Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
If any goons are on the fence about this: I have zero past experience with EQ2 but was always curious about it, and with the release of the TLP server I decided to give it a shot. I've been having a ton of fun just rolling every single class and playing through the newbie island. I've even rerolled the same class for different races (on my 3rd SK). EQ2 has something a lot of current MMO's lack: which is that really distinct class/race flavor which makes creating a strong character concept really entertaining and rewarding. Give it a try, if you're looking for something new.

The hardest part for me was just adjusting to their graphics. For some reason I find EQ2 a little blurry and sometimes taxing on the eyes compared to the very bright and clear textures of something like wow. But once you get over that curve there's a real gem of a game underlying it. Even if I quit tomorrow, I feel like I got my 15$ worth just from playing the newbie island over and over.

Its got a real sandbox feel to it, because a perfectly valid way to play is to eschew most quests and explore/grind/collect and do tradeskills for gear. Or you can solo quest if that's your thing. It really feels like there's no one right way to play the game and that's awesome. I have been long been wanting more, not less, sandbox elements in my MMO.

Irrational Man fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Glad you're able to enjoy the game so much. I feel like you're too excited about race/class combos, they don't matter nearly as much as they once did. back in ye old days certain races weren't allowed to be certain classes. Barbarians couldn't be things like shadowknights, ogres couldn't be clerics. Racial stats mattered because your base stats weren't so quickly out paced by the stats gear gave you. That's the way it was and we liked it. :bahgawd:

Seriously, gently caress WoWs are style though. It's like an animated comic book. If anything else makes me never want to play that game, it's the art. ...and the community.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah, I'd always appreciated EQ2's realistic art style. Just look at the rats, or lizards, or bears, and you can tell they were modeled after the real thing and have realistic animations. The armor and weapons all skew towards that as well. Compared against the cartoonish look of WoW, among lots of others, its something i really appreciate

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Jade Star posted:

Glad you're able to enjoy the game so much. I feel like you're too excited about race/class combos, they don't matter nearly as much as they once did. back in ye old days certain races weren't allowed to be certain classes. Barbarians couldn't be things like shadowknights, ogres couldn't be clerics. Racial stats mattered because your base stats weren't so quickly out paced by the stats gear gave you. That's the way it was and we liked it. :bahgawd:

Seriously, gently caress WoWs are style though. It's like an animated comic book. If anything else makes me never want to play that game, it's the art. ...and the community.

Obviously its all relative, so compared to say classic EQ1 where ogres were objectively superior tanks, EQ2 is more flexible than that, but compared to most contemporary MMOs races still have a distinct flavor beyond just looking different that I really appreciate. I mean I get that its mostly academic but that's the kind of stuff I really enjoy sometimes. Although if they went back to what you describe I'd be all for it. I think limitations like that carve out a more vibrant world, and once you basically take the reigns off class/race combos it starts to lose its meaning.

The Bramble posted:

Yeah, I'd always appreciated EQ2's realistic art style. Just look at the rats, or lizards, or bears, and you can tell they were modeled after the real thing and have realistic animations. The armor and weapons all skew towards that as well. Compared against the cartoonish look of WoW, among lots of others, its something i really appreciate

I feel like ratonga and iksar really look exceptional. I think its a symptom of that time in which EQ2 was developed and released, but the humans/elves really have a "close-but-not-quite" look to them, that just ends up looking a little shabby to me. The beast races are stylized just enough that they've aged really well to my eyes. Then again I like wow's graphics. I like EQ2's art direction as well, but I feel the engine has something about it that makes it hard to pick out details as easily-- I feel like i'm straining a lot to see things. Maybe I need to adjust my settings more, I dunno. EQ2's art direction is amazing though, the concept art loading screens are excellent and I can see in general the world and creatures ooze a ton of character. Again, I feel like the engine has a hard time pulling it off, but maybe that's just me getting over my acclimation to something entirely different. I would say I have this kind of difficulty when playing any MMO to some extent, and the 2 games that feel the easiest on my eyes are wow and gw2. SWTOR always takes a little adjusting whenever I pick it up, but so far EQ2 took a lot of getting used to--even more than eq1.

Irrational Man fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 1, 2015

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

So is everyone here playing on the blue server? Or are there people on Deathtoll that want to hang out ?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
EQ2's original character models are one-way tickets to the uncanny valley. The only ones that aren't hideous claymation corpses are the beast races and Erudites, and Erudites only because they look like sectoids from X-Com.

The original zones are also pretty hideous since they're clearly trapped in "sequel to Everquest" zone design, and the draw distance and lighting effects that make Commonlands, Antonica, and Thundering Steppes look impressive for their time were not actually present at the time. Obelisk of Lost Souls might be the only cool zone in EQ2 at release.

E: And Solusek's Eye.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I've always enjoyed EQ2's art better than any other mmo. Unfortunately, I hate the thousands of graphical explosions that go off for every single ability that every single person uses. I always end up just turning them completely off, which sucks due to some of them being amazing.

