Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think history has proved that Allenby is batshit crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Drove down to La Costa yesterday with a buddy of mine to play 36 holes. The courses are beautiful resort courses that play much tougher than your average resort course.

My rounds were nothing special, so I won't bore everyone with the scorecard/recap posting, but playing there made us both remember this from back in 1997.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQWWLbSAxE

The actual golf happens around the 14 minute mark if you want to skip ahead, but here's the quick recap:

It's the 1997 Tournament of Champions. Tiger turned pro in '96 and had already won twice, getting him into the ToC for his 9th start as a pro. He's tied with Tom Lehman for the lead after Saturday (which he finished with four consecutive birdies) and there's massive amounts of rain on Sundays, causing the PGA to cancel the final round and set up a one hole playoff on the par-3 7th hole. It's the only hole they can keep dry enough to be playable and it's right outside the clubhouse so the fans can at least watch.

Lehman goes first and dunks his shot in the water. Everyone's assuming Tiger will just go for the middle of the green and win it, but since he's young Tiger Woods he sticks it to a foot and wins for the 3rd time in 9 starts, putting him over the $1m career earnings mark.

He got $260k for that win. This year Jordan Spieth won $1.14m for winning the ToC.

There are a bunch of other pretty fascinating facts that they discuss during the video that are amazing in the context of where golf is today vs. less than 20 years ago.

Edit: Added the bit about how Tiger finished Saturday by birdieing 15-16-17-18 just to make it into the playoff.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 24, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Allenby is loving crazy and now Im even sadder I passed up those tickets to go down there yesterday to watch. And of course the most stereotypically Canadian thing happens and a fan offers to carry his clubs. :canada:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BCRock posted:

but playing there made us both remember this from back in 1997.
https://youtu.be/qRQWWLbSAxE

This is a pro loving click.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

David Hearn is a goofy looking dude but I hope he does well today. -1 thru 3 so far. :canada:

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Hit my first ever par today, as well as my first ever GIR. Ended up three-putting for a 5 on the GIR and shot 108 overall but still super happy with the round especially as it's only my second full 18.

Next stop 100!

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Jason Day crushing :canada:'s dreams :D

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Angry Asian posted:

Jason Day crushing :canada:'s dreams :D

Would have been sick if Hearn made eagle and there was a playoff, but as long as Bubba didn't win I'm happy.

I shot a 99 Wednesday while camping on a super narrow and relatively long course which was still rather disappointing. The guys I played with were in agreement that the groundskeeper needs to get laid because at least 4 holes were cut on slopes that made it impossible to leave a putt within 2-3 feet even if you started below the hole.

This week I'm playing as the guest with my boss in his Member-Guest tourney that even includes a Friday practice round on top of banquets both days and drinks, and the course is flat and wide open. I've never played with him but he says he can drive the ball quite a ways and it's like a 6500 yard course so we should have some fun.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

This week I'm playing as the guest with my boss in his Member-Guest tourney that even includes a Friday practice round on top of banquets both days and drinks, and the course is flat and wide open. I've never played with him but he says he can drive the ball quite a ways and it's like a 6500 yard course so we should have some fun.

Enjoy it. Lot of people freak out about playing with the boss, regardless of how they personally feel towards them, but I played a similar scramble with my boss a few months ago and had a blast.

Man, I played the brand new Golden Nugget course in Lake Charles earlier this morning. It was maybe the best manicured course I've ever played. I can only recount two blemishes on the entire course. One was a greenside bunker that needed just a little more sand, and the other was an old hole location that didn't take replacing well, so they tried to sand over it. Everything else was just amazing.

