Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xanderkish posted:

The reveal that Mr. Jefferson was behind a lot of it actually helps me make more sense of the rumors of him having sex with Rachael Amber. Like any relationship like that is going to have a major power imbalance, but I didn't initially think all that much of it because I was thinking about it in that quirky sort of teenage 'hot for teacher' sort of way, like the rumors were portraying it as. But thinking about it more I realize, yeah, of course Mr. Jefferson might do something like that. Even if Rachael was making advances on him like Victoria, he could refuse, but he didn't, because that power imbalance tied in with the complexities of a relationship plus a young person who's not as used to things like that as he is makes a perfect storm for manipulation, making it all the easier for him to kidnap her. To the extent that I'm surprised he didn't accept Victoria's advances, at least in that one scene in Episode 3, since it would probably make it a lot easier for him to kidnap her too.

I feel like Jefferson was holding out for Max to submit her photo for the Everyday Heroes contest so that he could take her to San Francisco instead of Victoria, who he planned to drug & photograph after the Vortex Club party the following evening. But he learns from Nathan that Max & Chloe have caught wind of his plans so he sloppily had to abduct Max on the same night as Victoria. I suspect that Jefferson has some kind of knowledge of Max's time traveling powers and/or has that same power himself and wants to turn her into his twisted protege like Nathan, not drug & torture her like the other girls at Blackwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
There are a lot of assumptions going on around here.

- Mr. Jefferson has time travel powers like Max? What evidence is there to support this?
- Mr. Jefferson knows about Max's time travel powers? How?
- Mr. Jefferson wants Max as a protégé? What would make Jefferson think that Max is a sociopath that would readily agree to this?
- Mr. Jefferson wanted Max to submit a photo so he can abduct her?
He did a pretty good job of doing it without her submitting a photo. Rachel, Kate, and Victoria are all blonde 18 year olds. It seems Mr. Jefferson has a preferred victim that isn't Max. To me, his abducting Max has more to do with the fact that she was on to his operation than anything else.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Torgo2727 posted:

- Mr. Jefferson has time travel powers like Max? What evidence is there to support this?
- Mr. Jefferson wants Max as a protégé? What would make Jefferson think that Max is a sociopath that would readily agree to this?
He did a pretty good job of doing it without her submitting a photo. Rachel, Kate, and Victoria are all blonde 18 year olds. It seems Mr. Jefferson has a preferred victim that isn't Max. To me, his abducting Max has more to do with the fact that she was on to his operation than anything else.

There's no actual evidence for any of that as far as I know

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I think warren is a time traveling space wizard too and his "go ape" plan is just a cover to take max back to his space ship and fly through the universe and dont make fun of me guys its just a hunch i got from the game!!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's just (mostly) baseless speculation. Jefferson's preferential treatment of Max throughout the game, the fact that he subdues her before shooting Chloe, his connection to the Prescotts and frustrated relationship with Nathan all make me think that Jefferson knows something about Max's power and/or the coming storm. Maybe Rachel Amber was in the same situation, but she refused and he then had to kill her, who knows. I could be totally wrong but I think that Jefferson definitely knows there's more to Max than he lets on.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Torgo2727 posted:

I think the big thing for these two is that Mr. Jefferson injected her with the needle that stopped her time traveling powers. Now whether that means there's some time-travel-canceling serum in there, or if it's just normal drugs that can do that remains to be seen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Her powers stopped working with just being tired so my guess is just about anything manages to jack up her powers, but she hasn't been in any situations to cause it besides the roof with Kate.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
There's no way Jefferson has developed a special time-travel-powers-cancelling serum. It'll just be a normal drug. It was really sad though how you can see Max trying desperately to use her rewind power while she's lying on the ground after it happens. :(

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

might wanna fix that friend

Also.

If the game gave you the option to save Chloe but it spawned the tornado we've been seeing visions of since the 1st episode, would you do it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

While we're on the subject of crazy speculation, the game has frequently invoked Native American folklore in associating several characters with their own spirit animal. Max is the doe, Chloe is the butterfly, Samuel is the squirrel, and so on. Episode 4 has introduced a new animal, the owl, in two key areas. Its first appearance is in the barn shortly before Max and Chloe enter the darkroom. It returns again in the junkyard, where it briefly swoops by Max and startles her. Here's what wikipedia, the well-regarded online encyclopedia that anyone can edit, has to say about owls:

quote:

In most Native American folklore, owls are a symbol of death. Hearing owls hooting is considered the subject of numerous '"bogeyman" stories told to warn children to remain indoors at night or not cry too much, otherwise the owl may carry them away according to Seminole and Apache tribes. In some tribal legends, owls are associated with spirits of the dead, and the bony circles around an owl's eyes are said to be made up of the fingernails of apparitional humans. Sometimes owls are said to carry messages from beyond the grave or deliver supernatural warnings to people who have broken tribal taboos. Also in many other Native American cultures including Cherokee and Choctaw, owls are a very bad omen. According to various legends, if you are outside in the broad day light and an owl flies over your head, a family member or loved one would die within the coming week.

Pawnee tribes viewed owls as the symbol of protection from any danger within their realms. Ojibwe tribes as well as their First Nation counterparts used an owl as a symbol for both evil and death. In addition, they used owls as a symbol of very high status of spiritual leaders of their spirituality. Pueblo people associated owls with Skeleton Man, the god of death and spirit of fertility. Yakama tribes use an owl as a powerful totem. Such taboos or totems often guide where and how forests and natural resources are useful with management, even to this day and even with the proliferation of "scientific" forestry on reservations.

According to the culture of the Uto-Aztec tribe, the Hopi, taboos surround owls, which are associated with sorcery and other evils. The Aztecs and Maya, along with other natives of Mesoamerica, considered the owl a symbol of death and destruction. In fact, the Aztec god of death, Mictlantecuhtli, was often depicted with owls. There is an old saying in Mexico that is still in use: Cuando el tecolote canta, el indio muere ("When the owl cries/sings, the Indian dies"). The Popol Vuh, a Mayan religious text, describes owls as messengers of Xibalba (the Mayan "Place of Fright"). The belief that owls are messengers and harbingers of the dark powers is also found among the Hočągara (Winnebago) of Wisconsin. When in earlier days the Hočągara committed the sin of killing enemies while they were within the sanctuary of the chief's lodge, an owl appeared and spoke to them in the voice of a human, saying, "From now on the Hočągara will have no luck." This marked the beginning of the decline of their tribe. An owl appeared to Glory of the Morning, the only female chief of the Hočąk nation, and uttered her name. Soon afterwards she died. People often allude to the reputation of owls as bearers of supernatural danger when they tell misbehaving children, "the owls will get you."

So owls are an omen of bad luck and impending doom in two areas highly connected to one specific character. It's also funny that in the West, owls are conversely seen as a symbol of wisdom and intelligence. Wonder who the owl represents?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

Also.

If the game gave you the option to save Chloe but it spawned the tornado we've been seeing visions of since the 1st episode, would you do it?

Kill her without a second thought

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

Kill her without a second thought

Right choice. Next question. How many nerds on the steam forums would do the exact opposite?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Viva Miriya posted:

Right choice. Next question. How many nerds on the steam forums would do the exact opposite?

Look at this toolbag who doesn't believe in the power of friendship.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

Majority, and I also guarantee a bunch of them would make a negative comment about Warren like "Why can't it be if he lives or dies, then I can kill that stalker"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

Majority, and I also guarantee a bunch of them would make a negative comment about Warren like "Why can't it be if he lives or dies, then I can kill that stalker"

I'm gonna find out.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Viva Miriya posted:

Also.

Protect Chloe Price at all costs. :colbert:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Viva Miriya posted:

Also.

Eh gently caress this town, everyone will be better off if it is destroyed anyways. Then the Prescotts can rule over a pile of ashes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viva Miriya posted:

Why do you care?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

So owls are an omen of bad luck and impending doom in two areas highly connected to one specific character. It's also funny that in the West, owls are conversely seen as a symbol of wisdom and intelligence. Wonder who the owl represents?

The owls are not what they seem.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Why do you care?

I am bored and this isn't doing it for me anymore.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's just (mostly) baseless speculation. Jefferson's preferential treatment of Max throughout the game, the fact that he subdues her before shooting Chloe, his connection to the Prescotts and frustrated relationship with Nathan all make me think that Jefferson knows something about Max's power and/or the coming storm. Maybe Rachel Amber was in the same situation, but she refused and he then had to kill her, who knows. I could be totally wrong but I think that Jefferson definitely knows there's more to Max than he lets on.

Note the bunker is called a "Stormbreaker". That cannot be a coincidence.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Viva Miriya posted:

In a second, gently caress that town. Let the Prescotts own a pile of debris.

Larry Parrish posted:

Look at this toolbag who doesn't believe in the power of friendship.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Well poo poo, no wonder Alt-Chloe was getting so much worse. Her doctor was absolutely ABOMINABLE! (relevant screenshot, no major spoilers, this is in the first 30 minutes or so): http://i.imgur.com/czqKdVf.jpg)

I love these delightful French developers and their references :allears:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get it

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"Hello, this is Doktor Voigt from the Spinal Center, your new... spine is ready Ms. Price"

Life is Strange 2: Spine Eater: Revengeance :unsmigghh:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't get it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abominable_Dr._Phibes

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I noticed how 2 of the license plates were "TWLGHTZN" and "TWNPKS" in ep4, i think they appeared in earlier episodes though, right?
Couldn't figure out if the others meant anything.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah those have both popped up at least a couple times. I haven't played all of Episode 4 yet, but I'll be sure to continue my exciting license plate recap if I find any new ones.

I did screencaps of (I think) all the plates from the earlier episodes, you can find them in my older posts in the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698214&userid=18902

People in the thread have figured them all out so far. This one was a bit deeper, I wonder how much stuff I'm missing.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Someone did a breakdown of what show/movie each corresponded to. I think Breaking Bad was one?

e: Someone was evidently RightClickSaveAs

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Haha, that fedora M'Lady tshirt was amazing. Drone girl being a total bitch to me wasn't great though.

As for the ending Oh gently caress, really!? Sexy teacher?!

Also, everyone chose to let Chloe die in the alt-world, right? If I was in her position it's what I'd want

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did not

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Torgo2727 posted:

To me, all that talk of "destiny" in his note in the Dark Room suggested some knowledge of or connection to the larger forces at work here. Perhaps the kidnappings are some kind of occult ritual that lets them tap into whatever source is giving Max her powers.

Of course, the alternative is they have no idea about any of this, and they just think their sadism has some kind of higher purpose, like they've created some kind of philosophy or religion around it as an elaborate justification. Which is arguably more interesting, but it doesn't tie things together quite as well.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Max uses the selfie she takes in the first scene to travel back in time to stop Jefferson from kicking off the whole plot at least with Kate, but Jefferson has used his own selfie to travel back 10 minutes earlier and bonks her on the head. Really Primer the Game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Andrew_1985 posted:

Drone girl being a total bitch to me wasn't great though.

Yeah. Brooke is kind of rude. She said something like "I hope Max isn't pissed, that Warren invited me." everytime Max ran past her, just to rub it in. And literally every conversation leads to her gushing over him. I know my Max doesn't really like Warren, but Brooke assumes she does and tries to hurt her this way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That's weird, My Max is actually interested in Warren, and yet me and Brooke are relatively cool, I mean it's obvious she likes Warren, but she doesn't hate me or attack me or anything.

She will occasionally be real passive aggressive about Warren asking me for help though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Brooke was cool with me too and I didn't give a gently caress about Warren or going ape with im.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also, everyone chose to let Chloe die in the alt-world, right? If I was in her position it's what I'd want

I didn't because that's kind of a messed up thing to spring on a friend you've just reconnected with after five years. Imagine if you were stuck in that timeline too -- what would you say to Joyce and William after you've just euthanized their daughter, because "it's totally what she wanted guys, no seriously trust me on this"? They know Chloe is sick but it's their collective decision to make, not yours.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wouldn't it be more Chloe's decision herself?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't because that's kind of a messed up thing to spring on a friend you've just reconnected with after five years. Imagine if you were stuck in that timeline too -- what would you say to Joyce and William after you've just euthanized their daughter, because "it's totally what she wanted guys, no seriously trust me on this"? They know Chloe is sick but it's their collective decision to make, not yours.

I eventually decided to accept her request, but had some difficulty with it.
My two reasons were 1) in Walking Dead s1 I didn't make Clementine shoot Lee and felt bad about it
and 2) I think I once argued for assisted suicide in school philosophy once.
e: I didn't know what to expect so was a tiny bit surprised to see the majority of players chose the same option.

sout fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I said no because while I don't got anything against people deciding on that course of action, ingame *Max* certainly had no business doing the deed at that point.

• Locked thread