The other aspect of EQ2, that has surprised me on being so much fun, is literally going through old raid zones to find an appearance item that I like. I've never really enjoyed appearance items before, but I've found myself looking at some armor someone is wearing and then thinking of how that would look good on an alt. There are some amazing armor sets in this game that are buried in old raid zones, but aren't old enough that I can solo them yet.

I still am amazed every time I go into solusek's eye. The lava part at the bottom always surprises me when I get to it. The rest of the instance is typical caverns, then it opens up into this lava filled room that is very well done. Unfortunately, I keep watching the lava instead of the path I'm taking and end up taking the wrong path.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
My tailor is now level 20 and is actually listed as a tailor. As soon as I start getting into t3 harvestables I should be able to get enough levels under me to break out cheap 16 slot bags and mastercrafted 20 slotters. I believe the backpacks are level 23, so if someone happens upon Advanced Tailor 23, shoot it to the character Pubbies

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

DeathSandwich posted:

My tailor is now level 20 and is actually listed as a tailor. As soon as I start getting into t3 harvestables I should be able to get enough levels under me to break out cheap 16 slot bags and mastercrafted 20 slotters. I believe the backpacks are level 23, so if someone happens upon Advanced Tailor 23, shoot it to the character Pubbies

I have gently caress tons of leather i don't use. Message me (Randyll) In game.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Jade Star posted:

I have gently caress tons of leather i don't use. Message me (Randyll) In game.

come run HQs! we can do shiny brass shield and foomby's now!

Cereal Connoisseur
Jun 29, 2011
Seriously considering playing this...I saw someone mention clerics being needed, is Inquisitor enjoyable?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cereal Connoisseur posted:

Seriously considering playing this...I saw someone mention clerics being needed, is Inquisitor enjoyable?

Inquisitor and furies are both a blast to play and solo pretty well. Inquisitor is kind of an in your face battle healer with a big hammer sort of guy and furies are similar except more of a ranged caster instead of melee.

Healing wise they don't do as well as the other priests, but they work well enough for 95% of content and they bring good buffs to compensate for the loss in healing.

Worse comes to worse, if you want to purely heal in the endgame level as Inquisitor or fury and betray to Templar or warden at max level.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Inqs can heal really well. Sure temps do it a little better, but unless someone is being anal about raid groups, inq/templar are interchangeable from my perspective as a tank.

Cereal Connoisseur
Jun 29, 2011
Cool, I enjoyed messing around with SK as a ftp and was on the fence, but if inquis is decent at solo and not totally gimp as a healer I'll have to give it a shot!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jade Star posted:

Inqs can heal really well. Sure temps do it a little better, but unless someone is being anal about raid groups, inq/templar are interchangeable from my perspective as a tank.

Granted it's been a few years since I was an Inquisitor, but if my memory is correct templars at the time could single target heal way harder and Inquisitor could group heal better. Inquisitor get a lot of incidental healing that triggers on melee attacks too, encouraging them to get in and swinging with the melee.

Cereal Connoisseur
Jun 29, 2011
Welp, for better or worse I'm now in game as Yamaraj

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've had an on again/off again relationship with this game since launch, and the last time I played was back when AoD launched in 2011/2012ish. Been toying with getting back into it again: are the TLP servers any fun? Also is there a decent population? I remember back when I last played that the world felt empty as gently caress, and it was one of the major reasons I ended up dropping it again.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Sydin posted:

I've had an on again/off again relationship with this game since launch, and the last time I played was back when AoD launched in 2011/2012ish. Been toying with getting back into it again: are the TLP servers any fun? Also is there a decent population? I remember back when I last played that the world felt empty as gently caress, and it was one of the major reasons I ended up dropping it again.

Come back. Stormhold is active as hell. At least 5-10 goons on at most times and tons of people in Antonica, Thundering Steppes, etc.

Edit: there was even a goon Ruins of Varsoon group today that I jealously wished I had time set aside for

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sweet, old school EQ2 with an actual player base sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Time to go hunt down my 11 years old SOE credentials. :v:

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
So I hate myself and am redownloading this game for the first time in a few years. Is mystic a thing I can reliably group/level/whatever with on the TLE server? Just looking for a useful support-style role.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bombogenesis posted:

So I hate myself and am redownloading this game for the first time in a few years. Is mystic a thing I can reliably group/level/whatever with on the TLE server? Just looking for a useful support-style role.

Based on LFG channel, the player load seems pretty balanced with maybe a slight skew towards being a little bit tank heavy. You can get a group with pretty much anything post level 10 with minimal issue. Every flavor of priest is wanted in groups. Good enchanters and bards seem to be in high demand as well.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Bombogenesis posted:

Mystics are healers, not support, but they are good healers and wanted in groups. They can...kinda..maybe solo? They lack damage output.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Mystic is really hard to solo :(

It's the lack of DPS and lack of power regen. But it's a great healer!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sarah posted:

Mystic is really hard to solo :(

It's the lack of DPS and lack of power regen. But it's a great healer!

