Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

Do you have a title or author or anything for this, because Google is not helping with the information I have right now.

Here's a link

It's a pretty interesting story. Wisdom Tree's entire business model was based around finding the market who had their own venues for selling stuff and didn't care if Nintendo shut down their unauthorized Nintendo games by refusing to sell them actual Nintendo games. Most of the team was made up of agnostics or atheists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SVU also did one of the greatest insane "video games cause crime!" episodes ever. I just watch the highlight reel on youtube for the laughs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There was a neat episode of SVU where Olivia spent a few hours with a dying man, who confesses to a life of crime to get an innocent man out of prison. One of the actually good episodes to me.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

OldTennisCourt posted:

I remember that ep, it was two completely unrelated stories because SVU is insane. They find the camera, and find out it caught a teacher with her student and they go after her but it turns out she had some tumor that was like, messing with her brain somehow and making her a nymphomaniac or something.

The greatest SVU ep is BY FAR the episode where an actual, no joke, mad scientist makes some weird thing that can let criminals bypass DNA tests. The episode ends with the doctor literally going "NOW YOU COPS CAN'T RELY ON DNA!" and giving an honest to god supervillain laugh.

There's an episode of Elementary like this (the second one) but it fits a little better because it seems like every so often one of their cases involves something truly weird (like murderous AI).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

SVU also did one of the greatest insane "video games cause crime!" episodes ever. I just watch the highlight reel on youtube for the laughs.

Was that the one where a woman gets beaten or raped and when someone asked what happens she just says "They...leveled up"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I caught the end of an episode of SVU, i have no idea how the story got to the point, but it ends with the twist that the pedophile's girlfriend is actually an adult who just looks young. They let him go, and as he's leaving the police station he kisses his girlfriend, and some random cop walking by is like, "You can't do that!" and the girlfriend is like, "No, I'm actually a grown woman" so the cop lets them go, and the last shot is Benson and Stabler with this completely defeated look on their faces. Like, the pedophile outfoxed them. There's nothing they can do, because the child he's having sex with is actually 27.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of wasn't it like a lovely looking GTA clone where like huge 100 POINTS SCORED popped up when you killed people. I just remember they made the game creator out to be this evil scumbag and Elliot gets all angry at him

SVU is one of the dumbest shows ever but the sheer madness of it makes it a worthy successor to the original. There are multiple episodes where criminals give these evil speechs while the music you'd expect to play when Thanos or Ultron take over the world play

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OldTennisCourt posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of wasn't it like a lovely looking GTA clone where like huge 100 POINTS SCORED popped up when you killed people. I just remember they made the game creator out to be this evil scumbag and Elliot gets all angry at him

No, this was the one with a call of duty ripoff called Kill or Be Slaughtered (KOBS), and focused on a gamergate style criminal ring harassing a female game developer for daring to make a Civilization style management sim.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, this was the one with a call of duty ripoff called Kill or Be Slaughtered (KOBS), and focused on a gamergate style criminal ring harassing a female game developer for daring to make a Civilization style management sim.

So, it's basically the most realistic episode? :v:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
There was an episode of SVU where wrestler Bill Goldberg played an insane angel dust fueled criminal who thought he was the God of Love and he speared Stabler through a glass window.

SVU is the craziest cop show in TV history

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jsor posted:

So, it's basically the most realistic episode? :v:

it was also a episode where a raped woman made a level up pun, So that will say mush thought was in that episode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh poo poo, there was an episode of SVU where they found this woman that had been raped, but she refused to co-operate or press charges, so Benson started stalking her, pulling her into the station on whatever pretense she could find, to try to pressure her into pressing charges.

In the end it turned out she was a snitch working for the FBI, and Benson had blown her cover and almost gotten her killed, so now Benson had to take her place undercover as an eco-terrorist.

And that's how they wrote Benson out of the show for a few episodes to deal with Mariska Hargitay's pregnancy.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

boom boom boom posted:

Oh poo poo, there was an episode of SVU where they found this woman that had been raped, but she refused to co-operate or press charges, so Benson started stalking her, pulling her into the station on whatever pretense she could find, to try to pressure her into pressing charges.

In the end it turned out she was a snitch working for the FBI, and Benson had blown her cover and almost gotten her killed, so now Benson had to take her place undercover as an eco-terrorist.

And that's how they wrote Benson out of the show for a few episodes to deal with Mariska Hargitay's pregnancy.

this honestly sound like a plot to a episode of curb your enthusiasm. SVU is just amazingly stupid.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm currently in the middle of Helter Skelter, about the Manson murders, and I've been especially struck by, on one hand, the blatant mismanagement of the Tate murders by the LAPD, with evidence overlooked and misfiled, and connections missed because the LAPD and LASO weren't sharing info (they were each working cases that turned out to both be Manson-related); and on the other by the media circus surrounding the case, with leaks galore, baseless speculation, and a book deal for Sarah Atkins before she and the other Manson Family members are even indicted.

