Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Zopotantor posted:

There's a guy across the street on the roof, doing something unspeakable to a chimney. I can't see any PPE. :stare:

lovely image because I don't want to be conspicuous:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33729664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Three-Phase posted:

Is that a power/energy metering unit? The ones I've seen you connect line and load side, but you never do something like that where the insulator is punched through...

Yeah it's a power meter. I've never actually seen them installed but the design is so retarded I saved this. The manual doesn't even mention armored cables.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nalesh posted:

I'm just reminded of this video

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Assassin's Creed: Homeowner looking good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Of course he's Scottish.

Of course he is. :negative:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

How do you even get the screw in there without getting electrocuted or causing a fire or something.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm assuming that it's balanced on the hydraulic arm so if nothing else it's not going to unexpectedly fall on him unless he does something stupid like disconnect all the hydraulics so the arm has no strength in it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

tacodaemon posted:

And yeah, that last pic shows the door by the stage that the volunteer bouncers wouldn't let people exit through.

To be fair, it does have a sign saying to keep it closed at all times.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'm assuming that it's balanced on the hydraulic arm so if nothing else it's not going to unexpectedly fall on him unless he does something stupid like disconnect all the hydraulics so the arm has no strength in it.

Or if whatever the arm is resting on gives out.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

fisting by many posted:

The hook is the wrong way.
Indeed it is. That makes two safety violations!

du -hast posted:

How do you even get the screw in there without getting electrocuted or causing a fire or something.

Every drill has a plastic cog in the transmission. Although this part is prone to breaking, it helps you not getting electrocuted or loving up the drill/battery if you should "accidentally" drill into a power source.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Hydraulic pressure loss is a common failure on these systems, in which the guy is pretty much toast.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Hydraulic pressure loss is a common failure on these systems, in which the guy is pretty much toast.

Typically a slow bleed over time as the machine is turned off, but still you wouldn't catch me under that fucker unless it was on some solid chocks. Fuuuuck that.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Drone_Fragger posted:

The shape and metal of the arm give it strength, its not an inflatable tube, this guy is like 100% safe. Slow bleeds only happen if the arm is suspended and even then in cataclysmic failure the arm wont descend faster than the oil moves anyway so you've got a good 15 minutes to get out of the way.

This thread sometimes has trouble telling the difference between their own fears and danger

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

This is the kind of stuff that happens to me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What did he think was going to happen anyway? If he cleared the top of the roof, it was just gonna slide off the other side.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

DemonToadGoat posted:

The shape and metal of the arm give it strength, its not an inflatable tube, this guy is like 100% safe. Slow bleeds only happen if the arm is suspended and even then in cataclysmic failure the arm wont descend faster than the oil moves anyway so you've got a good 15 minutes to get out of the way.

This thread sometimes has trouble telling the difference between their own fears and danger

This is a very large scale version of getting under a car supported only by a hydraulic jack without using jack-stands except in this case the car and jack are both parked on dirt so even if there isn't a sudden hydraulic failure (15 minutes? If a seal/hose releases it would descend about as fast as if the operator pulled the lever in the cab so more like a few seconds) the guy is still relying on the dirt to not shift.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bitcoin bastard posted:

What did he think was going to happen anyway? If he cleared the top of the roof, it was just gonna slide off the other side.

Maybe he thought the roof was rough enough that friction would keep the sheet in place?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Cat Hatter posted:

This is a very large scale version of getting under a car supported only by a hydraulic jack without using jack-stands except in this case the car and jack are both parked on dirt so even if there isn't a sudden hydraulic failure (15 minutes? If a seal/hose releases it would descend about as fast as if the operator pulled the lever in the cab so more like a few seconds) the guy is still relying on the dirt to not shift.

Yeah, that's definitely not the right way to do whatever it is he's doing under there.

There's the very real possibility that something bad could happen and if it did, it would be because of stupidity, not just a freak accident that nobody could have foreseen or prevented.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm assuming he expected the edge of it to catch on the top edge of the plywood below it.

Yesterday I had to mix up a batch of formalin for fixing purposes. I had a few milliliters of excess so, being new to this workplace, I asked where to chuck it and not a soul in the lab knew. Thankfully I found the lab coordinator and he pointed me to the hazardous liquids disposal :allears:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Cat Hatter posted:

Yup, if a hydraulic line blows for the arm (there are two pistons for the main arm to move up and down so he MIGHT be okay) it will bleed out very quick due to it being under load. There's also the second arm and the bucket holding him and those also have hoses which can blow/fail.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

FIRST TIME posted:

Yeah, that's definitely not the right way to do whatever it is he's doing under there.

There's the very real possibility that something bad could happen and if it did, it would be because of stupidity, not just a freak accident that nobody could have foreseen or prevented.

Bitch, what do you know about hoes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je9FEuzVn_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSfl6XPKFYA

DemonToadGoat fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 31, 2015

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DemonToadGoat posted:

-a dude who doesn't work anywhere near heavy equipment

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6BJnjpdY6I

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Climbing about under power of the hydraulics is working as intended. Standing underneath it while doing so is not.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Center of gravity, how does it work?!?!?!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pvt Dancer posted:

Yeah it's a power meter. I've never actually seen them installed but the design is so retarded I saved this. The manual doesn't even mention armored cables.

Reminds me - one of the things I commonly work on are current transformers - basically it's like a big torus and it puts out a small amount of current proportional to a big amount of current flowing through the hole in the torus. (Like 1200 amps through will generate 5 amps out.)

Generally there's not a lot of voltage on the secondary. However the really dangerous part is that for an ideal current transformer, it will generate up to an infinite voltage to keep that five amps going out. So if you ever open the secondary circuit, the electricity will arc across instantly. It's generally limited to a few hundred or thousand volts, but it's still a serious electrocution hazard if you open the circuit. They make special test circuits that short out the current transformer circuit on purpose - that's safe.

We had a guy at work accidentally disconnect one a long time ago, and he was pretty brave - he jammed it back into place, had a coworker hand him a screwdriver, and he very carefully re-landed the now scorched wire. :psyduck:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

DemonToadGoat posted:

Until he removes the engine and the center of mass changes and it falls on him. Check and MATE. (but also yeah this is pretty much true, if theres enough weight on the arm to force the oil out if he disconnects the hydraulics it means it's going to fall away from him anyway).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's essentially a four bar linkage*. Those are inherently unstable. The only thing that keeps it from folding in on itself is the force of the hydraulic fluid. Remove the fluid pressure, remove the force holding everything in one orientation.

*ground, body, boom, stick

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Of course he's Scottish.

Of course he is. :negative:

Agitated Scot has got to be the least-intelligible dialect of English on the face of this planet.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Until he removes the engine and the center of mass changes and it falls on him. Check and MATE. (but also yeah this is pretty much true, if theres enough weight on the arm to force the oil out if he disconnects the hydraulics it means it's going to fall away from him anyway).

What? The arm is forming an archway over him and extends out of frame behind his back. If you remove half an archway it falls inward, not outward. If he'd already reached the tipping point it would have already flipped upside down or the counterweight would be resting on the ground, which it isn't.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

if an excavator falls in the woods and crushes the idiot who went under it and nobody is around to hear him, does he scream?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So THAT'S how construction workers are born.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

tacodaemon posted:

And yeah, that last pic shows the door by the stage that the volunteer bouncers wouldn't let people exit through.

The sign says "KEEP DOOR CLOSED AT ALL TIMES". Seems to me like they did their jobs.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Centripetal Horse posted:

Agitated Scot has got to be the least-intelligible dialect of English on the face of this planet.

Seriously, sound like drunks with mouthfuls of marbles

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

DemonToadGoat posted:

"Don't walk under suspended loads" is a fairly common safety meeting topic.

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Yesterday I had to mix up a batch of formalin for fixing purposes. I had a few milliliters of excess so, being new to this workplace, I asked where to chuck it and not a soul in the lab knew. Thankfully I found the lab coordinator and he pointed me to the hazardous liquids disposal :allears:

You in parasitology? Histology? And what was everyone else doing, just dumping it down the sink?

naem
May 29, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

It helps if you're drunk, seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

p sure youre no true scotsman unless youre balancing on the line between alcohol poisoning and coma

• Locked thread