Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

skooma512 posted:

When to the ER. Waited 4 hours to start treatment, waited 2 hours for treatment to complete and most of that was waiting. drat thing wouldn't stop bleeding after they pulled off the nail. My vicodin prescription got denied because it's not handwritten, even though it's on fancy special paper like a check would be, so after all that a motherfucker can't even get high.

I work in healthcare, I hate healthcare. You would think they would show a coworker some love. At least the nurse was pretty.

I'm going to invest in some steel toed shoes. You never know when a UPS battery, printer, or all in one decides it wants a piece of you.

Steel toes are great to work in if you find a pair that fits, you feel basically invincible.

Also larchesdanrew please let us know you're OK and haven't burned down your workplace and salted the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I work at a desk now but I still wear steel-toe shoes at work in the Winter because they're waterproof, warm, and free (one pair/year), and both the domestic brands are extremely well-built and comfortable shoes that fit my weird Mongol foot better than any other non-bespoke shoe. (The same companies also make cheaper "normal" shoes and those are comfortable as well of course but also really ugly and I'd have to pay for them myself.)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

We all have to wear steel toe dress shoes as well. We get a pair each year provided by the company. They really should be worn by any computer tech who ever has to move pcs or ups units around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Varkk posted:

We all have to wear steel toe dress shoes as well. We get a pair each year provided by the company. They really should be worn by any computer tech who ever has to move pcs or ups units around.

Also great for anyone who has to work around desks. If god had intended man to work near desks, toes would not have any nerve endings.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The two remaining members of my IT department (my boss and myself) are out of the office today. He's flying out to the East Coast for a funeral and I'm heading to the beach for my birthday. We didn't tell anyone we'd both be give because we figured they'd freak the gently caress out. Sadly I'm the one on call, but part of me is tempted to just ignore any calls unless they are literally "the servers are on fire what do we do :kingsley:." What's the worst that could happen? :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

The two remaining members of my IT department (my boss and myself) are out of the office today. He's flying out to the East Coast for a funeral and I'm heading to the beach for my birthday. We didn't tell anyone we'd both be give because we figured they'd freak the gently caress out. Sadly I'm the one on call, but part of me is tempted to just ignore any calls unless they are literally "the servers are on fire what do we do :kingsley:." What's the worst that could happen? :v:

What would you do if the servers were on fire? Grab a bucket of sea water and head back?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

What would you do if the servers were on fire? Grab a bucket of sea water and head back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesx85EHRTo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jerry Cotton posted:

My boss is a consultant, he's got his own employees we could call in to take care of things if poo poo really hit the fan. Fridays are usually pretty quiet so it's more than likely no one will even notice we're gone.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sirotan posted:

My boss is a consultant, he's got his own employees we could call in to take care of things if poo poo really hit the fan. Fridays are usually pretty quiet so it's more than likely no one will even notice we're gone.

Good! Now go pretend you're not a seal.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

RadicalR posted:

Good! Now go pretend you're not a seal.

Why would you tell a seal to not be a seal at THE BEACH??

And i found something to rant about at this job. This place has the most needlessly complex DNS infrastructure EVER.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

nitrogen posted:

Why would you tell a seal to not be a seal at THE BEACH??

Because people might think Sirotan escaped from the zoo or something, and we'll never hear from her again. :smith:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
A loose seal?

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

I get at least 3 cryptowall infections a day because our clients refuse to follow safe email procedures

Client posted:

Why wouldn't I open it???? It says I owed money and I handle finances for this business. Maybe your security isn't up to par???"

:smith:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dick Boat posted:

Maybe your security isn't up to par???

If that's an actual quote, I'm impressed that you have managed to avoid impaling them on a pike as an example. Jesus christ.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Dick Boat posted:

Maybe your security isn't up to par???
"Our security works perfectly."

"...until someone holds the door open."

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

Don't forget that steel toed shoes can still look nice!

