deki fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 2, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Deki posted:

My god, I have learned in this past year to never mention you didn't like FFXIV to goons who play it. They never shut up about it.

Don't mention Final Fantasy at all, just to be safe.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Deki posted:

Why the gently caress don't you like ffxiv. Idiot

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I can understand not trying it, but you are a dumb fuuk if you think it's bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anime allergy is a serious condition.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
This is just sad

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/128986-ive-bought-9-copies-of-wildstar-this-week/

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

I can understand not trying it, but you are a dumb fuuk if you think it's bad

All mumorpurgers are bad

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

qnqnx posted:

All mumorpurgers are bad

Oh hey Yahtzee.

It's true though, they are and by design.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Byolante posted:

So they have done plants vs zombies, harvest moon and now farmville. Whats next, puzzle and dragons?

Pandemic but with the undead plague.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Picking up those boxes for a 50% discount on your monthly sub is pretty reasonable really. Buying 20 months worth of subscription for a game that is going f2p very soon though? What on earth is wrong with these people?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
One might argue that even when it does a subscription at that price could still be a decent bonus people who play a lot might want. Of course all of that is assuming that the f2p conversion will not be total poo poo and actually save the game.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Morglon posted:

One might argue that even when it does a subscription at that price could still be a decent bonus people who play a lot might want. Of course all of that is assuming that the f2p conversion will not be total poo poo and actually save the game.

Their answer to the confusing stat system was to make stats even more confusing, so now it's not so much a question of if they gently caress up F2P as how badly they gently caress it up.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well some people still seem to like it and at this point I firmly believe that nothing short of Carbine thugs actually breaking into their homes and literally burning them alive will stop them from liking it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

BigPaddy posted:

Pandemic but with the undead plague.

I'd be completely okay with this.

Now, which location in Azeroth is Madagascar?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Shadowlyger posted:

Duotar

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shadowlyger posted:

That island off the coast of the barrens with the punchsports that I have no idea what its for because I never made an alliance character.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://twitter.com/micahwhipple/status/628234799535165442

Micah Whipple is former Blizzard CM Bashiok. Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

30.5 Days posted:

https://twitter.com/micahwhipple/status/628234799535165442

Micah Whipple is former Blizzard CM Bashiok. Discuss.

Bashiok's first ever post on the official forums was to give me a 3 day probation for leading a forum invasion of the next realm forum down alphabetically.

• Locked thread