Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Akett posted:

Hot drat, the gen 1 growlithe sprite is adorable. Compared to its contemporaries at least.

I don't know what you're--

...Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
This guy has a photographic memory

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Ekster posted:

How can you break a game this thoroughly without crashing. :psyduck:
Apparently it was coded without any kind of sanity checks, which are what programs use to go "HEY WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?" Like someone above said, until you rewrite the code to tell the gameboy to do something it physically cannot, this game will just keep on going no matter what you do to it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

deadpan posted:

Shoddy? Pokemon Blue is a blank canvas on which to paint your dreams.

the paint is made out of the tears of unborn children

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MegaZeroX posted:

"So Ditto can't transoform, but he can make other Pokemon transform, which is pretty cool."

I rejoined the stream before bed to check out what's happening and that's the first thing I hear.

Also I have no idea what's happening right now. Probably definitely gonna have to watch this later.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Ekster posted:

How can you break a game this thoroughly without crashing. :psyduck:

NRVNQSR posted:

:eng101: Time for another programming diversion!

Memory protection is a system that prevents programs from reading or writing bits of memory that they shouldn't, either because they're not allowed to or because the memory doesn't even exist. If a program tries, it will crash. When a modern game crashes, 95% of the time it's memory protection that strikes the killing blow: As the game gets more and more confused, it's more and more likely that it will ask a question it shouldn't and the system will smack it down. It might be called an "access violation" or a "segmentation fault" or a dozen other names, but they're all the same thing.

All modern PCs and almost all modern consoles have some form of memory protection. But as you go further back in time, especially on smaller portable consoles, it gets rarer and more limited; memory protection isn't free, and processing power was at a premium.

So when a gameboy game asks to read a bit of memory that's slightly wrong? Sure, go ahead. When, based on that, it tries to write to a chunk of memory that's miles from where it should be, smack in the middle of a Pidgey's sprite data? No problem. It can just keep going round in circles, getting more and more confused. It's all crazy, but without a memory manager keeping an eye on things none of it is actually going to make the game crash. As long as the game can find its way back out to some code that works again, it can carry on as if nothing had happened.

When a game on an old system like this actually crashes, it's usually either because the hardware has been asked to do something completely impossible (dividing by zero is a classic, though some systems will try anyway), because the program has gone into an infinite loop, or because the programmer has specifically told it to die ("if the player encounters a Pokemon that shouldn't exist, then crash").

Many games use that last one a lot; better to have the game crash than let it continue in a messed up form, especially if there's a risk of it messing up their saves. Obviously Pokemon isn't one of these games.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
In fairness (?) the lack of sanity checks had a lot to do with the incredibly limited memory of the Game Boy. A lot of other Game Boy games forewent sanity checks in the interest of space.

Link's Awakening comes to mind. You could get up to some wild poo poo in that game and it would just keep trying its hardest.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Ohtsam posted:

He also reimplemented the entire battle system for the N64 from the raw GB code with 0 documentation.

What does this mean, exactly? That he knew that Tackle had 95 accuracy from memory/from playing the game rather than having documents about it, etc? Or something different?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SavTargaryen posted:

This is loving wizardry, right? This is literally magic. I'm a goddamn programmer and I don't understand how this happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5T81yHkHtI
x2 speed the video. Watch them program balloons and the MLP theme in Pokemon Yellow.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Little does everyone know the only reason he's able to overcome such massive odds is because he has John Cena and no other reason. :smugdog:

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I rejoined the stream before bed to check out what's happening and that's the first thing I hear.

Also I have no idea what's happening right now. Probably definitely gonna have to watch this later.

They actually do a pretty solid job of explaining it in the commentary, which is great to see. Basically they tricked the game into making part of its coding visible to the player, so instead of swapping aroun bits of data that tell the game which items you have and how many of them, you're now manipulating bits of data that tell the game which part of the map you're on, and whether or not you're in a battle, and with which pokemon. :shepface:

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Rocketlex posted:

In fairness (?) the lack of sanity checks had a lot to do with the incredibly limited memory of the Game Boy. A lot of other Game Boy games forewent sanity checks in the interest of space.

Link's Awakening comes to mind. You could get up to some wild poo poo in that game and it would just keep trying its hardest.

MeccaPrime's LP of the game where he beats the game's dungeons in reverse order is a good showcase of that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was going to quote this, but much like most Iwata Asks, it's has too many good parts. Just go read the whole thing:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-As...te--225951.html

Covers his helping with the code and lots of other stuff.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

This takes on an almost mythic quality, he's using arcane secrets to transform items and to pull new ones from a place that didn't exist before. He's using those items to access and manipulate the very building blocks of his reality. He's achieved a mastery of his world such that distance doesn't matter, and he can access horrifying planes where everything breaks apart. He walks a thin line that if he errs from it will sunder reality.

Be thankful we don't have magic, this is what it would look like.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Imagine what kinds of poo poo they found during QA if the game at release was like this.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Sezza posted:

How does it feel, to be so wrong?
I knew Gen 1 was broke as gently caress, but I didn't realize how much runners had broken it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rorus Raz posted:

I knew Gen 1 was broke as gently caress, but I didn't realize how much runners had broken it.

There's a Lady Liberty in Saffron City crying a single tear with your avatar.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Rorus Raz posted:

The current world record for OOT any% is 17 minutes. The TAS route for gen 1 pokemon doesn't even require you to leave the house.

If there is a glitch to be exploited, given enough time, they will find it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Can we break a million? We might break a million.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Maple Leaf posted:

What does this mean, exactly? That he knew that Tackle had 95 accuracy from memory/from playing the game rather than having documents about it, etc? Or something different?

victrix posted:

I was going to quote this, but much like most Iwata Asks, it's has too many good parts. Just go read the whole thing:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-As...te--225951.html

Covers his helping with the code and lots of other stuff.

Read this it covers both examples of Iwata's coding with Pokemon

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

victrix posted:

Can we break a million? We might break a million.

Link to the Past, Mario 64, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger tomorrow. The only question is how high over a million they'll make it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

SWMadness posted:

The TAS route for gen 1 pokemon doesn't even require you to leave the house.

It doesn't need to be a TAS, you can do save corruption to beat the game without leaving the house.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Link to the Past, Mario 64, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger tomorrow. The only question is how high over a million they'll make it.

Also TASBot, which if you haven't seen it in past years, they reprogrammed Super Mario world into Super Mario Bros. and then turned pokemon red running in a super gameboy into a Twitch chat client.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This guy is basically molding Pokemon Blue like wet clay using his fingers, this is kind of disgusting

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The way DayNine just pops up all over the screen unexpectedly is very Gygas-like.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
that last pokemon catch glitch... the music...

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

So this is Lavender Town syndrome's true form.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT?!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
It's like a bad creepypasta story.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I love how for a second there it sounded like the game was playing the John Cena theme. Like it loving knows.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

D A Y N I N E

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

just when i think it can't get more insane

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

And then Dratini emerged from the hyper-realistic corpses of my parents!!!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm pretty sure this speedrun disproves the existence of God somehow.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

That sure spoke for itself alright.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Maple Leaf posted:

It's like a bad creepypasta story.

I hope it says SEAN at some point, just to watch the stream explode

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

never retire the champ dude

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
M evolves into Kengaskhan! :psyduck: