Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Poque posted:

I adore thief. It's not terrible for wind either, just potion Siren to death and steal mythril daggers from Y-Burns in Walse Tower.

Oh, Thief is grand. I like being able to steal. Especially since I went with No750, so I'll almost certainly get someone capable of using the Genji set from Gilgamesh. I think this is the first run where I got both classes that can use the gear and the ability to nab all of it (I had Thief a few runs back, but my other three classes were Blue/Black/Ninja).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Just rolled another 750: Black / Red / Bard / Chemist

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=BregorSA

Enough with the Chemists, Gilgabot :colbert:

Thinking about Job Fairing Red into Summoner to eliminate two jobs I haven't had yet. But I don't want to pop my Job Fair cherry with such an easy team. Ah well, guess I'll stick with it.

e: Eh gently caress it, it's way too similar to my last 750 run. Job Fair GET

Bregor fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 1, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Pre-Water Thief was every bit as nasty as I remember. Forza's strongest attack was very nearly a one-shot, so I ended up having to move everyone to the back row and focus on healing. I used 48 Potions on North Mountain, and at least 30 of those were against Magissa+Forza. Garula was even worse, despite getting Mythril Knives and leveling up to 12. His attacks and counters both hit for about 80 (roughly 1/3 of any one character's HP), so l opted to move everyone but one person to the back and hope his counters hit them instead of my sole attacker. I dropped about 45 Potions in that fight.

Anyway, water job. I've noticed a pattern with my last 4 runs.

Run 5, Chaos: Got both Berserker and Bard
Run 6, Random: Got both Berserker and Bard
Run 7, 750: Got Bard
This run, No750: Got Berserker

So much for even distribution, Gilgabot. :sigh: Time to decide if I want another Job Fairing (thankfully I don't have any particular problem with my remaining potential classes, so I'd only need to JF this one).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Elf Cape for Garula :eng101:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Poque posted:

Elf Cape for Garula :eng101:

There's only one at that point, it works 25% of the time, and he has three other people he can choose to hit. :eng99:

Though admittedly Lenna brought it up more than a few times, so it was far from useless. Just not a real tide-turner.

Anyway, JFing over to Mystic Knight, because screw Berserker. I've done my Zerk-time with 4 of them already, and 2 in one run! I willingly accepted that one (it was to be expected from choosing to start with Chaos Berserker Risk), but I've had enough now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yeah but at least for counters you can give it to your main attacker. That fight still blows forever though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Two of the hardest fights I've had for FJF were Garula vs 4 Thieves and Garula vs 4 White Mages.

gently caress Garula.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
White Mages at least have the benefit of Cure and Protect, plus there's the Flail for the one person that's doing the attacking, so at least they can do so from the back row. Thieves have to sit in the front if they want full damage, and they're every bit as fragile with single-target healing (for less than Cure does) and no additional protection. 4 White Mages may take a while to kill him, but it's practically risk-free while 4 Thieves are a dangerous fight no matter what.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I just got Ninja/Beastmaster/Ranger/Dragoon for my 2nd run. I was hoping to at least obtain a rod breaker for this run, but I have no choice but to job fair for it. Would getting a Blue Mage over a Dragoon be a decent idea?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

4 Thieves in the back row with an adequate (50ish) supply of potions makes Garula tedious, but easy.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Thwack! posted:

I just got Ninja/Beastmaster/Ranger/Dragoon for my 2nd run. I was hoping to at least obtain a rod breaker for this run, but I have no choice but to job fair for it. Would getting a Blue Mage over a Dragoon be a decent idea?
If you're specifically wedded to having a rod breaking job, Blue Mage is one of the best jobs in the game. This is about general quality of life throughout the run, I assume? Beastmaster alone would be able to get you a triple crown, but it's research-intensive...

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Edit: Need to replace this mouse that occasionally double-clicks without warning!

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

NGDBSS posted:

If you're specifically wedded to having a rod breaking job, Blue Mage is one of the best jobs in the game. This is about general quality of life throughout the run, I assume? Beastmaster alone would be able to get you a triple crown, but it's research-intensive...

Yeah, looking at what Blue Mages can do... kinda trivializes the game quite a bit with my team comp. gently caress it, I'm sticking with these bad boys.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bregor posted:

Two of the hardest fights I've had for FJF were Garula vs 4 Thieves and Garula vs 4 White Mages.

gently caress Garula.

I know it's on me for using the Fiesta Mod, but four Bards versus Garula was a new dimension of hell.

E: So was versus Magisa and Forza.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Every now and then I think to myself I should try out one of the riskier runs like Random or Chaos but then I read about some poor schmuck getting stuck with four Geomancers for the entire game and change my mind.

Vanilla, please.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Every now and then I think to myself I should try out one of the riskier runs like Random or Chaos but then I read about some poor schmuck getting stuck with four Geomancers for the entire game and change my mind.

Vanilla, please.

Random doesn't have repeat jobs and doesn't require the mod. It's fun and good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, Random owns. Chaos owns too, but Chaos is like Random Hell Mode.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Plus Random always picks from the current and past selection of jobs, so you're guaranteed to have 3 different jobs after a couple hours.

And Chaos? Well, it's aptly named, I'll give it that. Still, people have gotten through nasty runs (I myself got 2 Berserkers and 2 Earth jobs, meaning I was stuck with 4 Zerkers until I beat Archeoaevis; Sandworm was a BITCH but I managed it), so nothing is impossible.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
An all berserker run sounds kind of chill, actually. You're basically just observing at that point.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crimson Harvest posted:

An all berserker run sounds kind of chill, actually. You're basically just observing at that point.

It is kind of interesting. Until you observe your team take several dozen attempts against Liquid Flame. And Byblos. And Sandworm. And Soul Cannon. And there's probably some unpleasant surprises in worlds 2 and 3 I didn't get to.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final No750 team layout: Thief/Mystic*/Ranger/Samurai
*JF'd from Zerk
Honestly, whatever I got from the third one would've only helped me to break the game over my knee, to the point where I wouldn't have minded getting Dragoon for Earth. As it is, this team is pretty :getin:-worthy.

Only problem is I don't I'll be able to handle Shinryu with this team (ironically Dragoon MIGHT have been able to help with that). Shame, but so it goes. At least Omega will probably be doable with the Reflected Target strategy (Rapid-Fire and Thundaga Sword will definitely do for damage).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Grinding for Staves of Light is so much faster and easier when your entire team can cast Aeroga. I almost didn't bother but then I realized oh yeah, Time Mage can equip staves so might as well grab a few to crack on Exdeath at least.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Run number 3 done! :toot: Went for the brave blade again, but this time I sorely regretted it since my dancer wasn't able to pump out much damage without using a equip weapon skill; If I picked up the chicken knife I could have given him equip shields and help his survivability. Highlights: Running out of phoenix downs in the Void, to the point where I finished Necrophobe with none left in inventory (and forcing me to buy some more outside the void), and taking on NED at a low level and gambling on an Aegis block on Almagest and raw damage rushing to kill it before it got a second one off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Run #1, not bad as far as party composition goes, loading up the summoner and the black mage with X-Magic made the endgame pretty straightforward, plus chemists are just good in general

Naturally this is a FARTZ run

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Fork tower. Magic-only side. Hardly any magic in my party at all. I can't believe this worked.

Equip a reflect ring and just let him throw a tantrum at you until runs out of MP. Then, smack him with swords because doesn't have the MP to cast Return as a counter.

Magic-only tower, my rear end.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have thought of this, but.. hey, this has been my favorite cheese so far.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna stream probably World 1 of my second Four Job Fiesta because I'm bored and have nothing else to do. More fast-forward abuse so I'll be playing various video game music instead of the audio. Using Can of Worms's hack.

Thief/Berserker/Bard/Dancer

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Tried another regular run hoping for an interesting combo, instead I get... Monk/Summoner/Geomancer/Chemist, which is my 750 run except with monk subbing in for White. drat you, Gilgabot! :argh:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

I have no idea how many times I had to reset before he stopped using Earth Shaker right before he went into Targetting. Now I don't feel so guilty for going the cheap route of Songlocking his rear end for the last 3 runs.

On the plus side, once I finally got everyone to live until Targetting, it only took one follow-up round of Thundaga Sword Rapid Fire to bring him down. Still, gently caress you Omega.

EDIT: Hot drat, I didn't think I'd pull this off, but I got him.

It took about a dozen attempts (many of which were ended by Snowstorm), a crapload of lucky Aegis blocks, an Artful Dodger Samurai throwing Masamune Hastes and Phoenix Downs around, a Dark Bow blinding on Shin, and a Flare Sword Enhancer Mystic Knight and Chicken Knife Thief both Rapid Firing like mad.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 2, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Victory #8 / Triple Crown #6! Team No750: Thief / Mystic Knight/ Ranger / Samurai

This was a really fun and well-balanced team. Mystic, Ranger, and Samurai were all powerful fighters, and if Thief was a little underpowered compared to the rest, it made up for it with valuable steals and !Flee action. And once people started picking up Rapid Fire, enemy teams just about pissed themselves. Even Omega and Shinryu fell before this insane flurry of attacks.

Fun fact: This is also the first time I've ever beaten the game with a character downed; the Grand Cross section of NED lived about a full round after the physical section (the other two going down to Odin and Break Sword long before that), and being a jerk, decided to smack Krile down with Vacuum Wave the instant after I confirmed the game-winning Rapid-Fire on Lenna (who herself ate a Comet after the VW). It was kind of interesting to see how the ending changed, since I've always had everyone alive at the end.

Anyway, kind of a relief that I took this one out so quickly. Now I've got about a month to get two more runs and meet my goal of 10 runs. I've already beaten my performance of 7 runs last year, so that's something. I'll probably make both of my last runs Chaos runs for the hell of it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Run #5, Triple Crown #3

Chaos: Ninja, Samurai, Dragoon, Destroyer of the Universe (Chemist)

All I have to say is holy poo poo chemist is so god drat amazing. :stonklol:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's been so long since I had Time Mage in the Fiesta I had forgotten that Teleport automatically ends random battles. And here I've been trying to run from them like a sucker!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's been so long since I had Time Mage in the Fiesta I had forgotten that Teleport automatically ends random battles. And here I've been trying to run from them like a sucker!

Yeah, Teleport is one of the best spells. I also went on about how Reset/Return is just so helpful earlier. And Comet is unreflectable non-elemental damage for only 7 MP (Meteor is even better for damage, but expensive). And I daresay I don't even need to talk about how handy Haste and Slow are. Time Magic is just the best for so many reasons.

Also, has anyone had a victory since last night that hasn't gotten approved? Mine from a few posts up are all still unconfirmed and I'm wondering if RK just hit another backlog (you'd think he wouldn't have so many of those so late in the Fiesta, but :shrug:) or if mine got overlooked somehow.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Sweet, my last victory got approved at last. Chaos run time!

Gilgabot posted:

@Bufuman can now use the Water Job 'Summoner'. Side quest time!

...Eep. Considering I'm playing the fiesta mod, this is going to suck rear end until I get to Walse.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So I'm trying to figure out if it would be more efficient to use Rods or Daggers for my summoners (though obviously I'll need to get more Daggers for that), and the SNES mechanics guide mentions the bug in calculating the multiplier for knife damage. Can I assume that was fixed for the GBA version, and if not by Square, hopefully whoever made the fiesta mod?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

So I'm trying to figure out if it would be more efficient to use Rods or Daggers for my summoners (though obviously I'll need to get more Daggers for that), and the SNES mechanics guide mentions the bug in calculating the multiplier for knife damage. Can I assume that was fixed for the GBA version, and if not by Square, hopefully whoever made the fiesta mod?

No, and no, because it'd make daggers far and away the best weapon type in the game. It is a very intentional balancing decision.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

No, and no, because it'd make daggers far and away the best weapon type in the game. It is a very intentional balancing decision.

Fair enough. Not like it matters early on anyway, since I probably won't get high enough levels to get much of a multiplier on it before I finally pick up summons.

Anyway, from the looks of it, Rods can get higher max damage from Summoners and aren't affected by row, but since their base attack is ((0...WeaponAttack) + 2), it's not uncommon to see it do 0 damage. Also, it's checked against Magic Defense rather than Defense, and most of the early game enemies have 0 Defense and 5-10 Magic Defense. So in the end Knives are probably going to end up better. Though it's a moot point until I can get more Daggers.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

On the bright side, it's very easy to run away from random encounters this early in the game. The bosses might be a bit tedious, but neither Karlboss nor Siren are much of a threat, and you can use the Ice Rod to kill Magissa without Forza showing up. After that, you'll have access to Chocobo and Remora, which trivialise Garula.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 3, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Gee I've been grinding statues forever, surely I'm close to Dualcast...

:manning:

EDIT: At least I finally just got a TwinLance. After stealing 55 HiPotions first.

EDIT2: Not so bad. About 50 more minutes realtime for this. Plus "Corn" mastered Thief in the same battle, which will be helpful til I get the Rune Axe.

Poque fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 3, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon/Dancer for this Chaos run. This will be... interesting.

On the plus side, this should be another triple crown, what with Calmlocking and Wonder Wand Berserk + Golem.

Though it's interesting to note that this is the first time in 16 runs that I've actually been assigned Beastmaster (I've only had it once before, and I JF'd for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

Though it's interesting to note that this is the first time in 16 runs that I've actually been assigned Beastmaster (I've only had it once before, and I JF'd for it).

I'm not done with it - I need to finish changing the SNES and PSX tabs - but I did make a recommended catches spreadsheet.

If anyone has suggestions for Melusine/Calofiesteri I'm open to ideas but jesus christ just knife them.

• Locked thread