Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

e X posted:

In a very anthropological, roundabout way, of course. All art is representative of the culture that produced it. But that doesn't mean that I can deduct military doctrine from Shakespeare.

The jury was always out on whether he actually could figure out an enemy through art or if he was just using that as a smokescreen for being that drat cunning and well-informed. I seem to recall there being just enough hints of the latter to make it plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I always found the explanations for hampering Vader pointless because they are based around half a fight toying with an old man and two fights with his son who he isn't trying to kill.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Polaron posted:

The jury was always out on whether he actually could figure out an enemy through art or if he was just using that as a smokescreen for being that drat cunning and well-informed. I seem to recall there being just enough hints of the latter to make it plausible.

I'm pretty sure later books, when his second-in-command took over, something was said to the effect of "his private records showed the art was more for meditation and mystique" or some such.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

e X posted:

Isn't there at least one comic, published pre-ROTJ, were Luke and Leia hook up?

Retconning them as siblings was such a stupid-rear end way to resolve the love triangle. It adds absolutely nothing to the story.

I think the absolute worst thing about the expanded universe was all the writers who were like "Jedi are the real assholes if u think about it!!! Let me introduce shades of gray in this morality play where the bad guys look like space nazis and wear black robes. I am very deep and will blow ur mind."

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 9, 2015

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Actually this is the worst thing about the expanded universe:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Epicanthix

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Domalom posted:

I love that the article describes space-Asians as "near-human".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Retconning them as siblings was such a stupid-rear end way to resolve the love triangle. It adds absolutely nothing to the story.

I think the absolute worst thing about the expanded universe was all the writers who were like "Jedi are the real assholes if u think about it!!! Let me introduce shades of gray in this morality play where the bad guys look like space nazis and wear black robes. I am very deep and will blow ur mind."

I didn't know George Lucas wrote for the eu.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I didn't know George Lucas wrote for the eu.

Those were separate statements. Yes, George Lucas was the one who made them siblings but no, it was absolutely not planned from the start. Neither was Vader being Luke's father, but that one worked out.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Lurdiak posted:

The list of old expanded universe stuff I enjoy is as follows:

Knights of the Old Republic

???

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The first one doesn't really deal with that stuff much.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The first one doesn't really deal with that stuff much.

I dunno, pre-mind wipe Revan is a heroic Sith and the Jedi are routinely shown to be incompetent and out of touch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also the second game had a better story and it was all about that grey.
kreia loving owned.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I hated Kreia largely because she never shut the gently caress up. You can't even escape her badgering by leaving her on the ship, she just yells at you in your brain. Yes, old biddy, I get it, nothing I do will ever be the right decision, go back to your nap and leave me the gently caress alone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Domalom posted:

Its either that or this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The talk page is surprisingly boring. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Breast

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why do I get the distinct feeling someone was touching themselves when they uploaded that photo of Aayla Secura?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

"T'ra Saa, who was a shape-shifting Neti—a sentient species of plants— had breasts in her pseudo-Human form."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You know, there's all kinds of creepy and stupid poo poo I'll look at on my computer no problem, but when I see that URL I go, "...Nah, better turn on private browsing, I don't want that in my browser history."

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

a tree with pronounced breasts

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Domalom posted:

Wow, I had no idea that Yun was supposed to be space asian.

The graphics were so low res in that game that the only person who looked space asian that I can remember would have been Jan? (whoever the pilot chick was)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Hey guys you should really check out this thread (and go post in it instead):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716084

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Let's get back on track.

Marvel Monsters #1

It's on Marvel Unlimited. You really should get Unlimited if you don't have it already.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Milotic posted:

Let's get back on track.

Marvel Monsters #1

It's on Marvel Unlimited. You really should get Unlimited if you don't have it already.

That wheel thingy she's on seems highly impractical.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's Roberta, the FF's robot receptionist.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Milotic posted:

Let's get back on track.