Both the shamans are really hard to solo, really. They are both really potent in groups when played right though.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I'm leveling up a warden right now just for porting around. Already tired of walking.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Warden was what I played back in the day, and I remember it being a lot of fun. I was also a soloing machine until very late level heroics when I started to have to lean on mercs. Also portals are incredible.

I wanted to do something different so I forced myself not to roll warden again. Support is still my soul though, so I rolled troubadour and am currently annoyed at how bad they solo, at least at low levels.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the replies, I wound up rolling a troubadour. Sneaking around while playing the songs of my frog-people is wonderful.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Tossing up between going armourer or jeweler. Anyone with experience can tell me if the crafted stuff is actually any good for it's level for the equivalent level of dropped stuff (not including raid).

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Tai posted:

Tossing up between going armourer or jeweler. Anyone with experience can tell me if the crafted stuff is actually any good for it's level for the equivalent level of dropped stuff (not including raid).

November has a huge head start on being guild armorer, if that influences you at all.

That said, hand crafted armorer armor is okay... I mean if you have a full set of it waiting for you the moment you turn 10/20/30/40 than it's pretty nice till you quest or group and loot better stuff. But it is going to get replaced quickly. Master crafted stuff will naturally have a longer life of being useful, but I've personally not seen a shortage of equivalent armor out of dungeons or quest loot. Again, a full set of MC armor would be cool if it were just waiting for you the moment you were ready for it.

Jewelery... I don't really know. But I can tell you most of the materials are dirt cheap on the broker, unlike the hard metals for armorer.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I just saw someone die at a forge in New Halas.

Edit: Also in preparation for Tuesday's patch and the return of coin from writs, I'm about to go harvest until my eyes bleed.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 3, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jade Star posted:

November has a huge head start on being guild armorer, if that influences you at all.

That said, hand crafted armorer armor is okay... I mean if you have a full set of it waiting for you the moment you turn 10/20/30/40 than it's pretty nice till you quest or group and loot better stuff. But it is going to get replaced quickly. Master crafted stuff will naturally have a longer life of being useful, but I've personally not seen a shortage of equivalent armor out of dungeons or quest loot. Again, a full set of MC armor would be cool if it were just waiting for you the moment you were ready for it.

Jewelery... I don't really know. But I can tell you most of the materials are dirt cheap on the broker, unlike the hard metals for armorer.

Pretty sure we have someone with a head start on jeweler too. If you want to do the metalworking thing I believe that we need a weaponsmith.

Or just do whatever you want because, really, who cares?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Eh my jeweler is only about 10ish? I don't really care for it at the moment to be honest. A dedicated jeweler would be nice.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Hey goons, do we have any interest in putting a harvesting Depot in Neriak? I'm pretty sure we've got one on the qeynos side but I would be willing to get one set up in Neriak for our would be evil crafters. Since it's not on a guild hall lot, would that mean I'd have to explicitly permit anyone who wants to access it? The one annoyance with it is Neriak housing is so goddamn far from the crafting area to really be inconvenient to make multiple trips.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Since it's not on a guild hall lot, would that mean I'd have to explicitly permit anyone who wants to access it?

Yes. You'd need to give them Trustee.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
You could also buy a house in freeport. You're not just limited to Neriak.

Edit: You can also change your bind point to Freeport as well. You don't have to stay in Neriak. Which is nice because I really dislike Neriak's weird cave crafting set up. It's annoying.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Got some levels in last night, I had 100% vit so I needed to spend it. Went from 13 to 17 in WC. The group I hit 17 with wanted to hit up FG, but it was dinner time. The INQ is great fun, and being a Dark Elf INQ you can preach about hate all day and its totally legit roleplay. Also I am also a weapon smith, and will probably grind that to 30 sometime this week.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Seems to be quite a few of us in the late teen's level wise.

Nachocheese is a 19 dirge, I am 18 troubador. An Inquis at 17. I've seen a couple of others up and coming or in the low 20's. Might be worth getting a goon group up to rape a dungeon. I popped into SH last night with a pubbie group and it looked quite a good place to rape and pillage.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tai posted:

Seems to be quite a few of us in the late teen's level wise.

Nachocheese is a 19 dirge, I am 18 troubador. An Inquis at 17. I've seen a couple of others up and coming or in the low 20's. Might be worth getting a goon group up to rape a dungeon. I popped into SH last night with a pubbie group and it looked quite a good place to rape and pillage.

I'm in as a 19 coercer, hit up Pubbies in game. Fallen gate would be the next big dungeon post wc. I'm also going to need help with the greater lightstone hq here soon too.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I have a solution to the depot issue. I'm going to list my house for the housing and leaderboards. I'll post more info later on how to get there when I get back to Frostfang to list it.

Edit: Ok! It's listed as YOGS Depot.

Edit 2: B.Y.O.F.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

To get to the house, open Housing & Leaderboards. Go to Small Homes and click Filter: Guild. I have placed a Chemistry table in there for now. While you can't do work orders here, there is a harvest depot and you can craft from it as a Friend.

The big convenient thing is you can teleport to it to meet people and trade, and it will dump you back where you came from. Or if you want to craft someone a spell, etc.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 3, 2015