It wasn't the most original layout, nor would I make the trip to play on a whim - it's like $160, but the mother in law got me on for free - but it was a good day. Shot 74, including another trio of straight bogeys at the beginning of the round. Turned in 38, then came home in even 36 (one bogey, one birdie). Last hole is a 570 yard par 5 that I nearly reached in two with driver - driver. Best of all, my chip from just off the front nearly went in for eagle. I don't normally hit driver off the deck, mainly because it's risky and hard AF, but it worked out well.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What is the best interval for lessons when starting out? I finished my 5 week "Get Golf Ready" clinic and I want to continue to improve. My consistency with ball striking is getting better and I think I am on the right path. I had a 1 on 1 session with the coach from my clinic and it was really helpful. I am going to stick with him for now. My friend who shoots in the 70's took his first lessons from the same coach and he likes him also.

I am thinking a 30 minute lesson every other week would probably be the best. Is every other week the right spacing? I feel like weekly might be too much.

I have a net and (crappy) hitting mat in my backyard and I will go to the range at least once a week (probably twice) and play once if that matters.

I still have not broken 100 but I have shot 106 or below my last 4 rounds. I never shot below 124 until 2 months ago so I am happy. My friends (all shoot in the 80s) have said my swing looks much better.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 27, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Would have been sick if Hearn made eagle and there was a playoff, but as long as Bubba didn't win I'm happy.

I'm of the same opinion. Bit silly really because I love watching him hit the ball. I just think he's a tosser.

Hope they have a replay on tonight for that final round, sounds like an amazing finish.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I guess I was the only one hoping for Bubba to win/get in a playoff with Day? Remind me again why you guys don't like Bubba? Sure he's a headcase, but you gotta admit when he's on his game he's one of the most exciting guys to watch play.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

I guess I was the only one hoping for Bubba to win/get in a playoff with Day? Remind me again why you guys don't like Bubba? Sure he's a headcase, but you gotta admit when he's on his game he's one of the most exciting guys to watch play.

He can be an rear end at times and he's one of the least liked guys on the tour.

Personally I like the guy but I can see why he'd bug people.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

What is the best interval for lessons when starting out? I finished my 5 week "Get Golf Ready" clinic and I want to continue to improve. My consistency with ball striking is getting better and I think I am on the right path. I had a 1 on 1 session with the coach from my clinic and it was really helpful. I am going to stick with him for now. My friend who shoots in the 70's took his first lessons from the same coach and he likes him also.

I am thinking a 30 minute lesson every other week would probably be the best. Is every other week the right spacing? I feel like weekly might be too much.

I have a net and (crappy) hitting mat in my backyard and I will go to the range at least once a week (probably twice) and play once if that matters.

I still have not broken 100 but I have shot 106 or below my last 4 rounds. I never shot below 124 until 2 months ago so I am happy. My friends (all shoot in the 80s) have said my swing looks much better.

Every other week would be a good interval. At this point in your development, you'll benefit from having an instructor checking your form. Having lessons more often can help but if you're not putting in a bunch of reps you're basically paying him to tell you the same thing over and over. I'd also recommend spending at least 50% of your lesson and practice time on pitching, chipping and putting. If you want to break 100 you'll be best served by learning to consistently get your ball on the green when you're near it and 2-putt once you're on it.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

mattfl posted:

Water on the club face, bro

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Yo zinc, you still up for playing a round this coming weekend? Let me know which day works best for you and we can set something up.

Also, leaving for a corporate scramble in about an hour. Apparently there are some pretty good golfers at this company, I'm predicting something ridiculous like a 57 wins it.

They have hole competitions on EVERY hole though, I've never seen that before. There's like four or five longest drive holes.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 27, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

ironlung posted:

Water on the club face, bro

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/8/8/5982985/bubba-watson-curses-complains-pga-championship-2014 for context.

Bubba Watson is a bit of a mental midget.

Edit - Got my TP-X balls in. Thanks for honoring the bet, Josh Lyman. Hope I can put them to good use tomorrow.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
After playing back and forth with ProV1's and Taylormade TP's I've pretty much decided I find next no difference in distance, control, flight, putting etc. Henceforth I shall be using all Taylormade TP balls since they are cheaper.

Edit: and I just got 5 dozen for cheap :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 27, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

thebushcommander posted:

After playing back and forth with ProV1's and Taylormade TP's I've pretty much decided I find next no difference in distance, control, flight, putting etc. Henceforth I shall be using all Taylormade TP balls since they are cheaper.

Edit: and I just got 5 dozen for cheap :D

TM balls are legit. I used to play TP Blacks, and then I switched to the TP Black LDP line. Once Pentas came down in price, I switched again. I didn't play a Lethal ball until last week, when I found one in some thick rough. It had "BOO" stamped on the side, and I like to think it was Boo Weekley's ball.

I'm sure the TP-X will be just as good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bubba's an aspie and jerk to people in person (according to many,) but IMO fantastic to watch play when he's on his game and talking to his imaginary friends and hitting insane shots. On the downside, nobody packs it in quicker when things are tough.

Hoping 2 weeks off have assuaged my nagging injuries and I can hit full shots without yelping like a bitch during 3 rounds up in Las Vegas Jr (Reno) this weekend.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah don't get me wrong, seeing him hit a gap wedge from 170 and fly it past the hole, or those ridiculous huge slices that still somehow go 350+ are cool to watch and he's an amazing player. But he also seems like a nut and it's fun to root against him.

Shot a 76 this morning (par 70) at my home course so I guess only playing once in the last 10 days didn't mess me up too badly. This week is supposed to be like 90ish every day which is hot as balls for upstate NY, so I'll probably be limited to 9 holes in the evening when it's not quite so bad. The weekend looks a bit better for my tourney though. Had my boss put me down as a 12 handicap and I think he's like a 20ish, but since it's an easy course I'm betting we'll be under par both days. There's like 54 teams in this thing and it's broken down into a bunch of flights so whether you actually win anything seems like pure chance.

Apparently they do the betting where every team can be bid on and if you have the winning team you get most of the money, anyone ever done that? I think it's Calcutta? Do people typically just buy their own team or what? I could see if it was like a country club where you know everyone you could have an idea on who might play well and be worth trying to buy but if you don't know anyone else I'm not sure what to do. Try to jack up prices on some other teams just to get more money in the pot?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Suprfli6 posted:

This week is supposed to be like 90ish every day which is hot as balls for upstate NY, so I'll probably be limited to 9 holes in the evening when it's not quite so bad.
hah we haven't been able to play a round where it has been below 90 in 2 months in North Carolina. Last Friday was the coolest in a long time (91 at 3pm, down to the upper 80s when we were done).

This is probably the most consistently hot summer I can remember.

pmac posted:

Every other week would be a good interval. At this point in your development, you'll benefit from having an instructor checking your form. Having lessons more often can help but if you're not putting in a bunch of reps you're basically paying him to tell you the same thing over and over. I'd also recommend spending at least 50% of your lesson and practice time on pitching, chipping and putting. If you want to break 100 you'll be best served by learning to consistently get your ball on the green when you're near it and 2-putt once you're on it.
That 50% is all shots under 100 yards, right? I probably do that although I will admit I am very lax on practicing putting. It is by far the strongest part of my game (I probably putt as well as my friends who shoot in the 80s) but I do neglect it when I practice. I am more concerned with being able to consistently move the ball forward at this point. As soon as my swing is consistent enough the ball goes up and forward every try I will work much harder on my short game. I feel like being able to swing is more important at the moment. Plus no one wants to play with someone who tops the ball twice in a row at 20 yards a clip. If I have an extra putt every hole it doesn't slow the game down nearly as much.

Anyway, every other week it is.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

That 50% is all shots under 100 yards, right? I probably do that although I will admit I am very lax on practicing putting. It is by far the strongest part of my game (I probably putt as well as my friends who shoot in the 80s) but I do neglect it when I practice. I am more concerned with being able to consistently move the ball forward at this point. As soon as my swing is consistent enough the ball goes up and forward every try I will work much harder on my short game. I feel like being able to swing is more important at the moment. Plus no one wants to play with someone who tops the ball twice in a row at 20 yards a clip. If I have an extra putt every hole it doesn't slow the game down nearly as much.

Anyway, every other week it is.

Yeah, inside 100 yards. Lessons every other week or so and some concerted practice with whatever drills & routines your instructor gives you will do wonders. Since you're keeping up with your buddies on the greens you'll be knocking strokes off your score pretty quickly.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Ribsauce posted:

hah we haven't been able to play a round where it has been below 90 in 2 months in North Carolina. Last Friday was the coolest in a long time (91 at 3pm, down to the upper 80s when we were done).

I feel your pain. I live in Charlotte and every time I've played for the last 2 months it's been 90-105 degrees. Course is still packed every drat time though.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
How about Twoods going -5 under today and being 1 off the lead!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I thought you guys just quit on me. I would post a scorecard dump, but eh. Last three rounds, I've shot even, -2, and +2 (approximation of today's round). I've been driving and hitting the ball progressively better each round, but the greens at the courses have been progressively worse. Today was enough of a joke (hairy, bumpy, but somehow faster than you'd expect) that I didn't even bother logging the score in Golfshot. Didn't make a single putt of note except for a 35 footer for birdie. Stupid game.

I got the PGA Tour Live subscription, so I watched most of Tiger's round this morning. He's just striping the ball off the tee, and he's thrown some absolute darts into the greens, but he's been blowing a lot of putts way past the hole. He made all of his come backers, but he needs to get a little more dialed in on the speed.

Guys, if he wins this tournament and gets into Firestone next week...:gizz:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I havnt quit, I just havnt gotten out due to this lovely weather. Im a fair weather golfer so this 32+ heat (plus humidity) is keeping me away from the course. :shobon:

Last round was 101, 2 away from my goal, and was my first round with nothing higher than a triple. Im so gonna break 100 this summer. I can feel it. :toot:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Furnaceface posted:

Last round was 101, 2 away from my goal, and was my first round with nothing higher than a triple. Im so gonna break 100 this summer. I can feel it. :toot:
I was so stoked today and then crushed. I thought I shot a 100 which would be my new low score but I didn't count a hole when I added it up, so I think it was a 105. I putted terrible and the greens at this course were just garbage. I played with 2 buddies who shoot in the 70s and another guy who shoots low 80s and I swear the longest putt anyone dropped was 9 feet. It was also at least 95 degrees for the like 100th day in a row. I love North Carolina but this summer is out of control.

I am about to sign up for a 4 lesson plan so I will hit that drat 99 soon!

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I recently was given access to https://golfscrimmages.com, which is created by PGA Pro Trent Wearner (he's on Golf Channel and is a "top teacher" in Colorado). I have 3 free accounts that I can pass out if anyone is interested. The site basically gives you a bunch of practice games and allows you to add more structure to your practice sessions. The platform isn't particularly well built but the games are good. Let me know if you want an invite.

Also x-posting from SA Mart: I have a copy of Rory McIlroy PGA Tour for Xbox One new/sealed if anyone's on the fence to buy it. I don't have a console so it's wasted on me. $45 shipped! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734079

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I played a practice round with my boss yesterday for the Member-Guest tourney that's later today and tomorrow. We were a few shots over par which isn't terrible but I was hoping to be a bit lower. There were a couple holes where we each hit a bad shot and it cost us. He was hitting some bad slices off the tee so hopefully he gets that dialed in a bit. Almost all of the par 4s are short enough that we had 50-90 yards left if I hit a decent drive, and there's only one hole on the course where my draw off the tee doesn't work well so now that I have a better idea of the line to take on some of them we should be in good shape.