Now thanks to this thread, I'm wondering if there's an SVU episode like this. I know, Manson was late-60's and SVU is way, way more recent, but it's not as if mismanagement and media circuses have exactly gone away, either. So, is there?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Keromaru5 posted:

Now thanks to this thread, I'm wondering if there's an SVU episode like this. I know, Manson was late-60's and SVU is way, way more recent, but it's not as if mismanagement and media circuses have exactly gone away, either. So, is there?

There's an episode where Not Nancy Grace causes the mom of a kidnapped child to kill herself. Two headlines for the price of one.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 1, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don't forget the one where Mikhail from Lost is smuggling rare animals and the whole team passes around a basketball with a gibbon hidden inside to keep it away from him like they're the Globetrotters.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WickedHate posted:

There's an episode where Not Nancy Grace causes the mom of a kidnapped child to kill herself. Two headlines for the price of one.

Similarly, the one where Not Paula Deen shoots Not Trayvon Martin

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Honestly there's only one episode that pissed me off. It's the one where they talked of the US foster home system. The child turns out to be psycho, the kids don't talk yet no one picks up that's what certain traumatized kids do. And to ensure they can be taken seriously the writers put in that being in prison for two years, "they got away with it." Just to take one character out of the show.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

Speaking of which, I finally saw Man of Steel a while ago, and drat if Christopher Meloni isn't incredibly distracting in it. He's gone just long enough to forget, and then suddenly he's back.

It's good, he's distracting you from "Superman" flinging Zod into a working gas station, and it exploding and killing civilians.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PassTheRemote posted:

It's good, he's distracting you from "Superman" flinging Zod into a working gas station, and it exploding and killing civilians.

I cry every day at those unmourned fictional lives.

Why fictional Superman, why.

Why did you kill those fake people.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Sometimes I watch Godzilla movies and get really angry that they are siding with Godzilla over the other monster, because he is surely stepping on buildings and causing damages all the time.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I cry every day at those unmourned fictional lives.

Why fictional Superman, why.

Why did you kill those fake people.

Yeah, it's just a movie. Nothing matters and anything can happen and it's fine. Like, for example, if Captain America rapes someone in the next Captain America movie. It's just a movie, there's no actual rape, anyone who would complain about that would be some weirdo who thinks movies are real.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, it's just a movie. Nothing matters and anything can happen and it's fine. Like, for example, if Captain America rapes someone in the next Captain America movie. It's just a movie, there's no actual rape, anyone who would complain about that would be some weirdo who thinks movies are real.

Only if he reviews Star Wars prequels and develops a love for pizza roles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"They're providing you entertainment! You have no right to complain! Just enjoy it or watch something else!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Only if he reviews Star Wars prequels and develops a love for pizza roles.

Mr. Plinkett never raped anyone. It's not even suggested that he raped someone. What are you talking about?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

boom boom boom posted:

Mr. Plinkett never raped anyone. It's not even suggested that he raped someone. What are you talking about?

"I like to gently caress my cat. *Cue him raping his cat*"
-Revenge of the Sith review.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

VolticSurge posted:

"I like to gently caress my cat. *Cue him raping his cat*"
-Revenge of the Sith review.

Cats are not people. It was also a joke.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
And thus it begins anew.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
And it was only like 3.234423 and some days* since the last drama bomb!

* This figure not verified

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just don't see what Mr. Plinkett loving his cat has to do with Superman letting thousands of people die.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

boom boom boom posted:

I just don't see what Mr. Plinkett loving his cat has to do with Superman letting thousands of people die.

This is true goon-thread.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
So this is happening.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Hopefully it'll be a Carrie type situation.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Well I'm happy for him, Bob isn't offensive enough to me that I'd begrudge him some good fortune.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Alacron posted:

Well I'm happy for him, Bob isn't offensive enough to me that I'd begrudge him some good fortune.

Can I reference my past post about his published book?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sometimes I watch Godzilla movies and get really angry that they are siding with Godzilla over the other monster, because he is surely stepping on buildings and causing damages all the time.

That is because we recognize him as King of Monsters, and to get angry at him is to incur his wrath. Behold his majesty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGNhLZuD6a8

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Man of Steel sucked, HBomberguy can suck my dick. What a joyless, pointless, aimless waste of my loving time. You know a movie's good when +50% of the dialogue is other people philosophizing about Superman, but by the end of the film I have no idea what Superman actually believes in or stands for. Like, I can't even say that killing Zod and all those implied civilians is out of character for him, because he never gets to assert his character. Clark Kent has no arc, he just is Superman and everybody spends the whole movie talking about "Wow, a Superman" or "Oh no, a Superman".

It's like Zack Snyder watched The Dark Knight and didn't get that when the characters were philosophizing about Batman, they were really talking about the War on Terror, and the accountability of authority in general; because in Man of Steel everyone is just philosophizing about Superman, in a way that has no value to a world without a Superman, i.e. the world which we inhabit.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I disagree

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh god no, not the Man of Steel bullshit again! Quick, to the Ishtar Trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KdQ7Gig770

Hopefully it still works, despite having been overused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh god no, not the Man of Steel bullshit again! Quick, to the Ishtar Trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KdQ7Gig770

Hopefully it still works, despite having been overused.

As someone who is immune to ishtar, that to me is like putting a fly trap over a maggot infested garbage bin.

• Locked thread