Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Azran posted:

Meanwhile, Privateer Press have released their Descent/D&D Adventure System clone's tutorial video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldBFgCnJ0Ms

I'm not feeling it, really. Maybe because the board is kinda bland.

The board's a little dull, but to be honest the worst thing about this is the INCREDIBLY dull way it's being voiced. It makes it sound so dry. He sounds utterly bored by it the whole time, despite the fact that it actually feels to me like a pretty reasonable entry into the delve-game category, mechanically.

E: the between-chapters revival thing (and revival in general) sounds pretty lovely, actually. The reliance on single-use tokens to revive, and the reliance on a 1/3 chance for them to refill between chapters, seems likely to wind up with serious death spiralling.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

thespaceinvader posted:

The board's a little dull, but to be honest the worst thing about this is the INCREDIBLY dull way it's being voiced. It makes it sound so dry. He sounds utterly bored by it the whole time, despite the fact that it actually feels to me like a pretty reasonable entry into the delve-game category, mechanically.

E: the between-chapters revival thing (and revival in general) sounds pretty lovely, actually. The reliance on single-use tokens to revive, and the reliance on a 1/3 chance for them to refill between chapters, seems likely to wind up with serious death spiralling.

I completely agree, I almost fell asleep while watching it.

Privateer Press has some seriously weird decisions when it comes to their non-minis design teams. Like the wargame has one of the best minis wargames books I've ever seen in the sense of no ambiguity and neatly laid out information - nothing comes to mind as "what the gently caress, why is X mechanic even a thing".

Meanwhile, the RPG has like 100 pages of fluff before the actual rules begin, the contents aren't organized as well as the wargame, and it uses the streamlined wargame combat system (2d6 equal or over target value) while grafting weird D&D 3.5 poo poo like "you recover X HP equal to your Vitality after a combat, but from then on you only get X every X hours unless X." All the non-combat rules that aren't taken from the wargames look like something Mike Mearls would design.
Then you get Undercity and the base combat looks fine (it's basically Warmachine/Hordes on a square board, where squares allow more than one figure) buuut they had to go and 1990's it up with the things you mention. It's seriously baffling.

On the other hand, I hope the Warhammer Quest remake scratches the card-driven coop adventuring itch LOTR left me with, but with no deck building.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is it just me, or is turn order in Forbidden Stars a little broken?

If someone is downstream of you, they can block off your orders at all times, as long as they like, and have a huge leg up in any war against you. The first player cycles around, so they stay this way 3/4 of the time, in a 4 player game.

We considered reversing it every second round, but that only helps certain players.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
So is Runebound 3e likely to be "not as good Mage Knight that I can actually theoretically both teach and play in one session to more than one other player at a time, and thus get out ten times as often?" Or will it be: "Talisman: the Grinding: the game?" Having never played the earlier ones I'm trying to assess whether it could be a nice slightly lighter "run around a map fantasy level up game" which sound quite appealing, as I can't think of any good ones outside of MK and that is so much effort for new players I mostly just play 2p.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Krazyface posted:

If someone is downstream of you, they can block off your orders at all times, as long as they like, and have a huge leg up in any war against you. The first player cycles around, so they stay this way 3/4 of the time, in a 4 player game.

We considered reversing it every second round, but that only helps certain players.

I haven't found this to be a problem yet as you end up interacting with every other player in my experience, so it kind of just gets factored in with all the other strategic variables like warp storms etc. Also there seems to be some value at being at the bottom of a stack and acting last for some orders which counterbalances a bit. I don't see any problems with reversing either though.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Krazyface posted:

I'd say that it would generally even out in the long run. Being able to get out first (and therefore be last resolved) can be a big advantage sometimes

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What videos are good for in-depth rules explanation? For example a video you might have to watch if you had to teach the game for the first time without having playing it yourself. I found Rhado Runs good as a decent overview, but not as a great rules learning exercise.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Rodney Smith's Watch it Played ought to work.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Krazyface posted:

Don't forget you can only play order tokens in areas you are already in or are orthogonally adjacent to.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

What videos are good for in-depth rules explanation? For example a video you might have to watch if you had to teach the game for the first time without having playing it yourself. I found Rhado Runs good as a decent overview, but not as a great rules learning exercise.

I would like to know if Jen is real, or if she is just a figment of Rahdos disturbed mind.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have good memories of Runebound as precisely a run around level up fantasy game. I also remember their expansion Sands of Al-Kalim (?) was really well done and made it almost an entirely new game. Then again last time I played was quite since time ago.

I also have a soft spot for DM-less adventure type games, so I'm looking forward to 3e Runebound and you can probably expect me to give a rundown on it if you can wait.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Broken Loose posted:

Has anybody spotted Tragedy Looper: Midnight Circle yet?

They had a ton of it at gencon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Saw a video earlier today about a board game based on Portal (as in the video game).

The video was basically just showing off components with a very, very light nod towards rules.

Has anyone played this? Is there actually a game there, or is it just *wink wink the cake is a lie wink remember cave johnson nod wink wink nod*?

Edit for video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XUK-lHi1Uc

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Crackbone posted:

They had a ton of it at gencon.

Has anybody bought me one yet?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

I would like to know if Jen is real, or if she is just a figment of Rahdos disturbed mind.

She's been in a few videos. Seems nice.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ConfusedUs posted:

Saw a video earlier today about a board game based on Portal (as in the video game).

The video was basically just showing off components with a very, very light nod towards rules.

Has anyone played this? Is there actually a game there, or is it just *wink wink the cake is a lie wink remember cave johnson nod wink wink nod*?

Edit for video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XUK-lHi1Uc

Jesus Christ.

They managed to make a Portal game where the purpose of the game is to collect cakes and place companion cubes to prevent other players from collecting cake while running from a useless Glados character stand who will throw anything behind her into an incinerator, and the portals themselves are the least controllable and important aspect. It's a concentration of all the stupid aspects of Portal that people carried away from it but without any of the stuff that actually made it good or worthwhile.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So a typical cross-media adaptation.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Broken Loose posted:

Jesus Christ.

They managed to make a Portal game where the purpose of the game is to collect cakes and place companion cubes to prevent other players from collecting cake while running from a useless Glados character stand who will throw anything behind her into an incinerator, and the portals themselves are the least controllable and important aspect. It's a concentration of all the stupid aspects of Portal that people carried away from it but without any of the stuff that actually made it good or worthwhile.

That was begging for a really cool many v one dungeon crawl adaptation. Thanks, Cryptozoic!

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Echophonic posted:

Thanks, Cryptozoic!

There's your problem right there

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hehe, Vlaada's Travel Blog is $15 right now at Tanga, plus another 25% off:
https://www.tanga.com/deals/03878a6e6824/travel-blog-the-board-game?internal_campaign=channel

Also, Expedition Northwest Passage is 29.99 and Spyrium 19.99 before the 25%

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Blamestorm posted:

So is Runebound 3e likely to be "not as good Mage Knight that I can actually theoretically both teach and play in one session to more than one other player at a time, and thus get out ten times as often?" Or will it be: "Talisman: the Grinding: the game?" Having never played the earlier ones I'm trying to assess whether it could be a nice slightly lighter "run around a map fantasy level up game" which sound quite appealing, as I can't think of any good ones outside of MK and that is so much effort for new players I mostly just play 2p.

Yeah I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences regarding runebound too

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So at work today i happen to see Devastation of Indines pass by and all i could really do was :aaaaa: at the size of the box and how pretty it looked. I'm familiar with Level 99 stuff so i can at least recognize the characters and stuff but what exactly is it about? That's not the fighting game is it?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So at work today i happen to see Devastation of Indines pass by and all i could really do was :aaaaa: at the size of the box and how pretty it looked. I'm familiar with Level 99 stuff so i can at least recognize the characters and stuff but what exactly is it about? That's not the fighting game is it?

It is. :3:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The Portal game was designed by Valve, not by CZE.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Blamestorm posted:

Assuming they keep the core of 2nd edition, Runebound is a slow paced game of running around and leveling up. It isn't as random as Talisman by any means (you aren't going to get frogged or ganked by the Reaper) but you also won't get the random windfalls Talisman can drop on players to mercifully end the game. You also lose out on the random weirdness of Talisman. Instead of events and strangers and wild unfair spells and all that jazz you just end up fighting monsters over and over again. You're also going to be dealing with what might just be the worst movement system ever designed. Oh, and I think the old edition has this weird inverse leveling curve where the first levels took forever and later levels went by in a flash which made the tedious beginning particularly painful. Hopefully they'll ditch that.

