Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

Wouldn't that just make you The Flash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPY3d0BxTbI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, I see it as branching timelines, which allows for things like T3 and the TV show to coexist.

I'm actually giving serious thought to doing a YouTube video series about it, just for chuckles. It would go movie by movie, looking at what evidence is presented as to how time travel and branching timelines works within the Terminator series, and then visually map out the path the narrative shows us as it hops between branches.

I would genuinely like to see this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Darko posted:

The snake is the true hero of the Bible in a pretty straight read, sooo...

Adam is just a regular Joe living a blissful life, Eve is the henchman, Lillith is Kat Dennings in Thor, and the Snake is the hero for giving man agency and God is the mastermind big bad whose burger joint plans fall apart.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
There's no way God put that tree there without knowing exactly what would happen.

Eating the apple is like creating SkyNet: humanity is going to to do it eventually regardless of how much you mess with the timeline.

Yes, I want SkyNet to send a Terminator back to prevent the Fall of Man, ensuring that it will be created by a benevolent humanity :getin:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hodgepodge posted:

Yes, I want SkyNet to send a Terminator back to prevent the Fall of Man, ensuring that it will be created by a benevolent humanity :getin:

Due to the data available Skynet sends the Terminator back 6000 years into the past where it gets promptly eaten by a dinosaur.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neo Rasa posted:

They should make it like Trancers where time travel means you take deugs so that your concsiousness leaves your body and you possess the body of one of your ancestors in the past.

I'm a multi-racial creature that couldn't have existed prior to the 20th century so to me, this is a boring notion

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I just watched the Bluray of the original Terminator. I was really impressed with how they remastered the ending. I remember the stop motion T800 looking terrible on VHS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ghostwritingduck posted:

I just watched the Bluray of the original Terminator. I was really impressed with how they remastered the ending. I remember the stop motion T800 looking terrible on VHS.

It still looks terrible on Netflix.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

James Cameron personally oversees the bluray transfers of his own movies to make sure they look exactly the way he wants them to in terms of film grain, brightness, color balance, etc. it's the main reason True Lies and The Abyss haven't come out on bluray yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Terminator on Netflix straight up isn't using the remastered bluray transfer at all for whatever reason.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Netflix version is from the 2006 Blu-ray, not the most recent remaster.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I just saw this film, and though Clarke was the absolute wrong choice for John Connor I thought this film was a blast.

7/10

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why was Clarke a bad choice? He was the most interesting presence in the film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Agreed. Outside of Arnold he brought something more interesting to the film.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

He had a huge head and a tiny mouth

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Still does I bet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

A month later, he's still my favorite part of the film. He's just so interesting to look at.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

I still sort of think no one outside of Arnold was really hit the sweet spot of their characters in the movie, though. Now, someone like Nic Cage as John Connor, though, might have been REALLY interesting.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still sort of think no one outside of Arnold was really hit the sweet spot of their characters in the movie, though. Now, someone like Nic Cage as John Connor, though, might have been REALLY interesting.

Jason Clarke was fun, no need to replace John Connor. Now, Nic Cage as Sarah Connor would have been interesting. Would make Kyle Reese falling in love with the photo more clearly a longing for an idyllic past rather than just lusting after some hot baby.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I would watch a dystoian robot movie where every character is Nicholas Cage. Not just that he plays every role from the get go, but a film that has a varied cast playing various vaguely naturally born and grown lifeforms like Blade Runner where as the the movies goes on more and more characters are revealed to actually be Nicholas Cage. But in a world where you're Nicholas Cage, does presenting yourself as a robot or human even matter?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Neo Rasa posted:

I would watch a dystoian robot movie where every character is Nicholas Cage. Not just that he plays every role from the get go, but a film that has a varied cast playing various vaguely naturally born and grown lifeforms like Blade Runner where as the the movies goes on more and more characters are revealed to actually be Nicholas Cage. But in a world where you're Nicholas Cage, does presenting yourself as a robot or human even matter?

"I'm Nic Cage" *lights cigarette, camera pans out to street full of Nic Cages walking on the sidewalk "But in the future...we all are"

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
OK... Connor says that he can kill his parents in the past without killing himself. If that's the case, what's the point of sending anyone back in time in the first place?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ghostwritingduck posted:

OK... Connor says that he can kill his parents in the past without killing himself. If that's the case, what's the point of sending anyone back in time in the first place?

That's classified.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ghostwritingduck posted:

Without killing himself. He says it right there in that scene, he believes that time travellers are orphaned from their timeline (or however exactly he puts it). Since he's no longer tethered to a timeline, he can kill Sarah and not pop out of existence - but killing Sarah still changes the future of her timeline since she'll be dead.

Was he right? WHO KNOWS?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yeah no thanks.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Without killing himself. He says it right there in that scene, he believes that time travellers are orphaned from their timeline (or however exactly he puts it). Since he's no longer tethered to a timeline, he can kill Sarah and not pop out of existence - but killing Sarah still changes the future of her timeline since she'll be dead.

Was he right? WHO KNOWS?

Aren't we given enough evidence to see that he's not orphaned from time considering Kyle receives a second set of memories from the altered timeline? It seems to me that the filmmakers put that in so Connor could be a physical threat when they could have just had Connor be willing to die to prevent his younger self from stopping Skynet.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We've gone past the point where they're fighting for the singular 'future', they're fighting for which side is going to have the most co-existing parallel universes of Skynet or human dominated futures.

Next step, we replace the time bubble with a time funnel: Sliders/Terminator crossover.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Jason Clarke sold me on him being Connor when he's shooting at the Giant Robot early in the film and screaming "I'm right here, come and get me!"

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Yeah I was 100% happy with John Connor, in terms of both personality and acting.

And looks, too. Yeah he's got an unusual face, but it's refreshing that he's not a typical Hollywood handsome guy. Plus Edward Furlong grew up to be a bit of an unusual-looking guy as well. I could believe that this new John Connor was the adult version of the boy in T2.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Aren't we given enough evidence to see that he's not orphaned from time considering Kyle receives a second set of memories from the altered timeline? It seems to me that the filmmakers put that in so Connor could be a physical threat when they could have just had Connor be willing to die to prevent his younger self from stopping Skynet.

Receiving alternate memories isn't supposed to be a normal consequence of history being altered, though. It's supposed to be an unusual side-effect of being in a time bubble while a massive history-altering event is occurring (Connor getting infected by Skynet).

Since Kyle is a time traveller, he is orphaned from time, though. If someone went and murdered young Kyle Reece in the new 2016, original adult Kyle Reece would stay alive. This is consistent throughout the whole Terminator franchise - in Terminator 2, John doesn't disappear when the future war is supposedly prevented, even though he's the son of a time traveller from the non-existent future war. (And Arnie doesn't disappear either, he has to be lowered into the molten metal.)

Kyle gaining new memories due to being in the time bubble is pseudo-science nonsense... but I'll give them some credit as having Kyle be the one that knows about Genisys is a more interesting way for the characters to learn about the new future. The alternative would have been Pops being sent from the Genisys future and knowing that Judgement Day is 2017. That would make the most logical sense, but it would be dull as it it would be a re-hash of the way Terminator 3 and Sarah Connor Chronicles handled it.

Of course, the question is... what would happen if someone killed young alternate Kyle Reece before his birthday party where he gets the Genisys tablet and before he talks to himself in the mirror about Genisys being Skynet? Would original Kyle Reece suddenly loose those memories? If not, then I guess Kyle didn't have to go talk to himself at the end of the film... Gaaaagh

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 3, 2015

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Terminator is extremely fun, because you have this crazed Vietnam veteran running around, rambling about the loving lizard people.

What removes the fun is saying "oh, that's not a lizard-person; it's just a T-6532. Here are its technical specifications. It deals 45 points of damage per strike, and is weak against Grass-Type pokemons".

I love you SMG.

Terminator is GOOD and I hope it wins many TOMATOES and a HUGE GOLDEN IDOL like the one in KARNOV.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I enjoyed this movie.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

So, is Genisys' judgement day the "original" Judgement day? The one referred to in Terminator, before the discovery of the T-800 CPU by CyberDyne? Or is there just so much dumb poo poo in the timeline that who knows anymore?

Sammus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 14, 2015

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I think that Genisys subscribes to the idea that the original Terminator timeline was a time loop, and it was always a time loop, so John always had a father from the future, and Skynet was always built using future parts from the first Terminator that was crushed in Cyberdyne's factory.

Skynet sends nano-John-Connor back to ensure that Skynet gets created, even if the timeloop gets broken. Which indeed happens when Sarah/Kyle/Pops destroys the Terminator in sewers (rather than the Cyberdyne factory) and then melts it in acid.

And similarly if the T-1000 had succeeded in its mission then the T-800 wouldn't have ended up crushed in Cyberdyne's factory. So Matt Smith/Skynet knew that its time fuckery had a good chance of undoing its own existence, and sent John Connor to 2014 as a contingency for that.

ALTERNATIVELY... if you prefer the idea that there was an "original" timeline without time travel where Kyle wasn't John's father and Skynet was created without future parts, then you can reasonably assume that Genisys was the "original" birth of Skynet, without any future components. And since Matt Smith/Skynet is supposed to have travelled between timelines and seen all the outcomes (where Skynet loses to humanity each time), it makes sense that it sent John Connor back to protect that original birth of Skynet and also help speed up Skynet's development.

Either way, the plot still works. And since the idea of an "original" timeline is something that Terminator fans have never been able to agree on, it's smart that the Genisys writers decided to neither confirm or deny either theory.

Also, regardless of which theory it looks like John's mission was also to help speed up Skynet's development and to give Skynet an edge the moment it went active, by building it a time machine and mimetic polyalloy for creating T-1000s. Cyberdyne was struggling to get time travel to work with the limitations of human knowledge and engineering, but presumably Skynet would be able to fill in the last few gaps shortly after going online, and then immediately have a ready-made time machine and an army of T-1000s that it could send through time to defend itself from any threat. Good luck defeating Skynet when it already has time travel and liquid metal Terminators before it launches its attack on humanity!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

your evil twin posted:

I think that Genisys subscribes to the idea that the original Terminator timeline was a time loop, and it was always a time loop, so John always had a father from the future, and Skynet was always built using future parts from the first Terminator that was crushed in Cyberdyne's factory.