Marvel Monsters #1

Leave it to loving Mr Fantastic to make sure the 'only' emotion a robot can feel is shame.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My interpretation was less that it's the only emotion he has left, and more that it's the only one he's certain that he has felt before.
It would be perfectly in line with Richards' assholery, though, I'll grant you that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CzarChasm posted:

Leave it to loving Mr Fantastic to make sure the 'only' emotion a robot can feel is shame.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CzarChasm posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Reading through the Mega Man series, and holy hell, this series had some moments in it...
:siren: Spoilers Ahead :siren:
From Mega Man #32 and 33. This part of the series takes place suring Super Adventure Rockman. Dr Wily has discovered an ancient computer called Ra Moon and used it to rebuild a robot master army. Long story short, it turns on him and causes a worldwide emp that damages most electronics. Mega Man is repaired, and along with the original MM1 robot masters, head to Ra Moon's temple where Wily is hiding. The final battle rages between Mega Man and his friends with other masters loyal to Wily vs Ra Moon and the remaining masters he controls:

Later...

And next issue, while attempting to rebuild him:

Also, from #35, Blues/Proto Man (as Break Man) is angry with Dr Light. He believes Light wanted to reprogram him, and take away his personality. He visits with Tempo/Quake Woman, the creation of one of Lights associates, Dr Lalinde. Tempo was like Rock and Roll, a helper robot with a cheerful personality and a daughter like relationship with her creator. She was involved in a terrible accident and nearly destroyed. Heartbroken, Dr Lalinde removed her personality so she wouldn't have to suffer such heartache should something happen again. She later sees the error of her ways, and restores Tempo's personality. Break Man questions Tempo on her creators actions:

The series can be kinda childish at time, especially the early issues, but I'm enjoying it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's pretty nuts how good that series is. Especially when contrasted to how horrible the Sonic series is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty nuts how good that series is. Especially when contrasted to how horrible the Sonic series is.

Sonic apparently went through a writer change a while back and became much better, current dismal kitchen sink crossover notwithstanding.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't matter how many times people say that its good, I'll never take that series seriously because its goddamn Mega Man.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

muscles like this? posted:

It doesn't matter how many times people say that its good, I'll never take that series seriously because its goddamn Mega Man.

That's kinda a silly mentality to have isn't it?(also really hope Mega Man will continue to be good when it comes back from the hiatus it's going to be having soon)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Sonic apparently went through a writer change a while back and became much better, current dismal kitchen sink crossover notwithstanding.

Also they pretty much rebooted the comic after the first Mega Man/Sonic crossover due to legal issues with the former lead writer. The comic improved after the writer change but I think it's gotten even better after being forced to eject everything the old writer did and pretty much start over.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Veotax posted:

Also they pretty much rebooted the comic after the first Mega Man/Sonic crossover due to legal issues with the former lead writer. The comic improved after the writer change but I think it's gotten even better after being forced to eject everything the old writer did and pretty much start over.

I still hope some of the old stuff returns some day, cause I actually liked some of the ridiculous stuff from the old days and was sad to see it go, also I'll admit Ken Penders is a man I'd love to beat the crap out of if I had the chance to with no repercussions afterwards

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is all that needs to be said about Ken Penders' Sonic comics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd make a DESTINY joke but I think that abomination was from Bollers

Veotax
May 16, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I still hope some of the old stuff returns some day, cause I actually liked some of the ridiculous stuff from the old days and was sad to see it go, also I'll admit Ken Penders is a man I'd love to beat the crap out of if I had the chance to with no repercussions afterwards

It must have come out of nowhere, there was so much poo poo happening before the reboot that just got dropped without resolution and it looked like it was all coming to ahead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Veotax posted:

It must have come out of nowhere, there was so much poo poo happening before the reboot that just got dropped without resolution and it looked like it was all coming to ahead.

Omni did a very in-depth overview of the rise, rule, and sudden death of Pender's Sonic run in the old Worst Runs thread. It's worth a read even if you don't care about Sonic comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Wrong picture, here's the correct one: