Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I always break a string on a Sunday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Epic
Midlife Crisis
Falling to Pieces
From Out of Nowhere
Digging the Grave

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

toymach1ne posted:

Epic
Midlife Crisis
Falling to Pieces
From Out of Nowhere
Digging the Grave

:coal:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Digging the Grave though

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

toymach1ne posted:

Digging the Grave though
I was actually hoping for that one; it's one of my slightly embarassing musical crushes from when I was about 14.
I understand that people who aren't rating the pack on my system might not be too pleased.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Something from Introduce yourself would have been cool. Still, it's Faith No More, and their songs are fun and reasonably easy to play.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

toymach1ne posted:

Epic
Midlife Crisis
Falling to Pieces
From Out of Nowhere
Digging the Grave

This makes me so happy. I hope they don't take too long getting us some more though.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

toymach1ne posted:

Epic
Midlife Crisis
Falling to Pieces
From Out of Nowhere
Digging the Grave

Yay!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Really would've loved something like Ashes to Ashes, The Gentle Art of Making Enemies or something off the new album instead of From Out of Nowhere, but the presence of Midlife Crisis and Digging the Grave makes me happy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone having problems with Rocksmith not running good on Windows 10?

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Quinctia posted:

How beginner are we talking about here?

Pour Some Sugar on Me has the distinction of being my first Master Mode clear, while playing it on emulated bass, so I'm pretty sure it's stupid easy. Same thing with Black Magic.

I think the bassline to Oasis's Supersonic is relatively easy without being so monotonous it gets boring.

I know that Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer and Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way (CDLC) are easier to play than they sound.

Yeah - pour some sugar on me was my first clear too. It's pretty easy. More important, I really enjoy that song. It's way easier to play songs you know and like.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Existing familiarity with a song definitely helps.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
played the CDLC of Casey Jones and it was excellent, I recommend it

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Next week

50's Rock Hits

The Champs "Tequila"
???
???

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Yas kween

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

toymach1ne posted:

Next week

50's Rock Hits

The Champs "Tequila"
???
???

Johnny B Goode

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Johnny B Goode

Oh hell yes

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was hoping that Champs was the one also known as The loving Champs

drat I would love some RS versions of their stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t52zgOWNUo

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002

OhDearGodNo posted:

Johnny B Goode

gently caress YES

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rocksmith works perfectly through my gaming PC which outputs video over DP and audio over 3.5mm. Now I'm trying to get it to work on the HTPC on my TV but the only way I can connect the video is via HDMI. This results in audio lag. How do I connect my audio up to remove this lag? My PC has 3.5mm and TOSLINK outputs, and my soundbar has red/white RCA input and a digital coax (SPDIF) input. I can find various cables to convert between this but I want to be sure that it will work. Can I just buy a 3.5mm -> RCA cable and that will work without requiring any kind of conversion?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 2, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tunga posted:

Can I just buy a 3.5mm -> RCA cable and that will work without requiring any kind of conversion?

Yes.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
After playing Rocksmith for several months now, I finally gave in to my desire to play bass and grabbed one over the weekend. At the moment, I seem to be doing a decent enough job on the basslines for various songs. So far, I've been playing with my fingers instead of a pick. I chose that route because when I took lessons with my acoustic, the teacher taught us fingerstyle and it made hitting the correct string very easy, since you always know what strings your fingers are resting on. With my electric guitar and using a pick, I've always struggled to hit the correct string. Especially the D and G strings.

So when I went with bass, fingerstyle felt perfect, natural. I use two fingers right now for playing and I always know what string I'm on since, well, I can shift both fingers up and cover the top two strings. Or, shift the fingers down and cover both bottom strings. With this style of playing, my initial attempts at songs are leaving me at anywhere between 50-90% mastery. With a few of the easier songs at closer to almost 100%

But, besides sound differences, should I be learning to play with a pick? Am I in any way stunting my growth or looking at potentially picking up bad habits by playing exclusively with my fingers?

That said, holy poo poo bass is FUN! It's what I was trying to find with rhythm guitar: Getting into a trance and jamming away.

EDIT: Also, it's always been a struggle to strum quickly with a pick. But with my fingers, fast passages with a steady stream of notes is a breeze! I just alternate between the two fingers when plucking the string. Picks feel so much slower and feel like they need more effort/energy to achieve the same result.

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 3, 2015

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Besides sound the only reason to use a pick is if you have low stamina and have to play a lot of fast sections or chords. We can't all be Steve Harris and shred for an hour with our fingers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like Bill Haley and the Comets - Rock Around the Clock is gonna be in the 50's pack too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's good to learn finger and pick, since you get different tones out of them and they suit different styles. But if you're only playing one way, I'd say going with pick over fingers is limiting yourself, not the other way around

Bass is a really physical instrument, and you get so much more control from having your hands in direct contact and yanking on the strings. You can go from picking with your nails to using the pads of your fingers, you can do plucking-hand muting, jazzy chords, all kinds of nuanced stuff. And a lot of bass playing is holding down a simple groove, so those subtle nuances in sounding each note are what makes it fun

Practice with a pick though, even if it's just enough so you can bang out a passable bassline with one if you need to. Playing guitar doesn't exactly translate when you're picking steel cables with huge gaps between them, especially if you're getting that grind down at the bridge where the tension is crazy high

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
third song is most likely "La Bamba" by RItchie Valens

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Learn both on Bass, but I'd say focus on fingers for non really quick things.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
“Rock Around The Clock” by Bill Haley & His Comets – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
“Tequila” by The Champs – E Standard – Lead/Alternate Lead/Rhythm/Bass
“La Bamba” by Ritchie Valens – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Saxatar

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Audrey and Kate came from Japan to the US and stopped by Ubi SF for a livestream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpQu0wlk0Jo

I think it's pretty awesome

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Her performance of For The Love Of God is incredibly awesome.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

spamman posted:

Her performance of For The Love Of God is incredibly awesome.

timestamp is 36:25 for those looking

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just Re-bought Rocksmith 2014 on Steam as I the speakers I was using to output on ps3 have blown and this was cheaper than buying new speakers.

Is it possible to transfer purchases of DLC does anyone know?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Not cross platform. only PC<->Mac as they both use the same format Steam account as each other.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks for the earlier bass playing tips regarding finger style vs. playing with a pick.

Now, I have a technical question: Rocksmith almost rarely - if ever - recognizes when I play a note on the first fret of the lowest pitched string. Yet, if I pluck the open string or play any other note higher than the first fret, the game picks it up just fine. Rocksmith tends to have slightly better success at picking up the first fret note when the bass is tuned to E Standard.

But any other tuning? Forget it. In fact, with some of the lower tunings, the game seems to not recognize more notes. Again, I seem to have better note recognition in the E Standard and occasionally, E Flat tunings. I'm not sure what's going on. The game picks up my regular guitar just fine!

For reference, I'm using a used Squier Bronco Bass. It has two knobs - both of which I assume are volume and tone - turned all the way up. When I'm in the menu screen or something and I pluck the string, I can hear it just fine. The only thing I could think of to try was turning the Real Tone cable gain up. I went as high at ~4dB and that didn't really help. I'm using the PC version of the game. I'm not sure what the PC's specs are since the PC is actually my GF's. I do know it has an Asus motherboard and it runs Windows 7. It also has GTX cards in SLI mode. I know that doesn't help as much as it could.

I don't know if this matters, but I notice that I can hear static through my headphones when I'm just sitting around with either my regular or bass guitar. If I cover the strings, it sometimes goes away. The static is also much less pronounced when I'm using the bass.
(I hear the static even when having the Real Tone cable gain at the default level)

So, what could be going on here? I'm getting frustrated because I'm getting good scores on a lot of basslines, but then I get poor scores on others because the game is not recognizing the notes. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dolemite posted:

Now, I have a technical question: Rocksmith almost rarely - if ever - recognizes when I play a note on the first fret of the lowest pitched string. Yet, if I pluck the open string or play any other note higher than the first fret, the game picks it up just fine. Rocksmith tends to have slightly better success at picking up the first fret note when the bass is tuned to E Standard.

But any other tuning? Forget it. In fact, with some of the lower tunings, the game seems to not recognize more notes. Again, I seem to have better note recognition in the E Standard and occasionally, E Flat tunings. I'm not sure what's going on. The game picks up my regular guitar just fine!

So, what could be going on here? I'm getting frustrated because I'm getting good scores on a lot of basslines, but then I get poor scores on others because the game is not recognizing the notes. :(

Possibly intonation?

Do you have a digital tuner of your own? I guess you could use the rocksmith one.

After you tune the open note as close as you can get to the reference pitch, try fretting notes and then see if those notes are in tune. If not you may need to take your bass to the shop to get a luthier to adjust your saddles to improve the intonation.

