Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's way too late into my playthrough to be asking this, but I can't remember: Is there any benefit to commiting to spend the day with a social link when they come up to you at lunch and ask, do you get extra points?

Edit: thanks.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no none.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's no extra benefit. Saying "Maybe" doesn't cost you anything. You can run around taking care of fetch quests and other chores first.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chie trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuBzWgIZUYo

Fitzgerald still tries too hard at delivery on tomboys, news at 11

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/ErinFitzgerald/status/593101765970558976

quote:

i love it! I totally joined! I considers self Chie's biggest fan!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xXsLJsgPYo

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's November 25th and I'm only 1 rank into the Death arcana, I put it off forgetting how it works. Are there 9 sunday/holiday days left in the game?

"Time to bust out my steak powers!" Atlus has no clue how to write the p4 cast anymore other than reference one notable thing from the original game again and again.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Persona 4 is gonna go the way of Final Fantasy VII where the Extended Universe makes weird spins on these characters and hardly anyone remembers what they were actually like in the original game.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Moltrey posted:

Persona 4 is gonna go the way of Final Fantasy VII where the Extended Universe makes weird spins on these characters and hardly anyone remembers what they were actually like in the original game.

If a Gackt self-insert character were to appear anywhere, it would be in Dancing All Night.

But I'd be okay with a Space Channel 5 crossover and the reappearance of Space Michael.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Delsaber posted:

If a Gackt self-insert character were to appear anywhere, it would be in Dancing All Night.

But I'd be okay with a Space Channel 5 crossover and the reappearance of Space Michael.
I never played the fighting games, could Labrys or Sho be the self-insert?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I got max social links on my first playthrough of Persona 4 Golden with everyone also getting their final third evolution of their personas. Are there any pain in the rear end achievements that would require a complete social link playthrough again or can I just dick around in New Game+?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

Depends on how much human experimentation is in the player's history.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think I'm never going to catch this loving beetle for rank 10 fox.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are you doing it at night? That tripped me up when I played.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

I got max social links on my first playthrough of Persona 4 Golden with everyone also getting their final third evolution of their personas. Are there any pain in the rear end achievements that would require a complete social link playthrough again or can I just dick around in New Game+?

Hardcore Risette Fan is the only real pain in the rear end.

You don't need to complete all the links again, but if you complete Empress and kill all six of the post-rescue dungeon bosses before you clear the December dungeon, you'll unlock another optional boss fight on the very last day. There's a trophy for winning.

LibbyM posted:

I think I'm never going to catch this loving beetle for rank 10 fox.

You can buy 3 of them from Tanaka's Amazing Commodities on August 21-23.

Make sure you've read Expert Fishing, too.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 31, 2015

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Are you doing it at night? That tripped me up when I played.

I've been doing it at day. Should I be doing it at night? I'm still trying to catch the first beetle, the Inaba Jewel one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, the big beetles will only come out at night.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You also have to ask the old man about getting the second fishing rod, IIRC.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Really Pants posted:

Hardcore Risette Fan is the only real pain in the rear end.

You don't need to complete all the links again, but if you complete Empress and kill all six of the post-rescue dungeon bosses before you clear the December dungeon, you'll unlock another optional boss fight on the very last day. There's a trophy for winning.

I was just missing the Final Hunger Persona, I also ran into the reaper in the process of looking for golden hands to grind up enough cash to finish off the compendium.

But yeah I did the final dungeon on the last day.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Labrys is kind of a Mary Sue in the same way Marie is so maybe her

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

Labrys is kind of a Mary Sue in the same way Marie is so maybe her

hmm didn't know that mary sue meant 'best character in their respective games' thanks for the info

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Well, half of "Mary Sue" more or less means infallible, and Labrys is certainly an infallible waifu.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Normie Slayer posted:

Well, half of "Mary Sue" more or less means infallible, and Labrys is certainly an infallible waifu.

robots can't be waifus

it's against the laws that Asimov-Sensei established.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What does Mary Sue even mean anymore?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

SyntheticPolygon posted:

character i don't like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

female character who affects the plot

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The self insert character in Persona 4 is literally Yu.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

female character who affects the plot

It's funny, on account of it being true

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also does anybody else occasionally have SA stop loading images like avatars and the reply button so you can't post?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

*said like Barrett* the forums are dying, cloud

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

The self insert character in Persona 4 is literally Yu.

Actually his name is Souji Seta.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

Also does anybody else occasionally have SA stop loading images like avatars and the reply button so you can't post?

and what it does load is in a different stylesheet? if so, yeah sometimes.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

I didn't think I'd make it seven whole seconds before closing the tab, I must be becoming some kind of collected zen master.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Freak Futanari posted:

Actually his name is Souji Seta.

You talkin' about my friend Charlie Tunoku?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In Golden you still do that social link goodbye scene all the way at the very end in march, like the original game right? This scene where I go around wishing happy new year to all my slinks is a little weird. It's like a super short and almost pointless version of the same thing I'll be doing later.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Charlie Tunoku has been my default smt character name for 6 years and I refuse to stop now

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yo you seen my friend Fox?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Here's an excerpt on what the term originally came from

quote:

Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling. This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.[5]

It basically meant a character who was good at everything imagineable, beloved my many major characters, and had an enormous effect on everything. It was originally used to satirize Star Trek fanfiction, but now it has morphed into being a female character who is shoehorned into stories and seen as beloved by most of the cast. This is ignoring that all of the new characters who are female (Labrys, Marie, Rei, and Kanami) are all people with their own personal hangups, lovely attitudes, or are broken in some way or another. True, they are beloved by the cast, but the casts they associate with are a group of morons who are insanely accepting already, so it is hardly surprising they welcome anything that moves with open arms.

On male side of the spectrum we only have Sho and Zen. The former is a broken person who only knows how to communicate his feelings through fighting and made enemies of the entire cast and his own allies for it and the latter of which is a loving deity who was terrified by a child's own realization that her life meant nothing and tried to wipe her mind in one fell swoop to attempt to save her.

The only one you can really call a Mary Sue is possibly Marie and even then she is incompetent at practically everything except weather forecasting.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Basically now it's just a phrase that people toss at whatever characters they don't like when they aren't able or can't be bothered to come up with actual criticisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you call someone a mary sue i ignore your opinion, because it's certainly bad