That fact may be true, but your photo certainly isn't an example of it.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dick Boat posted:

I get at least 3 cryptowall infections a day because our clients refuse to follow safe email procedures

It says I owed money

:smith:

"Well, now you do owe money. To me, motherfucker. Pay up." :toughguy:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sirotan posted:

What's the worst that could happen? :v:

"The server was on fire, so we poured the contents of the speculum bucket over it to put it out!"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
one of the few bright spots about texas is you can wear steel toe boots with anything and no one bats an eye

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

So since it was pretty convenient for our Finnish and Swedish users to be able to call us (the help desk) 24/7 and get service in their own language the night and weekend shifts were outsourced to Bulgaria or some poo poo.
These guys don't know what the gently caress they are doing, which leads to them sending tickets like the following gem I got:

"User please change to 3g to change to cellular.
Affected area: Windows server platforms"

Uhhh...
Sure chief, let me get right on that.

(I showed my boss the ticket and went what the gently caress do we do with poo poo like this and he just told me to send it back and ask them to elaborate :D )

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell they mean with that ticket.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

go3 posted:

one of the few bright spots about texas is you can wear steel toe boots with anything and no one bats an eye

Alaska is like that too, I wear work boots and carhart pants with a polo shirt for work.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Fool posted:

Alaska is like that too, I wear work boots and carhart pants with a polo shirt for work.

I basically got dressed in the dark one day before work, wound up in a pair of black cargo pants, black polo shirt, and my steel toe boots I wore because I was riding my motorcycle to work (Not in IT, I just enjoy this thread) and my manager told me I "look like a militant" and to never wear that combination of clothes again.

I guess there are uncrossable lines in PA

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A vacation followed by a bereavement came in...

... and I had to sit shiva with my family through yesterday, the day my boss refused to let me take off because nobody would be in. I don't want to know how it was covered, and I don't care.

Something apparently happened, because the boss told me today they hired a temp.

For two days a week.

YotJ continues in earnest. After mulling on it today I think that any place that would still have a sysadmin doing helpdesk 3 days out of the week because the cheapest person they could hire was still going through college (and is more into Linux, so I'm going to have to train him on Windows helpdesk/desktop support) is still not the best place to work.

I spent all of today catching up on stuff my boss couldn't/didn't do while I was out and all the other projects, so I'm going to go back to him on Monday, ask about what's going on with my raise request, and when he pulls the "we hired a guy" I'm going to do a rough calculation of 60% of an FTE helpdesk guy's salary, add some extra for good measure, and say "for the other three days a week, and the continuous every-other-week on-call, I want this much. If the powers that be had authorized a full-time and stuck with it back in April, we wouldn't be here."

I expect they won't give me anything.

Time to catch up on 7 more pages of backlog!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

MJP posted:

A vacation followed by a bereavement came in...

... and I had to sit shiva with my family through yesterday, the day my boss refused to let me take off because nobody would be in. I don't want to know how it was covered, and I don't care.

Something apparently happened, because the boss told me today they hired a temp.

For two days a week.

YotJ continues in earnest. After mulling on it today I think that any place that would still have a sysadmin doing helpdesk 3 days out of the week because the cheapest person they could hire was still going through college (and is more into Linux, so I'm going to have to train him on Windows helpdesk/desktop support) is still not the best place to work.

I spent all of today catching up on stuff my boss couldn't/didn't do while I was out and all the other projects, so I'm going to go back to him on Monday, ask about what's going on with my raise request, and when he pulls the "we hired a guy" I'm going to do a rough calculation of 60% of an FTE helpdesk guy's salary, add some extra for good measure, and say "for the other three days a week, and the continuous every-other-week on-call, I want this much. If the powers that be had authorized a full-time and stuck with it back in April, we wouldn't be here."

I expect they won't give me anything.

Time to catch up on 7 more pages of backlog!

I'm sorry for your loss, MJP.

Also, best of luck on the raise request! We're all rooting for you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PCOS Bill posted:

I basically got dressed in the dark one day before work, wound up in a pair of black cargo pants, black polo shirt, and my steel toe boots I wore because I was riding my motorcycle to work (Not in IT, I just enjoy this thread) and my manager told me I "look like a militant" and to never wear that combination of clothes again.

I guess there are uncrossable lines in PA

Giving the benefit of the doubt, is your manager a veteran? Or is he just someone who watched too much :foxnews:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nexxai posted:

Thanks for your opinion! It's just a quick example to compare them to boots like these:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Volmarias posted:

Giving the benefit of the doubt, is your manager a veteran? Or is he just someone who watched too much :foxnews:

Honestly, just an rear end in a top hat I think. This was a few years ago, I hadn't even thought about it until I read the chain of replies I replied to since it happened.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm sorry for your loss, MJP.

Also, best of luck on the raise request! We're all rooting for you.

Don't be, he was 98 and on a decline for the last few months. He was healthy for basically all of those years. He took enough vitamins every day to put ten pharmacists' kids through college. Woke up at 4 AM to be at the dealership by 5:15, before anyone else, up until the day the credit crunch killed his commercial lenders.

More darkly humorous, they can't say no to the one-two punch of bereavement + sitting shiva with the family (religious observance). Thus whatever happened Thursday didn't involve me being there.

Woulda been nice to have that PTO day back, but oh well.

Meanwhile, a major VAR/MSP/big-rear end IT company wants to face-to-face after a quick phone screen. It's one of two roles: SQL admin or VMware admin. I want VMware, they think I know enough for SQL, I think I don't know nearly enough, but they seemed to like what I had to say.

Now to ask them to reschedule, because they want me in when the new guy starts.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why the gently caress would you reschedule a :frogout: opportunity for your current company that treat you like poo poo and can't give you a straight answer on anything?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

nexxai posted:

Yes, that particular example is a steel toed shoe: http://www.jallatte.fr/en/products/j-smarter/models/348-jalpalme

MJP posted:

Don't you loving dare.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MJP posted:

Uh, no...you go to that interview and YOTfuckingJ out of that shithole, son

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Vicas posted:

A loose seal?

I don't care about Lucille!

I'm sorry.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Working with Big Banks is putting me on suicide watch.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 15, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RadicalR posted:

Because people might think Sirotan escaped from the zoo or something, and we'll never hear from her again. :smith:

Tough day at the office:

Ended up getting a half dozen calls (which I mostly ignored), of that only one person bothered to leave a message. Luckily I got that one before I made it to the beach. Someone will probably bitch to us next week about being unresponsive but whatever, nothing caught on fire.

Now I'm looking much more like the lobster sitotan in my av. Should have reapplied sunscreen, it burnnnnssss.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 1, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sirotan posted:

Now I'm looking much more like the lobster sitotan in my av. Should have reapplied sunscreen, it burnnnnssss.

That's the burn of freedom. Enjoy it while you can.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Worth it, I'm sure

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sirotan posted:

Tough day at the office:

Ended up getting a half dozen calls (which I mostly ignored), of that only one person bothered to leave a message. Luckily I got that one before I made it to the beach. Someone will probably bitch to us next week about being unresponsive but whatever, nothing caught on fire.

Can you post your beer mug again?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MisterOblivious posted:

Don't you loving dare.

Ozz81 posted:

Uh, no...you go to that interview and YOTfuckingJ out of that shithole, son

If I'm going to be gone Tuesday AM I'd need a drat good reason on such short notice. At least if I can get another day, rather than day 1 of the part-timer, there's a better chance the boss will approve it.

If I just disappear and be out of contact I'd need a darn good reason. Car accident, medical emergency, etc. Rather not pull too many surprises lest they catch on I'm looking elsewhere.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MJP posted:

If I'm going to be gone Tuesday AM I'd need a drat good reason on such short notice. At least if I can get another day, rather than day 1 of the part-timer, there's a better chance the boss will approve it.

If I just disappear and be out of contact I'd need a darn good reason. Car accident, medical emergency, etc. Rather not pull too many surprises lest they catch on I'm looking elsewhere.

Dentist Appointment -> Severe tooth pain? Doctor appointment with blood work scheduled? Explosive Diarrhea?

What we're saying is GO TO THAT INTERVIEW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gerdalti posted:

Dentist Appointment -> Severe tooth pain? Doctor appointment with blood work scheduled? Explosive Diarrhea?

What we're saying is GO TO THAT INTERVIEW!

Yeah, when we have a candidate reschedule, they do slip a little on the list of "who do we hire". That doesn't mean we won't still offer them something, but it also means your actual interview has to be that much better.

• Locked thread