Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chinese spoiler scans are out. I'm at work however so I don't have a link on hand.

Bars folks.

Stain is a pretty tough customer- even Todoroki can't effectively hold him off, much less hurt him. Stain's quirk is explained, Midoriya's paralysis wears off. Even both Midoriya and Todoroki together still find themselves unable to make headway, and are starting to get injured (Stain throws two of his knives into Todoroki's fire arm and manages to cut Midoriya I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the Chinese scans.

God loving drat Stain is powerful. He's on a whole different level from Shiragaki in terms of fighting ability. He's got this incredibly strategic style of fighting where you have to pay attention to everything he's doing because he's constantly attacking you in different ways at the same loving time, like that quadruple threat he used against Torodoki. He's also goddamn terrifying when he gets serious.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He may be constantly being interrupted but Stain seems to be enjoying the poo poo out of himself.

Edit with really minor spoiler relating to Stain's quirk: Stain's power works on bloodtypes, with Stain's being A, Midoriya being O, and Iida being B if I remember right.

Vaguely clever. According to Japanese beliefs on bloodtypes...

A:
Best traits Earnest, sensible, reserved, patient, responsible
Worst traits Fastidious, overearnest, stubborn, tense

B:
Best traits Passionate, active, doer, creative, strong
Worst traits irresponsible, unforgiving, "going own way"

O:
Best traits Confident, self-determined, optimistic, strong-willed, intuitive
Worst traits Self-centered, cold, doubtful, unpredictable, "workaholic"

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 31, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
And then a thousand gross gay doujinshis were born from one or two panels of this update alone.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If the soft translations off /a/ are to be believed, Todoroki's made remarkable progress since his battle with Deku. :unsmith:

Man though, this fight's been a complete 180 from the Space Jam arc. Stain really is a beast. It's all Deku and Todoroki can do to stall for time.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Here's the Chinese scans.

God loving drat Stain is powerful. He's on a whole different level from Shiragaki in terms of fighting ability. He's got this incredibly strategic style of fighting where you have to pay attention to everything he's doing because he's constantly attacking you in different ways at the same loving time, like that quadruple threat he used against Torodoki. He's also goddamn terrifying when he gets serious.

Holy poo poo, this chapter looks intense. Can't wait for the translation so I can figure out what's going on with Ida; he looks like he's going through some sort of revelation while watching and listening to Deku and Hailfire.

The fight looks loving awesome too.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
its out

http://famatg.com/2015/08/01/update-my-hero-academia-chapter-53-eng/

pretty good

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Ida will superkick a bad guy in his face.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wild Horses posted:

Ida will superkick a bad guy in his face.
Remember that nothing I'd generally consider truly "regrettable" has happened to match Midorya's future narration. I mean if he gets up and whacks Stain and he gets driven off or whatever even if everyone's all cut up it's all good really.

Worst case scenario is that he gets up just in time to take a fatal blow for Todoroki. Still, this doesn't seem like that kind of series so I imagine not.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My guess is one of two things will happen:
  1. Iida is reprimanded and expelled, turning him towards vigilantism.
  2. Iida feels cheated of his chance at revenge and comes to blame Deku and Todoroki.
A distant third would be Iida being injured in such a way that his superhero career is put on hold indefinitely.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm thinking the issue will be that Iida ditched his hero at the worst possible time to enact his dumb revenge plot, and will result in major punishment from the school/heroes.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bad Seafood posted:

My guess is one of two things will happen:
  1. Iida is reprimanded and expelled, turning him towards vigilantism.
  2. Iida feels cheated of his chance at revenge and comes to blame Deku and Todoroki.
A distant third would be Iida being injured in such a way that his superhero career is put on hold indefinitely.

I really feel like it's gonna be No. 2 there, due to some weird paneling on the last two pages. I am not entirely sure who had the thought bubble that said "I'm gonna kill you!" but judging by how the three panels before it are all Iida dwelling on things people have said during the fight, I'm wondering if that was also Iida. Stain wouldn't have thought that (he's too busy being impressed with these proper hero types showing up who he doesn't want to kill), Deku wouldn't have thought that, Todoroki wouldn't have thought that, Nameless Hero Victim wouldn't have thought that. I'm left thinking that Iida is so resentful of being saved and failing his mission that he actively wants to kill Stain and/or his friends over getting in his way.

vvvv See, that makes more sense, but that panel didn't look like a flashback like the rest so I was confused about it.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 1, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure he was reminiscing of what Todoroki, Stain and Deku said (Variants of "Protect somebody") vs what he said ("I'll kill you") in the previous chapters.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Todoroki turned out alright :unsmith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure he was reminiscing of what Todoroki, Stain and Deku said (Variants of "Protect somebody") vs what he said ("I'll kill you") in the previous chapters.

To be correct it's what Stain said to him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't think we'll see the dark consequences of this stuff untill much later I'm guessing we'll just leave Ida with some bubbling resentment.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Here's hoping nothing too bad happens to Iida since I like his hero design

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Something bad is already happening to Iida.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure he might go a bit sauske

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

You guys are dark. Don't think ida will get redemption immediately?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Wild Horses posted:

Considering the narrator explicitly says that he regrets that he couldn't save/help Iida? No.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Twiddy posted:

Considering the narrator explicitly says that he regrets that he couldn't save/help Iida? No.