We're in the lowest of the six flights as 13 and 28 handicaps, there's like 120 teams total. It should be interesting to see how scores end up and if I finally get to witness any of the sandbagging drama I see people bitch about on GolfWRX constantly.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

pmac posted:

I recently was given access to https://golfscrimmages.com, which is created by PGA Pro Trent Wearner (he's on Golf Channel and is a "top teacher" in Colorado). I have 3 free accounts that I can pass out if anyone is interested. The site basically gives you a bunch of practice games and allows you to add more structure to your practice sessions. The platform isn't particularly well built but the games are good. Let me know if you want an invite.

I'll take an invite.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

pmac posted:

I will take one...thanks :)

I was actually trying to figure out some drills I could do in my yard to improve.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009

pmac posted:

Also x-posting from SA Mart: I have a copy of Rory McIlroy PGA Tour for Xbox One new/sealed if anyone's on the fence to buy it. I don't have a console so it's wasted on me. $45 shipped! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734079

I'll take an invite please!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Oh poo poo I just bought a GolfNow Hot Deal tee time at Golf Club of Houston (site of the Shell Houston Open) for tomorrow morning at 9:10. $69! Typical GN price is $109-119, regular price is $205.

I have to run a 5k with my wife tonight, I've never run a 5k, I do not like running, and it hurts my shins. I've never played there before, and I wanted my first time there to play from the tips. MY BODY WILL BE BROKEN!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Literally anyone can run a 5k, you'll be fine. I used to run them (slowly) on an all night bartending shift and smoking. You'll be fine haha

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

minstrels posted:

I'll take an invite please!

I sent PMs to Kameh and Ribsauce asking for email addresses so they can get the invites. Minstrels, you mind posting yours briefly so I can get it sent over to you since you don't have messages?

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009

pmac posted:

I sent PMs to Kameh and Ribsauce asking for email addresses so they can get the invites. Minstrels, you mind posting yours briefly so I can get it sent over to you since you don't have messages?

michaelmcgrorty2@gmail.com

I hit my first ever par on a par 4 today. The highlight of an otherwise average round for me of 118 (only my third round ever) with the only other notable hole being a 136yd par 3 that I managed to bogey after sticking my first shot into the water and then somehow hitting to a foot with my third.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So I think I figured out why I hate the driver; of the two I have, both are low loft (8 and 9) and really hard to hit properly with the slower club head speed of my swing. I tried my dad's 10.5 and I was hitting it just as good as I hit my 3W, only 30+ yards further, so now Im in the market for a driver. And a 5W.

Is this one of those cases where Id be better off hitting up a golf shop for a proper fitting?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Furnaceface posted:

So I think I figured out why I hate the driver; of the two I have, both are low loft (8 and 9) and really hard to hit properly with the slower club head speed of my swing. I tried my dad's 10.5 and I was hitting it just as good as I hit my 3W, only 30+ yards further, so now Im in the market for a driver. And a 5W.

Is this one of those cases where Id be better off hitting up a golf shop for a proper fitting?

8° and 9° are craaazy low loft, especially if you don't have a lot of clubhead speed and a positive angle of attach on your driver swing.

http://wishongolf.com/3-key-specifications-of-driver-fitting/
http://www.iseekgolf.com/clubfittingandrepairs/7313-angle-of-attack-its-role-in-fitting

Here's a quick read on the topic, for your perusal :)

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kameh posted:

Oh poo poo I just bought a GolfNow Hot Deal tee time at Golf Club of Houston (site of the Shell Houston Open) for tomorrow morning at 9:10. $69! Typical GN price is $109-119, regular price is $205.

I have to run a 5k with my wife tonight, I've never run a 5k, I do not like running, and it hurts my shins. I've never played there before, and I wanted my first time there to play from the tips. MY BODY WILL BE BROKEN!

Be the rear end in a top hat that runs on any small strip of grass during the 5k. Save your shins, ignore the worst kind of sperglord runners.