Because rocksmith has to use frequency analysis to detect notes, intonation could be pushing a few of your frets just sharp or flat enough they don't register.

That's my only guess could be something else too :shrug: Thing is intonation I would think would be more of an issue at like the 12th fret than the 1st, so that may not be it. But it could be some string voodoo like that.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I haven't been able to figure it out either. I think the game just has a hard time sorting low frequencies. I thought it was maybe because I was using a cheap bass at first but even with my Carvin it has issues.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dolemite posted:

I don't know if this matters, but I notice that I can hear static through my headphones when I'm just sitting around with either my regular or bass guitar. If I cover the strings, it sometimes goes away. The static is also much less pronounced when I'm using the bass.
(I hear the static even when having the Real Tone cable gain at the default level)

Yeah you're going to always hear static, that's feedback because you're playing a guitar near a computer which is normally a very stupid thing to do, but rocksmith kinda requires it so hey whatever. (I am in no way calling you stupid, I do the same thing)

The reason why it cuts out completely when you cover the strings sometimes is because muting the strings makes the feedback static quieter, and rocksmith intelligently has a noise gate on pretty much all tone configurations AFAIK.

So when you mute the strings the hiss gets quiet enough to fall below the threshold and the gate kicks in and completely mutes you. Without your palm muting the strings, the general hiss is loud enough the noise gate threshold isn't triggered (because it doesn't want to mute you if you're actually playing something quiet).

Its just one of those things. Active pickups can help because they can cause pre-gain before the signal hits the cable, so you get a better signal-to-noise ratio, but when you're playing guitar right next to a computer it doesn't make much difference, those pickups are gonna get a ton of static either way.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Could be an intonation issue, or the nut could be cut incorrectly, leading to an out-of-tune note at the first fret. Or you might be fretting too hard. If you pull up the little on screen tuner and tune so the open string is dead-on, where does it say the note at the first fret is?

If you hear hiss that goes away when you mute the strings, then something is probably incorrectly grounded on your guitar. If it's a strat type, check inside the cavity on the back, the claw hook that the tremolo springs attach to should have a ground wire running back to the control cavity, which grounds the whole trem/bridge/strings system.

Edit: could also be feedback, although that should be easy to check by playing Today by Smashing Pumpkins. That's the only song I've had send any of my guitars into heavy feedback, and it does it reliably if I'm too close.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 7, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dolemite posted:

Thanks for the earlier bass playing tips regarding finger style vs. playing with a pick.

First listen to the note and see how it sounds to your ear. Is it buzzing or choking when you play at the first fret? Does it sound dead? How about the other strings on that fret? If it doesn't sound right, you might need to adjust something like the string height or the truss rod. (The longer the vibrating part of the string, the wider the excursion in the middle, so the more clearance it needs over the neck, either through giving it more bend in the middle, or raising the ends of the string. The open string ends at the nut, which is usually cut so the string rests a bit higher up than when you fret it, which is why that might not have the same problem)

If that's coo', check the precision tuner in the game and make sure it is seeing the right note. Might help to compare with a real tuner - Pitchlab is a great phone app if you don't have a hardware tuner around. If the note is fine, but the game is getting it wrong, try messing with your guitar settings - change pickups, roll off the tone a bit, mess with the volume (generally max is good unless the pickups are overloading the signal, so give it a try). Play harder and softer, and pluck the string in different places, see if it makes a difference

Personally I have to ease off the audio engine and graphics settings because my computer is crap, and if I don't it'll completely fail to recognise certain notes - on the high E string for me, but it does seem to be a consistent issue I can fix by making the settings less aggressive.

It's worth pointing out that because of the way guitars physically work, once your intonation is set properly (so it's in tune everywhere on the neck), that's only set for your current string gauge and tuning. So tuning down will mess that up slightly - hopefully not enough to matter, but if you're already in a kind of ehhhhh intonation it might be enough to push it over the edge. Also when you pick a string the note goes sharp, and picking hard might go BEAAAAAWWOW on a bass, especially if your strings are low tension. I think a short-scale bass like you have might exacerbate that a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I didn't mean sound feedback from the speaker as much as E/M noise feedback from the computer's electronics.

The only place to get a perfectly clean guitar signal is inside a Faraday cage, but in general the further away you are from running computers/tvs/etc the better your sound.

The Beatles used to joke that The Kremlin had the best acoustics in the world, because it was rigged to prevent people from using bugging devices and such.