On the other hand, Iida just got his arm hosed up and stabbed a couple times while being taunted by the guy who crippled his brother. I'd feel pretty lovely about not realizing my friend was in such a bad place that he ran off and got himself into that situation.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wild Horses posted:

I'm with you on this, it looks like his reflection about his actions & what it means to be a hero are happening right now and he's going to turn it around. I could see him being in deep poo poo afterwards for leaving his post though.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm with you on this, it looks like his reflection about his actions & what it means to be a hero are happening right now and he's going to turn it around. I could see him being in deep poo poo afterwards for leaving his post though.
Yeah, any other manga, I would guess they would go with the anti hero route. I dunno, I guess Deku and friends are being such a support right now, it'd be strange to take it darker. It's a very upbeat manga. We'll have to see i guess v:shobon:v

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

On the other hand, Iida just got his arm hosed up and stabbed a couple times while being taunted by the guy who crippled his brother. I'd feel pretty lovely about not realizing my friend was in such a bad place that he ran off and got himself into that situation.
Everyone's mostly trying to guess how much dramatic license Horikoshi is taking with the future-Midoriya narration. Like, yeah I'd regret not noticing my friend was troubled until he got his arms cut up by a psychopath but this is a manga so those're anime injuries that'll be healed with bandages. So the deal is; what could happen that Midoriya would still regret?

I'd be kinda confused if he got in real trouble for vanishing from the side of his hero unless the dude literally got killed by a Noumu in the meanwhile. Like, the whole town is on loving fire and there's monsters and a deranged ninja turtle loving everything up confusion is expected.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Question were we supposed to learn the result of the Popularity Poll this week?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's two things really, the first being Deku's ominous narration as Fabricated and others have said.

The other though is that we're still very much in the incubation stage for this series. We've got a good bead on how things are supposed to operate, sure, but there's still some uncertainty. Generally speaking, I'd agree that MHA's pretty upbeat, but it's also a world that's implied to have "Consequences." People have died, albeit off-screen, and Iida's own brother has had his superhero career cut short. The plot itself is kickstarted by All Might's need to find a successor in light of his injuries, which will most likely mean his death at some point.

(gonna crib a bit from forums poster Xibanya here)

In the first chapter of Dragon Ball you have Bulma shooting Goku, a small child, with a gun. The bullets bounce off him harmlessly. Goku is annoyed, but otherwise unscathed. This immediately sets a certain tone for the series. In the real world this would be a fairly traumatic event, but Dragon Ball is not the real world. It's a cartoony world where consequences are mitigated in favor of comedy. Ha ha, she shot him. Hilarious. Even when Dragon Ball does get around to introducing more serious elements, the consequences are still kept reasonably low. Freiza may blow up an entire planet, but we can just wish everyone back with the dragon balls.

In the first chapter of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, a woman is sacrificed on a stone slab while another dude gets his blood sucked by an Aztec vampire. A few years later (in the very same chapter), a stagecoach accident kills George Joestar's wife and chauffeur. As with Dragon Ball, the level of consequence in this universe is made immediately clear. People die in Jojo. Sometimes they die horribly. Jojo is capable of being just as silly as Dragon Ball, of course, but even in its lighter moments you still have that lingering fear of death. When people die in Jojo, they typically stay dead.

If we wanna view Dragon Ball as one side of the scale and Jojo as the other, we still don't know exactly where MHA lies with regards to actions having consequences. I've talked a lot about death in this post, but I don't mean anybody (least of all Iida) needs to die to establish this. MHA is a fun world where kids have superpowers and design their own costumes. It's also a world with bullying, crippling injuries, and abusive parents. Will Iida recover from this, or will his character take a darker turn? In a lot of ways, this is where MHA will cement exactly where it falls on the spectrum.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

:eyepop: good post, good analysis of mood in the comic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, that pretty much.

Basically I think part of what might be keeping a lot of readers interested that might not be otherwise is that we haven't really had that "stakes raising" moment when you find out the boundaries of who or what is "off limits".

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can definitely see Ida taking the wrong message from Stain and becoming more jaded and anti hero i doubt it would be immediate though just a darkness festering deep down inside him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Elfgames posted:

I can definitely see Ida taking the wrong message from Stain and becoming more jaded and anti hero i doubt it would be immediate though just a darkness festering deep down inside him.
Just wait until the "Iida retrieval arc".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fabricated posted:

Don't even joke about that.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Who would be the Orochimaru in this scenario? Handyman and Black Mist?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JosephWongKS posted:

Who would be the Orochimaru in this scenario? Handyman and Black Mist?

They're the Sound Four. Handyman's ~mysterious mentor~ who made the nomous is Orochimaru.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Begemot posted:

They're the Sound Four. Handyman's ~mysterious mentor~ who made the nomous is Orochimaru.

I think it's someone who works with the mentor. When he mentions it in a previous page after the first one got captured he says he'll pass it along to have some more loaded up, implying he has a partner doing the actual nomu building while he just takes care of Shigaraki's stuff.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I still think the Hero Killer is going to Kill a Hero.

God, don't let it be Todoroki.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vengarr posted:

I still think the Hero Killer is going to Kill a Hero.

God, don't let it be Todoroki.

He's definitely not in a pretty-looking position at the end of this chapter. Stain is flipping out and coming right for him with those knives. Also, from a meta standpoint, we just got a big moving moment this chapter where Todoroki is revealed to have moved past his issues and is reconnecting with his mother; I'm not sure if this comic will actually pull killing one of the kids but if it will then he's thrown up some death flags this chapter.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, based on box explanation, the next person to have the paralysis wear off is going to be the first hero caught, so maybe they're the one who's going to die in a final act of self-sacrifice?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, based on box explanation, the next person to have the paralysis wear off is going to be the first hero caught, so maybe they're the one who's going to die in a final act of self-sacrifice?

That would make him a real hero and thus unkillable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr_Amazing posted:

That would make him a real hero and thus unkillable.

Seeing as how Japan still has remnants of a culture where you can redeem yourself by committing suicide...