If there was a word to describe the last edition of Runebound, I think I would choose "plodding." Gun to my head I'd choose Talisman over it because I've laughed my rear end off at times while playing that game.

Please do not take this as an endorsement of Talisman.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yeah, Devastation is the big box, it's got like 30 different characters and a bunch of other stuff.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
At this point I'm pretty much sold on anything from level 99 games... except that I don't have the money for their ginormous boxes of expensive stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
At some point in the near future Level 99 is supposed to be releasing Fate of Indines which is a much more modestly priced $25 "starter set" that comes with 10 characters, and all the different sets (Fate, Devastation, and War) are fully compatible with one another so you're not just getting some kind of incomplete tutorial thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played Alchemists today, which I enjoyed more as a puzzle than a game. Like I kinda want Vlaada to make like some form of competitive sudoku or picross or something, because that's what it sorta felt like. The "worker placement" part of it just kinda got in the way of the puzzle solving, which was the fun part. The app got a bit annoying after a while, especially when it had some difficulty detecting stuff.

Of course, being a deductive puzzle, being better at logic than the other players is a pretty big advantage, but there was also this sorta extraneous "bluff" mechanic where you can bluff your successful formula in hopes that other players trust you enough to endorse it, thus causing them to lose points. It felt really eh, especially since you really don't have the actions and money to bluff that often, and it seemed to basically punish people for solving the puzzle, since one player did all the work, but the others could get just as much credit for it? Eh.

Like I said, fun puzzle to solve, but very eh game. Good to bring out every once in a while, but by no means a staple game. Shoulda played Argent instead for wizarding...

On the topic of Level 99 Games, as janky as their rules are (they really need that technical writer...), I do really like the ideas that they present in their games. I feel that they marry theme and mechanics very well, even if the rules don't really hold up well to the edge cases (and even some of the uncommon cases...), but their originality in design is usually enough to charm me, especially since their games aren't completely busted (that I can think of?) and are often really fun.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I saw a glimpse of her in a mirror in a hotel room in a video he did at a convention. It was terrifying.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Hehe, Vlaada's Travel Blog is $15 right now at Tanga, plus another 25% off:
https://www.tanga.com/deals/03878a6e6824/travel-blog-the-board-game?internal_campaign=channel

Also, Expedition Northwest Passage is 29.99 and Spyrium 19.99 before the 25%

How do you get the extra 25%?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Echophonic posted:

She's been in a few videos. Seems nice.

Yeah. She and Rahdo do play the games together, she's not just a prop, but she doesn't play in the videos unless it's really required (like with Mysterium). He tries to play in her style, though, so it's not two copies of Rahdo making optimal moves against one another.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Rutibex posted:

It seems she doesn't like to appear on camera which, considering this is the Internet, it's a pretty good idea.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Krazyface posted:

I would say that's working as intended. Yes going last is often a big help in a war but it's not the be-all and end-all of it.
Especially since it may mean you can then counter whatever they did to you with the orders before yours.

Also hell yes about Runebound. Since I have all the Descent 2nd Edition expansions it'd be fun to be able to play those heroes in a different context. Although it does make me feel like an enormous nerd that I can look at the models of the heroes in the video announcement and instantly recognise who they are!

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 1, 2015

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Xcom question- For science cards, is it OK to use the Alien alloy after work shopping cards? For several cards? It basically is advance paid free tech and provided you have enough scientists ready, can constantly cycle use 1-3 cards. It somewhat gets around teching in general since your discard pile becomes your deck and really opens things up.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I thought you don't reshuffle the science deck? Me and my group at first assumed you did but then when scouring the rules we couldn't actually find anything saying you do.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Looks like there's a one-day sale on board games today on Amazon. Guess I'll remain poor another week...

Here's a link: http://goo.gl/C86R5w

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.
What do you guys think I should get from this cool sale, Roll for the Galaxy, Tzolk'in, or Bora Bora?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Roll for the Galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

BeefyTaco posted:

What do you guys think I should get from this cool sale, Roll for the Galaxy, Tzolk'in, or Bora Bora?
Tzolk'in.

I guess Roll for the Galaxy if you like Race but don't already own it -- in my opinion Roll a lot better, but neither one is really a favorite.