Skynet sends nano-John-Connor back to ensure that Skynet gets created, even if the timeloop gets broken. Which indeed happens when Sarah/Kyle/Pops destroys the Terminator in sewers (rather than the Cyberdyne factory) and then melts it in acid.

And similarly if the T-1000 had succeeded in its mission then the T-800 wouldn't have ended up crushed in Cyberdyne's factory. So Matt Smith/Skynet knew that its time fuckery had a good chance of undoing its own existence, and sent John Connor to 2014 as a contingency for that.

ALTERNATIVELY... if you prefer the idea that there was an "original" timeline without time travel where Kyle wasn't John's father and Skynet was created without future parts, then you can reasonably assume that Genisys was the "original" birth of Skynet, without any future components. And since Matt Smith/Skynet is supposed to have travelled between timelines and seen all the outcomes (where Skynet loses to humanity each time), it makes sense that it sent John Connor back to protect that original birth of Skynet and also help speed up Skynet's development.

Either way, the plot still works. And since the idea of an "original" timeline is something that Terminator fans have never been able to agree on, it's smart that the Genisys writers decided to neither confirm or deny either theory.

Also, regardless of which theory it looks like John's mission was also to help speed up Skynet's development and to give Skynet an edge the moment it went active, by building it a time machine and mimetic polyalloy for creating T-1000s. Cyberdyne was struggling to get time travel to work with the limitations of human knowledge and engineering, but presumably Skynet would be able to fill in the last few gaps shortly after going online, and then immediately have a ready-made time machine and an army of T-1000s that it could send through time to defend itself from any threat. Good luck defeating Skynet when it already has time travel and liquid metal Terminators before it launches its attack on humanity!

I know this is going to be one of those posts, but I think the "original" timeline is John is the product of Sarah's either boyfriend then ex bf or another one-night stand of her's and that "Alpha" John happens to be in the right place, right time scenario to become the antagonist to Skynet. Skynet going by its computer logic MAKES John important enough to use time travel to try and undo him, in doing so, they set up each timeline that stems from there afterward to be a loop yes, but to also lead to upgrades on both sides, which is why we now have the ending of Genisys. Had Skynet not focused on John there are thousands of other timelines that someone could be the leader of the Human Resistance, Hell, John could've been Pablo Connor or an actual member of the former military. Just my thoughts on it but it's about as plausible as any other person with access to the internet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There's no "original" timeline because the first Terminator is a Messiah prophecy story. Kyle falls from the sky, impregnates the virgin, and she births JC who was the prophesied savior. It's a causal loop, an the Biblical parallels are a result of this loop.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Diabetic posted:

I know this is going to be one of those posts, but I think the "original" timeline is John is the product of Sarah's either boyfriend then ex bf or another one-night stand of her's and that "Alpha" John happens to be in the right place, right time scenario to become the antagonist to Skynet. Skynet going by its computer logic MAKES John important enough to use time travel to try and undo him, in doing so, they set up each timeline that stems from there afterward to be a loop yes, but to also lead to upgrades on both sides, which is why we now have the ending of Genisys. Had Skynet not focused on John there are thousands of other timelines that someone could be the leader of the Human Resistance, Hell, John could've been Pablo Connor or an actual member of the former military. Just my thoughts on it but it's about as plausible as any other person with access to the internet.

I've always enjoyed this theory but the funny thing about it is that it was originally created to explain why Edward Furlong is such an annoying little poo poo in T2. His genetic makeup isn't the same as the Connor!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I've always enjoyed this theory but the funny thing about it is that it was originally created to explain why Edward Furlong is such an annoying little poo poo in T2. His genetic makeup isn't the same as the Connor!

Also, he was 12! Everyone sucks when they are 12, haha.

I'm on the final episode of TSCC and it's a pretty solid show. Lena Headey was a really good Sarah Connor, and the use of time travel is a lot of fun especially in the aforementioned episode where there is a glitch when they send back a terminator to kill someone in 2005 and it is sent back 90 years earlier and he becomes this man of the people big businessman & rebuilds the building, sealing himself inside for like 80 years.

Was the "they always use the front door" joke ever in the movies?

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Diabetic posted:

T1 is a closed loop: Kyle Reese is always John Connor's father, Judgement Day always happens, etc.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Sasquatch! posted:

T1 is a closed loop: Kyle Reese is always John Connor's father, Judgement Day always happens, etc.

Terminator worked as a closed loop until the sequels messed it up. It was worth it for T2 though.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Sasquatch! posted:

I adore the closed loop of T1, but it is hosed to Hell by T2 etc. So this is how I process it in my head canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Darko posted:

There's no "original" timeline because the first Terminator is a Messiah prophecy story. Kyle falls from the sky, impregnates the virgin, and she births JC who was the prophesied savior. It's a causal loop, an the Biblical parallels are a result of this loop.

So Arnold is Satan? :birddrugs:

• Locked thread